If DeSantis wins

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Okay, but you're still going to have to explain to me precisely what the harm is of men wearing traditionally women's clothing reading books to children, or using gender neutral (well, non-binary) pronouns. Because I just don't really see it.

There are all sorts of ways of transgressing against societal norms might be bad, but they seem like remarkably weak choices.
Well, that's just nonsense

What you described here isn't there to help society perpetuate, nor has it got a genetic basis nor does it help garner wealth

Forcing traditional pronouns or forcing men to wear pants is just propoganda that does not have any useful purpose and, if any, is destructive to soceity

Calling all this stuff a 'societal norm' is just propoganda, used by conservatives to force their will on others. It's got nothing to do with norms.

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people. Find what is useful from the people before us that is actually useful and jettison the rest

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Checkmate? Yeah, I'm calling checkmate on this one. Fran Fine, who canonically sleeps with her employers, is a sexualized caricature. Yes.
Man, it was on prime time broadcast television in the 90s. You'd get fucking scandalized by the Golden Girls.

"Canonically sleeps with her employers" = was fired by her boyfriend after getting dumped before the show started, literally married her next employer, a widower with kids, 5 seasons later

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Seriously, tell me you have seen a woman dressed like that in any normal daily setting.
I have. Repeatedly. Over the two and a half decades I lived in New Jersey, and still on occasion here in areas of New York.

You see, this is why I call you a clown. You ask for other peoples' experiences and then reject them outright because they don't precisely match your expectations. We must be making things up, because you yourself have never seen or known the things we're talking about, and of course you're the only one who matters.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Man, it was on prime time broadcast television in the 90s. You'd get fucking scandalized by the Golden Girls.
Neither The Nanny nor The Golden Girls is appropriate for pre-schoolers.

The premise of the show is that a floozy from Queens becomes an unlikely mother figure for high society children. She's "the lady in the red." It's in the theme song. It's not subtle. It's a very straightforward trope. While we're at it, Blanche is on that page, having worn a red wedding gown, as white is symbolic of purity, particularly sexual purity, and red symbolizes the opposite. These are the types of cultural symbols that drag shows act out. If you can't appreciate them, you're missing the whole point.
I have. Repeatedly. Over the two and a half decades I lived in New Jersey, and still on occasion here in areas of New York.
Fun fact: Agema doesn't live in New Jersey. Pay attention.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

The premise of the show is that a floozy from Queens becomes an unlikely mother figure for high society children. She's "the lady in the red." It's in the theme song. It's not subtle. It's a very straightforward trope. While we're at it, Blanche is on that page, having worn a red wedding gown, as white is symbolic of purity, particularly sexual purity, and red symbolizes the opposite. These are the types of cultural symbols that drag shows act out. If you can't appreciate them, you're missing the whole point.
Lmao, this just in: Red Dresses are inappropriate for children to see, especially if they're shiny. Flaunting a red dress on front of children is sexual assault and should carry the death penalty

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You refused to answer me, for some strange reason.
You've said nothing of consequence.
Lmao, this just in: Red Dresses are inappropriate for children to see, especially if they're shiny. Flaunting a red dress on front of children is sexual assault and should carry the death penalty
That is not the point. Drag queens, much like The Nanny, are drawing from accepted and identifiable cultural symbols for their performances. Someone above called it pageantry, and that is true, it is a performance art. Frequently a transgressive art form. The performers are not just going "bright colors and big hair are silly, yay", they are representing some aspect of the world, as that is what art does. And part of this genre is pulling specifically sexualized themes from popular culture into the performance.

Do you not understand any of this?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That is not the point. Drag queens, much like The Nanny, are drawing from accepted and identifiable cultural symbols for their performances. Someone above called it pageantry, and that is true, it is a performance art. Frequently a transgressive art form. The performers are not just going "bright colors and big hair are silly, yay", they are representing some aspect of the world, as that is what art does. And part of this genre is pulling specifically sexualized themes from popular culture into the performance.

Only if you also think clowns celebrate murder

Because a pre-schooler is going to see "bright colors and big hair are silly, yay!", they aren't going to see the inherent harlotry of Fran Fine or unacceptable pre-marriage sexuality of Blanche Devereaux, both Primetime network television.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Because they wouldn't understand its humor, or because how the women are dressed is too lewd for their fragile minds? Because if it's the latter... *snort* Really!?

the-nanny-1617293017.jpg

Oh no, hide your young children, their pre-pubescent brain won't understand what they're seeing!!!

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Fun fact: Agema doesn't live in New Jersey. Pay attention.
No, I live in a whole different country which you probably have even less awareness of than New Jersey, which makes your claims on what I've experienced even more ill-advised. Walk around a British town or city when the weather is warm (or any Friday / Saturday night) and you'll rapidly encounter women wearing kit that makes that drag queen I posted look modest.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
No, I live in a whole different country which you probably have even less awareness of than New Jersey, which makes your claims on what I've experienced even more ill-advised. Walk around a British town or city when the weather is warm (or any Friday / Saturday night) and you'll rapidly encounter women wearing kit that makes that drag queen I posted look modest.
A summer night in Queensland would probably make his monocle pop off in scandal.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You've said nothing of consequence.

How about... you just don't see it as sexual?

Like, if a woman at work wears clothes, it's on you not to make it sexualized. Not on them. Drag queens don't look sexy, they look ridiculous and campy. It's generally not a turn on

Lastly, IMO, thinking Fran Dresser has ever dressed up in a sexy manner is ridiculous. It's like thinking Mrs Doubtfire dressed up in a sexy manner. Then you gotta take into her voice which makes Mrs Doubtfire a clearly more sexy being

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Bah, you get people walking round with less in winter. Which is annoying when I'm rugged up and want to complain how cold it is and they aren't bothered at all.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Like, if a woman at work wears clothes, it's on you not to make it sexualized.
Often. But also, some women expose their hair on purpose, and they deserve a good stoning I tell you.