if it weren't illegal

Torkuda

Nov 7, 2013
Just a question, what might you do if there were laws and social structures to tell you not to. Now let's try not to be stupid and say "Murder" or "steal everything not nailed down". Just stuff you think should be legal that in your area is not.

Me?

Drive a four wheeler on the open road, way more fuel effeicient than most cars, plus they're less likely to kill someone if you have an accident.

Open a business where I sell things I make just because I want to. In other words, screw the freaking government, it's none of their business until I actually sell something bad.

This isn't intended to be a debate, but I can see how it might end up that way.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, provided that such an act, if it doesn't destroy society, might lead to a case where people are generally happy and free to express themselves in the manner of the Alan Moore anarchy, I would say whatever gives me pleasure and is suitable to my laziness. Like...I suppose pissing on a tree in broad daylight wouldn't be taboo. I still wouldn't wanna do anything like steal stuff or hurt anyone (that didn't deserve it), but some things that people shouldn't care TOO much about should be okay.

The idea is that, philosophically speaking, what we want to do is everything we've always loved to do that doesn't RUIN our lives. In short, we do not want to live in a Hobsian society, which is to take and do what you want and fuck the other guy unless he can actually stop you. That's the idiotic WRONG way to live, because everyone trying to be an island nation trying to keep people from their stuff with guns and ammo cannot work as a way of life. So, like Austin Powers said, we've just got freedom...with responsibility.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Um, this may seem sad to some of you, but I really cannot think of anything at the moment. Except for short lived dumb ideas that I wouldn't do anyways, the law has never prevented me from doing something I really wished to do. Of course, I tend to take the long view on most things.

Take taxes for instance, like many others, I wouldn't mind giving the IRS the middle finger, especially just after getting my first official paystub. But I value the services and stability it pays for a hell of a lot more than that cash.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I would...watch restricted movies in the cinema ㅇㅅㅇ. Yup, it's illegal in New Zealand. At least it's not illegal to purchase a ticket so I can still suppourt the film-makers lol.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I don't really find myself being restricted by laws. I feel I am a rational person, although lazy and hedonistic. If I feel the urge to smoke a joint, piss on a tree or tell someone off I will. I don't understand the motivation for vandalism and I'm not the type to go picking fights. Can't think of anything in particular I'm missing out on. I do wish they could legalize marijuana and a few other things but I don't see it happening anytime soon, doesn't mean its impossible to do.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Break into safety deposit boxes of people I hate and leave fresh fish in them.

That's what I'd do if such an act wasn't illegal. Hey, I'm not even stealing from them, I'm giving them stuff! They should approve of my generosity, even if it might smell a little funky after a while.

Ahem.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'd buy some of the guns I've had my eye on, but which aren't legal in California.

Also, I'd buy normal capacity magazines for my guns rather than the stupid 10 round capacity magazines that are legal.

Other than that, probably nothing. I'm quite happy following the law in the vast majority of situations.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Despite the possibility that this thread will become a moderation minefield:

Gee, I'd probably speed more while driving. Uuuuuuh. And I might drink in liquor ban zones. That's probably it, to be honest. Both of which are not all that healthy. But yeah. Our 100 km/h speed limit on motorways is a bit timid.

Edit:

DementedSheep said:
Is there a particular reason why that is illegal?
Capital controls, presumably:

http://go.bloomberg.com/market-now/2013/11/14/the-argentine-curse-strikes-again/

Currency protectionism, or an attempt to prevent capital flight, most likely.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
DementedSheep said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Buying dollars. No, really. It's illegal in Argentina. I wish it wasn't.
It's an inflation thing. The government is deeply corrupt and constantly lies in order to withhold the depreciation of the peso. To keep that lie up, they freeze currency rates at nearly 50% of the actual value, including the dollar - dollars being particularly aggravating because you need those for travel, real estate, international transactions, etc. This has resulted in the birth of a black market that operates with "blue dollars", code name for the proper dollar rate. Meanwhile the government has established a Big Bro style system wherein you can purchase dollars at half their value... by providing them your tax ID number and informing them how, when and why you'll spend your money.

On a side note, this affects importing. The country stops importing stuff because it's impossible to keep up with the numbers. Computers, Apple products, games, etc. just to name the ones that concern me. You're pretty much forced to smuggle stuff from neighboring countries. That's how I acquired my PS3, my iPod and my videocamera, for example.

So the options are to either legally purchase dollars at half their value (resulting in a huge loss) or illegally purchasing blue dollars. And I wish it weren't illegal.

Torkuda

Nov 7, 2013
Just to be cheeky, I would like to go to one of the states in the Union that banned the water level in a lake or river going beyond a certain point, and call the police when it does. I just want to know what they'll do about it. It's a law coppers, enforce it, good luck.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Just something this thread reminded me of.

--

Home owners associations: group of massive pricks telling you how your house should look like or they sue.

For example, my father wanted to build a practice golf range in his backyard. HOA bitched about it because they think they have the right to. I personally disagree with my father because I hate having a practice golf range taking up most of the backyard, but it should be between me and him. I don't want some stupid pricks thinking they have say in this.

I once had a conversation with one of them and gosh, I wish I had a free pass for murder.

So to summarize, having things in my backyard as long as people think its reasonable. (oh for goodness sake, this sounds ridiculous).

Torkuda

Nov 7, 2013
If I make a mistake, I pay for the damage (including having to go to jail or whatever) and move on. In other words, no pain and suffering crap. And before anyone asks, actually when I had an accident myself, I did try to take the high road an not ask for pain and suffering, but the lawyers said that probably wouldn't help as it would just panic the legal team on the other side about me coming back for it later. I just took the minimum pain and suffering and called it good. Thus no, this isn't something I would feel different about on the receiving end.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Well, let me see... I don't know... I'll just leave this conversation saying that were certain things legal across the board there would be a lot of happier less stressed out folk I know, and maybe less people addicted to opiate-derived painkillers. That I'd support.
Plus special brownies are nice every now and again and shouldn't feel wrong to consume.
Aaaand maybe gamble on a few high school sports games, just for fun. (weird how it can be "fun" to potentially lose money on something).
Oh and I'd like to be able to egg litigation lawyers any time I feel like it. Just because I feel they tie up the justice system with lawsuits.
i'd love to make a lot of things illegal too... like the IRS...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
DementedSheep said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Buying dollars. No, really. It's illegal in Argentina. I wish it wasn't.
It's an inflation thing. The government is deeply corrupt and constantly lies in order to withhold the depreciation of the peso. To keep that lie up, they freeze currency rates at nearly 50% of the actual value, including the dollar - dollars being particularly aggravating because you need those for travel, real estate, international transactions, etc. This has resulted in the birth of a black market that operates with "blue dollars", code name for the proper dollar rate. Meanwhile the government has established a Big Bro style system wherein you can purchase dollars at half their value... by providing them your tax ID number and informing them how, when and why you'll spend your money.

On a side note, this affects importing. The country stops importing stuff because it's impossible to keep up with the numbers. Computers, Apple products, games, etc. just to name the ones that concern me. You're pretty much forced to smuggle stuff from neighboring countries. That's how I acquired my PS3, my iPod and my videocamera, for example.

So the options are to either legally purchase dollars at half their value (resulting in a huge loss) or illegally purchasing blue dollars. And I wish it weren't illegal.
To quote Jim Jefferies: "That's fucken bullshit."

Ridiculous that a country essentially forces you to illegal means to enjoy the same luxuries as the rest of the world. Is there a reason they're so obsessed with keeping the Peso despite its fragility?

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I wouldn't mind being able to drink in public. I wouldn't go around drunk with a bottle of Jim Beam in hand mind you, but it would be nice to be able to have a beer on a park bench when I take my dogs for a run around.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Vagrancy. It'd be heaven to not have any police officers "moving you on" in the middle of the night when you're just trying to get some sleep in the park.