If Nintendo went under tomorrow, who should buy their assets?

Aug 17, 2009
Let's just say, hypothetically, Nintendo is another Enron (looks prosperous on the outside, really no has profits to speak of), and all of their copyrights went up for sale.

Which developer do you think would do well by Mario, Metroid, Zelda, or any of Nintendo's franchises?

I thought of this as I was imagining a Zelda game as done by Team ICO, so yeah, that's my big idea.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Whats so hypothetical about it? I'm almost certain they will go under a few months after the Wii U launch. It's not tomorrow, but it's soon :p

And I seriously don't know. I almost hope that nobody does, Nintendo games have just been milked so much. I want them to hurry up and die now. Mario, Zelda, Metroid- As great as they all were, they can't keep going on like this, it's killing the series'. Let them die gracefully.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
I'd like to see Mario done by Kojima, for the lols.
And Zelda by Infinity Ward ,for the lols as well.

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
They'll turn into sega, They'll stop making consoles and make them only for games. Or atleast thats what I think

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I don't see Nintendo dying anytime soon.
They've ruled the handheld market since the start and while the Wii was panned by some, it has still sold REALLY REALLY REALLY well.

Now, if by some magical powers that be, they pull a SEGA or an Enron...

I'd want a Japanese company to buy them up, or merge with them, keep that Eastern style.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
Activision.

They have the same basic business model, and the nintendo fanboys will be pumped for yearly updates of Zelda, Marios, etc.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I don't really see Nintendo dieing anytime soon. I may think that the Wii was a paperweight that I would never use, and the Wii U looks like a mistake, but the Wii was rather successful and the Wii U will probably be as well. However, if Nintendo was to go under, I'd think ArchAngelKira here has got it right.

ArchAngelKira said:
They'll turn into sega, They'll stop making consoles and make them only for games. Or atleast thats what I think
Yeah. This would be the future I would envision for Nintendo. And honestly, I'd like it if they did. Assuming the game quality remains the same, their games would be quite enjoyable on other consoles. Seriously, I'd enjoy Metroid on the 360 or Zelda on the PS3. Though, I won't hold my breath.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
Microsoft is trying to milk the young naive market with kinect so microsoft should get kirby and mario . metroid and zelda should go to a better studio.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Retro Studios.

Their work on the Metroid and Donkey Kong series shows that they respect Nintendo's IP, yet aren't afraid to take it in exciting new directions.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I wouldn't like to see anyone get any of them, the licenses aren't what make Nintendo games good, they are often good in spite of them.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
If Nintendo goes under, so does innovation. Gaming will stagnate, and die.

But if they did, Retro seems to be very good in handling a Nintendo property.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Disney would buy Mario, it's the only way they can keep Mickey Mouse relevant is to pair him with Mario since Disney doesn't seem too keen on allowing their characters on another Kingdom Hearts. I'm not eve sure if the last couple handheld games had Disney characters in them at all, not that I played them much...

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I would like to see microsoft buy them, so then we could get their games for xbox

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
lol at the comments saying the IP's should die. Because heaven forbid you eat a good meal and ever want to have that food again, amiright? Things should be enjoyed once and then erased from the world, because it's impossible to do it again. Yes, this is how the world works, that's why every Harry Potter movie bombed after the first one. It's a good thing they never tried to finish that story in theaters, otherwise I am sure J. K. Rowling would be bankrupt right about now.

But to answer the question:

Whoever Made Shadow Complex should make the next Metroid game.

Notch should make the next Zelda.

The Super Meat boy developer should make the next Mario.

All three should come out on XBL and PSN.

debossman21

Jun 7, 2011
Microsoft should by them. the controller for gamecube and xbox are pretty much the same. if not them, then the guys who made Bulletstorm