If The Escapist Taught You One Thing...

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Baneat said:
Noble Cookie said:
The Escapist taught me that everyone has an opinion, and they should all be respected whether you agree with them or not.

Seriously, I was an ignorant bastard before I came here. I was like 11 or 12 then but still. It's nice to not get annoyed when someone says something you disagree with ^_^
I came in with this, and left knowing that you don't have to respect opinions you disagree with.

Someone here told me that, if he was given the choice between murdering a homeless man for his sandwich or leaving him alone (The killer would not get caught, and is only peckish, not actually hungry) he would kill him. The user has since been banned though, but still.

He would do it because it benefits him since he now has a sandwich. I do not respect this opinion.
Well there are obviously exceptions.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
There are people smarter and cooler than you in the world.

Dr Snakeman said:
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go play my sophisticated RPGs on my PC while thinking about how great it is to be a tri-gendered asexual panromantic. It's a real shame how narrow-minded people who don't "get" me are, and how much better I am than them. All those girls who have "friend-zoned" me don't know what they're missing.

God, I'm so awesome.
Saved into my documents as "Greatestquoteever.txt"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That if you make a thread about "things you've learned", everyone will jump in and show how edgy and cynical they can be.

Ooh, edgy AND bandwagon at the same time! Haven't managed that before!

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
InterAirplay said:
Colour-Scientist said:
InterAirplay said:
The sheer volume of relationshp threads that pop up here is staggering and I'm amazed at the amount of good advice that people give, bu I'm also amazed how many people seem to be stuck in that 13 year-old phase where they glumly wonder where they can go to meet a girl who will do everything for them, and will attempt to justify themselves with "I have low self-confidence!" as if it's some kind of catch-all excuse for ineptness.

And yeah, one thing I learned here recently, and I may as well go for a negative since I already talk about loving this site enough, is that mysoginy is truly alive and well, even among some of the more "polite" discussion groups on the internet.

I've seen it all here, folks, and in just a few recent weeks! Here are examples!

1 "My girlfriend dumped me, therefore it's all her fault!"

2 "I had one bad experience in a relationship, so all women are therefore harpies!"

3 "She dumped me and then went out with another guy, therefore she's a slut who just wanted an excuse to get with him!"

4 "Women think I'm wierd and sef-centred! They must ALL be thick!"

5 "Women go for arrogant jerks over a guy like me? why, they must all be blind!"

6 "she's making choices I don't understand or approve of? well, I'll show her I respect her by judging her harshly for them!"

7 "Women can 'pick and choose' whoever they are attracted to, us men have it tough!"

8 "Some feminist groups have made silly statements/decisions, therefore feminism as a movement must be totally devoid of value!"

9 "She placed me in the friend zone! she must just be doing it because she's foolish, if I pose as her friend and gain a position of trust, only to try to manipulate her behind her back by doing nice things for her to an utterly spineless degree in the hopes it will inexplicably gain her affection so that I don't have to make a stand and rock the boat, I'll definetly prove what a great guy I am and how much I respect her!"

I think I may actually love you... does that make me a harpy?
Pftshaw, that's nothing. you should see this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.302697-Friends-Zone-AKA-why-arent-we-doing-this#12099840

This was what triggered my current crusade against this kind of mysoginistic idiocy. I never realised how bad it was until I suddenly found myself spewing forth a fucktonne of raw, untempered bile, and suddenly began to notice how much this kind of shit goes on IRL, never mind just the goddamn internet!

Graaar must try not to start again.
O_O

Holy god...

I clicked your link, and I can honestly say that that is the longest post I have ever seen on this site. I mean, for the love of god, that's, like, your internet dissertation. I'm kind of blown away that you had the attention span to rant like that. It's impressive.

But what's even more impressive is that I agree with it; usually, someone who invests this much effort into an internet rant is a crazy person who I don't care to listen to, but not in this case.

I kind of pity a few of the poor saps you quoted. I mean, I'm not all that good with the opposite sex, but at least I accept that it's my problem to work on, and that I can change it. But if, like them, you think that a problem is beyond your control, you'll never fix it.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Amphoteric said:
Johnny Impact said:
Amphoteric said:
I learnt that the moderation of the escapist is HORRIBLE.

I'm just saying that a lot of the time people get warnings for no good reason.
Correction: moderation of the Escapist is aggressive. Not even close to the same.

Here is the problem in a nutshell: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

If Internet people are not stomped firmly and regularly by the iron boot of the Mod Gods, if they are not constantly reminded that the Banhammer is not only present, but poised to smash their posts and/or membership at any time.....if this subtle air of paranoia is not maintained, people become worse than animals.

Moderation of the Escapist is done as the people running the site want it done. So you got warned. So you think it's unjustified. Suck it up. You aren't in charge here. Your bruised pride is of no consequence. If you don't like adhering to a code of conduct, follow my magic link to the land of brain bleach and naked, screaming barbarity: http://boards.4chan.org/b/
I've seen people who have been regular posters for 3 years given 2 week suspensions for a "low content" post while some guy with 5 posts makes an even lower content post and gets away with it.
I'm betting the mods here are all volunteers. I further bet that there aren't very many of them. Are you going to put up your own money so enough people can be hired to read every post on every thread?

People click Report, mods get their attention called. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't. At least part of the issue is whether people click Report or not in the first place, rather than what happens when people have already clicked. The cops never show if nobody calls.

Also, if the rules apply to anyone, they have to apply to everyone. Claiming that a 3 year veteran deserves privileged treatment is just foolish. Do you personally know this veteran? Did he tell you what his warning level was? If he had enough demerits accumulated, any infraction of the rules, no matter how tiny, would have resulted in an automatic suspension. If this was not his first suspension, the mods would have made it longer, because obviously the first one didn't leave enough impression on him.

Furthermore, the content of the post (low though it may have been) bears on the discussion. If he posted "STFU" and nothing else, that's worth a suspension right there, demerits or not.

Also what kind of bullshit attitude is "if you don't like it suck it up". Yeah because that really gets things to change.
I am fine with the way things are here. I have no interest in seeing the rules of this forum changed. But all right, let's play your game.

Since you have chosen:
a) to be a user on this forum, thereby agreeing to its rules whether you like them or not;
b) to remain on the forum despite being offended by its rules;
c) to overestimate the importance of your feelings in the scheme of things;
d) to whine here in a thread instead of sending a politely worded letter to the admins;

I now invite you for a second time to suck it up.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
That the nerdy people like us actually understand the world, better than the people who look down upon us.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
rokkolpo said:
There is A LOT more to gaming than I thought.

I considered myself Hardcore before I came here.
Now I don't even dare call myself Casual in comparison.
Well said, very well said! Occasionally I feel tempted to hang up a sign that says: "retired." I never will, but still comparatively it would be appropriate.

For me the most important thing (via Extra Credits) is that others are trying to find ways to get kids to be more excited about learning, even if the methods are non standard or even radical. That's a huge relief.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Internet forums don't have to be distasteful and stupid.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
that it's impossible to argue for a point that is not your own without being insulted on a personal level.

also there is a lot of content on the page that made me think about games differently.