If You Are Going to Hate on a Game Company, Do It For the Right Reasons

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
srpilha said:
KingsGambit said:
It [feminism] is a poisonous dogma that's irrelevant and outdated in modern society and today does nothing but harm. I'm glad to note that its fading slowly and losing popularity as more and more people are alienated by its nonsense completely at odds with real life.

I don't wish to enter a debate about it anyway. I don't care about it at all, I hate that it's encroaching into sites I used to enjoy visiting regularly and would be glad to see it gone so we can get back to the real issues of games sucking and why. (snip)
Let me guess, you're a white cis-gendered heterosexual man with some reasonable (or even very good) education and no glaring financial problems, right? This is not an accusation, mind you, just a description. You're certainly not entirely responsible for most it, so no blaming here.

But notice that you're doing quite exactly what U-238 was criticizing in games and in society at large: you're dismissing serious issues as not being the "real" problem, mainly because they don't affect you directly and you can't see any relation between them and other problems which are closer to you, and/or because those issues haven't become so violent and clear-cut as to warrant immediate condemnation from you.

(In other words, and as it was present in Yahtzee's text, you're position is equivalent to "homophobia/misogyny as active hatred is a real problem, but just not considering gay people/women as equals, "passively" as it were, is not". BTW, the latter is homophobia/misogyny too.)

I get it that you may not at all be touched by sexism against women in all of its forms. Lucky you. It's still a very real problem and yes, minimizing it DOES make it worse.

"Why do feminists often fight more for women's rights than men's rights if they're about equality, then?", you may ask. That's because men *already* have lots of rights and humongous amounts of privileges. Many, many of these privileges oppress women and make our society a worse place for them than for men. So yeah, balancing things out does mean cutting some of those privileges back a bit. Tough luck.

If activism is about equality, you could also ask why there isn't a "straight pride parade", for instance. Except there is. On every other street, every day of the year.

So yeah, let's check our privileges, hm?
Can we please not let this slip into another feminism rant?

Let's be real here: if people wanted equality, there is this movement and school of thought called equalitarianism. It's all about accepting that no form of segregation or bias is needed, as we are all fundamentaly humans and are all potentially capable of doing any job no matter our race, religion, sex or anything.

Feminism gets rejected by me simply because of it's name. The name itself does not make me think "group fighting for equal rights for women" but rather "group that wants women to be the rulling power". Basically replace one form of discrimintaion with another. Just read some of the jewels of today's feminists and you will see they have long since moved beyond equal rights into "men are all inferior pigs and women should rule the world". That is the majority voice of the movement now, and even the original starters of the feminist movement have called out this bullshit and have effectivly broken off from feminism. Because my dear missguided friend balancing things out never means to take away from some, but rather to give to all the same privileges and powers. Feminism today is no longer about that, it's about vengence on men because of past privileges by taking them away and giving them to women. Equality activsm itself is a retarded concept, since activism is inherently about imposing a particular set of views over another, while equality means acceptance of all points of view (so long as they conflict with common sense. No one will accept eating babies). Common sense tells us any form of activism about equality is a hypocritical concept due to the conflciting natures of activism (imposing a particular set of views/beliefs) and equality (accepting different sets of views/beliefs). And sooner or later that shows.

Also the "let's check our priviliges" line is the most retarded straw man and discrimintating argument one can make in a situation like this. So what, just because a particular category has not been the victim of some form of opresion they can;t voice their opinion? freedom of speech? Fact of the matter is most of today's movements for social equality are bullshit. They have been started by people with the best intentions, but now the mases have devolved them into "you had privileges and we were opressed, time to switch places and for us to opress you". And the whole politically correct game that has been going on hasn't helped at all ... today we are sitting on a powder keg of social conflict and everything that isn't as bland and unoffensive as posible imediatly sets off an explosion, when equality is about acceptance, not demanding everything conform to the same set of rules or morals.

And what is the most idiotic thing here is that the backlash against gay marriage/no female character wasn't even done by gay gamers/female gamers. It was done by the same heterosexual white male gamers. So it's not even a question of a group fighting for it's rights, it's an issue of overcompensation for past discrimintaion (like we are somehow handing gay's and women a gift saying "see, we are really really sorry for all that") which all of a sudden changes this from geniune desire for equality (aka a natural tendency to be more acceptive and inclusive) into a rather unplesant "see, now you can join the privileged club too". The truth of things is most gay people or well adjusted women won't react with this sort of bile and rage over these issues. They would resort to rational discourse, as would any actual firm supporter of equality. It's heterosexual white guys brainwashed by the political correctness machine AND/OR false equalitarians (the so called "radical feminists" are a good example) that react like that out of some retarded notion that if anything is left out it automatically means discrimination and should be purged.

Madmonk12345

Jun 14, 2012
Fireaxe said:
castlewise said:
And while one could certainly find individual cases of misogyny in action, I think the broader explanation is that less women are game designers for the same reason that less men are fashion editors: they are less likely to consider it an option because of societal gender roles. Which are ingrained into us from birth because of instincts we have retained from our evolutionary history that we may no longer require.
People say this about a lot of things, from math and engineering to housekeeping, to the finance market, to e-sports. I've never been comfortable with it as an argument. Sure societal pressures, and even evolutionary ones, exist. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be challenged or changed though. The way you change them is to correct individual instances and hope that eventually it builds up to a critical mass. There are times when "everyone does it" and "its always been this way" are valid excuses, but they don't always work.
Expectations and roles are not challenged by misdirected outrage that vanishes overnight and holier than thou moral parading such as we see in these discussions, they are changed by people disproving them; if women want more games made by women, aimed at women, and with female protagonists, then they could perhaps try their hand at making some and see if they sell -- if talented female game designers show up and make games that sell well then the industry will change, it will not be overnight, but it will change.
This keeps being said, and it keeps being nonsense for several reasons.

1. The number of women in technology has been steadily declining since the 1980s, where the number of women into tech industries and the number of women who graduated from such positions peaked at around 37%(see http://www.cra.org/uploads/documents/resources/taulbee/CS_Degree_and_Enrollment_Trends_2010-11.pdf , http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~women/resources/aroundTheWeb/hostedPapers/Syllabus-Camp.pdf ). This decline coincides with the personal computer and the simplification of programming. These numbers were higher back when things were much harder, much more complicated. If women were somehow on average inferior to men WRT computing or desire to be in the tech industry, why, when computer sciences was much more difficult to enter, when it was several orders of magnitude more cumbersome, would there be more women in the tech industry then than now?

2. As an extension, many of the defining people within computer science in the past were women. Grace Hopper invented the compiler, for example. This lines up with a long established way for women to earn respect, by entering a new field where there was no established gender role, where literally no man had gone before. However, these people's quiet accomplishments are easily removed from disappear from cultural memory when such fields become important enough to become men's work. I and my peers never learned of the name Grace Hopper in childhood, especially at a time when when that knowledge can influence one's perspectives. If even Grace Hopper can easily be wiped from cultural memory, what hope do the "holier than thou moral paraders" you say should go and quietly make their own games have at influencing public perception via making them, over the current loud opposition that they are currently making that the current culture struggles to forget?

3. It's well known that the video game industry is a toxic atmosphere for women, with an industry that internally and externally panders to frat boys as their target audience. Their games primarily target white middle aged men externally and the perspectives of women are often not taken into account internally in ways that make the work environment uncomfortable for women. (see http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/01/27/women-remain-outsiders-video-game-industry/275JKqy3rFylT7TxgPmO3K/story.html for an overview, though some advancements have been made since then) Why, when there is such toxicity, is the onus placed on women to penetrate an industry with a culture that clearly neither wants nor cares for them stumbles over dealing with basic issues for them, where they likely won't have much influence on the design decisions anyway unless the current designers change their perspectives in a way equally influenceable via that supposed "misdirected outrage that vanishes overnight" that you so malign, which has in fact worked in the past (see Mass Effect 3 fiasco)?

This issue needs to stop being portrayed as a consequence of some biological inferiority or preference. It needs to stop being portrayed as if it's just a problem of representation in the industry, when such representation is often just used as a wedge to split up people who care about these issues, with the accomplishments of the women who've already proven themselves capable of working in the tech industry perpetually ignored. It needs to stop being portrayed as if it's somehow primarily the fault of women that there are no women in a video game industry that neither wants nor cares for them stumbles over dealing with basic issues for them, that is too unwilling or too apathetic to provide an atmosphere where they feel comfortable. It's just not as simple as it's made out to be.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
ACman said:
Oh dear.... Carrying water for Ubisoft's inexplicable and discriminatory laziness are we?

To those claiming that "It would be too much wooooork. Wah wah!" (Yahtzee included) for Ubisoft to animate female models.... There are animated models.... In the competitive multiplayer.

http://youtu.be/Ht2klK2LWkc?t=1m47s

So unless they've ditched those assets and have not included new female competitive multiplayer models (which would be probably worse) - the excuse that it was too much work doen't really hold water.

If the excuse was "But we want to maintain the narrative perspective (of being the designated generic, white, mid 30s, male protagonist) - because....." I don't understand any reasoning after the "because". When my narrative from the perspective of my genergic white male protagonist is being invaded by my friend's mirror-image protagonist the idea of narrative cohesiveness has disintegrated.

Why not just let people select one of the multiplayer models - that I assume are avaliable for the other multiplayer modes - before invading another person's story experience?
There ain't no competitive multiplayer in ACU.
OT: I don't think the majority of criticism directed at Ubisoft and Nintendo was that they actively hated women or gay people in a deliberate manner (though I'm sure there were some people who actually did say that, because this is the internet, etc.) but rather that they seem unable to face any criticism with even a modicum of integrity, apologizing whenever the outrage gets too big but not actually changing their ways even a little bit.

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
XDSkyFreak said:
Can we please not let this slip into another feminism rant?
Sure, suit yourself. If all you wrote is your understanding of feminism, I'm *really* not about to have an argument with you. Especially not after this:

XDSkyFreak said:
Common sense tells us any form of activism about equality is a hypocritical concept due to the conflciting natures of activism (imposing a particular set of views/beliefs) and equality (accepting different sets of views/beliefs).
My whole point was that the currently dominant set of views/beliefs is oppressive to many. We often don't see it as such because we (white male cis hetero etc) are not the ones being oppressed. I'll keep believing it should be substituted for a better, more inclusive one. Common sense, really.

If you can, do look closer at feminism. It's not at all, in its vast majority, as you portray it. Unfortunately, I fear you won't, ever. Oh well.

EDITED TO ADD:
Actually, I really must add a couple of things aftre re-reading your post.

1. Balancing things out DOES require cutting down privileges as soon as those privileges are oppressive to others. It's that simple.
2. "Checking our privileges" is always important because having privileges mean we often simply don't see what's wrong with or around them, what they actually cause or reinforce. It's a call to look beyond only what affects us directly. Honestly, as a man this is a necessary DAILY exercise.
3. When did any of this become about vengeance? No one (sane) actually wants to implement the SCUM manifesto, you know. You're the one with the strawman argument on this one.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
blalien said:
Thanatos2k said:
What statement? This one?

http://operationrainfall.com/2014/05/07/nintendo-stance-same-sex-couples-tomodachi-life/

Nintendo never said anything about gay marriage not being fun or whimsical. If that's the conclusion you drew you need to re-read what they said a couple times.

Yes, their original statement was kind of lame and their excuse was flimsy, but people have misinterpreted it beyond belief, as you yourself have shown us.
You're really splitting hairs here. These are the exact words of their statement:

"We hope that all of our fans will see that Tomodachi Life was intended to be a whimsical and quirky game, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide social commentary.?

What are we supposed to take away from that? I'm glad they issued a better apology and promised to include gay marriage in the next game, but come on, are you seriously denying that that is pretty offensive?
You dropped the rest of the quote which gave valuable context to that statement. Why would you do that? Unless....

And make no mistake - there will not be a "next game." Nintendo will never release another Tomodachi Life game outside Japan again.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
ayvee said:
While Yahtzee is usually on point with these things, there is a lot of strawmanning going on in this article.

First of all, maybe he didn't write that tagline, but no one thinks that Tomodachi Life is about homophobia, or that AC: Unity is about misogyny. Furthermore, criticising a company for doing something stupid is not the same thing as hating that company, though I can see how it's easy to lose this distinction when you're up to your neck in critical tweets, articles, forum posts, and tumblr reblogs. And he doesn't even address the thing that really set people off in both cases, the way that each company responded to the initial concerns.
But that's exactly what everyone's been saying they're about, in the typical way slacktivists blow everything out of proportion just to be... shall I say it... misguided Social Justice Warriors? FLAME WAR GO!

When judging the issues people complain about, it makes no sense to ignore the issues they're complaining about. It's like how our grandparents think all we do is play with murder simulators or all the kids these days only listen to sex and drugs (but isn't that most modern music anyways? OH NO I'VE GOTTEN OLD!!!). To these people, that which they hate is the only subject that matters. My aunt yelled at me for going to Django Unchained because there's a scene where Django says he's looking forward to killing white people. Nevermind that the institution of slavery drove him there, she was angry that an admittedly liberal black actor spoke the line " Kill white folks and they pay you for it? What's not to like?" and joked off-camera about how great it was in an ironic sense. Even I'm guilty of it, in that in the game Dante's Inferno I'm convinced at times that it's entirely about Dante's girlfriend sleeping with the Devil to get back at him. It's obvious that the plot isn't nearly its biggest issue, but that's the first thing I latch on to.

The point I'm trying to make is that so many of us on the Escapist and in the media as a whole DO latch onto one thing and fight over it until the subject's dead. To them, Tomodachi Life IS about homophobia BECAUSE it excludes homosexuality, and ACU IS sexist because of something a PR guy said. And until this style of discourse dies, they are effectively right in any meaningful way. They have hijacked purpose itself. And it saddens me.

http://www.ebony.com/black-listed/entertainment-culture/jamie-foxx-defends-i-kill-all-the-white-people-joke-981#axzz36zjMi8M3

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Nieroshai said:
I'm not sure I understand your point. That it's okay to misrepresent the way that people are criticising two games because the issues that they're criticising have become such a point of focus? Regardless, I'm also not sure why you quoted me, because others have expressed the same sentiment in this thread and your response feels rather like you're talking past me rather than engaging with my concerns.

Also if what you mean by "but that's what everyone's being saying they're about" is that people have actively been saying that Tomodachi Life is a game about homophobia or that AC: Unity is a game about misogyny, then I entirely disagree, as evidenced by my original statement. Certainly there are other ways to interpret the tagline in the article (Yahtzee could be stating it to remind us that this is not what the games are about even in the midst of all of the controversy which...okay? Again that is literally not what anyone has been saying) and perhaps that wasn't the intention, but it struck me as the most direct one at the time and is merely one extremely semantic point in a list of more straightforward problems that I was addressing. Which are, broadly, that this article is confronting invented arguments rather than the actual ones and feels kind of dated and as if it was written by someone who doesn't have much perspective on the conversation that happened and just knows that there was some controversy over some games and some -isms were involved. It also feels very out of step with Yahtzee's maintained criticisms of the triple A industry and invokes some biologically dubious notions, but I digress.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I've been on the side saying Ubisoft is "doing a dumb". BUT, much like Nintendo's Tomodachi problems or ANY of Capcom's numerous accusations of racism across a couple titles, I've never assumed genuine hatred for these groups (women, gays, or Africans) because these are big titles with LOTS of hands on them in the development process and to assume a whole team is racist or sexist is silly. Believing them to be uncreative or not-observant to stupid ideas, yeah, that's more believable (that's how the name Xbox One got approved without anyone seeing the name XBone).

Now, the guys who made Call of Juarez: The Cartel... it's hard to see that and NOT believe that there are racist idiots on that team. That or the people who worked on it were so fucking oblivious to the blatant racist concepts thrown around that you'd mistake them for someone who just recently walked out of a botched-brain surgery.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So when I say this I get 12 messages in my inbox about how I'm an apologist bigot. When Yahtzee says it pretty much everyone agrees.

Sounds reasonable.

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
And now for the Extra punctuation drinking game, take a shot every time a commenter didn't read the article!

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I honestly didn't understand the complaints about Far Cry 4 at all. It reminds me of those complaints about that bit in Spec Ops: The Line where
you murder a whole bunch of civilians with white phosphorus, and part of the post-massacre scene involves a close up of a mother holding her child
, and a whole bunch of people complained about how it was disturbing and offensive. The developers basically had to come out and say "duh, that was the point." If you're depicting oppression, cultural misappropriation, and annihilation, it's going to be ugly.

More on topic, I agree with Yahtzee; if you want to tell a story with a certain protagonist, tell the story with that protagonist. Yeah, white males are drastically over represented as protagonists, but if a game wants to tell a story about a white male, it doesn't mean they hate women or minorities, it just means that that main character didn't fit in with the story they wanted to tell. It's a better indicator of the games industry as a whole, rather than an individual metric every game should have to pass.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
TheLastFeeder said:
And now for the Extra punctuation drinking game, take a shot every time a commenter didn't read the article!
Oh good God, man! That's been known to kill people!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Kenjitsuka said:
I think Ubisoft has a STORY POINT for Ass Creed.
Now I only played 1 and 2, but I seem to remember them saying that only the *men* in that one family line get passed the genetic memories. So... how can you then play as a woman? Maybe women helped out a lot, but the character you play would have been a guy. Cause the really dumb sci-fi nonsense said so. :)
I think it would be kinda of a cool twist that something in the machine went wrong and accidentally you can access the genetic memories from an ancestress. A lot of good sci-fi plots get more interesting when something that the blockhead scientists never thought was possible just happens.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
Weaver said:
So when I say this I get 12 messages in my inbox about how I'm an apologist bigot. When Yahtzee says it pretty much everyone agrees.

Sounds reasonable.
Yeah..And we seem to always be strangely ready to call ad hominem on other perspectives while literally embodying ad hominem in rejecting reasoned counter points or centrist views. I think folks forget, arguments and data stand on their merits, not on the perception of whos' giving them, or emotional resonance.

The day the sentence "Well you have to look at the issue holistically." becomes a connotation for 'Uppreshiun' or a trigger sentence on the internet....well....frankly...

I've no idea what'll I'll do exactly. It might've already happened. Oh well. Have a good one.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Jesus lol, this article made more sense to me then anything I've ever heard in my life. EVER.

But.... the comments are just.... Really??? People ruin everything >.<

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Madmonk12345 said:
This issue needs to stop being portrayed as a consequence of some biological inferiority. It needs to stop being portrayed as if it's just a problem of representation in the industry, when such representation is often just used as a wedge to split up people who care about these issues, with the accomplishments of the women who've already proven themselves capable of working in the tech industry perpetually ignored. It needs to stop being portrayed as if it's somehow primarily the fault of women that there are no women in a video game industry that neither wants nor cares for them, that is unwilling to provide an atmosphere where they feel comfortable. It's just not as simple as it's made out to be.
1. Nobody put it down to some kind of biological inferiority, that's something you've chosen to read into what is being said and then have a fit over, with the minor problem that it isn't there not dissuading you.

2. The industry isn't a single monolithic being that has set out to ignore women (and for the record, I work in information technology, though not in games) but if the number of women choosing to get into the industry is around 15% of the total then what are companies meant to do, not hire people who can do the work they want done in the name of keeping an even ratio?

3. Studies show the geek image of technology puts off women more than men, but (especially at entry level) it's geeky work and while not all in technology are geeks and nerds, the stereotype didn't come into existence because it's not partially true.

4. There's nothing in the industry capable of preventing women from making games of their own accord if they so desire (especially indie games) if they want to and it's not as though women are totally unrepresented in the industry as things are (the first 3 Uncharted games, for instance, were directed by a woman).

5. Maybe you need to stop looking at this as an exercise in casting blame, ultimately if women want women in the games industry its up to women to get into the games industry and support those who produce good products.