If you could erase the memory and start over with one game, what would it be?

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Basically, the title speaks for the thread. If you could have the memories of one game taken away, (removing all spoilers, and even trailers if you really want to) so you could play it again, and experience the highs, lows, shocks and funny moments from gaming's finest, which game would it be?

I'd really be stuck between Portal 2 and Silent Hill 2. Both 2's, huh? (Coincidence, or is there something about sequels?)

Portal 2 has really become an average game for me, because 5 playthroughs later, the dialogue isn't funny when you mouth it word for word, and know everything coming. I'd love to meet GLaDOS again, play the puzzles and work all of them out. Not to forget - the breathtaking ending. I'm not going to lie, (and I hope I'm not alone here) my jaw hit the floor when I shot that portal. Everything after that was simply my absolute favourite moments in gaming. Losing Wheatley, turrets singing, (along with the animal king) and ending with the companion cube. I was smiling so much my face hurt. (Literally, no hyperbole there!)

But then there's Silent Hill 2, much contrasting with Portal 2. I'd love the traverse across the dark streets, be terrified again, and witness the frankly epic revelation at the end. At that point, all of the game came together. All of the locations, characters and monsters had meaning - it was like being hit over the head with a truncheon of truth! I'd love to explore Silent Hill 2 with the intrigue I had that first time!

Well, that was a rant-and-a-half! Well, forum, your turn? What game would you choose?

(PS: The entire MGS series was almost here as well, but it's not really a single game, so I didn't include it!)

eimatshya

Nov 20, 2011
Honestly, most of my favorite games are ones that I enjoyed more with subsequent playthroughs, so starting from a blank slate might not maximize my enjoyment.

hmmm... Maybe Planescape: Torment? That's such a story driven game that it might be fun to play it again without knowing what's going to happen. Same with the The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

Oh, I've got one: Arcanum. I loved that game the first time through, but for some reason, I've never been able to get all the way through a second time. I always get bored a short way in and stop playing. So, I'd love to be able to play straight through like I did the first time.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Mass Effect without a doubt. Not because the two first games are the best games this generation but because Mass Effect 3's launch was pretty much a trainwreck, most notably the ending and the face-import bug.

Also, since I played Mass Effect 1 & 2 so close after each other they became pretty much one game instead of two. Mass Effect 3 suffered from this because it felt lifted of from the connected experience.

Lastly a game doesn't need two years of hype. That was one of the reasons Mass Effect knocked me so flat. I had no particular expectation on it and it became something I didn't know I had been looking for.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
WoW. Immersing myself in that game for the first time was an amazing experience. I loved messing around, exploring the world, PvPing and sneaking into enemy capitals. The year which I spent playing that game is one of the fondest gaming memories I have.

Still, I'm burned out and only a memory wipe could make play it once again.

Mr.Philip

Jul 26, 2012
Probably Ocarina of Time, I've played that game so much, it would cool to play it for the first time again. Same with Banjo-Kazooie and GTA SanAndreas.
Also Conker's Bad Fur Day, because I was stupid and used a walkthrough and that ruined the experience a little bit.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm thinking about doing this with Disgaea 2.

The main reason being is that this was my first Disgaea title, so many of the core fundamentals of the Disgaea series were left untouched until I discovered them when I bought more Disgaea titles (Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 3). Now I want to take full advantage of those mechanics so that I can not only have stronger units, but also allow me to explore other possibilities that I might have ignored or was unable to explore because of my lack of knowledge and experience.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
I'll throw in my vote to Fallout 3.
I would love to play this game again without knowing all the stuff I know about the story and such now because in my opinion that game is awesome and I like it alot, just that I've done several characters and all quests and found all locations, and now it just seems, well, the same.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Karoshi said:
WoW. Immersing myself in that game for the first time was an amazing experience. I loved messing around, exploring the world, PvPing and sneaking into enemy capitals. The year which I spent playing that game is one of the fondest gaming memories I have.

Still, I'm burned out and only a memory wipe could make play it once again.
You know, I might go for WoW too - if I can go back and play it in it's hay day, the Burning Crusade era.

I tried playing WoW a couple of times after WoTLK came out and while I enjoyed it for a few days every time, I couldn't shake the feeling I was playing a game that had seen it's best days and waved them goodbye. Pity really.
Now I would agree with you two but looking back at when I started playing it I was a bloody noob that didn't really know what was the right gear and such (I joined in mid-WotLK btw). Nah, I like my current state of WoW, raiding with friends.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I swear someone did this ages ago including having the memory wipe.

Anyway I would go with Xenoblade Chronicles so I can be awe struck again at how big that game is.

SanguineScale

Jun 8, 2011
I'm pretty much torn between the 2nd and 3rd Silent Hills. I love both of them to death, but replaying them isn't nearly as fun anymore. As an elementary school kid getting his first console, I thought a cool looking game like Silent Hill 3 would be right up my alley.... and then it fucked me up forever, in a great way :)

God, I miss those scares ;.;

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
WoW was much more fun to me before I got to the point where I needed to know about gear and bosses and what not. In fact, I quit every time when I got to that point. If I want a complex experience where you need to know a lot of stuff by heart and play your role perfectly I'll play a DOTA game or an RTS.
Myeah, I can see what you're getting at.
I however don't really like games until I'm good at them and know what kind of attacks I need to use and what gear I should need (well, in rpgs and such at least, FPS's are just "get gun and use gun" for me).

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Portal 2 definately.

Even though I got it the day it was released (My Brother won 2 copies with the pre-release potato farming thing and gave me one) the amount of hype surrounding it made it not quite live up to expectations (Not saying it was a bad game, on the contrary it was a great game)

I was one of the lucky ones, since I managed to play Portal 1 with no hype (I bought the Orange Box for TF2, and was told by my brother to play through Portal while I installed it since it was a short game, I hadn't a clue what it was at the time)

Mass Effect 2 aswell, I adore that game and would love to spend another 30+ runs through that game without the knowledge of every conversation and extensive knowledge of each class and such.

Uhh... That's all I can think of, most other games got better when I'd finished at least one run through.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Persona 4. Just because that game is freaking perfect... To be able to go through the mystery stuff again would be really fun.

Also the Ace Attorney games. To be honest all of the games I really like, actual nearly everything I really like involves some element of mystery. So experiencing the twists again would be nice for the anime i've watched as well.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Heavy Rain. The tension from the mystery made it immortal for me. Once the mystery is lost it becomes only a great game.

CAPTCHA: Butter side down
When did Captcha's start making Dr. Seuss references?!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
For things that are fresh in my memory, Skyward Sword.

But over everything I've played, I really don't know. Probably some N64 game like Banjo Kazooie or Paper Mario or OoT. If I can cheat and say both Banjo games then that would probably win.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Well, I'd probably pick portal 2, since the ending got spoiled for me by jerks on the internet.

If that hadn't have happened, I would probably pick Amnesia: The Dark Descent. That game was brilliant, but since it's quite scripted, it's not too scary on a second go. Even if playing again with the same amount of terror would not be good for my sanity.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Definitely Bioshock, not only because it's a great game but because of spoilers.