If you could experience one game for the first time again.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Dark Souls.

The hours and time and joy I got out of exploring, learning, and finding out new things on that game makes me tear up, it was amazing, even though I hated it for the first 3 months I played it. (Not entirely just some of the design before it clicked.)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Definitely the first BioShock.

I don't think a game ever wow'd me like that. It helped that I got it before I was really into the larger gaming culture, so I had only little knowledge about it before I got it. It was also right after I got my first HD experience. It was also right at the time I was getting into retro design.

So you can imagine my face when I heard the violins swell and saw Rapture rise up behind that underwater ridge for the first time. During the entire game it was something akin to this:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ghost Trick. That game is amazing and has such a good story.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Cowabungaa said:
Definitely the first BioShock.
Bioshock Infinite. The the roller coaster mechanic was a blast. The final part of the game was a hoot (multi-verse full of "stars").

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
Worgen said:
Ghost Trick. That game is amazing and has such a good story.
Great choice!

My game would probably be Deus Ex. Just for the discovery of the freedom in choice you have in it.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
A second vote for---
Chaos Isaac said:
Dark Souls.
Most games with stories would be nice to experience without knowing what's going to happen (KotOR, BioShock, The Walking Dead S1), but Dark Souls was a masterpiece work of art that got under your skin, that unfolded, that had to be explored and thought about and assimilated for weeks and months. Its lore, themes, and intangibly tangible atmosphere/'feel' made for something unique, experientially.

No game's ever felt as rewarding to get better at, and to become accustomed to its world, mechanics, and sense of place. It can absolutely be enjoyed again, but obviously never in the same way.

Then again it'd have been nice to play Spec Ops The Line completely unaware of a certain key moment. As it turned out, what many saw as the main spoiler/reveal wasn't by any means the biggest or most important, so the story and experience still utterly sideswiped me.

Red Dead Redemption would be nice to play anew; the best writing Rockstar ever put out, with a beautiful, intelligently nuanced story and a stunningly crafted world to explore. There was a beauty and pathos to that game that was startling on a first play; a simple song at a certain moment was completely unexpected, but seemed headily perfect.

Sep 9, 2007
The Longest Journey would be the game I'd love to experience for the first time again, but mostly because I found it such a slog to get through initially. TLJ was my first adventure game and some of the early puzzles left me stumped (duck puzzle I'm looking at you!) and eventually I dropped the game altogether in frustration. I've recently finished it, along with Dreamfall and the first three books of Dreamfall Chapters, but I'd love to be able to play TLJ as a fresh experience, but with more of a grounding in the moon logic that is adventure game puzzles.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Three years later and people still haven't moved on. The ending was fine. It wasn't god's gift to gaming, but it didn't give you cancer either. Isn't it about time to let go and find a new game to bear your ire? With all the utter crap that's come out since then, surely there must be a more recent game to burn in effigy? Look at it this way: you never have to play ME3 again if you don't want to...but you've still got untold amounts of disappointment to look forward to in the future. =D

OT: I'll go with Portal. Given that it's a puzzle game, there's really no point in playing it once you've already solved everything. So it'd be fun to get to play it again for the first time without knowing all the solutions.
Or, you know, we could remember the past to not make the same mistakes again? What's with gamers and wanting to jump from outrage to outrage as soon as possible? We should never move on from past mistakes. We should remember them and learn from them.

For me, I'd have to say world of warcraft. I've put so many years into that game, and had so much fun during that time. Imagine being able to experience it all again... Though I have to say, I would want the game to be reverted back to mists of pandaria. I hate the new talent system, and don't like what they're going to do with weapons either.

That won't happen of course, so...I'd have to say ARK: survival evolved probably. I have just over 600 hours in that game, but I've seen and done everything there is to do in it. Plus the first week was definitely the best. That first exploration, still being scared of the dark and weary of a lot of dino's and such.

PPB

May 25, 2009
I would probably go with World of Warcraft. There are many other favourites of mine that would be fun to play for the first time again, like the Baldur's Gate series and Morrowind, but I find that I can still enjoy these nowadays even after dozens of playthrough. Playing WoW for the first time however was probably a once in a lifetime thing for me as it was my first true MMO. Logging in and seeing the sheer size of the world with lots of other people walking in the cities and going on adventures was mind blowing for someone used to single-player RPGs. No other MMO ever gave me the same sense of wonder and I don't think I'll ever experience that again.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
sanquin said:
Or, you know, we could remember the past to not make the same mistakes again? What's with gamers and wanting to jump from outrage to outrage as soon as possible? We should never move on from past mistakes. We should remember them and learn from them.
"Jump from outrage to outrage as soon as possible"? I wouldn't call 3 years past as being "as soon as possible." And there were no "mistakes" in ME3's ending, it just wasn't the ending you (I'm assuming) and the others were wanting. As such: it was simply a game with a disappointing ending since that ending did not live up to our expectations. Nothing worth being "outraged" about in the first place. Disappointed: sure, but not outraged.

Since then we have seen multiple games released that are out-right broken to the point of being unplayable...THAT'S something worth being "outraged" over: spending $60 for a game and opening the box to find what is essentially a note saying "We'll fix it later." Aliens: Colonial Marines, Assassin's Creed: Unity, and Arkham Knight's PC release are "mistakes that should not be forgotten so they can be avoided in the future."

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
A 3rd vote for the original Bioshock for me. Just seeing the beautifully realized world of Rapture again for the first time, the awesome art-deco style, the interesting takes on Ayn Rand and Objectivism, not to mention the twist and just how purely fun the game was.

Planescape: Torment. I went into this game knowing nothing about Sigil or Planescape, and it's one of those games I'd love to play again knowing nothing about what I'm about to experience.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown. I never played the original X-Com (though I did play Apocalyse) and going into this game not knowing what tech you're going to unlock, where the game is going to take you, what plot twists are going to take place, what enemies you're going to encounter, etc. is just an amazing experience. The game does such a good job of making you never feel like you're really 'safe', that the moment you begin to feel comfortable and can handle any threat that comes your way, the game is going to throw something new at you. This was also the last game I can remember that I was just stupidly addicted to.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Katawa Shoujo. I want to feel that pain fresh and shocking the way it was the first time.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You might as well ask me what my favourite games are, because the answers would overlap perfectly.

Every game that has made a major possitive impact on me I would like to experience with fresh eyes again, whether it's Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Resident Evil 4, or The Last of Us.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Secret of Mana. Man that game was so damn fun and the musics ranged from awe-inspiring to kiddie fun-like to mind blowing. I still want a pair of rabite slippers. Think it would go great with my Kirby shirt and sleeping cap.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
World of warcraft, it would be weird to experience a game that has become second nature for the first time again.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Kingdom Hearts I think would be the best of the crop. The fact that the opening sequence still gives me chills for some reason, I love the game and to experience that first time joy again would be sweet.
Perhaps Link to the Past as well or Ocarina of Time as runners up.

d00mMarinEBG

Apr 28, 2015
Shin Megami Tensei- Nocturne finishing that game with the "true demon" ending was a truly cathartic experience.
Hotline Miami is a close second.