If you could experience one game for the first time again.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
My first thought: Master of Orion 3. Why? Because it set the gold standard for crappy sequels that went unequaled until the "release" of Sword of the Stars 2, and it would let me appreciate just how mild letdowns like Mass Effect 3 or Shadowman 2 were. Granted, I can go back and replay it now (not that I would; the DRM that fried one of my CD drives is never going on another machine of mine), but the sheer facial slap of just how awful it was wouldn't be the same; those scars are old. Then again, I have a niggling fear that my just typing that is going to cause some interdimensional time portal to open and a version of me to pop out and punch me in the face, so let's think some more...

System Shock 2. Simple enough to pick up without even reading the manual, deep enough to actually be worth playing, tough enough to be challenging, yet nigh impossible to screw up so completely the game becomes unwinnable, and atmospheric enough to be worth seeking out a way to play for the first time twice.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
A few that have already been mentioned. Either Morrowind so I can experience that sense of wonder that I've rarely experienced since. Or Danganronpa, because I loved them but I see little value in replaying a murder mystery story.

pookie101 said:
life is strange.. my favourite game of all time
That was the first one that sprang to mind for me. I played the entire thing a couple of weeks ago and loved it. But it did leave me an emotional wreck and I don't think I'd want to put myself through that again.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
OrijinalDreamin said:
The ending was far from fine, and one must understand, my enmity towards the franchise/company stems from how deeply invested I was in the series, and how betrayed I felt when it was revealed Bioware just couldn't live up to the colossal expectations they set for themselves, and us the fans.
Feel free to PM a reply about this, as I've posted my on-topic reply in this thread already (DS, Spec Ops The Line, Red Dead [Redemption], TWD S1), and don't want to yank it off into the muddy, well trodden ditches of whining/discussion about ME3's end.

I'll put this behind a clicky door so anyone who wants to ignore it can do.

But... isn't the 'betrayal' sentiment slightly--- well, pathetic and qaintly hyperbolic, even for teh internetz? How were you "betrayed", exactly? I'd argue most people's severely OTT/over-emotive reactions to that end were in fact nothing to do with BioWare, and almost everything to do with with self-projected hopes'n'dreams for some kind of perfect resolution where the game did nothing but obsessively pander to a given players every single tiny choice in the entire series...

While I have a litany of grievances about the ending, I'll summarize it with this: if you say your ending won't be a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure A,B,C type, and you say you're way too creative for that, and you constantly tell people the ending depends on your choices, and you reaffirm this statement, over, and over, and over for 5 long years (or 1568 days to be exact), but your ending is either Blue, Green, or Red, and your in-game decisions don't matter, well, thanks Casey Hudson, you were able to get more than $300 dollars out of me, but I'm fairly certain, you'll never get another damn penny from me.
Ah, so you were maybe naive and just believed in PR speak? Well that rather supports my above assertion.

But, beyond that; why were you so letdown with 3, in particular? What choices made in 1 really shaped 2? What choices made in 2 really shaped 3? What choices in the series really had meaningful consequence? Choice in games - especially A/RPG's with linear narratives - are typically an illusion, and that's understandable, given the potential complexities (and time/cost) of creating truly branching choices. I'd argue people obsessively letdown by 3's end maybe hadn't paid attention to just how little tracked in the series well before those last 15mins.

Oh, and I'm not suggesting ME3's end was great, btw. Whilst I actually enjoyed the original end (a series supposedly - spoiler: it kinda wasn't at all - about tough moral choices, it seemed perfectly fitting and right for 3 to end on such a decision. I also found the choices and ideas raised interesting existential/philosophical questions. very little in the series made me think, but 3's resolution threw up some interesting and unexpected concepts), it was still a poorly thought out mess, and BioWare's reaction to the [absurd] 'fan' reaction was very poor. To me, neither BioWare nor the 'fans' came out well from that whole debacle.

[edit]

And on a personal note re me'n'BioWare: for me, Dragon Age Inquisition's vapid SP MMO - by way of Ubisoft - design, pitifully puddle shallow combat, and lack of a real story are far more egregious strikes against their reputation. Failing to stick a trilogies 15minute landing pails into comparison with what DA:I represented. See also: letting last gen players buy DA:I, and blithely not inform them they'd eventually be abandoned with no DLC support or content patches beyond a certain point. I'd say that is more worthy of the 'betrayal' accusation.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
SmallHatLogan said:
A few that have already been mentioned. Either Morrowind so I can experience that sense of wonder that I've rarely experienced since. Or Danganronpa, because I loved them but I see little value in replaying a murder mystery story.

pookie101 said:
life is strange.. my favourite game of all time
That was the first one that sprang to mind for me. I played the entire thing a couple of weeks ago and loved it. But it did leave me an emotional wreck and I don't think I'd want to put myself through that again.
i know what you mean. it had some really strong gut punch moments but still its my choice :D

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
Mass Effect 1-3 which I even liked with the original ending, but even more with the DLC-ending ;)

Yeah, Secret of Mana, too.

sky pies

Oct 24, 2015
Vanilla WoW :'( though i'd like to unconsciously, intuitively know then what I know now about playing it.

Rubblemaker

Apr 29, 2014
Max Payne. Played it on launch day. I loved it so much the first time I played it that I finished it in one weekend, then immediately went back to the beginning and played it all the way through again. Ahhhh, the good old days of having no responsibilities *looks forlornly at wedding ring and pictures of toddler and gets teary eyed?...

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
ctSasquatch said:
I'd have to go with Telltale's The Walking Dead Season One.
I was going to say TWD S1 but then I realised the flaw. See if I forgot S1 I still couldn't replay it because my memories of S2 would still spoil too much of the important points. Similarly Portal 2 stops me replaying Portal again and getting the full effect.

I'm probably going to go with Brutal Legend. I loved that game, the story is a major part of it and there's nothing to spoil replaying it.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Another vote for Wind Waker. That game is goddamn magical. Majora's Mask makes a close second though. I love my Zelda games.