If you could have any non-combat superpower, which would it be?

sevreon

Jan 6, 2011
I would want to be able to turn myself into kinda like a ghost-like state, not sure if there's a proper word for it, incorporeal? Basically I would be able to phase through things and turn invisible.
I'd want that, because then I could do so much for free! Get into festivals for free, premiers, expensive clubs, and you could travel anywhere for free, it would save me so much money. And if I need money I could just turn invisible and put my hand through a shop window and steal something expensive(and don't get all high and mighty, if you could, you so would).
Also, think of the job prospects! Some employers would defiantly hire me if I could do that! I could be a photographer, or a P.I., a secret agent, pretty much a lot :D

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
teebeeohh said:
i would still go with telekinesis, the every-day applications are huge.
qftmt.

Even if it was banned from hurting people directly or indirectly or something weird, still telekinesis. So much potential with that ability it's unreal. So much could be accomplished.

Alternatively I'd go with something like super intellect or similar, the potential benefits of being super smart aren't hard to imagine and they extend far beyond personal benefit. I'm talking out of this world genius. Crack fusion, fix food problems, create the perfect plasma engine for space flight (being done right now, by the by, but still only in theory afaik) and so on. All the inventions a super genius could make which would benefit us, just overwhelming.

Hell, screw telekinesis, I want a brain that can work out how to make the perfect fusion reactor in a second.

sevreon

Jan 6, 2011
Navvan said:
MorsePacific said:
I honestly can't even think of a superpower that doesn't have use in combat.

I guess I'd go with, like, the ability to only teleport myself to the bathroom.
Even that has a use in combat. Ease of retreat would greatly reduce the risk of any hostile encounter if things get out of hand.

So yea, I can think of some sort of combat/assist/world domination for everything that comes to mind.

Shitting marshmellows? Package them for sale, make a profit use said profit for other objectives. Seriously even the most innocent of things can have some application in those categories.
I guarantee you that the market for marshmallows that have been shitted out of a person is far too small for there to be any profit involved.
:D

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
Apart from the obvious (Teleportation, Magnetism, Time travel, that kind of stuff) there is one I have been pondering as of late:

Infinite willpower. Slightly different than most. Basically, the ability to win any argument between you and your body. Quite easily weaponized, I guess. A guy who can overcome his body's limitations can punch shit really hard, for example. It's not for idiots, however. the limitations are there for a reason, so you'd be putting your health at risk, big time. Lazyness would be gone, though. Immune to addiction (not that I have that problem, but still). You could probably even kickstart your own heart, give yourself adrenaline and dopamine, maybe even control your own cell growth? This is taking the power to it's extreme, but the possibilities are there. You would need to understand all the feedback your body was giving you however, to make sure it is kept fed and such.

I agree with the sentiment that any superpower could be used for world domination.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'm going to have to go with instilling negative entropy. If you understand exactly how entropy works, you would understand exactly how amazing this ability would be.

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Does multiplying myself count as a non-combat superpower? Because if so, that.

I could send my clones off to work several jobs, while I sit on my ass at home and rake in the money, while playing Borderlands all day with 3 other me.

I would then send several dozen of myself all over the world, to learn every form of martial arts, criminology, and science. Then I would re-absorb them into myself.

Yes, I just turned myself into Batman.
They might turn against you, though. They would need a mind of their own to learn independently, and free thinking is a big part of most of those fields. If they were their own beings, they would at some point wonder why the fat idiot on the couch (you would get fat, if you aren't already) got to keep all the money and glory, when they were doing all the work.

And what if each of them got girlfriends? Once the time to merge with their master came, you would presumably keep all their emotions as well as their knowledge. You'd either have to deal with twenty broken hearts at the same time, or try to manage fifty seperate relationships (which I doubt is feasible)

I'd be scared shitless if I had that curs- I mean power.

tehlordofmyownworld

Jun 12, 2011
The power to turn anything into diamonds, or back.Would that not be very useful?
-and I can't turn animals or humans into diamond.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
MorsePacific said:
I honestly can't even think of a superpower that doesn't have use in combat.

I guess I'd go with, like, the ability to only teleport myself to the bathroom.
Never need nourishment of any sort (food, sleep, water, oxygen).

It's really not useful in combat unless someone is trying to choke you out. Although it does make you harder to kill.

I pick telepathy including suggestion and memory altering. :) I know I could use it to make people stop hitting me or what ever but most decent powers are in someway useful in combat/world domination. If you can't use it to in some way influence others or limit the influence others have over you, it's pretty shit.

Oisin XD said:
Apart from the obvious (Teleportation, Magnetism, Time travel, that kind of stuff) there is one I have been pondering as of late:

Infinite willpower. Slightly different than most. Basically, the ability to win any argument between you and your body. Quite easily weaponized, I guess. A guy who can overcome his body's limitations can punch shit really hard, for example. It's not for idiots, however. the limitations are there for a reason, so you'd be putting your health at risk, big time. Lazyness would be gone, though. Immune to addiction (not that I have that problem, but still). You could probably even kickstart your own heart, give yourself adrenaline and dopamine, maybe even control your own cell growth? This is taking the power to it's extreme, but the possibilities are there. You would need to understand all the feedback your body was giving you however, to make sure it is kept fed and such.

I agree with the sentiment that any superpower could be used for world domination.
Increase Human Growth Hormone, become super strong. Oh yeah.

That's a really good idea for a super power.

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
tehlordofmyownworld said:
The power to turn anything into diamonds, or back.Would that not be very useful?
-and I can't turn animals or humans into diamond.
Well, overuse would see the diamonds' value plummeting though market oversaturation, so the obvious way of making money out of it would disappear after a while. HOWEVER: Building buildings out of diamond? Hells yeah. You could charge exorbitant amounts for your services, as long as nothing better comes along. Actually, diamond might be bad for building, since it's not flexible, but whatever. Diamond mansion, go.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Bending Reality to my whim.

Although that essentially makes me a god, so I say it is a bit overpowered.

If not that, then shapeshifting. It can be used for combat, but it can be used for so much else.

I could be a bird.

ZeronicX

Apr 4, 2011
i would go with teleportation but then i remeber that scene from X-men:first class where that red guy grabs someone and teleports them into the sky and teleports away

so i guess clonning? it not really combat if your weak so i can skip school while still gaining knowlage win win :D

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
The ability to make people explode with my mind.
It's not combat if they can't fight back.

Or...as a single guy with far too much testosterone in his system I can think of a few unscrupulous ways of using telepathy and/or invisibilty.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Power over space and time.... What? I promise to only use it for selfish purposes, not for world conquering and combat.

Fishehh

May 2, 2009
Telekinesis, but to have it not be weaponized, it has to follow that rule from the law of robotics it cannot be used "to intentionally harm humans" Makes sense, I wanna be able to think and have my mind type for me, that'd be badass, type on someone's keyboard from across a park by looking in their window with binoculars

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
I'm going to have to go with instilling negative entropy. If you understand exactly how entropy works, you would understand exactly how amazing this ability would be.
I'm confused... does that break the Second Law of Thermodynamics, or are you talking about increasing an object's entropy?

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
StBishop said:
I pick telepathy including suggestion and memory altering. :) I know I could use it to make people stop hitting me or what ever but most decent powers are in someway useful in combat/world domination. If you can't use it to in some way influence others or limit the influence others have over you, it's pretty shit.
Powerful suggestion: Make people kill themselves. Totally overpowered. Any power, really. The world and it's society is only functional because none of us humans are particularly extraordinary. Anything too overpowered would tip the delicate balance, and totally change the world.

Still. You probably can't suggest suicide to everyone, so you'd get shot at some point, and the system would balance itself out again.

It's still a cool power, though :)

xXBanisherXx

Jul 5, 2009
All power of any form can be weaponized, just saying. That being said, I'd have the ability to create copies of myself.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Pandabearparade said:
A powerful, city-wide aura that heals anyone within it rapidly and stops the aging process.
What happens when you leave? Does everyone rapidly regress back to their sickly/old stature? I think the shock of that would kill most people.

franconbean said:
Teleportation. I'm a lazy bastard and, as with Telekenisis, the practical applications are legion.
Your applications are a large group of armed men?
Leole said:
To control Gravity. Meaning I can make an object weight nothing, make myself, or others, lighter than air, or stop anyone, anchored by his/her clothes. And technically speaking, it ain't combat.
This was my dream power whenever me and my friends imagined our own selves in an Xmen-like world. I would have had the name Singularity.