If you could make any NPC the protagonist of their own game, which?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,257
0
0
I'd like see a more fleshed out, focused story for Angela from "Silent Hill 2". Hell it could just be "Silent Hill 2", complete with the scenes with James, just we follow her instead when she's off doing her own business. See different locations, do different puzzles etc.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
erttheking said:
The merchant from Resident Evil 4. Forgot Leon. Let's have a game about the guy that beat Leon through every single dungeon and then decided to set up shop.
I second thos.

OT- Groose from LoZ: Skyward Sword.

I hate how that game is preclude to the whole franchise since it literally means there were no incarnation of Groose what so ever (I mean the Beedle from Wind Waker was in it for christ sake)! His theme and arrogant nature must lived on throughout the generation!
 

Rebel_Raven

New member
Jul 24, 2011
1,606
0
0
In honor of the new Read Dead game being announced, the woman from this mission.
<youtube=hLqFZ1_zh0c>

I still haven't forgiven R* for having absolutely squandered her in Red Dead Redemption. She has a unique look, an actual personality, a back story, a gun (A powerful early game one, too), I imagine the skills to use said gun for her to be alive with the world being the way it is, and for all of that, she appears in game for all of one mission, hangs around a few minutes more, and then vanishes forever.
No Multiplayer skin, no followup missions, no DLC side story, nothing!

I still have a bit of an ax to grind since Rockstar seems to be unable to make a female lead. Oni doesn't even count since they just were in charge of porting it, but that's another can of worms.
 

B-Cell_v1legacy

New member
Feb 9, 2016
2,102
0
0
Rebel_Raven said:
In honor of the new Read Dead game being announced, the woman from this mission.
<youtube=hLqFZ1_zh0c>

I still haven't forgiven R* for having absolutely squandered her in Red Dead Redemption. She has a unique look, an actual personality, a back story, a gun (A powerful early game one, too), I imagine the skills to use said gun for her to be alive with the world being the way it is, and for all of that, she appears in game for all of one mission, hangs around a few minutes more, and then vanishes forever.
No Multiplayer skin, no followup missions, no DLC side story, nothing!

I still have a bit of an ax to grind since Rockstar seems to be unable to make a female lead. Oni doesn't even count since they just were in charge of porting it, but that's another can of worms.

Come on cutie pie, Im no fan of rockstar games infact i hate them. RDR was ok game but female protagonist wont work in these type of games. neither in FPS. these games are male dominated games.

female protagonist works in JRPG, some platformers, some adventure games etc. but not in FPS or shooting games. I have been playing FPS since long time and only FPS with female character that is popular was NOLF.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,320
801
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
B-Cell said:
female protagonist works in JRPG, some platformers, some adventure games etc. but not in FPS or shooting games.
That's kind of spacious reasoning. There's really no reason why gender should affect the function of a game, at least in terms of gameplay. If we're talking about perception, maybe, but is that something that we should be fine with? It's arguably minor in the grand scheme of things, but unless you're striving for something like historical accuracy or real-world realism, there's nothing to suggest why a female wouldn't work as a protagonist.

So, when we see the lack of female protagonists in FPS games (not counting characters where gender can be chosen), is their lack down to:

a) FPS with female protagonists don't sell well, hence why there's so few?

b) Developers/publishers assume they won't sell well, hence why there's so few?

You might be able to bring in option c, that the majority of developers are male, so they're more inclined to create protagonists of their own gender, and that's a fair point. But confining this to options a or b, which seems more likely? Because I've never heard of someone giving genuine criticism to a game based on the protagonist's gender. Besides, female protagonists didn't stop series like Tomb Raider and Metroid being immensely successful, and there's plenty of other female protagonists out there, but the FPS genre is off limits?

I don't think it's that big an issue - gender balance will probably happen by its lonesome - but I can't think of any good reason why a female FPS protagonist couldn't work bar making assumptions about the target audience.

Edit: Oh, and if we're after successful FPS female protagonists, there's also Joanna Dark, and I guess I can give a shoutout to Manon from Medal of Honour, even if she could only be controlled in one game in the series. Arguably Samus per the Prime games, but I'm not sure if that counts as a) Samus was an established character before the games, and b) they're often classified as adventure games rather than FPS ones.
 

Lonely Riddler

New member
Oct 13, 2016
5
0
0
I wouldn't mind having a game about Garrus Vakarian's time as Archangel on Omega. I would love to see what his first few days there were like, how he slowly recruited people onto his team, and I want to see just what his team was like personality wise.

Really getting to explore Omega could be fun. They could really flesh the place out and let you see just how bad the place can be for the regular people who have to live there.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,953
1,021
118
Country
Argentina
B-Cell said:
Come on cutie pie, Im no fan of rockstar games infact i hate them. RDR was ok game but female protagonist wont work in these type of games. neither in FPS. these games are male dominated games.

female protagonist works in JRPG, some platformers, some adventure games etc. but not in FPS or shooting games. I have been playing FPS since long time and only FPS with female character that is popular was NOLF.
Samus from Metroid Prime, Joanna from Perfect Dark, Faith from Mirror's Edge... eh why do I bother, those examples don't count because you don't like them.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,320
801
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Johnny Novgorod said:
Samus from Metroid Prime, Joanna from Perfect Dark, Faith from Mirror's Edge... eh why do I bother, those examples don't count because you don't like them.
To be fair, I'm not sure if Samus or Faith count. Metroid Prime is an oddity in that it has FPS mechanics, but is more first-person exploration (FPE?)/metroidvania, not to mention that Samus was a pre-established character prior to Prime. Likewise, Mirror's Edge has FPS mechanics, but is more a first-person platformer. It might be nitpicking, but there is, in theory, a different 'core appeal' to those games compared to other FPS games.
 

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
5,147
0
0
Nice idea for a Thread OP.

Anyway....I have some suggestions:

- Angel Tyrael from Diablo. It is well known from the book Heaven and Hell fought for many years and each time the angels could kill the hellish brothers and their minions, but always came back to start over again. I don't mind a Hack & Slash with the Tyrael and his allies go in Hell killing the brothers. Also it make sense to have NG+ features. Of course Heroes of the Storm doesn't count.

- Johnny from Metal Gear. This guy is the purest form of Underdog becoming the MAN! He deserve his own game!!! Maybe a Action/Comedy game while he was with the Meryl and the others?

That all for now.
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,845
1
3
Country
United States
Hawki said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Samus from Metroid Prime, Joanna from Perfect Dark, Faith from Mirror's Edge... eh why do I bother, those examples don't count because you don't like them.
To be fair, I'm not sure if Samus or Faith count. Metroid Prime is an oddity in that it has FPS mechanics, but is more first-person exploration (FPE?)/metroidvania, not to mention that Samus was a pre-established character prior to Prime. Likewise, Mirror's Edge has FPS mechanics, but is more a first-person platformer. It might be nitpicking, but there is, in theory, a different 'core appeal' to those games compared to other FPS games.
Is it first person? Do you shoot? Then it's a first person shooter. It doesn't not count for arbitrary reasons. Yes it is a part of Metroid but before it came out, people were angry at the radical changes. They risked alienating fans with this new direction and it earned the fans it had because it was good.

Anyway the "didn't sell because female protagonist" is something that people never had solid facts to back up. It reminds me of the old "Horror is dying" myth. Publishers turn things into a self fulfilling prophecy.
 
Oct 22, 2011
1,223
0
0
The Girl from Thief. No, not what's-her-name from the reboot, the one seen in Deadly Shadows outro. We could have the natural continuation of the original trilogy where Garrett would be a mentor figure, or someone similar, but nope, reboots are all the rage nowadays, guys.

erttheking said:
Hawki said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Samus from Metroid Prime, Joanna from Perfect Dark, Faith from Mirror's Edge... eh why do I bother, those examples don't count because you don't like them.
To be fair, I'm not sure if Samus or Faith count. Metroid Prime is an oddity in that it has FPS mechanics, but is more first-person exploration (FPE?)/metroidvania, not to mention that Samus was a pre-established character prior to Prime. Likewise, Mirror's Edge has FPS mechanics, but is more a first-person platformer. It might be nitpicking, but there is, in theory, a different 'core appeal' to those games compared to other FPS games.
Is it first person? Do you shoot? Then it's a first person shooter. It doesn't not count for arbitrary reasons. Yes it is a part of Metroid but before it came out, people were angry at the radical changes. They risked alienating fans with this new direction and it earned the fans it had because it was good.
Can't say anything about Metroid, but Mirror's Edge actively discourages you from shooting, not to mention the reboot where devs decided to get entirely rid of that feature. That game may be considered many things, but i have a hard time thinking about it as a First Person Shooter.

But yeah, B-Cell, you should stick to making objectively bestest gaems threads, my friend.
 
Oct 22, 2011
1,223
0
0
Lonely Riddler said:
I wouldn't mind having a game about Garrus Vakarian's time as Archangel on Omega. I would love to see what his first few days there were like, how he slowly recruited people onto his team, and I want to see just what his team was like personality wise.

Really getting to explore Omega could be fun. They could really flesh the place out and let you see just how bad the place can be for the regular people who have to live there.
Or just Mass Effect where we can play as any of the alien races, instead being stuck with the boring humans.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,886
118
Jack from Mass Effect. I loved her so much, I wanted to play just her with all her biotic badassery, and lethal mother behavior in ME 3.

Zeke from the inFamous game series. First game, he's not so much more than comic relief. inFamous 2 though, he becomes the soul of the game, and you genuinely fall in love with him, no matter which path you choose for your hero.
 

sageoftruth

New member
Jan 29, 2010
3,417
0
0
This would undoubtedly get old fast, but how about a Metroid Other M spinoff where you play as Adam Malkovtich and help Samus get through obstacles by "Authorizing" her various powerups for different situations?

It could work as a mobile game I suppose. Of course it would only sell as a joke game, since no one likes Adam Malkovitch.
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
Okay, so back in the PS2 era, when Gundam was getting more popular, you had a game called Zeonic Front, which told the tale of a Zeon battle group with its handful of Mobile Suits engaging in a series of tactical missions against the Earth Federation.

It is in this spirit that I suggest...Fallout Tactics 2: Enclave Chapter.

Fallout has started us out from a number of angles in the various games. You've been a Vault Dweller, wastelander, and actually a part of the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout Tactics (though I believe it's considered non-canon). There should be a sequel to Tactics based around running the secret military organization behind everything, the enclave.

Although, in general, giving us the option to be a ghoul, super mutant, robot, or frigging Deathclaw would be nice too.
 

G00N3R7883

New member
Feb 16, 2011
281
0
0
I don't know if this really counts as a "minor" character, but she's the first character who immediately came to mind that I want to get her own game.

I would do almost anything for a Witcher 4, where Ciri is the player character. She was fantastic in TW3, and since I played the game, I've been reading the books, where it almost feels like she's the main character. There are long sections of the books where Geralt isn't really doing anything.

I guess the big point against it is that Ciri is so overpowered, but I think CD Projekt are talented writers, they could come up with a reason for her to lose her powers or create an enemy even more powerful than her. Geralt could be an NPC in the wise old mentor role that Vesemir had in Witcher 1/3. There are lots of places in that world that we haven't seen yet in game, Nilfgaard, Cintra, Kovir, Mahakam.