If You Could Make Your Own Game...

Masked Designer

Jan 26, 2008
I'd do an adventure/platformer myself, with a little boy who searches the world for his best friend with the help of a wooden pole. While he doesn't get many new items to aid in his travels, you would have a full arsenal of capabilities with your main item. You could use that pole to vault over walls, reach things that you can't walk up to, as leverage to move heavy objects, a beam to walk across gaps, and every once in a while it'd double as a handy weapon too.

Sort of like playing the Legend of Zelda, only instead of some magical green clothed mute saving a stock damsel in distress from the same villain over and over again in some gadget driven wasteland, It's a little kid looking for his best friend in a reasonably large environment that you're free to explore the vast majority of from the get-go. After all, no one likes having to run about looking for a mechanical garage door opener just to get into the Forest Temple.

Don Alejandro

Nov 15, 2007
A thieving/robbery simulator in modern day, with various areas where you can do special missions or jobs and 'sand box theft'.

Your character is customizable, as are your clothes and tools of the trade. In fact, buying different clothes, wigs, etc. can be essential. For example, wearing a disposable balaclava or ski-mask and tossing it is a situation where your character might want to wear a wig to ensure he doesn't leave evidence. But you don't start off with all this, you start off with different skills depending on what made you a thief in the first place. Could be a demented "hobby", could be being laid off, or whatnot. These will help determine your starting skills and base statistics. These are somewhat abstract representations of qualities like endurance, or jumping height, swinging power, manual dexterity, etc.

Sandbox thefts are basically robbing people's homes or pickpocketing them. If you're caught pickpocketing you might be able to play it off, attack them or run like hell. Robbery is a bit more complicated, and you use your surroundings to drive and park a getaway car. Stealing a car is an option, but is complicated. It is only good for maybe 10 or 20 game minutes before your license plate is given to every cop around, so find a paintshop fast, get fake plates, and eventually you might need forged proofs of ownerships. Police won't 'forget' you like in GTA, either, so hiding for a bit from a more serious crime could call down a manhunt.

Lockpicking is a minigame of sorts, there is a close up of the lock and you choose what tool to use. A probe, for example, can help find the tumblers and such to line up the picking. Carelessness means a jammed lock. What to do then? Find another entrance, hopefully. If you can't, you could try to bash the door open or open it by force with a crowbar. An attached lock could be destroyed. Houses are randomly generated once and some will be easier than others. A top story window open, for example.

Jobs are a bit trickier. They will be in more complex and well-guarded buildings. Often there'll be personal security, or security companies. Alarms will alert them, as well as police. The more alarms, the faster the police will arrive. Generally, though, you have around 15 minutes before the first cop car shows up. Your character can be a bruiser, but that won't help against a dedicated personal security squad. Avoiding guards, distracting them, or even knocking them unconscious or killing them. Beware, though. The more violence the more the police will want to find you. Criminal value can be determined by using a computer and looking for the price you've got on you. The cleaner, the better and you might even be able to keep some items you don't wish to sell. Items like a television set (If you're a bit stronger, of course. That's fairly heavy to carry around quickly.) are safe, but vases, or other things obviously stolen generate heat. Your character's sum of personability could help him if the police track him down, but if he looks like the picture and description they've got of him it won't matter. The first couple times, a bribe might help them look away if your heat is relatively low, but if you've got a treasure trove even an average policeman won't turn away. Competent Private Investigators and FBI agents are untouchable, though. You won't bribe them because of character, loyalty, cash promised, or a combination of these and other reasons.

As you travel from city to city and safehouse to safehouse, you might get different investigative agencies on you. INTERPOL, for example, if you've had a romp through Europe, which will follow you. The CIA could give chase if the FBI don't get you. Warnings given for major heists often give much much higher respect, but also difficulty and heat. Hitpoints are based on endurance, tolerance, and muscle mass. You can be a lean, dapper cat burglar, or a large brawler of a robber depending on your playstyle. This could also restrict what items you can realistically steal, large items cannot be pocketed or put in a sack or backpack. A TV, or something else large must be carried, and this will sap your strength and stamina which will regenerate by dropping it (If you run out without deciding to drop it, it'll fall with a crash. This could even break electronic items), a bar of sorts determined mostly by muscle. The brawler, though would have quite a bit more trouble squeezing into those hard to reach places and be more suspected. It is harder to hide a large physique than a smaller one, and being very strong and following people generates suspicion, obviously. Some clothes may not fit if your character is too muscular or too fat, and may need to be re-tailored. Colors affect visibility to a degree, a large man in a neon pink hoodie is a bit more visible than a leaner fellow in a black suit.

Controls will probably be reminiscent of Hitman:Blood Money, with a first person component similar to Thief. Just because it's first person, though, doesn't mean it's a shooter. Go in spraying and unless you're lucky and have an automatic weapon and they don't see it coming, you're probably dead. You have about as much health as they do, but people won't shoot you on sight unless the stakes are high, you've been tagged as a threat, the police are practically para-military or criminal themselves and you've been identified, or your wanted level is very high. (In Hitman, it seems, the price for a valet running down the corridors is death for baldness.)

What do you guys think?

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
The Negotiator said:
My videogame is gonna be an epic one, but you will half to wait 20 years lol.
What? half? w/e, I thought it was funny.
It's not really important, but it's supposed to be have. I dunno, just kinda OCD about things like that.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
Don Alejandro, sounds fun. Realistic lock picking, none of that Tom Clancy fakeness. that would be enjoyable, as long as you really learn about the mechanics of the locks and other devices you bypass/hack/destroy.

twilightCrossing

Nov 27, 2007
I'm not going to write a book about it, but I always imagened a game that you lived through the life of Eric Harris and see all the events that caused him to go on a killing rampage.
Call it sickening; I say it'd make an intresting game.

Kuneru

Jan 21, 2008
Ive always wanted a game that blended FPS, third person action and RTS into a competitive multiplayer game. It could be set as battles taking place for a variety of reasons, if it was a very open content game this could vary from fighting Zombies, to Humans versus Aliens and Allies versus Soviets, any cliche you can imagine and even ones you can't. The FPS could be played exactly like any FPS, the third person would be for those who want to take the fight up close with melee and who want to traverse landscapes like a ninja, the RTS would be top down over the battlefield and would be the one hiring the other two types to fight for him and dropping AI platoons and vehicles, as well as vehicles and supplies for his forces.

I don't know if RPG elements should be in there because every game and his dog that covers multiple genres seems to include RPG elements, although leaving them out because its overused might be a bit stupid if they work well. If they were included there would be a very low level cap and it would focus on the customization of your character, I'd prefer alot of gear across each level than every player wearing the same clothes according to level.

The biggest problem with this would be balancing issues, it'd take alot of testing for each game type to be equally useful I think and until that'd been done the game would be pretty much unplayable.

With the variety this kind of game would offer and the huge potential audience, if pulled off it could be as big as The Sims, or the up and coming Spore... or at least thats what I believe :), what do you guys think?

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Alright, I have two ideas, but since I'm a lazy bastard I'll just put down one.
It would take place in a stylized medieval-era place, where all the major civs of the time would be close together. There wouldn't be magic or any sort of fantasy.
This would be sword-oriented, but with a twist (I got the idea from some cruddy free online game with a cool concept): instead of just clicking to attack, your mouse movements control the sword directly. Moving it to the side or up-and-down would cause the sword to react accordingly, making realistic sword battles. Holding the right mouse key would make it defensive, meaning you have to move it to intercept attacks (with a shield if you have one), while holding the left key would be attacks. It would also have realistic dismemberment with attacks. This is a feature that would be necessary for something cool I have planned: Unscripted rivals. Say you fight a guy and take out his eye, but don't finish the job. He might come looking for you later with an eyepatch. Same with removed limbs and the like. Different weapons would be available. The one-on-one fights (featuring full sword control)would be in first-person, while multi-enemy conflicts would be third-person with altered controls (cllick on which part of the enemy you want to attack, hold the mouse for different periods of time for different power), since it would be all but impossible to work the direct control with multiple enemies. The camera is locked on your opponent in the one-on-ones, making sure that you remain facing him while freeing up the mouse for attacks. There would be full multiplayer sword battles. I'd try to make it open-ended and give real moral choices. I'd call it...Song of Steel.

Don Alejandro

Nov 15, 2007
Kuneru said:
The FPS could be played exactly like any FPS, the third person would be for those who want to take the fight up close with melee and who want to traverse landscapes like a ninja, the RTS would be top down over the battlefield and would be the one hiring the other two types to fight for him and dropping AI platoons and vehicles, as well as vehicles and supplies for his forces...
Sounds cool. Reminds me of a HL mod, Natural Selection and there was another game that's freeware right now. It has an RTS mode for the 'controller', and FPS for everyone else. You could be a human or a monster, two opposing sides who fight with different weapons/armor/powers combinations.

Gauwin

Jan 24, 2008
Jagged Alliance 2 Co-OP / Online mode.

Making this game with Fully functional Multiplayer mode, would mean Orgasmic like 2V2 /3V3 Fights. Strategy, at its best.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
sapient, I like the initial idea of being able to infuse weapons with elemental powers, but I'm not sure if a sandbox is the best place for it (the idea, that is). You need to work on your writing too. Instead of making some lame Heroes storyline (not that Heroes isn't lame enough as it is. Ugh...) I'd aim for an even darker and more tragic atmosphere, where you're hated by all and have nowhere to run, really. That'd be an interesting point to start writing from, don't you think? Perhaps the main character turns into a bad guy after a while, deciding to rather take power by force than try to get accepted into society : )
EDIT: Uh, it seems Dark Sector is more or less the game you described, so it seems your wish will come true to some extent ^^

Don Alejandro, I'd buy that game. We seem to think relatively alike when it comes to attention to detail in design. ^^ I'm not sure I think it should be first person though. It's usually easier to judge distances, look around corners etc in third person, something I think would be a fair advantage considering how hard the game already is. Perhaps some unreal gadgets could be added (unreal for a grey thief that is), like heat cameras, sleep gas, smoke bombs etc. And as little weaponry as possible : )

Kuneru, I'm not 100% sure I understand your concept. So the rts-player would hire extra units while the "hero units" would be players? That could work I guess... I just figured it could be interesting with something like a god simulator for something like this. The players make out the soldiers, while the rts players can do things to help allies and hurt enemies, like level terrain, lift them to platues, throw rocks and hint to enemy positions. The fps-players would be able to write to the god, but not the other way around. The fps players would be able to either build or capture points that spread the fps-players influence. Basically it would be gg if the enemy gods influence spread into your base : )

The Sorrow, as with the thieving game I think it would be better in third person because it's easier to judge depth (which would be veeery important in a precise sword-fighting game). Have you played Die by the Sword? If not I think you would really like that game. You control the swords movement by moving the mouse, and holding down the mouse button makes the guy turn the sword around to make parrying easier. Attack damage is based on momentum, so if you are already moving very fast and swing in the same direction you do more damage. it's really dangerous when the enemy does some kind of spinning attack, because sometimes it can kill you in one hit if it takes you in the head (for example). There's dismemberment in the game. Once I lost a leg half-way through ^^ (interestingly it doesn't really make you slower, but if you lose both legs you die). Perhaps medival France or Japan would be best (seeing as how they loved their duelin'). Maybe you could even have a travelling duelist, using katana, epee etc ^^

Heh, we all rock ^^ Great ideas everyone!

TheThree

Jan 25, 2008
I'd make a 'sequel' to a game that doesn't even exist.

I'd just make a JRPG type game where you don't play the cliche spikey haired big-ass sword wielding main character, but you play as just some nameless henchmen guy going after the 'main character'. Pretty much the person you play as is those blue suited Shrina guards from FF7. You get other random henchmen too in your entourage (I says entourage cause it sounds so much cooler than a party.). And the whole game is just you and your entourage of three going around trying to find and take out the main character. For the record, this game isn't supposed to be serious at all.. I mean that by it would be more of a parody of FF type games.

Pretty much every town you go to where you hear the 'main character' (Screw it, I'm calling 'em Ralph.) is you just miss em, but you gotta clean up all the crap that they left behind. Sure, yhey may have killed the seemingly cruel ruler of said town but now that he's dead it's total anarchy in the place.

And at the end you finally meet Ralph and his clearly much less cool party and get into an epic battle with them. And, for lack of better words, you get owned horribly.

Don Alejandro

Nov 15, 2007
Dectilon said:
Don Alejandro, I'd buy that game. We seem to think relatively alike when it comes to attention to detail in design. ^^ I'm not sure I think it should be first person though. It's usually easier to judge distances, look around corners etc in third person, something I think would be a fair advantage considering how hard the game already is. Perhaps some unreal gadgets could be added (unreal for a grey thief that is), like heat cameras, sleep gas, smoke bombs etc. And as little weaponry as possible : )
Ah, Third Person and First Person would be adjustable options. Probably didn't make that clear enough. Gadgetry would be fun, but I'd probably like to limit it to safecrackers, smoke bombs, and things like that. Sleep gas seems a bit too James Bond-ish, but it would be a fun idea.

Weaponry, I think it should be as available as the player wants to or is able to buy. But for example, if you were to begin in Britain it would be extremely difficult to find which would impact your playing style. If you could bring a weapon in from elsewhere, it would give you a noted advantage but also make it easier to track you down. A fellow toting around FN-FAL in Britain would probably be immediately on the run as soon as he comes into contact with anyone, and in the States in some areas people do have guns in their homes and a wrong move could mean a ventilated criminal, so weaponry is a handicap and an advantage at the same time. It comes down to the style of the player, and in the long run using a gun is a disadvantage. The most you could do to cover your tracks is to pick up the casing, try to remove the bullet, and see if you can dispose of the body. A handicap indeed, and one that should make it especially hard to 'run and gun' as killing 6 people in one place would merit a huge manhunt, the more people, the worse it turns out.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
sapient said:
I have a feeling there's a lurking EA employee here for game ideas they can steal (cmon, FIFA Soccer 2142 isn't going to come out anytime soon..)
More so, I'm surprised people are willing to write elaborate and detailed texts about every aspect of their concept. Unless they're writing it in hope of some company actually seeing it and using the idea (like myself), they are just risking themselves to get screwed in the future when someone else copies the idea and gets rich for it.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"Ah, Third Person and First Person would be adjustable options. Probably didn't make that clear enough. Gadgetry would be fun, but I'd probably like to limit it to safecrackers, smoke bombs, and things like that. Sleep gas seems a bit too James Bond-ish, but it would be a fun idea."

Yeah, "sleep gas" is James Bond-ish, but ether or chloroform should be as avaliable as guns, and less likely to get you hunted down and killed : )

Dubiousduke

Jan 27, 2008
I had this awesome dream a few nights ago involving Me and my friends running into the wilds from zombies. Indeed, I'd like a game in a Zombified dystopian future where you have to run from the threat more than fight it. Besides, who'd want to risk zombification?

I think any game that involves picking your battles carefully (ex: manhunt)would be a nice change, only with less gore and horror elements. Think 'Red Dawn' but replace the invaders with zombies and replace Patrick Swayze with a pansy.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
I believe Vampire Rain tried something like that. Except that it sucked a big, fat cocksickle.

For my game, I think first-person would add immersion and skill: being able to judge depth could be something experienced duelists could learn. Especially with different weapons of different lengths (maybe even weapons you can forge yourself, controlling type, length, and weight.

lulzawmbee

Jan 28, 2008
It would be like JFK Reloaded in terms of advanced ballistics and physics, but a lot longer and following a story that has the least amount possible to do with the following:
Mysterious Pasts
Amnesia
Newfound Powers
Black Headcrabs
Gigantic Swords
Indestructible Environments
Dialog- If you can't do it well, get rid of it
The phrases "Killing Spree!", "Open World Gaming", "Respawn", "Camp", and "Next-Gen Graphics"
Multiplayer- If I want to be teabagged by a 12-year old, I'll go back to middle school.
Magic

In short, I'd try to make it as real as possible so that there really were infinite possiblities, instead of the "good choice/bad choice" kind of openness. That way you could keep playing it over and over and enjoying the gameplay instead of BAWWWing over graphics and level design. It would take place in a middlesized town, approx. 80,000 people, and play similar to Grand Theft Auto. You do what you want, and you get consequences. Example:
-Shoot someone in the head
-Blood splatters on a passerby's neck
-Passerby goes home, his/her significant other (if they have one) sees the splatter, thinks that the passerby was cheating on them, and kills them.
-The significant other is convicted of murder and sentenced to death
-A group of people protest the penalty, and a mass of protestors gathers outside the place where the execution is to happen
-A riot is started
-Police fire bean bags into the crowd to dissipate the riot
-You get hit in the head with a bag, knocked out, and trampled to death

tl;dr- Consequences will always occur, but will not always be apparent instantly.
Graphics would be on par with Call of Duty 4 and BioShock

lulzawmbee

Jan 28, 2008
TheThree said:
I'd make a 'sequel' to a game that doesn't even exist.

I'd just make a JRPG type game where you don't play the cliche spikey haired big-ass sword wielding main character, but you play as just some nameless henchmen guy going after the 'main character'. Pretty much the person you play as is those blue suited Shrina guards from FF7. You get other random henchmen too in your entourage (I says entourage cause it sounds so much cooler than a party.). And the whole game is just you and your entourage of three going around trying to find and take out the main character. For the record, this game isn't supposed to be serious at all.. I mean that by it would be more of a parody of FF type games.

Pretty much every town you go to where you hear the 'main character' (Screw it, I'm calling 'em Ralph.) is you just miss em, but you gotta clean up all the crap that they left behind. Sure, yhey may have killed the seemingly cruel ruler of said town but now that he's dead it's total anarchy in the place.

And at the end you finally meet Ralph and his clearly much less cool party and get into an epic battle with them. And, for lack of better words, you get owned horribly.
The "main character" has to have a really cliche name too, so that you REALLY get the feeling of wanting to kill him.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
A Fight Club game. I know one's been made, but it's a fighting game that lacks any variety and missed the point of the book completely. My idea is a sandbox game. You play a character you made at the customization screen who has started going to fight club. As he gets better, he works his way up to Project Mayhem, starting in the Misinformation commitee and eventually ending up in the Arson commitee.

By now, some choice has appeared. The character might start to doubt Tyler Durden, and start helping a CIA team trying to end the destruction. The climactic battle would either be fighting off the agents who are trying to defuse the bomb you've attached to the building's supports, or fighting the space monkeys and rogue cops while you nurby durby dur. There would be two different endings.

The gameplay would consist of fighting game style encounters and freeroaming, GTA-style missions. The fighting game sections would come in during fight club scuffles, while the sandbox part would come in when moving around the city and doing missions for Project Mayhem. Several locations in America should be involved, with the ability to fly between them as needed.