If you could smell like anything in the world, what would it be?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Doesn't outer space smell like burning metal and popcorn?
That's supposedly what astronauts smell in the airlock and on their stuff after a spacewalk, yes. But you could argue that's not smelling actual space, but stuff that's been in space. Not space enough in my book. Now maybe that's all too vague, but I don't mind. Only all of space all at once is enough.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Doesn't outer space smell like burning metal and popcorn?
I heard it smelled of burnt steak. If I were up there, I'd just open the window, take a deep whiff, and get a definitive answer. Of course, that'd result in a violent expulsion effectively turning me inside out, but it'd be worth knowing what space smells like for a second before shedding this mortal coil forever. #LifeGoals

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I heard it smelled of burnt steak. If I were up there, I'd just open the window, take a deep whiff, and get a definitive answer. Of course, that'd result in a violent expulsion effectively turning me inside out, but it'd be worth knowing what space smells like for a second before shedding this mortal coil forever. #LifeGoals
If you're going to go out, might as well let the perfume industry know was space smells like. There's an entire untapped market for that.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If you're going to go out, might as well let the perfume industry know was space smells like. There's an entire untapped market for that.
I'll try, but my transmission back to earth might be cut short for certain, lethal reasons. That said, I'll confidently assume space does not smell like frozen human remains despite the results of my "research."

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I'll try, but my transmission back to earth might be cut short for certain, lethal reasons. That said, I'll confidently assume space does not smell like frozen human remains despite the results of my "research."
Oh just bring a few others with you and have them in space suits, with radios, so in your last agonizing moments before you kinda implode in a cloud of blood crystals and flash frozen organs, you can comment on what type of burning metal and how much butter on the popcorn space smells like.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Of course, that'd result in a violent expulsion effectively turning me inside out, but it'd be worth knowing what space smells like for a second before shedding this mortal coil forever. #LifeGoals
Unlikely, you'd be going from 1 atmosphere to zero, not much of a pressure difference. You could probably do it very quickly and live to tell the tale.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh just bring a few others with you and have them in space suits, with radios, so in your last agonizing moments before you kinda implode in a cloud of blood crystals and flash frozen organs, you can comment on what type of burning metal and how much butter on the popcorn space smells like.
Unlikely, you'd be going from 1 atmosphere to zero, not much of a pressure difference. You could probably do it very quickly and live to tell the tale.
I like how neither of you are worried about my lack of good judgement or my personal well-being. This was a cry for help, people; my blood is on YOUR hands. Goodbye, cruel world!
But who am I kidding? As a coward to my core when it comes to the unknown, if you ever see me in space, I've been kidnapped.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I like how neither of you are worried about my lack of good judgement or my personal well-being. This was a cry for help, people; my blood is on YOUR hands. Goodbye, cruel world!
But who am I kidding? As a coward to my core when it comes to the unknown, if you ever see me in space, I've been kidnapped.
You sure? Cuz for about 10-15 seconds you'd also get to experience the sensation of the saliva on your tongue boiling.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You sure? Cuz for about 10-15 seconds you'd also get to experience the sensation of the saliva on your tongue boiling.
My imminent death isn't meant be a learning experience, y'know, given the imminent death n'all. 15 seconds of knowing something at the end isn't worth the 42 years that have brought me here even IF there's an afterlife during which I can appreciate the learnings.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My imminent death isn't meant be a learning experience, y'know, given the imminent death n'all. 15 seconds of knowing something at the end isn't worth the 42 years that have brought me here even IF there's an afterlife during which I can appreciate the learnings.
Oh no, it's 10-15 seconds of vacuum exposure before you pass out. The imminent death part only comes about a minute after.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh no, it's 10-15 seconds of vacuum exposure before you pass out. The imminent death part only comes about a minute after.
I'll just stay alive then; you all are [ironically] killing my suicide-by-exposure-to-the-vacuum-of-space vibes with facts and reason. You'll have to endure my posts a while longer. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some shit to fling in Current Events...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You could always do a chemical analysis of areas of space with something other than your nose. People have been doing that for years.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Nothing. No matter what I have eaten, drunk, stepped in, fallen in or to what level I have exerted myself, I wish to have no scent whatsoever.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A temporal rainforest after a good rain. If we’re going the food route, probably freshly baked cinnamon rolls.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
So many good answers already... including those that I was considering, before reading the replies.

My choices are:
Vanilla
Chocolate
Asphalt after rain