If You Don't Believe in Evolution, Why?

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
PhiMed said:
Actually, that's the definition of an atheist. If you believe that there is a possibility that there may be a God, then you are an agnostic.
No. Atheism doesn't require any "belief" at all, only a strong atheist would say "I believe there is no god", as I've already told you. The average, run of the mill atheist would likely say something along the lines of "there's probably no god."

Kurokami said:
Cakes said:
sneakypenguin said:
I personally think my faith(christianity) and science intersect pretty well
Agreed. Why there is a conflict is beyond me.
Because you two seem to be pretty happy keeping that information to yourselves.
How selfish of us, since we're obviously the only two people in the world who think science and religion can mesh.

Snack Cake said:
so I guess it would be nice to see how you figure science and Christianity go hand in hand without changing what it was.
How the holy fuck do you even measure "six days" before the sun and earth were created? Most just figure evolution goes in depth as to how, exactly, their deity formed life.

Nunatak

Oct 22, 2009
Forgive me if someone else said this before.

But, -seriously.

"Believing" in the theory of evolution is unreasonable, not to mention an insult to what it truly is; a scientific model that attempts to explain the worldly phenomena we see around us. Science is not a faith, and every dipshit that claims that the theory of evolution (see? it's not a law) should be believed in, is kicking proper empirical science in the nutsack.

Scientific models try to make sense of worldly phenomena, so that we may interpret and predict them. Think of the two contradictory theories of interpreting light - particle and wave. Neither of them are probably 100% true, but both help us to predict and calculate the behavior of light and lasers to a degree that it allows us to erect technological progress around it.

Any -real- scientist will acknowledge that if a better model to explain the differentiation between (and development of) the species will pop up, the theory of evolution will be rightfully binned. Science isn't certain about evolution, it's just the best guess they have so far.

bakutero

Nov 7, 2009
Religion is silly. Its the equivalent of if there was a huge group of people, and they all believed that there was a rock in front of them but there wasn't. And while they were all believing that, everyone else isn't allowed to tell them that there just is no rock because it will offend them.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
I personally think my faith(christianity) and science intersect pretty well, but arguing that here is like trying to argue with a twilight fan girl that edward is creepy. So why bother eh.
I've been down that road with a member of the Escapist, no way you can win without the "It's my opinion" card being played >_>

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
This is probably as pointless as cleaning the oily ocean with a drop of rain, but may as well.
I believe in Creationism and the existance of Evolution, and the two together are logical. I like how Stan from South Park put it, "Doesn't it explain the 'How', not the 'Why'?"

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
bakutero said:
Religion is silly. Its the equivalent of if there was a huge group of people, and they all believed that there was a rock in front of them but there wasn't. And while they were all believing that, everyone else isn't allowed to tell them that there just is no rock because it will offend them.
There's always one...

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
I believe that creationism and evolution are both right and that they are happening in conjunction.

I don't see why everyone has to be a dick about it and make it an "either-or" thing.

clzark

Aug 21, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
I personally think my faith(christianity) and science intersect pretty well, but arguing that here is like trying to argue with a twilight fan girl that edward is creepy. So why bother eh.
I agree. with all of that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Cakes said:
PhiMed said:
Actually, that's the definition of an atheist. If you believe that there is a possibility that there may be a God, then you are an agnostic.
No. Atheism doesn't require any "belief" at all, only a strong atheist would say "I believe there is no god", as I've already told you. The average, run of the mill atheist would likely say something along the lines of "there's probably no god."
Well then they're not an atheist, they're agnostic.

You're either an atheist or you're not.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Akai Shizuku said:
I believe that creationism and evolution are both right and that they are happening in conjunction.

I don't see why everyone has to be a dick about it and make it an "either-or" thing.
As soon as you said the words "I believe" you answered your final sentence.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Because just like religeon(sp) it is based on faith the "proof" is theories and assumptions nothing has been proven. Hopeful "yet", I would love to see proof for evolution or religeon but since there isn't I don't believe either.

cartzo

Apr 16, 2009
their is a biology teacher in my school who himself doesnt believe in the evolutionary theory, he has only ever spoken of it once because he is of course abliged to teach it, he doesnt directly believe in god, he is actually an agnostic, he just sees life as something to complicated to originate from that particular theory.

heres a good question, can all the fossil evidence, carbon dating, and lengthy studies accumulate to conclusive proof?

Snack Cake

Jun 9, 2009
crudus said:
Snack Cake said:
crudus said:
Snack Cake said:
Because it doesn't fit their world view. They are happier to not believe it. That is all you need to know.
As a science-minded person, asking "why?" is a big part of what I do. If this question makes you uncomfortable, you are certainly free to ignore it. Trying to prevent others from learning, on the other hand, seems unnecessarily combative to me.
Ok, I can take another argument path. How do you feel about Jehovah's Witnesses or Catholics (not picking on anyone, just saying two sects that go out a preach) trying to tell you about the word of The Lord?
If a Jehovah's Witness wants to start a thread: "Have you accepted Jesus as your lord and saviour?", then more power too them. I'll probably ignore it, or just respond "No".

Snack Cake

Jun 9, 2009
Cakes said:
Snack Cake said:
so I guess it would be nice to see how you figure science and Christianity go hand in hand without changing what it was.
How the holy fuck do you even measure "six days" before the sun and earth were created? Most just figure evolution goes in depth as to how, exactly, their deity formed life.
That's an interesting "quote", given that I never said any such thing. Regardless, I would say that this is a pretty good example of non-literal interpretation of the bible.

Snack Cake

Jun 9, 2009
Nunatak said:
"Believing" in the theory of evolution is unreasonable, not to mention an insult to what it truly is; a scientific model that attempts to explain the worldly phenomena we see around us. Science is not a faith, and every dipshit that claims that the theory of evolution (see? it's not a law) should be believed in, is kicking proper empirical science in the nutsack.
Use of the word believe here may technically be inappropriate, but I'm going to defer to the definitive source in response:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/09/peeeedaaaaaants.php

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I would agree...let's all avoid controversial topics like this, it only leads to childish fighting.