Results are only viewable after voting.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Nobody answered my ichiban question. Am I the only one here who eats it dry?
If you're talking about Ramen, have eaten it dry once when I was too lazy to boil water, but I didn't enjoy it enough to do it again.

Fun fact, I was in my 20s before I realized you were supposed add the seasoning packet to the water you boil the noodles in. All my life to that point, I drained the water and added the seasoning packet to the wet noodles. I still actually prefer it that way, but like the "right" way as well.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I vaguely remember some weight loss thing that suggested fruit juice instead of milk on cereal to cut down on fat.
Cut down on fat and double down on sugar? I'm sure that bore fruit.

I'd rather eat the cereal pieces dry, heck, I have eaten them dry in the past as a child when we we're out of potato chips / crisps.

As for ramen... when I make instant ramen I sometimes break off small chunks while I'm waiting for the water to boil, but I wouldn't ever eat the entire packet like that.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I'd rather eat the cereal pieces dry, heck, I have eaten them dry in the past as a child when we we're out of potato chips / crisps.
They're probably better with milk even if you did have potato chips to have them with.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Nobody answered my ichiban question. Am I the only one here who eats it dry?
I didn't know what ichiban was and bitter experience has taught me that I would generally rather not know the results of googling japanese words I have read on internet forums.

Now that earlier posters have spared me the need to do that, yes, I think you are.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I didn't know what ichiban was and bitter experience has taught me that I would generally rather not know the results of googling japanese words I have read on internet forums.

Now that earlier posters have spared me the need to do that, yes, I think you are.
Ichiban translates to "number one". They used to have these ads where a dude would say "ichiban is number one" which would be really clever if anybody spoke Japanese where I lived.

Eating it dry was a normal school lunch thing where I grew up. Cost $0.33 to $1.25 depending on how fancy it was and it's basically a full meal of calories, and multiple meals over multiple days of salt. I tried it again recently and I got instant heartburn from the salt so I'll be leaving that habit in the past.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ichiban translates to "number one". They used to have these ads where a dude would say "ichiban is number one" which would be really clever if anybody spoke Japanese where I lived.

Eating it dry was a normal school lunch thing where I grew up. Cost $0.33 to $1.25 depending on how fancy it was and it's basically a full meal of calories, and multiple meals over multiple days of salt. I tried it again recently and I got instant heartburn from the salt so I'll be leaving that habit in the past.
I only use half the seasoning packet.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK

Ok, so you would eat a noodle brick dry? Like, just unrap it and take a bite out of the corner? By salt do you mean the flavouring packet? How big were these noodle packets? I suddenly have so many questions

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ok, so you would eat a noodle brick dry? Like, just unrap it and take a bite out of the corner? By salt do you mean the flavouring packet? How big were these noodle packets? I suddenly have so many questions
I just crush it up and add half the flavour pack and eat the chunks with a spoon. Nice and crunchy.
Holy cow!

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
We would break it up in the bag and then carefully open the top so it still holds all the noodles. Dump in the spice packet, shake and pour it into your mouth. Drathnoxis is much more sodium concious than we ever were, but these days I get heartburn when I touch salt lamps and he can still eat those noodles so I can't pretend that careful application of spice packets has no upside.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Do you eat the cereal dry or put water on it?

Also bonus question: is ichiban better dry?

Dry, but why at all is the ultimate question, unless you really mean a physical lack of access to milk. Otherwise, if lactose intolerance is an issue there is Lactaid milk. If cholesterol is an issue there is sugar free plain Chobani oat milk. It only takes a week or so for personal tastes to adjust to a dietary change.

Oatmeal is another solution.