If you had to live in any fictional universe, which?

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
The skies are turning red and tenticles the size of skyscrapers are decending from the heavens. Reality is falling appart.

As you stare at the dying sun, a shady person in robes approaches you and takes out a sheet of paper of paper and offers you to sign it. In blood, of course.

Basically, you will be able to move to any other fictional universe from an existing franchise. You, however, won't change a bit. Your position in that world also is undetermined.

In other words, if you want to move to a world where mechs fight kaijus, you are not garanteed to be one of the mech pilots and might end up as one of the background extras that gets squished.

It should be said, that ones you enter that plane of existance, you won't be able to move or return.

"It's time to choose" - utters the figure, as ground begins to crumble beneath your feet.

Personally, I'd move to some continent in D&D or any other high fantasy RPG and try to run a tavern. Probably experiment with alchemy or other types of sourcery while I'm there.

Faaip

Move Along
Jan 4, 2009
Definitely Middle Earth (preferably in between the times of war) or maybe the Star Trek universe..

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
The Madden (or "Insert any EA Sport game title here") universe

I have defeated you shady person in a robe (Dad?)! Victory is mine!

Seems like the safest play seeing that in many games, you have a handful of useful people and then everyone else. You might win the genetic lottery and not get immediately murdered by whatever is in that game world because you're the hero but I think I'll stick with this world and see what happens.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
tippy2k2 said:

Seems like the safest play seeing that in many games, you have a handful of useful people and then everyone else. You might win the genetic lottery and not get immediately murdered by whatever is in that game world because you're the hero but I think I'll stick with this world and see what happens.
I can imagine that.

After a long game with a narrow victory your entire team heads off to the showers to salute the players. A few short interviews later you drive off, only to realize that the road to the stadium is cut by a cliff. A few hours later you realize that the entire stadium is actually floading in void, as the purpose of this realm is to entertain the massess in the only way possible.

Hope Ronaldo will keep you company.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Star Trek. Post-scarcity super-tech society where you do what you love because you want to.

I'd be able to go back to school and learn/research basically whatever I wanted.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Level 7 Dragon said:
tippy2k2 said:

I can imagine that.

After a long game with a narrow victory your entire team heads off to the showers to salute the players. A few short interviews later you drive off, only to realize that the road to the stadium is cut by a cliff. A few hours later you realize that the entire stadium is actually floading in void, as the purpose of this realm is to entertain the massess in the only way possible.

Hope Ronaldo will keep you company.
Eh, better than dying in a giant rubble pile that used to be my tavern when a dragon that a group of adventures was fighting crashed into it :p

Jan 27, 2011
I'm not even a fan of Pokemon, but I'd pick the world of Pokemon.

Because it's practically a utopia, and pets are the most overpowered awesome things ever.

There's little risk, and so much potential for awesome. As long as I don't spawn in a highly dangerous area when I first arrive, and as long as I can catch SOMETHING early on, I should be ok.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
altnameJag said:
Star Trek. Post-scarcity super-tech society where you do what you love because you want to.

I'd be able to go back to school and learn/research basically whatever I wanted.
Pretty much the only answer I can think of. While Star Trek has some narrative issues that sometimes make it a bore from an outside perspective (Something shared by many 'Utopia' universes), it's by far the best to live in. Free everything, only as much responsibility as you wish to take, and as long as you live on Earth, you're pretty much 100% safe. There's some problems at the top with preferential treatment, but I don't see how that would affect the average person.

I suppose Star Gate would be a fun universe as well - Just like ours, but with space ships and rail guns. And if you knew that in advance, you could probably choose fairly easily between 'Enlist in the Air Force and search the stars for fights' and 'Be a military contractor who rakes in the cash.' Warhammer 40K is one of my favorite universes, but lets be honest - There's maybe 12 real life people in the entire history of humanity that have any hope of lasting more then a year in that nightmare.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
The dimension of YuGiOh, because then all my time learning the game and other TCGs could probably elevate me to the level of celebrity until I run into the protagonist and his infinite luck draws.

But that's fine. Unlike some, I'm content with being the eternal second-place rival who matches friendship speeches with cynicism.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The Mass Effect universe, post reapers. I've always been fascinated by space and such series as star trek. So...yea...even if I could only become a courier, I'd want to get on a spaceship and travel to different planets. And ME3's end narration explains that post-reapers is a peaceful and prosperous time, so...

Other than that I'd probably say the pokemon universe, preferably the Johto region. Heck, I still play the games from time to time. And considering how being electrocuted or set ablaze or something similar doesn't seem to really hurt humans that much over there, I'd say it would be a very fun yet still relatively safe universe to spend the rest of my days in. No need for pokemon school any more, so I could become a trainer as soon as I found myself a pokemon. And considering how easily pokemon seem to be given away for free or as gifts, that shouldn't be a problem either. I imagine eventually having Arcanine and Pidgeot to travel on.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
TESD Town. Easy.

altnameJag said:

Well yeah but you gotta worry about war all the time. If it's not the Romulans, it's the Dominion.

Theres a huge fallout for that Dominion War that we don't get to see. A lot of soldiers with PTSD.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Tough one. Living in a fantasy world like Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls, or Middle Earth would be cool... but I wouldn't last like ten seconds.

So I'm going to have to say Pokemon. I pretty much mop the floor with everyone in the games and become a millionaire in no time. I think I could live pretty well there, plus Pokemon.

Runner up would be Mass Effect, pre-reaper threat.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
altnameJag said:

Yeah, definitely the best call. It seems like in such a world, either you're a spacefaring hero badass or you're just some rando who gets to do whatever they want with their time because all other labor is irrelevant when matter can be created out of nowhere (or at least out of abundant basic elements). I would sit around, order my stuff materializer to create me 40s, menthols, studio equipment, and Paradox Studios games and never be anything less than content again. I suppose the things I would record with the studio equipment would be irrelevant in such a utopic future, but perhaps future people would like it as a reminder of the sort of grumbles people used to have about the society in which they lived.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Probably Tamriel. It's a bit less grim than a lot of fantasy settings (but hardly the most friendly). I'd probably try to become some kind of roaming sorcerer, and inevitably get killed by some generic chosen-one for the basic loot I'm carrying. Still, it seems like an interesting enough world, and as long as you pick a location that isn't conveniently war torn enough to be the setting for a game then things don't seem too harsh. Cyrodiil seems prosperous enough directly before the events of Oblivion.

Plus, there are Khajiit and Argonians, which is a plus for various ... NSFW reasons.

I guess some of the more utopian settings would also be a nice, especially sci-fi settings where traveling the galaxy is possible. Although, another thing to consider is settings that canonically have an afterlife.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I would love to live in the galaxy of Mass Effect, if only because it seems so rich, vibrant and there's space babes! Either pre-Reaper/post-Reaper in time; the before and after of that just hasn't been explored enough, outside of the novel tie-ins (of which YMMV).

I would also like to live in the world of Pacific Rim, which I just re-watched a couple of days ago. Who wouldn't want the chance to be a pilot of a 200ft.+ tall engine of destruction?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Zeras said:
I would also like to live in the world of Pacific Rim, which I just re-watched a couple of days ago. Who wouldn't want the chance to be a pilot of a 200ft.+ tall engine of destruction?
Considering how rare Jaegers are, even when they were in their prime production wise, and the bizarre set of requirements for being a prime candidate (Having a sibling who, like you, is hyper violent, among others), and considering the consequences of failing to meet those requirements (Being pushed out to the dangerous coast if your not rich, and having to deal with a trashed economy and an extremely high level of unemployment), I don't think it would be worth it. Better off in 40K - At least if you flub your employment roll and don't get to be a Princeps, at least you can get a lasgun.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
aegix drakan said:
I'm not even a fan of Pokemon, but I'd pick the world of Pokemon.

Because it's practically a utopia, and pets are the most overpowered awesome things ever.

There's little risk, and so much potential for awesome. As long as I don't spawn in a highly dangerous area when I first arrive, and as long as I can catch SOMETHING early on, I should be ok.
Gosh darn it, I have that exact same answer, you'll be hearing from my lawyers.
But seriously, I'm not a fan of Pokemon either, used to be, but it seems like a pretty safe bet.
And I wouldn't worry about spawning somewhere dangerous,in the real world, getting shocked by a Pikachu or burned by a Charmander would be deadly but if we're talkin' Poke-verse here, you'll just get knocked out and won't sustain any lasting injuries.

And as long as I'm here...

AccursedTheory said:
Considering how rare Jaegers are, even when they were in their prime production wise, and the bizarre set of requirements for being a prime candidate (Having a sibling who, like you, is hyper violent, among others), and considering the consequences of failing to meet those requirements (Being pushed out to the dangerous coast if your not rich, and having to deal with a trashed economy and an extremely high level of unemployment), I don't think it would be worth it. Better off in 40K - At least if you flub your employment roll and don't get to be a Princeps, at least you can get a lasgun.
Yeah, I was thinkin' about that, and I may as well throw in some more risks as long as I'm here.
I was thinkin' that if you get past all the "if's" and actually become a pilot, it's not like that's a walk in the park either. You gotta learn a whole new way to move because you're trying to balance a two-hundred fifty foot walking war tower, let along while it's fighting and being attacked.
And only one of you has to die or get knocked out in the conn-pod to lose the fight, the whole "single-pilot" thing doesn't happen that often, in fact, it's only happened twice. And once one-a you gets knocked outta commission, you still have to survive the 250-foot fall to the ground and if you survive that, hope the Kaiju don't know you're in there.

Let it be known, I'm not bashin' on Pacific Rim, I love Pacific Rim, I love it to bits, I even know who my Jaeger co-pilot would be and if given the chance to pilot one, would sign the contract without even reading it but these are the risks when you get down to the nitty-gritty.