If you had to name your son after a video game character, who would you choose and why?

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Recent surveys in the USA show that the most popular names for newborns this year are Katniss, a la Katniss Everdeen, and Django, of Django Unchained. Since naming kids after books and movies seems to be an increasingly common and accepted trend I was wondering what some of us gamers would name our kids if we gave them names based off of our heroes.

If it were absolutely possible name my my kid after any game character, I'd choose Megaman. But since that is likely to get him beat up and me yelled at by his mother I'd go with the name John. John is the name for a lot of good heroes in games (John Shepard, Snake, etc.) so I don't think I could go wrong with a name like that. Or Apollo, Greek deity names seem to have a lot of power behind them(Ace Attorney) So what about you guys? What/who would you guys name your kids after? And from what?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I never understood why parents hate their children so much that they would name their kids like that...

What did that kid ever do to you!?!?!?!

To answer the thread though: Alyx (as in, Alyx Vance). I love that name (though I would do that to a girl obviously, I would go with Alex if it was a guy and I'll just assume there is an Alex somewhere in video games).

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
If I had to do it while avoiding a total beating from my future wife and avoiding the kid getting picked on for the rest of his life:

Leon from the Resident Evil games would by my first choice. Can't really come up with any after that. Maybe one of the Mario brothers, but that would be too obvious. Names such as John, James, and Jack wouldn't be because of video games but because they are just common, uncreative names.

If it was a girl, then maybe Ashley from both Resident Evil 4 and the Mass Effect games. Farah from The Prince of Persia games would also be high on the list. If my future wife doesn't mind going with a much less popular name, Fiora or Melia (yes, they are real names) from Xenoblade Chronicles would also be on the list, though I'd probably have to go with Sharla if I wanted to name them after anyone in that game.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well...

I'd probably name him Vivi after Vivi Ornitier from Final Fantasy IX. Probably because he's my favorite character in that game.

Chances are, I'd probably name him something like Dan or something.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
A child is an independent and autonomous human being, not a bumper sticker to show off every book or movie or video game you personally like. I will not name my child after a video game character, especially one with such an obnoxious name like "Cloud" or "Alucard" or "Zidane." If it's a regular name that happens to be shared by a character then fine (Nathan, John, Fiona, etc) but a fantastical name? Certainly not.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'd just choose a character that happened to have the same name that I would have chosen anyway.

So, let's see... Ashley for a girl and Joshua for a boy.

There must be a game character named Joshua out there somewhere.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
A boy i'm definately naming him Logan ( Wolverine DUH ). And if it's a girl LUFIA . And i am dying her hair blue dammit! And not a soul can stop me!

Capcha : thumbs up . SEE CAPCHA APROUVES!

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
I'd probably name him Jack as Jack from Bioshock, Jack from Mass Effect and Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2.

You just can't go wrong with Jack.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
boy - Link, it's a common name already,used to be a popular name in the 50's and 60's

girl - Aerith, it's a simple name that also sounds pretty and I don't think people will make fun of her since the name sounds normal enough

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
krazykidd said:
A boy i'm definately naming him Logan ( Wolverine DUH ). And if it's a girl LUFIA . And i am dying her hair blue dammit! And not a soul can stop me!

Wow you must hate your daughter then.

Lucien might be a cool name for a guy(Lucien Lachance), it is still somewhat normal and cool and Lucien is one of the best characters in Oblivion.

For a girl, hmmm, maybe Leliana. It is a pretty name and one of my favorite characters from Dragon Age(one of my favorite rpgs of all time).

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
If I were to have a daughter one day, I decided long ago that her name would be Felicia. It's a beautiful name, and the fact that it is shared with my favorite Capcom character is merely a coincidence.

Nobody would ever know.

As for a boy, I have no idea. Nothing really sticks out to me guy-wise.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
The_Lost_King said:
krazykidd said:

Wow you must hate your daughter then.

Lucien might be a cool name for a guy(Lucien Lachance), it is still somewhat normal and cool and Lucien is one of the best characters in Oblivion.

For a girl, hmmm, maybe Leliana. It is a pretty name and one of my favorite characters from Dragon Age(one of my favorite rpgs of all time).
I gotta ask . Did you read my profile page? Or did you come up with Lucien on your own , because that's one hell of a coicidence . Also Lufia is an awsome name an iv'e wanted to name my daughter that since i was 4 ( after the game with the same name of course).

Btw , i really hate MY name (Lucien ) .

Also it's the name of the main vilain from fable 2 and Ni no kuni . WHY ARE ALL LUCIENS EVIL?!?

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Zhukov said:
There must be a game character named Joshua out there somewhere.

Personally, I'd rather give them a normal name. Nothing fantastical. Probably Leon, because I like the name Leon. I'm undecided on female names.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I'd go with Thor, from Avengers, I suppose.
If I ever bother get kids I plan to give them Norse names, Scandinavian as I am, though I'd like something slightly more original(Tor and Freja are great names but a bit too common >.<).

WolfCross

Jun 12, 2012
I could maybe get away with Yuna if i lived in Korea, also Freya is a nice (and actual) name.

Aug 1, 2010
For a boy, my first thought is Avery after Sergeant Johnson from Halo, since he's completely awesome. Or possibly Lucian as another person mentioned. Lucian Lachance is the best.

A girl....... Hrm. [s/]abort her and try agian[/s]

I guess Sydney. "Y"s are cool and my favorite game is Fallout 3.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Barret

A) I love FF7 and it would feel wrong to name him after anything else

B) Who doesn't want Mr T for a son, bad ass and respects your mother

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Luke from Tales of the Abyss. No one would cringe if I called him that.

Because I think naming kids after video game characters is selfish and bad parenting.

Any girls I had would have an equally less mockable name.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Isaac Clarke, I don't even like Dead Space anymore, but I can use this loophole to name him after a Sci-Fi author.