If you had to name your son after a video game character, who would you choose and why?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Lilani said:
A child is an independent and autonomous human being, not a bumper sticker to show off every book or movie or video game you personally like. I will not name my child after a video game character, especially one with such an obnoxious name like "Cloud" or "Alucard" or "Zidane."
Uh, Zidane is a real name :p I've only ever seen it used as a last name, in real life, though.
Exactly. It's still a name that the kid would have to stop and explain every time they say it, and frequently correct people on the spelling and pronunciation. It's nothing but a bother. If you want something to brand with an unusual name because you think it's a cool character or name, get a dog.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
i would make 2 skyrim characters, a man and a woman, and name them whatever i wouldve chosen anyway.

/thread :p

Murahk

Jul 18, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
But I've always wanted a kid named Damien so there's gotta be a game character out there.
Yeah, the primary antagonist from Divinity II is named Damien, so you're sweet.

In regards to the topic, I'd have to say that for a boy, I'd go... I actually have no idea about boys names. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

For a girl's name, I'd go Selencia. You can totally choose names of video game characters that you named yourself, right? Right? Also, Daenerys is quite a pretty name, if a little (READ: very) exotic.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
krazykidd said:
The_Lost_King said:
krazykidd said:
A boy i'm definately naming him Logan ( Wolverine DUH ). And if it's a girl LUFIA . And i am dying her hair blue dammit! And not a soul can stop me!

Capcha : thumbs up . SEE CAPCHA APROUVES!
Wow you must hate your daughter then.

Lucien might be a cool name for a guy(Lucien Lachance), it is still somewhat normal and cool and Lucien is one of the best characters in Oblivion.

For a girl, hmmm, maybe Leliana. It is a pretty name and one of my favorite characters from Dragon Age(one of my favorite rpgs of all time).
I gotta ask . Did you read my profile page? Or did you come up with Lucien on your own , because that's one hell of a coicidence . Also Lufia is an awsome name an iv'e wanted to name my daughter that since i was 4 ( after the game with the same name of course).

Btw , i really hate MY name (Lucien ) .

Also it's the name of the main vilain from fable 2 and Ni no kuni . WHY ARE ALL LUCIENS EVIL?!?
It was a coincidence. I was talking about the Dark Brotherhood on another forum so Lucien Lachance popped into my mind. I do think it is a funny coincidence though.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Lilani said:
A child is an independent and autonomous human being, not a bumper sticker to show off every book or movie or video game you personally like. I will not name my child after a video game character, especially one with such an obnoxious name like "Cloud" or "Alucard" or "Zidane." If it's a regular name that happens to be shared by a character then fine (Nathan, John, Fiona, etc) but a fantastical name? Certainly not.
This.

Why the fuck do people feel the need to paint targets on their kids in this manner? I seem to remember this one couple wanting to name their baby Dovahkiin about a year or so back, RIGHT HERE. That child is going to end up on suicide watch at some point.

DarkSeraphim02

Feb 28, 2011
Lilani said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Lilani said:
A child is an independent and autonomous human being, not a bumper sticker to show off every book or movie or video game you personally like. I will not name my child after a video game character, especially one with such an obnoxious name like "Cloud" or "Alucard" or "Zidane."
Uh, Zidane is a real name :p I've only ever seen it used as a last name, in real life, though.
Exactly. It's still a name that the kid would have to stop and explain every time they say it, and frequently correct people on the spelling and pronunciation. It's nothing but a bother. If you want something to brand with an unusual name because you think it's a cool character or name, get a dog.
I wouldn't even give my pets a weird name. I agree with you on naming a kid Cloud or Zidane, though you could kind of squeeze naming the kid after Alucard by if you used his real name, Adrian (which is also my half brothers name), assuming you mean the Castlevania Alucard anyway, if you mean Hellsing then yeah, that'd be a rough as hell name to live with. If someone is dead set on giving thier child an unusual name, for the love of God show the kid at least a sliver of mercy and only use it as their middle name.

OT: While I highly doubt I'll ever have children of my own, I've been fond of the name Eve ever since I played Parasite Eve, I just think it's a pretty name and thankfully it's not that uncommon either, so provided the childs mom was ok with the name, I'd like the name Eve for a daughter. If I had a son, I'd probably go for Gabriel, and yeah, I'd be naming the kid after the guy who is my avatar, but hey, at least it's a normal name.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
If I hated my hypothetical children enough to do something as embarrassing as naming them after a video game character ( and I would!)

I would go with

Gabriel after Gabriel Logan from Syphon Filter. One I just like the name, and two Gabe was a pretty good guy.

Rachel after Rachel Shepard (Mass Effect) and...well again i like the name and I really like the character.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Already decided. If it's a girl, Lorelai or Morrigan (or Morgan, depending). If it's a boy, Solomon.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Well I've always liked the name Jade (as in Beyond Good and Evil), so if I had a daughter that's probably what I'd want to name her.
But as for a son... I honestly can't think of any that are good enough to not get him picked on, while not being too generic... maybe it's for the best, I have allot of sympathy for all of those kids named "Dovakiin" come 2015...

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
I would likely name my son Aaron, after as most boys in video games that have such a name are adventurous, brave, and kind. Additionally, I think it is one the greatest names that actually is a normal name ever.

As a slightly bit off topic, to those that are getting all upset about people doing this to their future children:

1. Do you really think most of them are going to remember this when and if they do name their children?

2. While I do understand that it can be awful for a kid growing up to have a terrible name, having a plain name is pretty bad too. I can't count the sheer number of times I or someone else has gotten confused when something is getting passed back, looking for someone with my name, or any number of other scenarios when my common name has caused so much confusion. Eventually, I just starting having people call me by my last name, as I am at least fairly certain nobody has that name.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Well, the thing is I wanted to name my son Isaac, which has nothing to do with Dead Space.

If I had to choose a character...shit, the only name I actually like from video games is Artyom.

Artyom from the Metro series. He's a badass and a total hero, as well as the name just being fucking awesome.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I would name my child "slaughterfish" for obvious reasons.

For serious though, League of Legends has a sliding scale of not so normal to pretty normal character names (they called a giant blob monster Zac for fucks sake) but some of them are just slightly out there enough to be cool. Jax, Draven, and Zyra to name a few.

SweetLemonTea

Dec 18, 2012
For a son I will give him the name Isaac named after that kid in the binding of isaac. if it was girl though i'll name her Saya.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
Zhukov said:
I'd just choose a character that happened to have the same name that I would have chosen anyway.

So, let's see... Ashley for a girl and Joshua for a boy.

There must be a game character named Joshua out there somewhere.

Clearly you need a name that speaks power. That speaks more of a history over decades. Clearly the child must be named Simon! Belmonts for all of time.

Or maybe after a Phoenix Wright character. But it can't be Phoenix. That is my name!

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i did name my kid after a game character; gabriel logan, from syphon filter. as for why, because it sounded normal and my partner accepted it.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Bruce Wayne, because it would be the the best justification for anything.

Me: Bruce, why did you drink all of my liquor?
Bruce: Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN!
Me: You're drunk, go to bed.

Wife: I still don't regret that name
Me: me neither, although I do need to go down to the bottle shop now.

ComandaKool

Jun 5, 2011
Lance as in Lance champion of the elite four in Pokemon; also I just like that as a name. I also agree with the OP Greek deity names do have power to them, personally I would choose Perseus or Artemis.

Kilt'd

Feb 19, 2013
Batman. Batman would be an awesome name. But seriously, Sam could be a decent name, but I'm not sure naming my kid after Sam Fischer would set a good example.