"If you like X, you'll like Y" Thread

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Just in case the weird title didn't explain it well enough, this thread is all about recommending stuff based on other stuff the person may like. I'd like to focus on games but put whatever you like in your posts! Enjoy yourselves!

I'll get us started off with an obvious one.

If you like KOTOR 1 & 2, you'll love Mass Effect (specifically 2).

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
If you like ASOIAF, you may well love the Witcher books and Berserk.

Edit: Also, wouldn't this be better suited for off-topic? Otherwise specify this as about games, not stuff in general.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
If you like Zelda and God of War then you'll like Darksiders 1 & 2

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
TristanBelmont said:
If you like KOTOR 1 & 2, you'll love Mass Effect (specifically 2).
More accurately if you wanted more Hollywood drama in KOTOR then you will love ME.
Personally I love KOTOR but ME2 soured that series to me completely, the layers of overblown nonsense just go too deep.

But anyone who likes CoD multiplayer is sure to enjoy Blacklight Retribution and Dirty Bomb, all nigh identical mechanics but you save yourself $120 per year by playing the other two. Especially if you enjoy that gear grind, boy are you in for a treat.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Smooth Operator said:
Personally I love KOTOR but ME2 soured that series to me completely, the layers of overblown nonsense just go too deep.
Which were those layers? The main story or the character forks?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
If you like Tales of Symphonia you'll most likely enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles!
Note, I said most likely, people still have weird things they like and don't like, even if they might seem similar to me. CoD and Battlefield, FIFA and PES etc. Althou that might be more of a what "team" you belong to?

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
If you like Pokemon X you will probably like Pokemon Y. No?

Ok how about if you like the legend of Zelda you will probably like Okami.

Dragonzeanse

Mar 17, 2015
If you like the classic Fallout games such as the first two, you'll like Wasteland 2 - which is faithful to the CRPG format that went missing for some years and even expands upon it.

If you like old-school shooters such as Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, you'll like Shadow Warrior (2013), developed by Flying Wild Hog, the developers of Hard Reset. It's a wonderful return to form that is frequently on sale on Steam and has had console ports to PS4 and Xbox One recently. I don't recommend it at $60, which is good because it was never $60.

If you like XCOM: Enemy Unknown and stealth games, you'll like Invisible, Inc. It was developed by Klei, creators of Don't Starve, Mark of the Ninja, Shank, and Eets. Rather than direct combat, you'll frequently be required to remain in stealth and consider your tactics, positioning, and manage your resources carefully.

If you like Civilization, you'll like Endless Legend. I haven't played many 4X games in my life, so I'm sure games like Fallen Enchantress might resemble Endless Legend better, with its use of heroes and a dedicated combat system. Regardless, Endless Legend is oozing with the kind of depth that a strategy gamer would love to pick up and play.

If you like platformers such as the Genesis-era Sonic the Hedgehog games, you'll like Freedom Planet, an indie game that is as much a love letter to Sonic as it is to platformers in general. It's not a Sonic clone by any means, but a very fun side-scrolling action-platforming game that provides plenty of meaty challenge to keep you invested, along with multiple playable characters, and a beautiful 16-bit art style that apes the Genesis just as well as Shovel Knight apes the NES. In fact, both were released in 2014, and Freedom Planet very much feels like the Genesis platformer to the NES platformer that is Shovel Knight. The spirit of Sega and Nintendo console wars lives on in them both. And ironically, it's on the Wii U now... like Sonic...

I tried to avoid games I think a lot of people will really know the names of. I mentioned Wasteland 2 because it's known more for its Kickstarter success. Endless Legend got acknowledged as one of his top ten games of 2014, but outside of that, I don't see much mention of it. And it has a $10 expansion pack now. Don't bother with the dev's previous 4X game, Endless Space, unless you really want a space 4X. I don't think it has staying power Legend does.

FliedLiverAttack

Nov 29, 2013
Well if you like Civilization V, you'll like Endless Legend with it's rich setting and unique factions I'd recommend it over Beyond Earth ( and holding off on BE until after the expansion cycle is done, too. )

NINJAAAAAAAAAAAAAED NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Too obvious: If you like Pokemon X, you'll like Pokemon Y.

If you like Ragnarok 2, you'll like Eden Eternal. (Hardly the best games, but similar nonetheless).

Definitely false, imo: If you like Baldur's Gate, you'll like Icewind Dale (I found ID boring).

Classic: If you like Neverwinter Nights, You'll like Dungeon Siege 1 & it's standalone expansion.

If you liked FF6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, or Crusader of Centy, you'll like Aveyond.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
If you like Her Story, you might like Hate: An Analogue Story.

Conversely, if you hate visual novels, you'll probably like Christine Love's visual novels, by dint of them being everything the typical VN isn't.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
i find when i love a game then the alternatives (the "Y" in this case) always sort of bums me out for not being the "X". Like, I love Tekken, I can sometimes get along with Street Fighter, but SFxT and Marvel can suck a fat one. I love Match of the Millennium on NeoGeo Pocket Colour, I like KoF 2002UM, but keep KoF XIII away from me.

If you love Pix the Cat, you're an average human being 'cause Pix the Cat is the tits and nothing similar is its equal.

maybe I'm just really crap and awkward lol.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
If you liked State of Decay and XComm, you'll like Dead State.
If you liked Body Harvest, you'll like Earth Defense Force 2066.
If you liked Roller Coaster Tycoon, you'll like Startopia.
If you liked Gone Home, you'll like Myst.
if you like being bored, you'll like Godus.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
If you like X-Com: Enemy Unknown, you'll like Massive Chalice

If you liked Psychonauts, you'll like Stick it to the Man

If you liked Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, or 5 you'll like Bravely Default

If you liked Twisted Metal and Mario Kart, you'll like Beetle Adventure Racing

If you liked Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Braid, you'll like Anodyne

If you liked the 3D Legend of Zelda Games, you'll like Darksiders 1

If you liked the 3D Legend of Zelda Games but felt that the games would have been made better by adding an inventory system filled with weapons and armour that are only marginally better than your current ones, you'll like Darksiders 2

If you liked Superman64, you may like any of the following: BDSM, Extreme Piercings, a locked room in a mental health institute, or the Demon/Dark Souls series.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If you like The Dresden Files, you'll like the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka.

If you like God of War/Dante's Inferno-esque games, you'll like Warhammer 40k Space Marines

If you like the original Thief series, you will NOT[/b like the new Thief reboot. You will however like Dishonored, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

If you like Douglas Adams, you will like Terry Pratchet.

If you like Terry Pratchet, you will like Douglas Adams.

If you like Dynasty Warriors, you will like Hyrule Warriors.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
If you like Half-Life 2, you'll like BioShock 1. Same presentation of story, just with an actual story this time 'round.