If you play a low difficulty, do you ever feel ashamed?

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
No. The point of a game is for me to have fun. And you know what I don't think is fun? Dying over and over again and getting frustrated. I like to succeed that's how I have fun. If the game is not fun at higher difficulty I turn it down.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I grew up with a generation of gamers who would mock you for using Game Genie/Shark and playing on easy modes. I normally refuse to play anything on easy mode, but I usually don't go beyond Normal(unless it's too easy). Seriously I've got high blood pressure as it is, I don't need to make it worse.

ExplosiveTiger

Jul 4, 2011
Now of days yeah I kind of do, but I use to always pick easy on mature game when I was a little kid. I thought that because it's a Mature game Normal and above would be hard for a kid like me...Not so much I found out.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Depends. Partially on my own skill at the game, partially at how tough the game actually is. Generally, I feel "ashamed" of playing below my skill level. I don't feel ashamed of playing a killer game on an easier setting, though.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No, I freely admit that I'm not good enough to beat most FPS games on anything but easy difficulty.

It only bothers me when someone else in Rock Band refuses to advance beyond easy despite playing 95% on every song.

Sep 14, 2009
Serving UpSmiles said:
gmaverick019 said:
Serving UpSmiles said:
Wow not enough try hards in this thread, Easy/Normal mode is for pussies most of the time, Ramp it up to Hard/Extreme and then we'll talk.
herp derp because games are solely about competition and not about just relaxing and having fun, right, right?

nice one, there is a difference between trying your best and having fun and being "hardcore bro mode" and smashing your dignity to bits playing insane mode on every game.
Sorry easy modes just feels like the game is playing itself, which I hate.
while i would say that depends on the game, as that can be true while very untrue at the same time, i would just suggest not to get so entitled because you play on hardcore bro mode, while you call everyone else who doesn't do the same "pussies" for enjoying the game at their pace.

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
It depends on the game. If my character is meant to be godlike - like in God of War, Prototype or Just Cause 2 (because you're basically an action movie hero), I'll play it on easy because I want to feel awesomely powerful. More realistic sorts of games like Fallout I will play on a harder difficulty so I feel like I'm winning an uphill battle near the end

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
I play on all difficulty levels...
But's that only for trophies or rewards that require that difficulty level, if there are none or I've already earned them then I'll gladly turn the difficulty down to the lowest level and blast away carefree. I find no shame in this.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
First play through normal or hard, if I'm doing a second usually easy, games I'm just playing for fun usually easy, it realy depends on the game and how much time I have to play it.

Considering not many people are going to judge me on my particualr gaming habits whatever is the most fun for that game generally is fine by me.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Sometimes.. up until the first BS mechanic or enemy the game throws at you. or when they throw in a timer alongside the BS mechanic or enemy.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
theemporer said:
Wow, that's funny, I just played Oblivion for the first time last week and I had the same problem :/

I breezed through a good amount of the game a bit above average difficulty and couldn't get past a certain part so I turned the difficulty down. I felt like I was cheating for the rest of the game.
Oblivion's levelling is notoriously broken. I always keep the slider about 5 or 6 steps to the left, makes it feel a bit more fair.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
I usually stick to Normal difficulty, but if the game's totally kicking my arse then making me eat it, I'll switch down to Easy. Fortunately, such occasions are rare, if I do say so myself.

thelastmccabe

Jun 23, 2011
I try to avoid easy and put it on as hard as I think I can stand because I believe it adds to the experience to have a challenge. If I don't like a game that much or I'm sick of it and I still want to see the ending then I'll kick it down to easy.

And all you people who only play on easy SHOULD be ashamed of yourselves (kidding).

EcoHulk

Aug 3, 2011
I feel ashamed of people who play on the hardest difficulty then quit playing because the game is too hard. Games are for fun, and people have been pushing it to make games more like a job.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Holy hell.

I post this then go away for a couple of days, and it's gotten 200 replies. Just...wow.
It's also so reassuring to see that a lot of people share my opinions on this matter.

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
Mass Effect 2 was kindof easy on normal difficlty, the bosses could all be easily defeated aslong as you pulled out your heavy weapons (particularly a gun that basicly fires nukes)

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
The way I play games is as follows:
Play easy/casual/recruit difficulty first to get an idea for the path through the level, where the enemies spawn, and just understanding story without having to juggle comprehending what's going on in the story and worrying about tossing back the 4 or 5 grenades that just landed at my feet. <stares angerly at Call of Duty's Veteren difficulty>
Then I'll go for the harder play through for the challenge and or achievements.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
I'm guessing that some people play the easier difficulties the same reason they would choose a rocket-powered skateboard. They'd zoom through everything. Plus the attention-span of many people today is rather short, so they'd become either bored or frustrated quickly.