IGN Best Videogame of All Time Bracket

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Okay no WAY Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't the meme contender. I refuse to believe that when put up against Dark Souls, Tomb Raider can actually take 46% of the vote without people trying to game the system.
There's a pretty substantial group of people who hate Dark Souls, and also a pretty substantial group of people who don't "get it" or don't like it because it's too hard.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
But Witcher fucking beat the ORIGINAL DOOM to get there. Fuck The Witcher.
If it makes you feel any better, I voted for Doom...

That said, I haven't played any of the Witcher games.

That's what sucks for me with this, there's so many games listed I haven't played, and those that I have are paired up with those that I don't. So using this as an example, I voted for Doom, but is it better than Witcher 3? No idea.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
There's a pretty substantial group of people who hate Dark Souls, and also a pretty substantial group of people who don't "get it" or don't like it because it's too hard.
That's actually a good point, though I still refuse to believe that Tomb Raider has an actual fanbase voting for it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
That's actually a good point, though I still refuse to believe that Tomb Raider has an actual fanbase voting for it.
Because, y'know, a franchise that's gone on for over two decades and has games well into the double digits, isn't going to have amassed a fanbase along the way...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Because, y'know, a franchise that's gone on for over two decades and has games well into the double digits, isn't going to have amassed a fanbase along the way...
I'm sure there are lots of Tomb Raider fans, but I was under the impression they were not particularly fond of the reboot games.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Vocal people on the internet aren't necessarily a populated demographic

Hot take: sometimes old things are worse. Take nostalgia out of the equation

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I voted for Doom, but is it better than Witcher 3? No idea.
I never really enjoyed Witcher 3, just couldn't get into it, but if we're talking about things like game-changers (which I believe is what people were saying about Doom earlier), let's not forget that Geralt's hair grew and had mad physics.

I might go back and play Witcher 3 mind you, only ever got to the beginning of the second act I think. I will not, however, even consider going back to play Doom.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Lol, Half-Life 2 actually lost to Rise of the Tomb Raider. Not by much, but still.
I have mixed feelings so far. I'd write that I think a younger generation of players is skewing the poll results, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
I've seen a million of these things and it always tended to come down to ZooT or FF7, over and over again.
I'm glad to see a whole new generation getting enthusiastic enough about gaming to vote in these things. These poll results seem like a nice refreshing look at what is working for players today.
On the other hand... it is making me feel very old! Where the heck is Witchaven!?!?
Does that make me a Unicorn? I liked reboot Lara, even if she was different from classic Lara.
Thankfully reboot Lara got it right. A big part of the OG was simply steering her like a tank to go from point A to point B. That should be easy as she is your avatar and is supposed to be very good at this yet, she rag dolls on the simplest looking of jumps. Reboot has cinematic quick action scenes to get through some hair raising moments, but easily makes jumps that would have killed OG. Then the action is about some fantastic puzzles and killing bad guys. An amazing series while, I got several OGs from Humblebundle for like $8 but can't bring myself to get into them even a little.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've seen a million of these things and it always tended to come down to ZooT or FF7, over and over again.
And yet neither have made it to the current round.

Damn whipersnappers.

Does that make me a Unicorn? I liked reboot Lara, even if she was different from classic Lara.
Well, alicorns remember that there's three game versions of Lara, not two. :p

Reactions: gorfias

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
But Witcher fucking beat the ORIGINAL DOOM to get there. Fuck The Witcher.
Doom was only big because it was violent and edgy and made the best out of the technology of its time. While the latter meant that it is innovative and influential with many aspects copied later, it doesn't mean it was a particularly good game. As with many pioneers, it is not actually that fun compared with later genre entries.

I was not impressed then and i am not impressed now.

Witcher 3 is pretty much the opposite. No innovation whatsoever but an extremely refined endpoint of the series expanding on the things that worked, ditching those that didn't and being not shy to copy from contenders. I mean, there is no surprise Witcher 3 made the competition but witcher 1 didn't.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Tomb Raider classic, Nu Tomb Raider, and the Lara Croft series?
Talking about game versions, there's three.

There's the original Lara from the "Original Timeline," covering Lara's adventures from the first game to Angel of Darkness.

There's the second Lara from the "Legend Timeline," beginning with Tomb Raider: Legend, and the most recent entry of which is Temple of Osiris.

There's the third Lara from the "Survivour Timeline," beginning with the 2013 reboot, and so far concluding with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

That's not getting into other continuities.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I still refuse to believe that Tomb Raider has an actual fanbase voting for it.
There are plenty of reboot Tomb Raider fans that exists, like it or not. I never cared much for either version of Lara Croft, and have a preference for Aya Brea.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
And yet neither have made it to the current round.

Damn whipersnappers.

Well, alicorns remember that there's three game versions of Lara, not two. :p
Maybe that was the plan behind these seemingly mismatched matchups, because otherwise if they were pitted within the same genre it would come down to the same old games in the end.