IGN Best Videogame of All Time Bracket

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
San Andreas is beating Modern Warfare, Witcher 3 is beating God of War, GTA5 is beating Arkham City, Breath of the Wild is beating Bloodborne.
Growing up all my friends were obsessed with both San Andreas and Modern Warfare, so that's a pretty good match up. Personally I've never understood the appeal of GTA, sure it was exciting as a kid to run over hookers and kill people with a baseball bat, but as an adult, now my eyes glaze over when I consider playing yet another crime sandbox. Everyone's sick of CoD, but I think Modern Warfare is genuinely great. If someone were to force me to play either game until I finish it, definitely would go with Modern Warfare.

Witcher 3 and God of War... that's hard. God of War is such a high quality and curated experience. Witcher 3 is a lot less focused, but there's just so much more of it that is also high quality. I think God of War is more fun to play, but Witcher 3 was an experience that will stick with me for a long time. I really can't choose.

Arkham City is one of my favorite games of all time, although I am a huge Batman fan so definitely biased. GTA V is just so huge though (both in terms of content and cultural impact) that even I don't give a shit about it, I can't quite put City over it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Growing up all my friends were obsessed with both San Andreas and Modern Warfare, so that's a pretty good match up. Personally I've never understood the appeal of GTA, sure it was exciting as a kid to run over hookers and kill people with a baseball bat, but as an adult, now my eyes glaze over when I consider playing yet another crime sandbox. Everyone's sick of CoD, but I think Modern Warfare is genuinely great. If someone were to force me to play either game until I finish it, definitely would go with Modern Warfare.
I've got a weird relationship with GTA.

GTA 1/2: Meh.

GTA 3: OMG, this is the best thing ever!

Vice City: Pretty fun

San Andreas: Played it for literally a few seconds at a friend's house

GTA 4: Don't care

It seems that GTA 3 was to my youth what San Andreas was to yours, cause it was really big for me and my friends at the time. However, it just doesn't hold much interest for me now. I've never been that into 'crime fiction,' so to speak, and while I get the appeal of a sandbox in GTA (which as far as I can tell, has much more to do than a lot of sandboxes, it's just not my thing anymore.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Round 5 is up
Thanks for these updates

At least it looks like the new GoW will beat out GTA:SA as there is no reason two GTA games should be in the running together. GTAV also should have been way, way behind any of the 3D installments, let alone RDR1 & 2.

Anyways, I can rest easier knowing it’ll probably ultimately go to a more recent Zelda game, even if it still had its own flaws.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: Hawki

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So, should we start betting on who'll end up the illustrious winner? Me, I think GTA5 is going to take it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, I no longer have a horse in this race.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Final round, God of War vs. GTA 5.

Guess I was wrong in my bets. Between these two, I'll go for GTA 5.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Voted God of War because IMO GTAV was probably the most overrated of them all. It had upped quantity at the expense of quality. Probably should’ve never been released on 7th gen consoles either. Then we’d only be seeing two generations of remasters instead of three.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I dunno, if you take nostalgia out of the equation and assume every game came out this year, I could see it.

I don't agree, but I can see the democratic argument.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pac Man
Super Mario Brothers
Doom
Legend of Zelda.

NONE of them had the impact that God of War 2018 had.

I hate this community so much sometimes...
"Best" isn't the same as "most influential."

Take Doom and Legend of Zelda for instance. We can probably agree that they're both influential games, but personal thoughts on the former aside (it's my #3 Doom game), few people would call the original LoZ the best LoZ game.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
"Best" isn't the same as "most influential."

Take Doom and Legend of Zelda for instance. We can probably agree that they're both influential games, but personal thoughts on the former aside (it's my #3 Doom game), few people would call the original LoZ the best LoZ game.
Sorry/Not Sorry, but "Best" to me is the impact a game had at the time it came out and the influence it continued to have.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sorry/Not Sorry, but "Best" to me is the impact a game had at the time it came out and the influence it continued to have.
Ignore their list. Everyone has their own best game of all time. When I last checked, IGN are not the de-fecato definitive answers nor in charge of all things gaming. You can make your own.