IGN Best Videogame of All Time Bracket

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm actually surprised GTA didn't completely destroy God of War. Maybe its the Ragnarok hype, maybe Rockstar did something shitty with GTA online recently.

Sorry/Not Sorry, but "Best" to me is the impact a game had at the time it came out and the influence it continued to have.
Just curious, but why? Using that reasoning, PUBG would be a serious contender for the best videogame of all time. And we all know in our hearts its not even a contender for the best Battle Royale game of all time.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I hate this community so much sometimes...
Love you too. Muah~

Ignore their list. Everyone has their own best game of all time. When I last checked, IGN are not the de-fecato definitive answers nor in charge of all things gaming. You can make your own.
Exactly. If I had it my way I'd put one of my fave games at the top (Even though I know in my heart it would absolutely NOT the best game ever made, that'd be nonsense for me to declare)

Just curious, but why? Using that reasoning, PUBG would be a serious contender for the best videogame of all time.
I'd force myself to eat my controllers if PUBG was made the best game ever made. God of War deserves some praise and reward. PUBG? Pffbt, please.

Pac Man
Super Mario Brothers
Doom
Legend of Zelda.

NONE of them had the impact that God of War 2018 had.
I'm actually gonna round back to this for a second. God of War 2018 was big, sure. It sold a lot of copies, but so do a lot of big AAA games these days. It got rewards and praise, yeah, and it probably deserves a good bit of it.
However, you wanna suggest that God of War 2018... was somehow bigger, more impactful, and more influential to the gaming industry as a whole, breaking new ground in game design and even DEFINING what a video game as a whole could even be, more than some of the most legendary games of years past... Pac Man, Super Mario Brothers, Doom, and The Legend of Zelda? Some of these franchises we see to this day over 30 years later still making big splashes, some even being the literal face of their genres?
Dude, not a chance. God of War 2018 may have been bigger in terms of scope and graphical fidelity, and is absolutely a more technically complex game compared to any of the examples you listed. But I highly doubt that it's gonna go down as something that literally defined gaming history forever. It may have been a damn good game, but I seriously don't foresee it being industry defining, let alone genre defining

Last edited:

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Dude, not a chance. God of War 2018 may have been bigger in terms of scope and graphical fidelity, and is absolutely a more technically complex game compared to any of the examples you listed. But I highly doubt that it's gonna go down as something that literally defined gaming history forever. It may have been a damn good game, but I seriously don't foresee it being industry defining, let alone genre defining
Sarcasm, my man. I forgot to add the /s

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Interesting. GTA 5 was pretty trash. I had to play with some of my friends because they wanted to do the Heist together. Wildlands was significantly better from driving to shooting to dialogue to missions to flying. GTA 5 says stuff and then pretends it funny, rather than just, you know, making jokes. How was it ever this close?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
All this time I was under the impression no one here cared about what IGN has to say about anything. But reading this thread provides a totally opposing perspective.
I don't care about IGN. I just care about some of the other users here I like or respect. I was just trying to calm them down and just tell them to focus on something else/better.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ignore their list. Everyone has their own best game of all time. When I last checked, IGN are not the de-fecato definitive answers nor in charge of all things gaming. You can make your own.
Sorry, but you can't do that. Mods are going to start banning anyone who claims a game is better than God Of War (2018). Those are the rules.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sorry, but you can't do that. Mods are going to start banning anyone who claims a game is better than God Of War (2018). Those are the rules.
You can't spell ignorant without IGN. Which is why I'm glad I never made a user name over there.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean they had some solid games on there, and some games people at the time said were great but no one has replayed in years. Super Mario 3? Seriously? At the time, '88, yeah sure. Since? Its like saying Jason and the Argonauts has some of the best effects of all time. At the time it was made it was groundbreaking. It has since been wildly overtaken.

God of War winning? Eh. Also Red Dead Redemption 1, but not 2? World of Warcraft? Portal 2 vs Sims3? Inside vs Doom? Fable 2?! Half Life Alyx vs Bloodborne?!
I wonder how random the pairings were, because this feels very much like a tournament where the authors had one game they wanted to win, and paired up games in such a way it would get there.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I mean they had some solid games on there, and some games people at the time said were great but no one has replayed in years. Super Mario 3? Seriously? At the time, '88, yeah sure. Since? Its like saying Jason and the Argonauts has some of the best effects of all time. At the time it was made it was groundbreaking. It has since been wildly overtaken.

God of War winning? Eh. Also Red Dead Redemption 1, but not 2? World of Warcraft? Portal 2 vs Sims3? Inside vs Doom? Fable 2?! Half Life Alyx vs Bloodborne?!
I wonder how random the pairings were, because this feels very much like a tournament where the authors had one game they wanted to win, and paired up games in such a way it would get there.
I just played Super Mario Bros. 3 yesterday...

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
And how would you say it compares against Skyrim or Mass Effect, plot, characters, gameplay, story and graphics wise?
I'd rather play SMB3 over Mass Effect any day, and I've certainly come back to the game more times than Skyrim, which I played for about 100 hours at launch and can't bring myself to replay despite trying once with mods a couple of years ago.

SMB3 isn't as good as Super Mario World, but being the second best 2D Mario game isn't a bad achievement. It certainly beats the heck out of the New Super Mario Bros.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd rather play SMB3 over Mass Effect any day, and I've certainly come back to the game more times than Skyrim, which I played for about 100 hours at launch and can't bring myself to replay despite trying once with mods a couple of years ago.
Can't argue with you there, nor would I wan to do so. There are plenty of games from the 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit era that I would play over GTA, Ass. Creed, Saints Row, Red Dead, or Watch Dogs, etc. There are plenty of PS2 and Wii games I've played more than Mass Effect and a lot of other big franchises. Most games from the 16-bit era have more replay value than most AAA titles of today, those from gen 8, and so on.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Winner winner chicken dinner.
Well at least it wasn’t GTAV. That’s gotta count for something considering that GoW 2018 has sold a fraction of a fraction of it.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well at least it wasn’t GTAV. That’s gotta count for something considering the former has sold a fraction of a fraction of the latter.
Part of me, the cynical part, wonders how much Rockstar paid to make sure GTAV is listed in the top 2 games of all time. I mean if I was in PR over at Rockstar and saw this tournament when it first started I'd have been stupid not to call my contacts at IGN and ask what they can do to help me out and earn my gratitude.