Ignorance on Facebook (censored for the well-being of this thread)

NiPah

May 8, 2009

I wonder how that will work out.
I have to admit there is some joy in doing this.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
commodore96 said:
Dango said:
commodore96 said:
Dango said:
commodore96 said:
I guess it is bad for people to make jokes now?
No, making jokes is fine, but comparing the Women's World cup to the mass murder of tens of thousands of innocent people and being a racist fuck is not fine.
To honestly think they are legitimately comparing a women's soccer game to WW2, and not making dark jokes to lighten a loss makes me want to start a thread titled "Blowing things out of Proportion on the Escapist"
If making fun of a country because we decided to go all murder happy on them is a person's idea of dealing with a loss, then I'm just as disappointed.
I mean it was kind of like we were in a war with them, and I would rather have some people make some dark jokes than riot in the street after a loss.
Considering how little America cares about soccer, either option would be equally surprising.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dr Snakeman said:
And that's what I was talking about. Why am I supposed to assume that you weren't serious, but that everyone in that picture was? They were both talking about killing like it was a perfectly reasonable and just thing to do, yet yours is a joke and theirs is "outright hatred".
Quite simple. They were talking about people being only fit for slavery, I was stating an off the cuff remark about how they should be taught not to openly display those views.
I mean, there was some obvious hatred there, but some people were just saying "Well, we blew you up! Nyaaah!". It's so ridiculous that I suspect that it was intended, more often than not, as a really messed-up joke.
Yeah. A messed up joke. Once you view certain people as just to be joked about, there's no harm in that. In fact, broadcasting the "joke" that you hate a race, or a gender or any other group never hurt anyone, did it?

But you quoted me because I targetted Bookface users...

Why is that?

Is it because it upset you? I'll assume so. So what would you do to teach these people that what they said is hurtful and toxic to society?

Or would you just leave them with their "freedom", while others suffer due to it?

The assumption that I wasn't serious could quite easily have been determined by the point that I'm not likely to harm someone who I know is on Bookface. You cannot assume the same about the pictured people and the Japanese, because they said it without aggravation beforehand.

That's what these people want the world to know that they think.

I don't think that suffering a small shock for the suffering they bring to others is an unfair price to pay.
Ummm...

I'm gong to be honest, I've sort of lost track of what we were arguing about. Basically, your original post made it sound like you hated everyone on Facebook, regardless of whether they have "caused suffering" or not. I have a Facebook profile, and I couldn't see why I deserve to be repeatedly electrocuted.

I think our disagreement stems from how we look at this image. You think that every one of the people quoted is a horrible, racist human being, and I favor giving the people who made Hiroshima out to be some kind of victory the benefit of the doubt. Their comments are probably intentionally outrageous; sort of like trolling, but not really. I can see how it would be an attempt at humor, and if these people don't normally say these kinds of things, then it probably would be funny to their friends on Facebook who know them. Out of context, they seem like massively stupid people, but in context, it could just be non-serious screwing around. I know I've said some terrible, terrible things in the name of comedy around friends.

I think only some of them are horrible, racist human beings (the people who used ethnic slurs), and that is the extent of our difference of opinion. I really don't feel like arguing over this, since it would be nitpicking, and I don't care to do that. I'e seen you around the forums before, I assume you're a pretty cool guy, and I assume that you don't actually want to subject every Facebook user to electric shock. I'm really done with this pointless Internet bickering.

If that made any sense, good. If not, then it's probably because that was a very "stream of consciousness" post, just like most of my posts. Either way, I'm really tired of this thread.

DannyHale09

Sep 6, 2009
Why are they getting so worked up? Does -anyone- care about women's soccer? I don't even think women give a shit about it ^^

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
It's times like these that I'm glad I've never been touched by facebook's vile taint. Never had an account for one of those sites, and I never will.

ks1234

Mar 12, 2011
Am I the only one who found this to be funny? I mean its obviously people acting like jackasses just because they can... Everyone is making this so dramatic

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
It's not just a reaction to soccer, it's a reaction to WOMENS soccer... When did people start caring about that?

But seriously, this is no different to how many brits react before taking on the germans in football.
Before- Two world wars and one world cup. Doo Dash Doo Dah
After they lose during penalties- Well we kicked their ass in WWII

I personally don't see the connection to one of the worst things in history to happen to mankind and world war 2.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
Dango said:
Older people don't really, but a lot of teenagers in the US actually do care who are also the ones making these comments. When it comes down to it 99.9% of these comments are probably all kids.

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
Doctor Glocktor said:
What the Hell, America?

You guys reallly hate making friends on the Global Stage, eh?
I'm reading though the thread cause it is slightly entertaining, but this made me stop. How the hell is facebook a "global stage". Seriously guys I get that the Americans that come into your countries are annoying as shit. Trust me I think the rich bastards are annoying too...ohh you think that those people represent the majority of Americans?

I can answer most questions you have about why Americans say what they say. THEY DON'T. This is a SMALL minority of people that say this shit. Small. Most do not think about this shit because they are too busy putting food on the table for their families to think about other stuff. I am so sick of coming onto this board and see all of this ignorance spouted about Americans.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
ks1234 said:
Am I the only one who found this to be funny? I mean its obviously people acting like jackasses just because they can... Everyone is making this so dramatic
Thank you for having a sense of humor

ks1234

Mar 12, 2011
NiPah said:

Its people like you who need to be kicked in the face for trying to fuck with someone job for what they say online... its fucking FB... Its ridiculous that you would do something like that.. What are you? The fucking internet police..? Damn.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I dunno what to say other than facebook is the farm for stupid people, it spreads like a virus and infects everywhere and everything. It's so common I'm not even surprised when this stuff happens. Nothing else to say but I'm ashamed to be in the same species as these people.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
ks1234 said:
NiPah said:

Its people like you who need to be kicked in the face for trying to fuck with someone job for what they say online... its fucking FB... Its ridiculous that you would do something like that.. What are you? The fucking internet police..? Damn.
While the person who said it was a moron, we do not know his financial situation, and making him lose his job that could cause his whole life to collapse is not a viable punishment for one unbelievably heartless comment.