Ignorant fools!

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Hosker said:
I have a friend who, quite often, complains that he is bored. So I did the obvious thing any noble person would do and sent a link to tvtropes. He took one look at it, said something along the lines of "the design is crappy" and never went on it again. He didn't even bother to look up anything...
I envy this man, I currently have 20 tabs open in a different window...

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
AvsJoe said:
Squarez said:
blakfayt said:
the Dept of Science said:
I really don't get anyone that writes off entire genres of music, films or books.

I've yet to see someone do this without showing a massive ignorance of the subject matter.

For example, pretty much everyone on this forum who has hated rap. The reasons that they give are always "I like melody in my music"/"its all just about guns bitches and bling"/"its just crap poetry with swearing in it".
I listened to rap for five years, guess what? It's all of the above, 98% of rap is about banging bitches and spending stupid amounts of money on stupid shit while a generic beat blasts in the background. Also, all music with words is poetry.

I've personally never bumped into someone who is blatantly ignorant about stuff for no apparent reason, but I'm not a really out going person, I tend to not speak to people and only complain when something I feel is really wrong gets said. (IE "God is the best thing ever!" me "pshh, someone's never played an Xbox")
Cough cough irony.

I find it silly when people say things like rap is just guns 'n' bitches. It's like saying all rock is boring cause all you see are the Coldplays, the Nickelbacks and the Trains of the world.

P.S. All gaming is stupid cuz itz just shootin people in tha face ova an ova.
I agree. Video games are all just violent sex simulators with no educational value whatsoever. Anybody who plays video games are mass-murderers and rape-layers just waiting to happen.
And what about them new-style books or whatever they're called. Spreading their anti-religion propaganda and whatnot. THEY SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
we have had OutKast's Stankonia, Dizzee Rascal's Boy in da Corner, Jay Z's the Blueprint, Kanye West's Late Registration and College Dropout, The Roots' Phrenology and Im sure plenty others which I have missed.[/spoiler]
That's how you're defending modern rap and hip-hop? With Kanye West and Dizzee Rascal? You won't convince anyone. Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip and Atmosphere are what I would use in defence, but I guess 'opinions' and all that.

Of course the 'metal is all about killing people and it's all loud and screamy' one is a bit retarded. Sure, there's plenty of metal that's like that, but most of it is shit. All the best metal is perfectly intelligible and not so heavy that it's just sludgy noise.

Sticking in the vein of music, 'ska punk has no meaning or musical value/ is a bastardization of ska' are ones I've heard a lot, and are pretty much balls. For starters, there are plenty of 3rd wave songs that are meaningful, Streetlight Manifesto alone can prove that, although lots of ska is about having fun. And ska uses a lot of odd chords, and most of the basslines and drumbeats are crazy. And as for it being a bastardization? That is, in short, bullshit. Jamaican ska was largely about having fun and living in the ghetto; it was relevent to the people making it. 2nd wave was picked up and made it relevant to white English people, and 3rd wave did the same for American youth. Ska has always been adapted to the people making it, ot unlike other genres. It's just more noticable.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
when im tired or bored, i tend to take first impressions VERY seriously. ive been known to quite literally judge books by their covers

hyperhammy

Jan 4, 2010
Escapists thinking they are high minded geniuses, hating everything mainstream because they think it makes them special. At the same time complaining about how they are hated by everyone and not having a girlfriend. Sad sacks of shit.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
A friend of mine at college has a collection of (I SHIT YOU NOT) nearly a THOUSAND movies. Probably over a thousand by now. He does not let anyone watch them unless he is watching them too. I asked him about it once and he said that they are for HIS enjoyment. I mean I asked him once about borrowing a movie before asking him that which was met with a comment like "People only ask me to borrow movies." Well no shit you have like every GOOD modern movie ever made. He feels like since he can buy all the movies he likes he shouldn't have to lend them out.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Story of me being ignorant:
I used to be quite ignorant of the Harry Potter series. My mother checked out the first book and forced me to read it. I rebelled so much she punished me until I finished the whole thing. Despite the fact it was in the genre I liked and it was constantly recommended to me, I outright refused to read them.

This summer I got to go to Universal Studios in Orlando, and I'm sure most of you know of the recent area made, "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter." Throughout my time there, I became more interested in the story, and by the time I left, I told my family I'd try it out.

Lo and behold, when I went to DR after that, my mother had left the first book at my Grandmother's house. Read it, loved, it, had nothing else to read, so I read through it about three more times. I am currently reading the seventh and last book, Deathly Hallows, and have just watched the first movie. The same happened with the movie "Avatar" and many foods I've tried out.

Story of someone else being ignorant. NOTE this might offend catholics:

I used to go to a catholic school. Whoops, let me correct myself; it was an extremist catholic school. RELIGION MUST DOMINATE YOUR LIFE HERE!!!!11!! PRAYING COMES BEFORE EATING! YOU CAN GO WITHOUT FOOD!!! YOU CANNOT GO WITHOUT PRAYER!!!!

Back on track. I heard a few girls talking bad about Obama, how he isn't fair and everything. What caught my attention was when one said "And he's for abortion." I asked them what it meant, as I didn't know back then. I got "It's when you kill a baby before it's born." I replied I thought it wouldn't be bad as long as it was early; if possible, have the baby, but if it interfered with you life, then I thought it justified. They IMMEDIATELY began telling me "It's still a life" and "what if your mother aborted you?"

Later that day, they brought me the school newspaper. It had a picture of three kids holding signs that said "Abortion is bad." They told me "see? This is proof abortion is bad." I thought, "So I can write on a sign that shitting is another form of birth, and that would be proof?" So these people thought Obama was horrible because he was pro-choice. Just as a note, I am pro-choice myself. They even had a rally at that school while I was there, protesting abortion. If I wasn't surrounded by catholics, I would have facepalmed.

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
Can i just mention. Looking through my thread "is she selfish to want a baby"... i think many teenagers should please look up the effects of the "pill" when it comes to contraception

several seem under the impression that it kills sperm cells or stops the egg fertilising/developing.

actually this is completely wrong. Most of the pills either cause the lining of the uterus to become thicker, stopping the fertilised egg burrowing, where by its lost during the period. Or they stop the ovary releasing an egg at all.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
bahumat42 said:
Squarez said:
blakfayt said:
I really don't get anyone that writes off entire genres of music, films or books.

I've yet to see someone do this without showing a massive ignorance of the subject matter.

For example, pretty much everyone on this forum who has hated rap. The reasons that they give are always "I like melody in my music"/"its all just about guns bitches and bling"/"its just crap poetry with swearing in it".
I listened to rap for five years, guess what? It's all of the above, 98% of rap is about banging bitches and spending stupid amounts of money on stupid shit while a generic beat blasts in the background. Also, all music with words is poetry.

I've personally never bumped into someone who is blatantly ignorant about stuff for no apparent reason, but I'm not a really out going person, I tend to not speak to people and only complain when something I feel is really wrong gets said. (IE "God is the best thing ever!" me "pshh, someone's never played an Xbox")
Cough cough irony.

I find it silly when people say things like rap is just guns 'n' bitches. It's like saying all rock is boring cause all you see are the Coldplays, the Nickelbacks and the Trains of the world.

wait wait wait what
you genuinely consider coldplay to be rock GENUINELY , wowww the term has been diluted in the popular masses recently then.
Obviously not, don't confuse me with a devout and close minded rap fan arguing against a devout and close minded rock/metal fan (i'm assuming he's a fan of that, although he could be a dance nut for all I know). But I was merely pointing out the absurdity of it all.

Rock fanboys hate 'rap' cause all they hear is 'Fiddy' bragging about guns, bitches and his copious amounts of wealth on the radio and rap fanboys hate 'rock' music because all they hear are Coldplay playing the same bland, not-saying-anything-to-me dross on the radio. Lets clear this up, the majority of any genre is bollocks but you can't say that one genre is crap and retarded and that another is better because let's face it, the music you listen to isn't the stuff that appears on the charts every week under the "rock" or "rap" moniker, it's gonna be a bit more obscure than that, same goes for any fan of any genre.

And I say that as someone who has everything from Led Zep, Daft Punk to Outkast on a single playlist*.

Also, please don't patronise me about music classification. It's rather irritating.

*My "Rocking Out" one, if anyone's interested.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
bahumat42 said:
well to be fair, i was in a simmilar position as this guy in secondary school, and regardless of who your friends are or who you are some1 will find a way to ruin your dvds if you lend them out they will get ruined. Now im not saying trust nobody, but due to accident or people outright losing them for whatever reason mistakes happen, and its his money at the end of the day, if you were his best friend then yes its a bit dickish, but if you were just in the same social circle then he may have a leg to stand on.
sorry for the block of text
and im not implying your somebody who would not take care of his stuff, but it happens more than you would think.
He would make it a point to lend movies to a single person when the person asked because he was his partner for some project so that it would keep the person happy. The person still ended up fucking him over in the end and not helping him finish one of his projects when he had helped him finish his.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Bought xenosaga for $5, popped it in, saw the art style, and turned it off.

I then realized my ignorance later week (More like i ran out of new games to play) and decided to give it another chance. Ended up being my second favorite JRPG next to mother 3 (damn you Nintendo, WE NEED AN IMPORT.)

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
we have had OutKast's Stankonia, Dizzee Rascal's Boy in da Corner, Jay Z's the Blueprint, Kanye West's Late Registration and College Dropout, The Roots' Phrenology and Im sure plenty others which I have missed.[/spoiler]
That's how you're defending modern rap and hip-hop? With Kanye West and Dizzee Rascal? You won't convince anyone. Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip and Atmosphere are what I would use in defence, but I guess 'opinions' and all that.
Have you listened to Boy in da Corner by Dizzee Rascal? Its one of the most honest albums that I have ever listened to*. Captured the attitudes and opinions of many British youth in the same way that the Sex Pistols or Blur did before them. Fully deserves the Mercury Prize and 92% on Metacritic.

I've seen both Dizzee Rascal and Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip live, and Dizzee is far superior.
DlSvsSP are the worst sort of self congradulating hipster-hop. Bland counterculturalism. Wholly unimaginative sampling. Nothing that hasn't been done better elsewhere.

*outside of folk perhaps

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Squarez said:
bahumat42 said:
Squarez said:
blakfayt said:

Cough cough irony.

wait wait wait what
you genuinely consider coldplay to be rock GENUINELY , wowww the term has been diluted in the popular masses recently then.
Obviously not, don't confuse me with a devout and close minded rap fan arguing against a devout and close minded rock/metal fan (i'm assuming he's a fan of that, although he could be a dance nut for all I know). But I was merely pointing out the absurdity of it all.

Rock fanboys hate 'rap' cause all they hear is 'Fiddy' bragging about guns, bitches and his copious amounts of wealth on the radio and rap fanboys hate 'rock' music because all they hear are Coldplay playing the same bland, not-saying-anything-to-me dross on the radio. Lets clear this up, the majority of any genre is bollocks but you can't say that one genre is crap and retarded and that another is better because let's face it, the music you listen to isn't the stuff that appears on the charts every week under the "rock" or "rap" moniker, it's gonna be a bit more obscure than that, same goes for any fan of any genre.

And I say that as someone who has everything from Led Zep, Daft Punk to Outkast on a single playlist*.

*My "Rocking Out" one, if anyone's interested.

EDIT: I don't know what happened here. Please Ignore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I really don't get anyone that writes off entire genres or time periods of music, films or books.

First of all, different genres need to be assessed on different criteria. Saying that rap is bad singing and is based around repetative beats is not only wrong, but missing the point. It would be like criticising Mozart for his lack of guitar solos. Good rap is all about flow, complex rhymes, clever word play and storytelling ability. If you think that DJing is easy or boring, then look at this documentary on why you are wrong. Oh yea, and rap groups are increasingly using live bands. These guys currently work as Jimmy Fallon's house band.

Secondly, I realise, that songs primarily concerned with the issues of young, lower class black men are unlikely to strike a chord with those who frequent a videogames forum. I mean that would be like expecting Jay Z to be a big fan of Grizzly Bear. Oh wait. You can enjoy a peice of music regardless of subject matter. I don't see anyone complaining about, say, Nick Cave writing an a whole album of songs about murdering people, Big Black writing an album called "Songs About Fucking" or the Velvet Underground writing songs about taking lots of drugs. But somehow, when its in a rap song, it becomes offensive. I personally find, for example, NWA quite a refreshing change from all the angsty white guy music I listen to.
Oh yea, and I almost feel it goes without saying that nowhere near as much rap as most people claim is about "guns, bitches and bling", at least not the sort of rap that anyone actually into rap listens to. The first rap group that I got into (I'll admit, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, I would been on the side of the majority of this thread) was De La Soul, as their whole aestetic was the complete opposite to what I learned to expect from rap, with a jazz influenced sound and raps about everything from awkward first loves to surreal walks in the park, talking to animals. I sortof started at the left-field and worked my way right.
To summarise, there is a large amount of rap that is not about "guns, bitches and bling" and even if it is, that doesn't mean that its necessarily bad.

Thirdly, Sturgeons Law. Yea, there is a fairly large amount of rap which is shit. On the other hand, there is a large amount of any genre which is shit. Judging rap by 50 Cent is like judging fantasy novels by Stephanie Mayer, they may be popular (although, I don't really know anyone that listens to 50 Cent any more), but don't let them taint the genre as a whole.

Oh, and lastly, can people please stop saying that all good rap was released in the 80s/90s and since then its been crap, especially if you are going to hold up the Sugarhill Gang, MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice as your examples. Have you listened to the fish verse of Rappers Delight? I forgive you for missing it, because its about 6 minutes into that song, but its one of the most baffling things ever committed to tape. Even though they allegedly coined the term "rap", they were by no means the first rap group. They were a largely manufactured group, to wring money out of rising rap scene. MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice released one decent song each, both of rap over barely edited samples of Superfreak and Under Pressure respectively and don't hold a candle to other rappers or groups of that era: Run DMC, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Eric B and Rakim, Beastie Boys, Boogie Down Productions, etc.
There's been plenty of good rap this side of the millenium. 5 of Metacritics Top 15 albums are rap, 10 of the top 50. And that doesn't take into account some worthy underground records that people here have recommended (Sage Francis' Personal Journals, Aesop Rock's Labour Days), but which didn't make it onto the metacritic rankings. While we may not have quite had something as good as say, Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Beastie Boys' Pauls Boutique or De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising, we have had OutKast's Stankonia, Dizzee Rascal's Boy in da Corner, Jay Z's the Blueprint, Kanye West's Late Registration and College Dropout, The Roots' Phrenology and Im sure plenty others which I have missed.
Lousy Mozart. He never shreds!

"I like melody" seems legit. If you don't like rap, you don't like rap. I don't like the style involved in most electronica and techno. It's not even "it all sounds the same" so much as "I'm not really into these elements. If a band screams, I'm less likely to enjoy them, as well. It means I tend to avoid certain genres, like many metal subgenres, because I find the elements unappealing.

But the other ones are kinda...Bad.

I like rap, for the record. Not all rap, probably not even most of it (Sturgeon's Law FTW), but I do find the essentials appealing. I just accept that without that element, there's little for you in rap.