IKEA Manuals Demonstrate How to Build Sci-Fi Staples

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
IKEA Manuals Demonstrate How to Build Sci-Fi Staples

Thanks to IKEA, it's never been easier to build your very own Tardis or DeLorean time machine.

Have you ever wondered exactly what it took to build Jurassic Park [http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Complete-Billie-Piper/dp/B000E41MS6/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1305037096&sr=1-1]? IKEA has broken these objects down to their base ingredients and instruction sets to make building them a breeze.

Well, College Humor actually did it, but the result is basically the same. For those unaware of IKEA, it's a furniture store with ready-to-build furniture and other items mostly given Swedish names like Bjursta and Leksvik. The instruction sets also give these sci-fi objects Swedish nomenclature.

[gallery=237]

The lightsaber is re-named Litsabbur. I'd go over how to build one, but I think everybody in the universe already knows by now. Just as a reminder, if yours comes out red you're doing it wrong.

The Dindasür is a much tougher build. Even completing all of the steps correctly requires the builder to be killed. On the other hand, the hard part about making a Tjardis is the ingredients. You not only need a chameleon integrated with a circuit board, but a wibbly wobbly and an infinite number of those little cylindrical wooden pieces that hold boards together. Now where am I supposed to get an infinite number of those in this dimension?

The easiest build is probably the Djiloriann. Once you've got the plutonium and smashed your head on the bathroom sink, everything just comes together. The instruction set is for the flying version too, not the boring land-only version (yuck).

Try all of these builds at your own risk. Don't come crying to us if you destroy the space-time continuum or get your leg eaten by a Dindasür.

Source: College Humor [http://www.collegehumor.com/article/6500868/sci-fi-ikea-manuals]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I didn't know Ü was a Swedish letter. And I live in Sweden.

Show's what I know

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I found these damn funny, can't decide which one's the funniest, though...
But well done, indeed.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
Cherry Cola said:

Show's what I know
We have ü:s?

I thought only Germans and possibly dutch people had those.

OP: Well.. they were pretty.. humouristic..

Marmalade

Mar 23, 2009
Now I finally now how to make a TARDIS!
Good thing I saved the infinite amount of cylindrical wooden pieces!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I have to go to the nearest IKEA store for a totally unrelated reason.

OT: Funny stuff. Made me chuckle.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
There's nothing wrong with a red lightsaber. Adi Gallia used to use one.

I dont need a lesson on synthetics and corruption of crystals and all that stuff, I know it, just saying

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who saw the title and thought IKEA where selling replica models sci-fi stuff.

*sad face*

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Flat pack TARDIS! My dream has come true!
Now if only they were real...

BeholdMyGlory

Mar 8, 2010
Cherry Cola said:

Show's what I know
Indeed. Also, I have to say that, to me, the names like "litsabbur" and "tjardiis" have more of an Icelandic ring to it than Swedish. Not that I now Icelandic, I probably just insulted the whole Icelandic language. At any rate, they do not look like Swedish names at all.

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
SomeBritishDude said:
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who saw the title and thought IKEA where selling replica models sci-fi stuff.

*sad face*
I did as well but still this was pretty entertaining.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Hooray for bad Swedish and the comedic values of language!
I really wouldnt call that swedish :p Unless you think The chef in the muppets speaks bad swedish ^^