I'm a vegan and I come in peace...

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Well now that the threads been necroed, I may as well point out two frequent sentiments which are so spectacularly stupid that I'm surprised the people who say them don't immediately feel the need to perform Seppuku.

1. That we have to eat meat. If you live in a first world country, you don't need to eat meat. You do it because you like it, and also you're callous and selfish. Do the world a favour and draw the line before disingenuous; stop pretending that eating meat is necessary. I understand if someone doesn't want to change their diet so drastically. For a long time I was the same. Yet I never felt the need to spew misinformation, which is the true crime against nature.

2. That you have anything clever to say. Taunting vegetarians on the internet doesn't make you cool or edgy. Sure, your "I'm a carnivore" and "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals" and "For every animal you don't eat, I'll eat two" comments are very cute, but they also make you look quite the tool. Congratulations, you eat meat like 90% of the western world. It's not hard. I could eat meat too - If I wanted to zero thought into something and nonetheless act as though I'm somehow enlightened. It's amazing how violently people respond to a percieved threat to their way of life, even if it's essentially unjustifiable. Actually, perhaps that's the reason they react so strongly.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just alienated everyone who ever sympathised with me on this forum. I never liked you anyway.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
manic_depressive13 said:
Well now that the threads been necroed, I may as well point out two frequent sentiments which are so spectacularly stupid that I'm surprised the people who say them don't immediately feel the need to perform Seppuku.

1. That we have to eat meat. If you live in a first world country, you don't need to eat meat. You do it because you like it, and also you're callous and selfish. Do the world a favour and draw the line before disingenuous; stop pretending that eating meat is necessary. I understand if someone doesn't want to change their diet so drastically. For a long time I was the same. Yet I never felt the need to spew misinformation, which is the true crime against nature.

2. That you have anything clever to say. Taunting vegetarians on the internet doesn't make you cool or edgy. Sure, your "I'm a carnivore" and "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals" and "For every animal you don't eat, I'll eat two" comments are very cute, but they also make you look quite the tool. Congratulations, you eat meat like 90% of the western world. It's not hard. I could eat meat too - If I wanted to zero thought into something and nonetheless act as though I'm somehow enlightened. It's amazing how violently people respond to a percieved threat to their way of life, even if it's essentially unjustifiable. Actually, perhaps that's the reason they react so strongly.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just alienated everyone who ever sympathised with me on this forum. I never liked you anyway.
I doubt there'd be much taunting of vegans if there weren't so many vegans saying "you have to eat the way I do or you're callous and selfish" Do the world a favor and keep your nose and opinions away from my plate and I'll do the same for yours. I have plenty of vegetarian and vegan friends and we all seem to get along just fine by not pushing our own habits on each other and standing in condemnation of anyone who doesn't feel the same...vegetarianism and veganism becomes close to religion...Its best kept to onesself, rather than telling everyone else they need to feel the same as you if you don't want to sound like an ass.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Dragonclaw said:
I doubt there'd be much taunting of vegans if there weren't so many vegans saying "you have to eat the way I do or you're callous and selfish" Do the world a favor and keep your nose and opinions away from my plate and I'll do the same for yours. I have plenty of vegetarian and vegan friends and we all seem to get along just fine by not pushing our own habits on each other and standing in condemnation of anyone who doesn't feel the same...vegetarianism and veganism becomes close to religion...Its best kept to onesself, rather than telling everyone else they need to feel the same as you if you don't want to sound like an ass.
I would say eating meat is far more akin to religious behaviour because, despite pointing out how the world could be improved without it, people insist on maintaining the tradition, saying "we've always done it, so it must be legit!". On top of that, they feel somehow exempt from responsibility for the harm and suffering they cause by appealing to some higher authority which supposedly justifies their actions (nature placed us at the top of the food chain!) So don't arbitrarily compare my duly considered position to religion when it is you who has accepted the way you were raised without questioning the necessity or logic of it.

Anyway, all my friends eat meat. I don't really see your point. This is a forum for expressing our views. In real life, this topic rarely comes up. It's not as though I run around in my spare time slapping forks out of people's hands. If someone asks me what I think of their eating meat, I'll tell them they're a bit of a ****. I'm not going to sugar coat it or stop myself having opinions in order to avoid offending people's delicate sensibilities. I can acknowledge when someone has the moral high ground. If someone working in Africa thought I were a bit of a **** for buying video games instead of sponsoring a child, I would concede that they are right but explain I am not willing to make sacrifices. I will not start being racist and antagonistic because they criticised my lifestyle. Therein lies the difference between the honest meat eater and the stupid, misinformed meat eater.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot zealous meat eaters also love to ignore science, and claim that one can't live healthily on a vegetarian diet despite repeatedly being shown otherwise. Who's religious now?