I'm all tears now... Things that make us cry.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I just finished a Star Trek TOS binge. But I watched the first two movies. Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan made me cry harder than it has any right to. I'm not sure I can watch Search for Spock now...

So what has an unfair advantage on making you cry?

Edit *cries* I miss Nimoy, damnit!!! Why did you have to die!?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched Ghibli's The Tale of Princess Kaguya a few weeks ago. That was definately a big ol' punch to the tearholes.

People who have seen the movie will know why this happy tune is anything but.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
I still weep like a child during that one Doctor Who scene:

Also really emotional Parent/Children stuff really gets me.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
That scene in The Land Before Time. You all know perfectly well what scene I'm talking about, make no otherwise pretenses.

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010

I mean, I'm not even that into the muppets (due to them not being on TV when I was a kid, growing up in the UK, rather than disliking what I have seen, which has generally been good), but this song is just the epitome of sadness. If a guy singing in a Kermit voice can make you cry, you know this shit is real

AlouetteSK

Sep 4, 2014
There's quite a number of things. Let me rattle some of the things off the top of my head.

Queen Michael said:
That scene in The Land Before Time. You all know perfectly well what scene I'm talking about, make no otherwise pretenses.
Brave Little Toaster, flower scene.

Mr. Rogers

Big Hero 6
Wreck It Ralph
Most Pixar films
Transistor and Bastion

And my still favorite MLP fan song, Lullaby for a Princess by Ponyphonic.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
The first fifteen minutes of A Single Man. Closest any film has ever brought me to tears. Yes, even closer than that scene in Toy Story 3.

EDIT: Since someone mentioned A Boy and His Frog, I'd also like to mention this drawing by Joe Lanzisero and Tim Kirk:

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nothing reliably makes me cry, but one song does reliably put me in that territory.

<youtube=baKA1B5Ymuo>

Dammit Aphex Twin, y u do dis. This isn't even your normal music style!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Light:
A death of a character in a game I love, with you for a chunk of the game, leading the way. You confront this evil bastard and can't do a thing, he strikes her down with some curse/sickness. You find something to break into his place again and 2 of your party members say "we need to get back, NOW" and she's dying. This painfully sad music is playing and she slowly dies and you watch your party crumble to tears everyone hurt by it.

It sucks, it sucks so hard when playing. Only made more difficult when you're forced to fight a illusion of her to test your resolve. That said, never cried to it...it was just heart wrenching. I don't think I've ever cried to any medium ...don't take that as bragging, I've just had some more difficult real life issues maybe..I don't know.

Hard:
Going upstairs, my grandma passed away recently and she's been in our house my entire life. Always lived upstairs, always was there for me and she became ill with cancer, she had surgery to remove a large amount of it but it was too late. A few months of taking care of both my mentally disabled mother (Primary Progressive Asphasia) and my grandma it was the most trying days of my life. Her words of pain echo in my head every day, her apartment upstairs has been stripped slowly over the course of time and that alone cuts into my heart never the less going up there.

Did everything I...we could to help her, to make her comfortable, in less pain. The plan was to get her going with treatments after she recovered, there just wasn't the time for it. I've had to change the ring tone on our phone because the jingle would ring at all times of the day, her calling out for help. Simple pain to finding her fallen over in the bathroom needing cleaning...This was a strong woman mind you, she was 96 years old and she didn't give a shit, she went bowling every week, she went across the country by herself, she went on cruses where she'd walk on God damn glaciers. She was unstoppable as far as I was concerned, only to be stripped of all this in a few months. Dying and helpless.

She meant the world to me and she was taken so fast, so damned fast and I can't even bring myself to talk about her to anyone out loud ...because I know I'll cry, like a fucking baby. Because I miss her, I fucking miss her so much. Even typing these words are hard but I'm desperately trying to distract myself, a Let's Play is on and I'm more listening than I am thinking, but it still hurts, she meant the world to me and she helped me stay sane with all the hell that's gone on with my mom.
Now we're down one and now we're trying to get by, taking care of my mom as she's been progressively dying over the past 10 years. I'm sat awake, on my nightshift watching her sleep on the camera, making sure she's not in pain, having a seizure or anything.

This is something I made, one of those stupid ...expressing your emotions pieces I never got but I made this when we she was dying:

Art is about the only thing I have to keep myself focused and sane, something that she always was happy to see too...she helped me with it, got me an art tablet to expand my craft and keep learning. She was amazing...that's what makes me cry.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
A few things. Am quite emotionally lead, so it isn't difficult alone. Especially if not had daily happy pill.

Most suicides or suicide related things get to me pretty badly. Read this today which tore me up:

http://jezebel.com/13-year-old-girl-dies-by-suicide-after-dad-shares-publi-1708967488

Also the film Seven Pounds with Will Smith in really is effective, though I daren't watch it now. Probably spoke to something deep inside.

This particular song. Music is my passion till I die, passionate music is the crack to my whore, if you know what I mean. Of all the tracks that bring feelings, this one is still the one. Just genre defying sound. Why is sound so powerful? It is only vibration.

If i'm left alone long enough, my mind gives me plenty of material to dehydrate one's face-ducts.

Snotnarok said:
Light:
A death of a character in a game I love, with you for a chunk of the game, leading the way. You confront this evil bastard and can't do a thing, he strikes her down with some curse/sickness. You find something to break into his place again and 2 of your party members say "we need to get back, NOW" and she's dying. This painfully sad music is playing and she slowly dies and you watch your party crumble to tears everyone hurt by it.

It sucks, it sucks so hard when playing. Only made more difficult when you're forced to fight a illusion of her to test your resolve. That said, never cried to it...it was just heart wrenching. I don't think I've ever cried to any medium ...don't take that as bragging, I've just had some more difficult real life issues maybe..I don't know.

Hard:
Going upstairs, my grandma passed away recently and she's been in our house my entire life. Always lived upstairs, always was there for me and she became ill with cancer, she had surgery to remove a large amount of it but it was too late. A few months of taking care of both my mentally disabled mother (Primary Progressive Asphasia) and my grandma it was the most trying days of my life. Her words of pain echo in my head every day, her apartment upstairs has been stripped slowly over the course of time and that alone cuts into my heart never the less going up there.

Did everything I...we could to help her, to make her comfortable, in less pain. The plan was to get her going with treatments after she recovered, there just wasn't the time for it. I've had to change the ring tone on our phone because the jingle would ring at all times of the day, her calling out for help. Simple pain to finding her fallen over in the bathroom needing cleaning...This was a strong woman mind you, she was 96 years old and she didn't give a shit, she went bowling every week, she went across the country by herself, she went on cruses where she'd walk on God damn glaciers. She was unstoppable as far as I was concerned, only to be stripped of all this in a few months. Dying and helpless.

She meant the world to me and she was taken so fast, so damned fast and I can't even bring myself to talk about her to anyone out loud ...because I know I'll cry, like a fucking baby. Because I miss her, I fucking miss her so much. Even typing these words are hard but I'm desperately trying to distract myself, a Let's Play is on and I'm more listening than I am thinking, but it still hurts, she meant the world to me and she helped me stay sane with all the hell that's gone on with my mom.
Now we're down one and now we're trying to get by, taking care of my mom as she's been progressively dying over the past 10 years. I'm sat awake, on my nightshift watching her sleep on the camera, making sure she's not in pain, having a seizure or anything.

This is something I made, one of those stupid ...expressing your emotions pieces I never got but I made this when we she was dying:

Art is about the only thing I have to keep myself focused and sane, something that she always was happy to see too...she helped me with it, got me an art tablet to expand my craft and keep learning. She was amazing...that's what makes me cry.
That's a very heartfelt and touching story. The picture is well done. I hope you still maintain a good strength for this testing existence. The responsibilities you have only make you a better person for them. We learn from the hardest parts of life how to really appreciate the nicer moments. Canyon...mountain...height...something...proverb.
Art is a very understated, productive escape. I use it when I can also. Keep at it, and certainly use the emotion for your inspiration. I wish you a great future! :)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
13e thr33 said:
Erm.. *sniff* thi-this...
<youtube=VbEkKa-W55s>

Stop judging me :(
Holy tear balls! That is literally the scene that got me loving Scrubs for the first time. Will never forget that episode ever.

13e thr33

Apr 22, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Holy tear balls! That is literally the scene that got me loving Scrubs for the first time. Will never forget that episode ever.
It's like their only serious episode and it comes out of no where, plus cox is the emotional rock that finally cracks.

Best episode for sure.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
the film Seven Pounds with Will Smith in really is effective, though I daren't watch it now. Probably spoke to something deep inside.
That film made me weep like a baby. I never quite understood all the criticism it got; I can understand how people might not find it all that great, but if you're willing to suspend a bit of disbelief and just go with it, it's massively effective, I thought.

I cry a lot. Seriously. I have genuinely wondered if I have some sort of emotional instability. But even if I do, I don't care, because I greatly value my ability to feel things deeply. And most of the stuff that makes me cry isn't actually sad; I can get incredibly emotional watching stuff that I simply find to be awesome. Music is probably the key to my emotions, and from that follows stuff like choreography. Some forms of dancing just squeeze my heart, often just because I find them so cool and awe-inspiring.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
The last movie of Murakami had me in tears at minute one.
That damned instrumental music.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Brothers Tale of Two Sons did it for me. It really nailed it when the father cried at the end. My whole life, I've only seen my father cry once, when his father died. When a father, especially a hard traditional father, abandons his social inhibitions and gives in to tears, it's a powerful thing.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
There's this bit in the movie summer wars that involves playing a card game. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. I've seen that movie about five times and that scene never fails to bring me to tears.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I normally get annoyed by people who say "How has nobody mentioned _________ yet?", but:

How has nobody mentioned Jurassic Bark yet? Normally I'd expect to see it in the first 5 responses.

Oh, also "Artaaaxx!" and "They look like good, strong hands" from Neverending Story.

And falling over painfully, I guess.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The episode of Samurai Jack "Jack vs The Lava Monster"

One of the most gut wrenching stories in that series for me personally. The level of triumphant defiance from the main character in that episode (who isn't actually Jack), and the ramifications of his situation when you actually sit an think about it, make me crack every time I watch it. The voice actor and how he delivers the lines, just amazing. And the ending, damn the ending! So awesome!

Seriously, go watch that epsiode. Season 1, episode 10, Jack vs The Lava Monster.

On a more general note, usually stories of people working together to defy some great threat or enemy, or singing together in harmony, thousands of voices echoing into the sky with some song. Pretty much any time you see humanity coming together to do something, it has a very powerful effect on me.

Blaze of Glory style situations also choke me up. Someone who embraces their death, and goes to it willingly, but accomplishes something totally badass/important at the same time. Basically examples of "Punching Cthulhu in the Face" trope, whether the person survives or not. Love those.