Im confused about the new God of War?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's a continuation. That first shot of Kratos stepping out of the shadows shows the scar on his abdomen. So it's the same guy, just older and seemingly set on a quest for redemption.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Redemption? Does that mean Kratos is no longer angry? *gasp*

Though I guess it's only normal even for Kratos to grow mellow in his old age and wanting some peace and quiet as his testosterone begins to drop. :p

mardocOz

The Doc is in...
Oct 22, 2014
Ezekiel said:
They really should have given it a new protagonist. It's the stupidest thing ever, Kratos taking on the Norse gods after he's killed all the Greek ones. I'm so sick of stories going way beyond where they should have ended.
May be better to hold off on the criticism until after the game has launched and we know what the story is?

I understand your point but I feel that, since we know next to nothing about it, it's probably a little early to be judgemental.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
stroopwafel said:
Redemption? Does that mean Kratos is no longer angry? *gasp*

Though I guess it's only normal even for Kratos to grow mellow in his old age and wanting some peace and quiet as his testosterone begins to drop. :p
Which create the next question:
How many years must past for a God to get older?
Btw, I like which at least in the trailer become ...somehow more mature?

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Ezekiel said:
They really should have given it a new protagonist. It's the stupidest thing ever, Kratos taking on the Norse gods after he's killed all the Greek ones. I'm so sick of stories going way beyond where they should have ended.
To be fair, we don't know much about the story, so maybe Kratos don't need to kill all gods in Norse mythology.
Also the concept of Gods only affect only specific places nase of their influence, is glorious!
Now we need to see who is THE GOD OF THE GODS!!!

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
SweetShark said:
Ezekiel said:
To be fair, we don't know much about the story, so maybe Kratos don't need to kill all gods in Norse mythology.
Also the concept of Gods only affect only specific places nase of their influence, is glorious!
So, like Scion?

Though I gotta say, if the ending of God of War III [https://youtu.be/BUw2j45HqlE?t=2m33s] is supposed to be a localized event, I think I just might die of laughter. The water levels have risen to the point where the Balkans are all completely submerged, except for a few mountaintops. Are you telling me if I travel far enough into to the north, there's just gonna be this f***ing vertical wall of ocean rising up over the border between where Zeus' influence ends and Perun's [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perun] begins?

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Mangod said:
SweetShark said:
Ezekiel said:
So, like Scion?

Though I gotta say, if the ending of God of War III [https://youtu.be/BUw2j45HqlE?t=2m33s] is supposed to be a localized event, I think I just might die of laughter. The water levels have risen to the point where the Balkans are all completely submerged, except for a few mountaintops. Are you telling me if I travel far enough into to the north, there's just gonna be this f***ing vertical wall of ocean rising up over the border between where Zeus' influence ends and Perun's [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perun] begins?
I don't know about Scion. I will check it later.
Aboit the water problem it is very easily solvable with the powers the other Norse Gods have, right? Or other Gods from other countries as well.
The other gods will be like:
"For God shake! Can they even control their powers the assholes from Greece? Who is the Main Manager here?"

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I only played the first two God of War games so I'm completely in the dark on the story up to this game anyway.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
mardocOz said:
SweetShark said:
Come on, guys. Be honest, here. You know it's another helping of 'Kratos kills everybody' again. I'm with Ezekiel on this. They should've given the MC spot to Thor, the REAL god of being-very-loud-and-dangerous.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Mangod said:
SweetShark said:
Ezekiel said:
So, like Scion?

Oh, man I'd love to see a whole slice-of-life/comedy sketch on that. Like a fisherman going on with his life, and finding the ocean after a limit starts to rise like an inverse waterfall, and in the distance there's a huge thunderstorm of magic as Olympus is ravaged and he's just like "bloody greeks gonna drive all the fish away".

As far as mythology goes, it's a very interesting idea, don'tcha think?

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
FalloutJack said:
mardocOz said:
SweetShark said:
Come on, guys. Be honest, here. You know it's another helping of 'Kratos kills everybody' again. I'm with Ezekiel on this. They should've given the MC spot to Thor, the REAL god of being-very-loud-and-dangerous.
Maybe Kratos already cut his f*cking head off and took his son. This will be hilarious if something close happen.
We don't even know how he get in this place in the first place.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Mangod said:
SweetShark said:
Ezekiel said:
So, like Scion?

Yeah, Kratos must destroy this car in his new game.
So Scion is a PnP RPG from a second look I took? Are Gods all over the place?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
SweetShark said:
Mangod said:
SweetShark said:
Ezekiel said:
So, like Scion?
So Scion is a PnP RPG from a second look I took? Are Gods all over the place?
Yeah. The CliffsNotes version is that the old religions (Egypt, Greece, Norse, Japanese/Shinto, Aztec, Loa) are all real, and joined forces long ago to defeat the Titans. After sealing the Titans away, they went about their business, spawning new gods and demigods.

The Scions (the player characters) are the products of a union between one of the gods and a mortal, and have been tasked by their parent deities with helping them fight the Titans, who're beginning to slip loose of their shackles. And if your group plays well, they might become Gods in their own right.

It's a pretty cool concept, don't you think?

Scapthat

May 31, 2016
Mangod said:
SweetShark said:
Ezekiel said:
So, like Scion?

Key word here is "myth". We're talking about a series where a giant lava guy is holding up the world on his shoulders and a 1500' rock mama is climbing a mountain to fight a guy who grabs lightning from the sky. Logic doesn't really apply in the first place.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Well in this one they've confirmed that it's a story where Kratos takes his kid on a journey teaching him along the way and you control both characters. With Kratos trying to prevent the rage and mistakes that affected his life from ruining his son's and trying to make his kid a better man than he was.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ezekiel said:
I'm thinking they're going the route of "Kratos will create the Norse pantheon" storyline, given some of the stuff in that gameplay trailer. Odin is the Norse God of War, Thor is his red headed son, who has an affinity for lightning (which the kid demonstrated with his bow), and Odin is a grizzled old dude with a beard, constantly worried about "what is to come next" ie. Ragnarok.

So I don't think (and fervently hope) he's not going around killing the Norse pantheon, but instead will be founding it.

Though ideally, I would hope they would go with the following rough outline:

1. Kratos kicked off Ragnarok with all his "Fuck the World!" shenanigans in GW 3, and now the Norse are dealing with it.
2. Kratos realizes he done goofed, and decides to try and make amends by fighting to stop Ragnarok.
3. Kratos fights alongside the Norse pantheon, to fight Fenrir, Loki, the Frost Giants, etc.

This way we can acknowledge his past idiocies, while giving him a chance to do a Heel/Face turn, and a Redemption Arc to atone. And we also get to have some really epic battles with titan size enemies, and the various gods that fight the Norse in Ragnarok.

Personally, I'll be happy with either "He's Odin" or "He's helping the Norse stop Ragnarok" plotlines. If they again do the "Fuck the World!" plotline with him, I'll skip playing the game entirely.