I'm new to Magic the Gathering

Everin

Apr 15, 2009
As the title reads, I've recently (in the last year or so) been playing Magic the Gathering. However, it wasn't until I went online a week or two ago to look at some rule guidelines for a card that I was part of a huge HUGE community that has pages and pages and pages of conversations on one card's rules or quality among other things. Now, I kind of assumed that MtG would have a large following, being the first (I think) real trading card game and the longest lasting.

Now my question to the Escapist Community, do you play Magic the Gathering (or did or would like to) and what are some good hints/tips/tricks to building/playing a good deck, and what
colour/multi-coloured deck do you play?

In regards to my play style, I play a mono-Red deck geared towards getting as many weak Goblins on the field, mostly with [mtg_card=Krenko, Mob Boss] or [mtg_card=Krenko's Command] and then have a lot of piercing cards like [mtg_card=Searing Spear]. I've read online that Red decks are geared towards lots of piercing damage and therefore thought I'd follow that line.
:)

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I have been playing for a good few years and have started and stopped since I was a young kid. I find I tend to drift towards a blue black player who is heavily control styled.

I have a TON of different styles of control decks too I am well known for building rouge decks (unusual combo's). For example the deck I play that is the most common would be merfolk but even mine is based around making my opponents lands islands so they cannot play anything and then eventually using island walk on all my merfolk to trample my opponent.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Heh, I'm pretty new myself. I gotta say the goblin stuff is pretty darn good. Goblin decks with burn are quick to start slamming health.

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
Started back in '95. Sold everything in '97. Wasn't that much, a schoolkid's allowance doesn't cut it really.

Then, with two friends I bought an old collection in 2000ish, and 3 booster boxes from the (had to look this up, not really into it like I used to) from the Urza's series from 98/99.
Lost that (very expensive) collection for a few years (make that like 10) until I rediscovered them.

Now, It's sitting in my livingroom in a big moving box. Had fun one evening with it, don't think I'll ever get fanatical again. Especially not in the 'trading' part. But nice to play it now and again.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Been off and on since 7th edition (2001).

I run a few decks because I tend to get bored on one type. I have 3 main decks.

A pretty simple zombie blue-black overrun deck I put together during Innistrad.

A black-blue forced discard deck focused around the cards Megrim and Larceny, with everything having fear.

A green-blue deck I've been tweaking since 7th, using elves and search cards for fast mana and early protection in order to pull out big monsters that all have the effect that essentially says "when attacking this cards player can choose to deal damage to opponent as though it weren't blocked", along with boosting and trample cards.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Started playing about two years ago, dropped it when I left college, and just picked it back up again (predictably, the LRR crew was a big influence in my picking it up both times. :p )

My current work-in-progress is a White/blue spirit aggro in modern.

Only advice I'd have for building a deck is that using software or a website to get organized can save you a lot of time and sanity. Gatherer and tappedout.net have been overworking for me lately. :D

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I kinda stopped playing as much as I used to...

That said, most of my friends that played stopped around then and playing against yourself is stupid in its own right.

As for decks, at one point I had at least 13 different decks that played differently from each other, but my all time favorite just got re-incarnated as a welcome back to the game when I found a new group of guys to play with, it's solid red, no creatures and two AEther Flashes (I need to find two more) for en-masse creature control. Also, I play Legacy only, getting back to Standard or Modern would cost too much money for me right now.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I play occasionally - but have been using the new cards recently with friends. I play a mono-black deck with a focus on poison and proliferation, along with the usual replenishing skeles and life-sponging.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Started about maybe 2 years ago during Scars block, although I've only done online stuff. I gravitate towards Black White mostly, although Black Red and Red White are also nice. I like playing aggressive and don't mind having to take sacrifices if necessary, which is why I gravitate immediately towards demon decks. I sometimes like Playing Blue Black if I'm confident in what I'm doing, but yeah for the most part my colors are Kaalia (White Black Red). My general rule for deckbuilding is to take a mechanic or theme and build a deck around it. Take Bloodthirst. As well as just taking creatures with the ability, I look for spells that help to facilitate that, mostly removal and direct damage spells. Or Infect, same rules except I look for cards that also proliferate or increase the number of counters placed on something.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Started a couple of months ago. Built a Blue/Green token deck that acted like an Ikea gun. Then I removed the cards that would summon tokens and now I have a workable deck. Weird how that works.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I did rather a lot back in the day, more recently been playing magic online but now I've kind of got bored with that because I really hate most of the deck archtypes that have sprung up in the current meta and can't stand playing against them.

And at the moment the current Standard is really hard to do anything fun with. It's more a functional set and I don't find them fun.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
TimeLord said:
Started a couple of months ago. Built a Blue/Green token deck that acted like an Ikea gun.
I see what you're referencing there...

OT: I have several decks. One mono-red dragon deck (which has a fair share of goblins), a blue black zombie deck, a blue white spirit control deck, a mono black "discard and summon from graveyard" deck (which gets painfully screwed over by control decks, as I found out) and m favourite, an all-colors sliver deck, which contains my pride and joy... [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=179496&type=card]

And since I'm running a Slivers deck, I can easily get the mana needed very quickly (slivers tap for mana, have haste, are shrouded) and it has an extended loop so I can get pretty much every creature out from my deck in no time at all.

I've calculated the total damage output to be 2492. Without tokens, which would increase the damage by several hundred per token. That's a lot of ouch.

Hyperone

Nov 30, 2009
I play the XBLA games and that is it. I lack the money or drive to create actual decks. The Gen locking of cards, while a phenomenal marketing strategy, makes the core game cost prohibitive for a college student like myself.

The XBLA games are a blast though.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I used to play several years back, but I quit. Just to much of a money-sink for me, plus all of my friends whom I played with turned out to be massive jerks.

I eventually sold them, but I did hang on to my favorite deck. Specifically, my Kaldra deck. I just love that thing:

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Would like to get into it, but too confusing and expensive to bother. Also living in a small town with nobody to play with doesn't help.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Really want to get back into it but... yeah. After what I've gone through I'm a bit skeptic to ever play again.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
The new set is pretty nice, curious to see how it will shift the Standard meta.

Been playing Naya(white red green) Midrange for the last few months but still not sure what to play to now...leaning towards BWG tokens

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Everin said:
do you play Magic the Gathering (or did or would like to)
Did. '99 to '09.
Learned in high school. Read the Rulebook. Entered some Tournaments. Became a Judge. Rage quit after the M2010 noobification rules overhaul.
and what are some good hints/tips/tricks to building/playing a good deck, and what colour/multi-coloured deck do you play?
Consistency; It wins games.
If a card is good, get 4 of it. If you don't have 4, then beg, borrow or steal trade to get 4 copies.

Other than that, it'll depend on what format you want to play and what the meta game currently is.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
My two decks are green/black fat monster deck and a white/blue control deck

played when i was in middle school a little and then took it back up sophmore year in college so maybe been playing three or four years now?