I'm new to Magic the Gathering

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I got into Magic when Kamigawa came out. For money reasons, I fell out of it around Lorwyn. I tried to get back in around Scars of Mirrodin to New Phyrexia, but was only able to get a few packs of cards, though I'm glad I did, because I got quite a few awesome rares and a mythic that I use.

[mtg_card=Urabrask the Hidden]

[mtg_card=Praetor's Grasp]

[mtg_card=Myr Welder]

[mtg_card=Myr Propagator]

[mtg_card=Semblance Anvil]

Those last three really helped more fun and variety to my Myr Artifact deck. The other rares I run in that deck are:

[mtg_card=Broodstar]
[mtg_card=Clearwater Goblet]
[mtg_card=Cloud Key]
[mtg_card=Staff of Domination]

I've come into some money form my recent birthday, so I'm going to be getting back in now, because of Return to Ravnica, seeing as the last Ravnica block was one of my favorite blocks(since I love to run multi-color decks.

I'm probably going to get a Return to Ravnica fat pack for now, and when I get more spending money I will go from there. I've got four different fat packs in the past and they've never done me wrong.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I used to play. Long long ago. My brother picked the game up again recently and asked after all the cards I still have. I had no idea the cards where worth what they are now. I still have most of the old power cards. All the way up to most of a power nine set.

I ended up mailing most of the less useful and less valuable cards to him, but after going through the lot to pick out the valuable ones I am kind of in the mood to pick up playing again.

So why now that I have that itch again do I keep seeing MTG crap all over the place? I am going to place the blame on you guys if I actually do start playing again.

I am too old for this crap.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Sounds like you have some pretty good ideas already. Red goblin decks are annoyingly fast. My current favorite deck is a red-green Stuffy Doll deck. While waiting to get Stuffy Doll out, I play cards that basically clear the field.
Once I get Stuffy Doll, I usually have Chandra by then. I use her -2 to double a high damage spell on Stuffy Doll which usually kills my opponent instantly.
I'm also a really big fan of blue control decks. It's just so much fun to constantly be fucking with your opponent.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Does anyone want to help me out? I bought that Izzet vs Golgari deck and a few packs so I want to improve those 2 and a token deck.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Used to play still do on odd occasions but nothing like I once did. I used to love coming up with decks and tried all types and colours so dont really have a favourite play style or deck as such sometimes I would play one and then another it kept it fresh. I enjoyed coming up with stupid (often impractical) combo decks but my most successful decks win ratio wise were pretty simple usually rushdown decks.

I grew gradually disillusioned after tempest came out I just didnt like the way the story took center stage and how the art grew more formalised and the flavour text just wasnt as good either.

As for deck building tips I would just say build what you want then run it and see what happens then you can tweak it or overhaul it or whatever and although rares are usually the best cards dont get obsessed by them a decks synergy is more important than its individual parts for eg. one of if not my most successfull deck ever was a black rushdown deck which consisted almost entirely of commons the exceptions being 4 uncommon and 4 rare cards. The deck cost me bugger all and would win consistently by the 4th turn of course if it lasted longer than 7 turns you were usually buggered. So I suppose focus and understanding of your strengths and weaknesses and how you build on one and try and negate the other is also important.

If you are going to tourneys a solid knowledge of the rules current cards in cycle as well as current popular deck types is also very helpful. When I did a few tourneys I always made do with whatever cards I had to keep expenditure down but when playing against friends we just used to write the names of cards on pieces of paper and drop them in card sleeves to act as a proxy of that card. That way we could test out new decks for zero cost and indeed play for no extra cost as well.

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
I got into Magic a few years ago thanks to some friends at the college I went to. I didn't really have the cash to spend on cards so most of the stuff I got were gift from my friends. They did kinda enjoy seeing what I came up with and apparently a few of them weren't that bad considering I didn't really know what I was doing. Currently working on a green/red/blue deck for EDH.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Everin said:
In regards to my play style, I play a mono-Red deck geared towards getting as many weak Goblins on the field, mostly with Krenko or Krenko's Command and then have a lot of piercing cards like Shock or Searing Spear. I've read online that Red decks are geared towards lots of piercing damage and therefore thought I'd follow that line.
:)
Red decks can be super fun, I'm glad you enjoy them. If you wish to add cheap cards that keep to the goblin theme, you might want to run cards like [mtg_card=Goblin Grenade] for massive damage, [mtg_card=Brimstone Volley] for more massive damage, and [mtg_card=Fervor] for synergy with Krenko and your tokens. Another fun card that you might want to run (although slightly off theme) would be [mtg_card=Burn at the Stake]. That one's especially good if the ground is clogged up and you want to deal your opponent massive damage with the tokens your [mtg_card=Krenko, Mob Boss] just made. And FYI, [mtg_card=Shock] is not standard right now, if you're playing somewhere other than your kitchen table.

As for myself, I've played Magic for quite some time. I'm a fan of green decks, and am madly in love with [mtg_card=Rancor]. However, right now I'm running a budget[footnote]Yes, I know there's three fifteen dollar cards in here, but those I pulled at prereleases[/footnote] Naya Tokens deck that seems to be doing quite well.

Mai Decklist:

Lands
7x [mtg_card=Plains]
3x [mtg_card=Mountain]
4x [mtg_card=Forest]
4x [mtg_card=Rootbound Crag]
4x [mtg_card=Sunpetal Grove]
1x [mtg_card=Isolated Chapel]
2x [mtg_card=Grove of the Guardian]

Enchantments
4x [mtg_card=Abundant Growth]
4x [mtg_card=Intangible Virtue]
2x [mtg_card=Oblivion Ring]

Instants
3x [mtg_card=Brimstone Volley]
2x [mtg_card=Selesnya Charm]

Creatures/Token Producers
1x [mtg_card=Armada Wurm]
3x [mtg_card=Call of the Conclave]
2x [mtg_card=Doomed Traveler]
3x [mtg_card=Hellrider]
4x [mtg_card=Lingering Souls]
3x [mtg_card=Midnight Haunting]
2x [mtg_card=Thragtusk]
2x [mtg_card=Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage]

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
Currently working on a green/red/blue deck for EDH.
Who is your planned general? Also, I can relate to the "not spending money" vibe. I only spend cash at prereleases, and only because I always seem to manage to pull enough money cards that I both make a tidy profit and still have some nifty rares to play around with.
RaikuFA said:
Does anyone want to help me out? I bought that Izzet vs Golgari deck and a few packs so I want to improve those 2 and a token deck.
What do you want to do with your decks? Also, how much are you willing to spend? I'm mostly a "build on a budget" type fellow, but I need to know what I'm working with.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I started halfway through Avacyn Restored. I currently play a W/G/R mana rampish deck. I get big creatures out and steamroll over my opponants. Control decks likely beat me most of the time though. I got started thanks to Loading Ready Run and their 'Friday Nights' series. I also have a W/G/B lifegain/token/counter deck.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
I used to play when I was younger. As far as I remember, I played a green/white deck that focused on healing myself so much that my opponent simply could not finish me. But the coolest games were definitely the ones we played with more than two players at the same time.

IrradiatedFish

Sep 24, 2010
First picked up some MTG around the time the Onslaught set was launched I think. I was fairly casual and I dabbled with it on and off for a couple years, but then I ended up getting hardcore into it when Zendikar came out. Right before Mirrodin Besieged came out though, I lost my entire several thousand card collection (along with rare binder) in a fire, so that pretty much killed my desire to play the game. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if I got back into it in a few years when I have more time and money.

My favourite colour is... Well, I'm not quite sure. I really like most of them, and they all bring a different flavour to the game. Red is probably my least favourite though, cause I'm not so big on aggressive play.

In terms of colour combinations, I've always liked G/B, G/U, G/W and W/U (probably in that order).

Strategies? Well, I'm the kind of person who likes to come up with the silliest and most gimmicky decks you could imagine. Didn't win me many games, but hilarity usually ensued, especially when I did manage to sneak a win. I always love to find that weird hidden synergy between different cards :).

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
Currently working on a green/red/blue deck for EDH.
Who is your planned general? Also, I can relate to the "not spending money" vibe. I only spend cash at prereleases, and only because I always seem to manage to pull enough money cards that I both make a tidy profit and still have some nifty rares to play around with.
A buddy gave me Intet, the Dreamer since like the only other workable legendary I had is in my elf EDH deck. Now I'm gutting a few of the other decks I have to make it decent. It's going to focus mostly on drawing, burning, and hitting with unblockable creatures and basically creatures that can be annoying to block.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
]A buddy gave me Intet, the Dreamer since like the only other workable legendary I had is in my elf EDH deck. Now I'm gutting a few of the other decks I have to make it decent. It's going to focus mostly on drawing, burning, and hitting with unblockable creatures and basically creatures that can be annoying to block.
Sounds interesting. What sorts of creatures are you planning? And what burn spells are you running that are good enough for EDH?

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
I used to play, but constant updates and no one to play with turned me away.

Although once I have a console with internet access, I think I may pick up the games.

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
]A buddy gave me Intet, the Dreamer since like the only other workable legendary I had is in my elf EDH deck. Now I'm gutting a few of the other decks I have to make it decent. It's going to focus mostly on drawing, burning, and hitting with unblockable creatures and basically creatures that can be annoying to block.
Sounds interesting. What sorts of creatures are you planning? And what burn spells are you running that are good enough for EDH?
I'm using a bunch of creatures from eventide and alara reborn since they can work pretty well together and Deep-sea kraken because i like him. I don't really have much in the way burns, but most i'll most likely just use them to annoy until i get Hostility out and just making a bunch of tokens. Actually looking at what I have to work with, unblockable is just going to be small part and it'll mostly do damage with flying and boosting my guys up with drawing and support cards.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I started playing around 10 years ago (using my dad's collection starting from 1994), stopped a couple years after and then picked it up again 3/4 years back.

I mostly play at my local Legacy FNM and just casual kitchen table games with friends and family.

My main deck right now is Reanimator, and I'm slowly getting the cards for Shelldock Doomsday and Merfolk.

As for favourite colour? I guess my deck choice sorta shows that I'm a UB man at heart. The raw power of black spells with some of the best cards ever printed being blue is always fun.

Tips? Well, a couple big ones that newbies always forget is to play all your spells as late as possible in a turn. [mtg_card=Entomb]ing at the the end of your opponents turn is usually better than at the beginning of yours.

Zen Toombs said:
Yes, I know there's three fifteen dollar cards in here, but those I pulled at prereleases
I love it when people playing standard complain about $15 cards.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=14451

http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=13119

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
I started playing, but the only person I have to play against is my brother. I doubt I'm going to get too into it though. I tend to lean towards a red-green deck. I'm playing with the Elementals Path deck at the moment, because I suck at making my own.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I judge at my store's FNM, played on and off (Originally started in first Mirrodin, quit at Ravnica because of cost, rejoined at Zendikar and played since). I don't like the price creep of standard, so I play Modern, one deck in Vintage, and TONS of EDH.

Modern decks:
Spellweaver Helix OTK
Molten Psyche Burn Combo
Heartbeat of the Storm (Heartbeat of the Spring/Eye of the Storm combo)

Legacy deck:
Pyromancer's Ascention Combo

Vintage deck:
Hulk Flash OTK

EDH Decks:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teysa-edh-12-08-12-1/
My pride and joy, my Teysa EDH with my custom art (professional painter) Liliana of the Veil.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karador-edh-12-08-12-1/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/merieke-edh-16-08-12-1/
Interesting. And here I thought there was no love for EDH on the Escapist.

I also have a Teysa "Cannon fodder" deck, but my white weenies are mostly generated by blinking/ replaying creatures that have ETB token generation triggers.

From a technical standpoint, I'm curious though. Isn't 33 land a bit on the short side, also considering the fact that several of them enter the battlefield tapped? Moreover, there is virtually no way for you to get land, unless you draw into them or use tutors. Must be somewhat challenging, playing against decks containing green.