I'm starting to question why anyone lives in California

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I have relatives in Toronto, Canada/ Once when I visited them, we went off to this other town in Ontario (Kingston?), a few hours by road. The whole journey was the same: flat land, with nothing but seemingly identical conifer trees, the odd farm, and occasional billboards.

That would drive me insane. I'm used to a country where 30 miles travel in any direction would usually see you in totally different terrain.
Yea, it bothers me tremendously after travelling and coming back to North East Texas and everything being so flat. I mean the cool thing is, the world looks bigger because you can see so far. I like when I sit on my parents garage roof and it makes you feel so small because of how far you can see for miles just open land, ponds, animals and tree lines all the way to the horizon. That still isn't enough to make me want to stay in this state though. I want mountains and paradise too. I can see far on the horizon when overlooking the ocean and sitting on a mountain top as well, and that has much better scenery. XD

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Going to Silver Dollar City with my family in my youth was also always fun, me and my sister used to collect the pennies you could get rolled flat there every time we went
Due to you mentioning this, I was trying to remember where I put my splat pennies ( everything is still in boxes here) but it also reminded me I was planning on trying to make something out of them like an end table top like this or something when I get enough of them:
1599648847095.jpeg

But with Splat pennies instead..

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
under similar conditions that led to it?
Not entirely so. They changed their approach after Bhopal and instead of keeping a massive underground storage tank of the stuff and running the production process occasionally to keep the tank stocked nowadays they run the process basically full time and make it more or less as needed for use. Which means an MIC leak in Institute wouldn't be as bad as Bhopal, because there's less MIC available to leak. It would still kill a lot of people, but the amount of it released wouldn't be nearly as large, and nearly everyone knows the procedure if there's a serious leak. So likely something like casualties in the low 4 figures rather than the high 5 figures like Bhopal.

There's nothing interesting.
If you aren't traveling all the way to PA it's also got Amish country, we usually go to the Sugar Creek, OH area if we're after Amish goods for whatever reason as it's more convenient than going to PA. Unless the halfway market in Milton, WV has what we need.

That being said, West Virginia is gorgeous.
So long as you like mountains, forests, and mountains covered in forests then yes, yes it is.

Reactions: tstorm823

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So likely something like casualties in the low 4 figures rather than the high 5 figures like Bhopal.
I feel this should be an advertising campaign: "Bayer: keeping casualties in the low 4 figures since 1984"

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I feel this should be an advertising campaign: "Bayer: keeping casualties in the low 4 figures since 1984"
I think "the final solution to workplace safety" would be more fitting.

Either way, Union Carbide owned and operated the Bhopal plant, not Bayer. So, the party responsible for Bhopal was "at least" one of the manufacturers of American chemical weapons, not Nazi chemical weapons.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
I have relatives in Toronto, Canada/ Once when I visited them, we went off to this other town in Ontario (Kingston?), a few hours by road. The whole journey was the same: flat land, with nothing but seemingly identical conifer trees, the odd farm, and occasional billboards.

That would drive me insane. I'm used to a country where 30 miles travel in any direction would usually see you in totally different terrain.
It's like the song says: we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks and water. Albeit that picture is from a fire lookout in a national park, but it's pretty dead-on representative.

026.JPG

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
California's not so bad...
Like we only have Earthquakes, Fires and other very minor problems I swear it doesn't suck at all.
I have lived in the Méxican side of California, many places within it actually, my current location is unknown though wooooooo!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Due to you mentioning this, I was trying to remember where I put my splat pennies ( everything is still in boxes here) but it also reminded me I was planning on trying to make something out of them like an end table top like this or something when I get enough of them:
View attachment 813

But with Splat pennies instead..
I made this one a few years ago purely out of boredom. It's not even like I had the pennies lying around; went to the bank and ASKED for $5.00 in pennies
1599678137019.png

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I made this one a few years ago purely out of boredom. It's not even like I had the pennies lying around; went to the bank and ASKED for $5.00 in pennies
View attachment 819
I love it! I originally wanted to make a desk out of pennies and bullet proof glass once but then went with another idea on the desk instead, I am actually in the process of wood burning a desk with viking and celtic type art on it atm as a gift but ugh is taking forever to get it finished because I have to work in small sections and have to have it well ventilated while working due to my breathing issues and burning wood with a soldering iron kinda aggravates that.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Yeah, Tijuana gets like that on the beach area, I used to have a shit-ton of pictures about it since I was a wannabee-photographer when I lived there but unfortunately I lost most of them in a fire, I'll look around to see if I still have some laying around but it's unlikely.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I love it! I originally wanted to make a desk out of pennies and bullet proof glass once but then went with another idea on the desk instead, I am actually in the process of wood burning a desk with viking and celtic type art on it atm as a gift but ugh is taking forever to get it finished because I have to work in small sections and have to have it well ventilated while working due to my breathing issues and burning wood with a soldering iron kinda aggravates that.
Lol, don't talk to me about taking forever; that penny table took me weeks to finish. I had a day job, so could only work on it on weekends. I was staying in a one-bedroom apartment, so had zero space; ended up doing a lot of the sanding and spray painting on my patio which was about the size of a couch. I had to use the neighboring rec center's baseball bleachers as a "workbench" (ever tried to carve a ring out of wood using a hacksaw?) I made a half dozen trips to Home Depot buying tools and supplies I didn't have... which was everything. I think I probably ended up putting about $150 into it. It was fun as I like working with my hands, but when I was done, it was like "... well, now what?" Now it serves as an impromptu dinner tray for a 16-year-old brat.

Reactions: lil devils x

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Apparently the skies in San Fransisco looked like this today

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Lol, don't talk to me about taking forever; that penny table took me weeks to finish. I had a day job, so could only work on it on weekends. I was staying in a one-bedroom apartment, so had zero space; ended up doing a lot of the sanding and spray painting on my patio which was about the size of a couch. I had to use the neighboring rec center's baseball bleachers as a "workbench" (ever tried to carve a ring out of wood using a hacksaw?) I made a half dozen trips to Home Depot buying tools and supplies I didn't have... which was everything. I think I probably ended up putting about $150 into it. It was fun as I like working with my hands, but when I was done, it was like "... well, now what?" Now it serves as an impromptu dinner tray for a 16-year-old brat.
You don't have a jig saw or scroll saw?! :O

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You don't have a jig saw or scroll saw?! :O
[Then] single guy, one-bedroom apartment that was just about big enough to hold my body (<900 sq. ft.) No, I didn't have room for a toolbox let alone larger tools like a jigsaw. But the limitations became part of the fun, improvising and trying to stay within a reasonable budget; I didn't want to spend hundreds on a table that's only big enough for a dinner plate.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
[Then] single guy, one-bedroom apartment that was just about big enough to hold my body (<900 sq. ft.) No, I didn't have room for a toolbox let alone larger tools like a jigsaw. But the limitations became part of the fun, improvising and trying to stay within a reasonable budget; I didn't want to spend hundreds on a table that's only big enough for a dinner plate.
LOL! See now at one time I had my power tools before I even had a bed and was taking my sofa cushions and putting them on the floor to sleep on them. For a long while I would make new designs for my apartment , build most of the stuff in it, get bored with that and want to change it and sell everything. Then start over again and do it again and again..

Jigsaw isn't big, the scroll saw is though ( think you had those backwards, Scroll saw is essentially like a mounted jigsaw blade.) I used to stack up books and put the wood on them to cut it with my jig saw, or circular saw or roto and just hold it with my knee. I was lucky that my grandpa was a master carpenter and I was pretty much a master carpenter due to what I learned from him by the time I was int he 8th grade so it is sort of my lifeblood. I helped build my parents home and farm and they still have my foosball table I made in 8th grade on display at the school. The shelves I built for shop class are still the ones they use in there to hold all the tools and wood. I couldn't go without my Jig saw though. I am sure my neighbors love it when I can't sleep at night and bust out the power tools though XD