I'm the Last of My Line

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Just had a realization today; I'm the last of my line. Either through death, marriage or just only having daughters, in my family my last name will die with me. I hold a power only wielded by super villains, bored low-level bureaucrats and contract-making cats; the power to terminate a family name and line completely.

But do I use this power for good, or for evil? The question remains.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It's obvious what you must do...

Blackmail the parents!

"Hey parents, I sure could use a brand new car. The one I have is only a 4.5 out of 5 on the safety scale and it would be a shame if something were to happen to me that could have been prevented with that extra half star..."

"Hey parents, I sure could use a brand new TV. I mean, this little one works I guess but I have to get so close that it'll probably give me cancer from....TV radiation"

"Hey parents, I sure could use a trip to Europe. Who knows, maybe the lucky future Mrs. Fury will be there and we can make your beautiful grandchildren to carry on your name..."

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
You don't have any cousins at all? A family tree doesn't come to an end when a single branch does.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
You should launch a bloody crusade against... whoever I don't know, but do it, and immortalize your families name in the annals of history.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Keep the megalomania on the down-low, or your daughters might convince your prospective sons-in-law to take your name.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
But do I use this power for good, or for evil? The question remains.
For evil, obviously.

OT:
I ditched my family name in favor of old norse naming convention when my children were born.
But then I had a rather bland last name anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
I'm actually in a similar situation, at least as far as the "name" goes, traditionally.

My father had a brother and two sisters. And his brother had a daughter. And my only sibling is female. Frankly, going by the tradition of "woman takes the husband's last name" I'm the only one who has any chance of continuing on my family's name. And considering I've been forever alone, the chances of that may not be that high...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
In a similar situation (only have a sister, all my cousins are either born to aunties or are women).

You should use your powers for evil, especially if you have a relatively uncommon name. End your family tree with a destructive final third of your life, giving no frigs for potential children.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
On a related matter; I'm the First Born of my entire generation (as in no older cousins either). Destined to rule our House and lead our family to glory!

We should both become Game of Thrones-esque characters, totally.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
On a related matter; I'm the First Born of my entire generation (as in no older cousins either). Destined to rule our House and lead our family to glory!
I'm the first born on my dad's side, and the last of my name.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
DizzyChuggernaut said:
You don't have any cousins at all? A family tree doesn't come to an end when a single branch does.
Assuming traditional naming conventions, if your father's siblings are all female (like mine are) then a name can come down to 1 person. I'm in a similar boat to the OP where to find another person to carry on the family name other then myself you have to go back to my great-grandparent's siblings as a minimum because my Paternal Grandfather's siblings were either female or childless.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'm also the last of my line as far as I'm aware. I've always had a small family, so it's probably the case unless I have an unknown cousin floating out there.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good thing I got a large families then? My mum has five brothers and a sister (she's the oldest) so I have five uncles whose also have kids (most of them) therefore I have several cousins.

Granted if one of us (my bro) were to carry on the name, it is most likely to be my bro due to his current relationship (won't suprised me if he get engaged in the future) and me being forever alone.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Strictly speaking, I think my line is already dead. My father was adopted, and I don't think he had any natural cousins. I have a name shared by other people(though the closest male relation of my generation with the name is a 2nd cousin, and I think he's also adopted), but I don't share blood with them. Even if being adopted counted, my only child is a daughter, and I have no plans to have any more. My sister has... eight? kids I think, but none of them have the name.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
You should just be a ***** about it and take her name when the time comes xD
I guess to answer your question, that would mean the evil route :p

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Ehh I've got a sister so even if I do all of those things I think we're covered as a family.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
That's the same with my and my brother, we are the last to hold our specific last name (though I always preferred my mothers maiden name).
The funny thing is we are likely the only people in the world with such a last name, it was a conflict of English and Indian marriage customs that spawned it resulting in a the hyphenated 20 letter monster it is.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
You probably aren't the last. You're just the last that you know about. Unless your family has stayed perfectly connected ever since the name originated, then there's a good chance that someone else shares your name but you just don't know about them because of the separation that was created among different branches of the family tree over the years.

At least in my case, I've had people try to friend me on Facebook that had my last name but I didn't know (I have a reasonably popular first name, so they probably thought I was someone else). Some of them weren't even in the same country as me. So, at least from my experience, unless you can somehow confirm you really are the last person in the world who can carry on your name, might want to just stick with the good option rather than go evil and then regret it when you find someone who nullified your plans.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
If you have girls, you can still make sure to keep the name going by having them marry a guy with the same last name as your line. That's what they did in the beginning of the novel To Live by Yu Hua.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But women can keep their last name now, with marriage. Can't they? I didn't just dream that, surely.

Nevertheless, every sperm is sacred...lock them away for future cloning sessions. You can release (teehee) your future selves in the ...errm, future. What was once on the brink of destruction shall now bring destruction down upon all! Mahahaha! Ok, yeah you get the point.