I'm thinking on getting PS Vita. Any Recommendations?

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
I was watching Super Best Friends' LP on Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls, and I thought the game looked interesting enough to get a Vita (or preferably a Vita TV). With that said, I need some recommendation for some games on the Vita.

Before I forget, I do need to mention that for games with a large amount of voice acting, I strongly prefer them to have an English voice over option. It should also be mentioned that I have a 20GB model PS3 (with a 1TB hard-drive).

EDIT: Also, I tend to enjoy platformers, RPGs (especially JRPGs), action games, and puzzle games.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Well, obviously you can get the other two previously Danganronpa games. Also you can buy the sequel of Zero Escape. A third game will come soon as well.
But I digress, because myself want to buy a PSVita, but it doesn't have many games to make me to buy them.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I second Danganronpa, I haven't played Goodbye Despair but Trigger Happy Havoc is really good. I couldn't put it down.

There's also:

Persona 4 Golden
Killzone Mercenary
Tearaway
Minecraft
Wipeout 2048
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
EDF 2017 Portable
Ys Memories of Celceta
Muramasa Rebirth

Plus absolutely loads more JRPGs etc. There's also quite a bit of pandering moe bullshit :p

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Personally, I don't recommend the Vita, but that's just me.
I was gonna say something snarky just like this, but honestly I refuse to put more work into it than Sony did making the Vita.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Silentpony said:
FalloutJack said:
Personally, I don't recommend the Vita, but that's just me.
I was gonna say something snarky just like this, but honestly I refuse to put more work into it than Sony did making the Vita.
I believe you have achieved higher snark than me without trying. However, because this is not X-Box, you will not get an Achievement.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
The Vita has good games but most of them are fairly niche, expect to pay up the butt for memory cards that can't be used on anything else, subpar battery life and a lot of downloadable ps1 and psp titles.
You can actually get every Final fantasy game from 1 to X-2 on the Vita as well as the first four Disgaea games. I tend to use the Vita as a psp go plus and I hold no illusions about the lack of support for Vita games in the west.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Since you did not mention anything about your tastes, I'll just list every Vita game I liked (PSP and PSOne games excluded):

- Persona 4 Golden. A MUST BUY. This is the game I bought Vita for. Even if you did play the PS2 original I'd urge you to buy it. If you don't know what's it about, here is a quick summary: It is a turn based JRPG with dating sim elements about a high-school student who moved to another city and at the same time in this city a serial killer appeared. Soon, you discover that things are a tad bit more complicated than that. Now you have to travel to "TV universe", but also manage your ordinary life (which is interesting thanks to social link system).
It deals with rather complicated things such as not being accepted, being alone in this world, homosexuality and so on and on. A masterpiece of a JRPG. Playing previous games is in no way required to enjoy and understand this one.

- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. a Visual Novel/ Puzzle room game about 9 people kidnapped and frced to play a game. Can't say more because of spoilers. If you like interesting stories about science, time travel, scientific paradoxes and just complicated ones AND complicated but not ridiculous puzzles, then dive in. Also it is worth mentioning that it is a sequel to a game called 999, which was released on 3DS and while (just like with P4G) playing previous game is not required, but is recommended (at the very least in form of watching a LP). Also, sequel is to be released soon.

- Danganronpa 1 and 2. Well, since you are interested in UDG, playing those 2 is only logical. The basic gist of both games is that a group of students are locked into a place and soon they have to investigate murders. You liking characters depends on how well you can stomach japanese tropes (gothic lolita, sexy sportsy dumb bimbo, protag that always speaks of hope and friendship, etc.). The overall story is pretty meh, bad the cases themselves are really interesting.

- Gucamelee!. Basically, a really fun metroidvania where you play a mystical Luchador. Great gameplay, great art, great music, challenging and oh so nice to actually play.

- Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden and Freedom Wars. Those three are Monster Hunter analogues. The first one is dark fantasy with rather nice and fitting story and ending, the second one is set in mystical Japan, the third one is set in dystopian future.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
It's only worth getting one if you're primarily into uncommon Japanese games. I don't believe there's been a good western exclusive for Vita since Uncharted: Golden Abyss (which can't even be played on the Vita TV version of it).

If niche Japanese games sounds good, then it has quite a few good ones. I'd vouch for the three Danganronpa games, Virtue's Last Reward, Muramasa: Rebirth, and Steins;Gate (the latter is available on PS3 as well). Looking forward to Corpse Party: Blood Drive as well.

Considering that, with a decently sized memory card, even a Vita TV could cost half a PS4, I for one would prioritize getting a PS4 before a Vita TV, though. More value for money, in that there's no certainty in regard to how long new games will continue to be released for Vita.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
I really want to get a Vita for the Danganronpa games but those games are the only reason I want a Vita.
Given the relative lack of games for the Vita I suggest doing what I'm doing and looking at Craigslist or Amazon used and save yourself some money.
I was going to buy a Vita and play the Danganronpa games and then resell it but the Vita has very little resale value considering the weak library. Also, considering the weak exclusives, my guess is that a used Vita is still pretty close to new.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
Mister K said:
Since you did not mention anything about your tastes, I'll just list every Vita game I liked (PSP and PSOne games excluded):

- Persona 4 Golden. A MUST BUY. This is the game I bought Vita for. Even if you did play the PS2 original I'd urge you to buy it. If you don't know what's it about, here is a quick summary: It is a turn based JRPG with dating sim elements about a high-school student who moved to another city and at the same time in this city a serial killer appeared. Soon, you discover that things are a tad bit more complicated than that. Now you have to travel to "TV universe", but also manage your ordinary life (which is interesting thanks to social link system).
It deals with rather complicated things such as not being accepted, being alone in this world, homosexuality and so on and on. A masterpiece of a JRPG. Playing previous games is in no way required to enjoy and understand this one.

- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. a Visual Novel/ Puzzle room game about 9 people kidnapped and frced to play a game. Can't say more because of spoilers. If you like interesting stories about science, time travel, scientific paradoxes and just complicated ones AND complicated but not ridiculous puzzles, then dive in. Also it is worth mentioning that it is a sequel to a game called 999, which was released on 3DS and while (just like with P4G) playing previous game is not required, but is recommended (at the very least in form of watching a LP). Also, sequel is to be released soon.

- Danganronpa 1 and 2. Well, since you are interested in UDG, playing those 2 is only logical. The basic gist of both games is that a group of students are locked into a place and soon they have to investigate murders. You liking characters depends on how well you can stomach japanese tropes (gothic lolita, sexy sportsy dumb bimbo, protag that always speaks of hope and friendship, etc.). The overall story is pretty meh, bad the cases themselves are really interesting.

- Gucamelee!. Basically, a really fun metroidvania where you play a mystical Luchador. Great gameplay, great art, great music, challenging and oh so nice to actually play.

- Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden and Freedom Wars. Those three are Monster Hunter analogues. The first one is dark fantasy with rather nice and fitting story and ending, the second one is set in mystical Japan, the third one is set in dystopian future.
Zero Escape does sound interesting, Persona 4 Golden is an obvious must by for me, and I totally forgot about Soul Sacrifice. I would love to try out Freedom Wars, but sadly it doesn't have a dub.

Sorry about not mentioning my tastes in my first post. I'll get around that shortly.

Thank you and everyone else for chiming on some recommendations.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The other nice thing about Vita is any of the PS1 era games and PSP games bought from the PSN work perfectly on Vita. I do recommend though doing your best to find deals on the memory cards for Vita because they fill up quick and it sucks rightly enough to only have one or two of them (I've got two 8 gigs and two 4 gigs).

Also the Metal Gear HD collection is pretty good if you don't already have it and so is the FFX collection.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
SOUL SACRIFICE DELTA (GET IT GET IT GET IT)

Also in my opinion, Metal Gear Solid 3 is best played on PS Vita. The touch screen scrolling on lower left and lower right works really well for me to consider it the best version.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I wold suggest the Disgaea series. It's a pretty entertaining SRPG that's pretty easy to get into and features the most over the top and awesome special moves you'll ever see.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
coates32 said:
Mister K said:

Zero Escape does sound interesting, Persona 4 Golden is an obvious must by for me, and I totally forgot about Soul Sacrifice. I would love to try out Freedom Wars, but sadly it doesn't have a dub.

Sorry about not mentioning my tastes in my first post. I'll get around that shortly.

Thank you and everyone else for chiming on some recommendations.
Can I try to dissuade you from Freedom Wars? I found nothing compelling about the story, the world, and the gameplay.

But I've seen one person on internet go "omg, I can customize the character to look like that girl from Attack on Titan? I'm sooo getting this game".

So if you're a fan of Attack on Titan, there may be something for you there..

layne

Jun 14, 2013
You can buy the original Persona game off PSN for Vita. I'm planning on getting a Vita too and that will be my first purchase. Other than that, I think most of the good games have already been mentioned.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
- Persona 4 Golden
- Persona 3 Portable
- Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
- Disgaea 4
- Dragon's Crown
- Gravity Rush
- Akibas Trip
- Neptunia Series

And...some stuff that's coming out soon? Disgaea 5, SK:EV, and P5 come to mind.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Persona 3&4 are must buys. They're pretty much the best JRPG's on the system. I think there might be some older Persona/ Megami Tensei games on the store as well.
Some of the older FF games are on the store. The only one I'd pay for is FFIX because it's just the best, but you can choose your favorite.
Danganronpa 1&2 are great murder mystery VN's in a similar style to Phoenix Wright but a bit darker and about school kids. There's also a new one (Ultra Despair Girls) that came out recently but I've not gotten around to it yet.
Freedom Wars is... not that great. I'd say you're better off with Soul Sacrifice if all you want is a decent MH clone.
There's also a buttload of indie games on the store and some other ports, such as Binding of Isaac, spelunky, Luftrausers, even TWD if you're one of the few people (like me) who hasn't played it yet.

While it's true that there aren't many games developed for the Vita itself it does have access to a huge library of PSX and PSP titles, so don't let anyone tell you it hasn't got any games.

OhNoYouDidnt

Oct 22, 2013
LostGryphon said:
And...some stuff that's coming out soon? Disgaea 5, SK:EV, and P5 come to mind.
Just wanted to correct this... Disgaea 5 and Persona 5 aren't coming to the Vita. Disgaea 5 is PS4-only, Persona 5 will have a PS3 and a PS4 version. SK:EV (I'm assuming this means Senran Kagura: Estival Versus?) will have a Vita version, however.