I'm totally going to play this again... someday.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Skyrim. One day. It'll be done.

One day.

Umm.

That day will not be today.

I did accidentally complete it on an old friend's save.

But they passed it to me right before the last mission.

It must have flicked a subconscious "completed ending" switch.

Cause for years I assumed I'd done the whole game.

When reality it was just the intro and the end.

So there it sits.

Done, but not really done.

A literally hollow achievement.

A husk haunted by failures.

Uncomfortable metaphors for life.

I will remedy this.

One day.

But not today.

(Unless they release 60fps patch)

(Then maybe tomorrow?)

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think the grimrock have really low replay value, once you know where the secret are there's not that much more interesting stuff in the game.

For AC7, yeah the story isn't very good but I still find it better than 6 so I'm not complaining too much. I wish they'd port 4,5,0 to PC though, can't access my PS2 atm so I can't replay those. Oh and I wouldn't say no to a full translation of 3, want me some of those future plane.
Well, I both don't remember the location of most of them and I never got into the labyrinth in the first game.

Well there are certain story tropes that just bug the hell out of me and 7 had too many of those.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think the grimrock have really low replay value, once you know where the secret are there's not that much more interesting stuff in the game.

For AC7, yeah the story isn't very good but I still find it better than 6 so I'm not complaining too much. I wish they'd port 4,5,0 to PC though, can't access my PS2 atm so I can't replay those. Oh and I wouldn't say no to a full translation of 3, want me some of those future plane.
I've heard 3 is pretty interesting but apparently the Japanese version is far better then the English one due to the cutscenes.

Never played 6. Don't plan to(XBOX exclusive) but for all the shade people(justifiably) throw at AC7's story, AC6's feels worse(at least going by the cutscenes. It does not help the main lady character sounds like she's always on valium). And I also wouldn't mind a PC port of the PS2 games, but we've been getting a lot of PC ports of older games over the past few years so maybe with AC7 being successful they'll do a port or remaster of the PS2 games(and I'll gladly buy them again).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The traffic checks (didn't know that's what they were called,) the removal of the spectacular explosions and just a general lack of cohesion in a nonsensical, open-world racing game made Paradise the franchise killer for me. They tried to do too much by changing too much; it's like they had no idea why the franchise was successful, and just threw a bunch of stuff at the wall and ran with whatever stuck without ever nodding towards why fans were fans in the first place.

Burnout was essentially an elaborate puzzle game, learning specific courses until you mastered each. Going open-world in Paradise changed literally everything. I became a fan of Yahztee because of his review of Paradise; he nailed everything that made the game so awful and such a slight in the eyes of fans. How can I focus on racing when I'm watching the mini-map and not the road?? I never got as far as 15% in Paradise because I was so disappointed in it whereas I'm sitting at about 98% in Revenge since the late 2000's; I've got ONE race I can't manage to 3-star and I'm too far removed to try and finish the game off, but I had a blast getting that far.

I remember that review. I was already 40% in the game when his review came out. I already know I understood his points, and I agreed with him to an extent, but my response was "Meh, I still like it." The minimap thing, I admit I did a similar thing, but a little over halfway in I barely had to look at it. I did miss crash mode being it's own thing. I still do. With that said, paradise I still find better than most of the racing games from 7th and 8th gen (though there are a lot of smaller budget racing games, that look more fun) . Mainly from EA's later output and Ubisoft. Minus me doing a multiplayer constantly, I pretty much did 98% of the content and got all the licenses back on my 360 copy. I'd wish for the next burnout to be more similar to three and revenge, but it didn't happen. The closest we got to a Burnout sequel was basically Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012). HP 2010 I liked, but didn't fill the void and Most wanted I stayed away from on principle alone.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Doom Eternal. People tell me it gets good like 7 hours in when you finally have all the bells and whistles to get through the combats without getting killed 20 times. Some day I'll go back and continue it. But I had such a poor, boring, frustrating time playing it, it will be sometime.

I wish I could put some of my favorite horror games like the Amnesia games, or Silent Hill 3 or Little Nightmares, but I believe horror games can only be played once, and after that its lost its appeal and the experience is gone.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I remember that review. I was already 40% in the game when his review came out. I already know I understood his points, and I agreed with him to an extent, but my response was "Meh, I still like it." The minimap thing, I admit I did a similar thing, but a little over halfway in I barely had to look at it. I did miss crash mode being it's own thing. I still do. With that said, paradise I still find better than most of the racing games from 7th and 8th gen (though there are a lot of smaller budget racing games, that look more fun) . Mainly from EA's later output and Ubisoft. Minus me doing a multiplayer constantly, I pretty much did 98% of the content and got all the licenses back on my 360 copy. I'd wish for the next burnout to be more similar to three and revenge, but it didn't happen. The closest we got to a Burnout sequel was basically Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012). HP 2010 I liked, but didn't fill the void and Most wanted I stayed away from on principle alone.
I actively avoided races in Paradise simply because the fact that I had to rely on the mini-map. After that, I was left with about 30% of game to appreciate, and even THAT was bare-bones compared to previous installments. I refuse to try and squeeze enjoyment out of a game if it's gone out of its way to withhold it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've heard 3 is pretty interesting but apparently the Japanese version is far better then the English one due to the cutscenes.

Never played 6. Don't plan to(XBOX exclusive) but for all the shade people(justifiably) throw at AC7's story, AC6's feels worse(at least going by the cutscenes. It does not help the main lady character sounds like she's always on valium). And I also wouldn't mind a PC port of the PS2 games, but we've been getting a lot of PC ports of older games over the past few years so maybe with AC7 being successful they'll do a port or remaster of the PS2 games(and I'll gladly buy them again).
3 has multiple branching storyline, but the NA version only has one of them and the translation is lousy, there's a fan translation of it that you can play with emulator, but its annoying having to read text while dog figthing. It's pretty cool cause its future plane, so if you like the super weapon aspect of the franchise it works great, there's even one level in space.

6 story is focus on a say at home mom and group of kids stuck in a castle, the idea is good (focus on civilian in a war) but the execution is mediocre and it feel like the story is completely seperated from what you do during the mission.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Doom Eternal. People tell me it gets good like 7 hours in when you finally have all the bells and whistles to get through the combats without getting killed 20 times. Some day I'll go back and continue it. But I had such a poor, boring, frustrating time playing it, it will be sometime.
I started getting into it like level 3 myself, before then I was really unsure and not using to actually using the chainsaw and not saving it for big guys. Once I got a few more toys I really got into it, but to each their own.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I started getting into it like level 3 myself, before then I was really unsure and not using to actually using the chainsaw and not saving it for big guys. Once I got a few more toys I really got into it, but to each their own.
I watched the Civie 11 video on it and he said the game is really frustrating and annoying early on because the level layout and enemy AI and game mechanics are kinda built around having the full arsenals like the grenade launcher, cryo bombs, flamer, super shotgun, etc...and that the early levels can really turn players off because you're struggling through encounters not knowing you're handicapped by not having certain equipment yet.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I watched the Civie 11 video on it and he said the game is really frustrating and annoying early on because the level layout and enemy AI and game mechanics are kinda built around having the full arsenals like the grenade launcher, cryo bombs, flamer, super shotgun, etc...and that the early levels can really turn players off because you're struggling through encounters not knowing you're handicapped by not having certain equipment yet.
I think its mainly because you have to play it in a way that is different from all FPS games. It doesn't help its the sequel to a well known franchise and you have to unlearn some of the things the previous game which plays similar taught you to do. I have a feeling its harder to get into for those that were really into Doom 2016 to get into then people who weren't into it.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I think its mainly because you have to play it in a way that is different from all FPS games. It doesn't help its the sequel to a well known franchise and you have to unlearn some of the things the previous game which plays similar taught you to do. I have a feeling its harder to get into for those that were really into Doom 2016 to get into then people who weren't into it.
See and I was super into Doom 2016. I have some 30+hrs on it and its one of the few games I went for 100% achievements. To me the level designer was tighter and more interesting instead of just one large arena linked to another, the gameplay felt tighter, and I'm just gonna say it Doom Eternal is goofy as fuck. It feels like its taking tips from Mario with its platforming, spinning fire traps and hallways with fireballs that don't hurt enemies, and the demons look like something from Diablo 3, and they make cartoonish popping noises when you glory kill them.
If Doom 2016 is the metaphorical Batman Begins in that its a gritty reboot down well of a popular franchise, Doom Eternal felt like the Teen Titan's Go parody of Batman Begins; basically the same, but clearly more cartoony and self away.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
See and I was super into Doom 2016. I have some 30+hrs on it and its one of the few games I went for 100% achievements. To me the level designer was tighter and more interesting instead of just one large arena linked to another, the gameplay felt tighter, and I'm just gonna say it Doom Eternal is goofy as fuck. It feels like its taking tips from Mario with its platforming, spinning fire traps and hallways with fireballs that don't hurt enemies, and the demons look like something from Diablo 3, and they make cartoonish popping noises when you glory kill them.
If Doom 2016 is the metaphorical Batman Begins in that its a gritty reboot down well of a popular franchise, Doom Eternal felt like the Teen Titan's Go parody of Batman Begins; basically the same, but clearly more cartoony and self away.
I generally agree, I really don't like how the levels and items feel very videogame. In Doom 2016 they did the trying to make it feel like a real environment, in Eternal everything flows but it flows an an exceedingly video game way. Fortunately for me, I really really like the combat.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I actively avoided races in Paradise simply because the fact that I had to rely on the mini-map. After that, I was left with about 30% of game to appreciate, and even THAT was bare-bones compared to previous installments. I refuse to try and squeeze enjoyment out of a game if it's gone out of its way to withhold it.
No problem; your choice. I admit that I never got the DLC back on 360, so it was the first time I ever played with the motorcycles. That was the other reason I got the 8th generation ports.

Reactions: gorfias

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I was playing Shadow of Mordor and loving it, then a major life change happened, and I never ever got back to it. I keep meaning to go back and play through it considering how much I was enjoying it at the time but its hard to do so with those memories attached.

Sekiro didn't involve a major upheaval, just getting busy, but I haven't gotten around to that either.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I was playing Shadow of Mordor and loving it, then a major life change happened, and I never ever got back to it. I keep meaning to go back and play through it considering how much I was enjoying it at the time but its hard to do so with those memories attached.

Sekiro didn't involve a major upheaval, just getting busy, but I haven't gotten around to that either.
SoM got a big update too that allowed you go get all the achievements without needing to be online, as well as a rebalance of the game systems to account for the removal of the loot box shop.

Reactions: EvilRoy

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Personally I don't think W3 is very good either. I didn't play 1/2, because when I tried them long ago, they had terrible mechanics, a cliche protagonist, and ridiculous amounts of gratuitous fan service like it was written by a 16 horny teen. So going into W3, I had zero context for pretty much anything going on, other than "oh, this is yet another incredibly hot mage woman that Growly McGrowlface apparently fucked back in a previous game, and is prowling around looking for more mutant D. I'm sensing a pattern here." Story was lame and forgettable, the missions all boiled down to "hey! you dirty fucking witcher scum!! help us and I'll reluctantly pay you! but I'll also scorn you for accepting pay! Now get out of here, you fucking MUTANT SCUMMMMM!"

I dunno, frankly don't see why everyone pops their respective gender boners for this series. It left like zero impression on me, other than the direct correlation between how sexually rendered, and scantily clad a female was, and how much significance she had to the current quest.
Some years back I lost my job(only to get it back not long after but that's another tale) so I decided I was going to start the Witcher series in preparation for 3. Can't remember if 3 was out or was coming out.

I absolutely could not get into Witcher 1, I found it god awful and didn't make it past an hour of it.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Some years back I lost my job(only to get it back not long after but that's another tale) so I decided I was going to start the Witcher series in preparation for 3. Can't remember if 3 was out or was coming out.

I absolutely could not get into Witcher 1, I found it god awful and didn't make it past an hour of it.
Yeah I was not at all impressed with any level of Witcher 1. Growly, grumpy amnesia hero, *yawn*, terrible combat mechanics, pass, voice acting that was fairly lame, cliche plot. Just, nothing. I didn't even finish the combat tutorial before I totally lost interest and never played it again.

W3 is ok I guess. Nothing really unique about it, compared to other massive sandboxers. Town after town of civvies, who all have quests for you, and who all treat you like you are worse than a child predator, all because you do a job. Nothing to really write home about, I forgot pretty much all the content of the game within an hour of uninstalling it when I beat it.

And the funny thing is, that, people say "don't play the first 2", and I agree, but you really do miss out on a lot of context of stuff if you don't play them. And I know this, because I lost count of the number of plots of quests, that assumed I knew who the fuck the people were, and what our history was. I just gave up trying to really grok what the various factions were doing, and why, and just gauged my reactions on who was more/less of an asshole fuckwad in any given conversation, and I'd usually side with them. "You're response was reasonably logical and civil, and you didn't insult my existence, I'll back you, against Dickwad Von Douchebaggensgard of Shitsvaleflaffen."

About the only "fun" i had, was acting entirely against witcher creed, and helping people, because honestly the money was fucking pointless. I had piles of it, and tons of gear that I had no need for, as it was all trash. So I basically just started to gauge if I'd charge someone for a contract, on if they treated me like a decent human. If given the option to do it for free, I would, if no option was given, I'd never haggle and just take the starting, offered price. If they were a "Fucking Mutie Witcher Freak!" kind of person, I'd fleece them for every coin I could.

Eh, I could rant for a while about all the bits in that game that annoyed me, but this isn't the thread for that.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

I would suggest replaying Shadow of Mordor, and eventually S of War too. They are very fun Orc Dating Simulators, or as I like to call them, Homicidal Helicopter Dad: the Video Game. I really didn't give a shit about the plot, it was the orcs that made that game wonderful. Just this silly, insane, wacky group of dudes that you get to manage and try and encourage in their careers....by slaughtering everyone that stands in their way!! Just too much fun.

Reactions: EvilRoy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I would suggest replaying Shadow of Mordor, and eventually S of War too. They are very fun Orc Dating Simulators, or as I like to call them, Homicidal Helicopter Dad: the Video Game. I really didn't give a shit about the plot, it was the orcs that made that game wonderful. Just this silly, insane, wacky group of dudes that you get to manage and try and encourage in their careers....by slaughtering everyone that stands in their way!! Just too much fun.
I wish they made a DLC or another game where the game was all about the orc, fuck the main character (can't even remember his name) instead you'd play as an orc and when you'd die you'd respawn as another one of the orc you already owned, with every ability and debuff of the orc affecting your gameplay.

The genesis sysetm was so cool, I can't believe no other games tried to do something like that.

Reactions: happyninja42

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I've been a big proponent of skipping W1 unless you ABSOLUTELY have to play every game in a series in order to feel like you're not missing anything. The Story is probably the best part, but everything else is mediocre or worse and honestly, finding a good summary is far preferable to actually trying to slog through it.

W2 redeemed the first game somewhat and sets up the beginning of 3. I also liked the branching paths the game took after chapter 1 so there's incentive to replay chapter 2 and 3 from the other path(there's actually a decent number of plot points split between them. For example, the Dragon is just a boss in path but gets a bit more story presence in the other.

Though W3 effectively doesn't care about W1 at all and most of your decisions from W2 end up not mattering much.

As for my list.....

Sunless Sea-I want to reach some kind of conclusion...and damn I think I picked a bad one by grabbing the goal of writing a masterpiece, which is really hard and complex and I kinda want to pick a different character or something to get a new one. It's been a few years since I played it.

Hyper Light Drifter-FInished 2 of the 3 first bosses, couldn't beat the cat samurai boss, haven't gone back to it recently. Keep thinking I either need to really learn his attacks OR go off and find all the missing bits so I can fully upgrade first(I found a lot of them but still have a few upgrades to go yet).

Octopath Traveler-Finished everyone's chapter 1's, got somewhat into the chapter 2's and then stopped. Being a long game is another reason It's hard to jump back in because I know I've got at least another 20 or so hours to go to finish it.

Demons Souls-Never got very far. That damn bridge in 1-2 stopped me(never got to the tower knight), plus my controller kept swapping my weapons without me wanting to for reasons I don't understand. Stopped playing and keep saying I'm going to someday. I could wait to play the remake but I'd need to get a PS5 first and it's not worth it JUST to play the remake yet(and of course, have to wait till the supply outpaces the damn scalpers, which will likely take a while because apparently stores don't bat an eye when someone orders 100 PS5's at once). I've beaten Dark Souls 1-3, BB and Sekiro but DeS is the one I keep pushing off because I want to play "the good ones" first, so maybe that's a sign I wasn't really digging it to begin with. I realize a lot of people really like Demons Souls, but I didn't get far enough for it to click for me like the other FROM games did.

Horizon Zero Dawn-Need to finish the Frozen Wilds DLC. Got up there after finishing the main game, beat the first new robot with a lot of effort, got to the village and stopped. And haven't gone back to it since. I've heard the DLC is good, I think I was ready to move on by that point, combined with the difficulty spike, made me put it aside.

I occasionally have the urge to replay Final Fantasy III/IV/V/VI/VII and IX. Then I remember the grindy and the 40+ hours and go....maybe later. And maybe try playing VIII, finally, but everytime I hear people talk about the damn Junction/GF/Triple Triad system my eyes glaze over and I decide "eh, maybe not".

Someday I'm gonna replay the Balders Gate Enhanced Edition(I played the original like 20 years ago) so I can play BG2. I thought it was gonna be this year so I can play BG3 but since BG3 might not end up being so hot....I can wait.

I keep telling myself someday I will actually finish Dragon Age: Origins. Like further then the Mage Tower, which is as far as I got. I will use a damn guide, learn how to build a good viable team and go through the damn thing so I can judge if the praise it gets is warranted. And also so I stop getting those "What's wrong with you look?" from friends when I keep telling them I've tried to get through the game a couple times now and never been able to push myself past like the halfway point...maybe, because for whatever reason it doesn't really click with me or I hit a difficulty spike that kills the vibe.

Last edited: