I'm totally going to play this again... someday.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Fallout 4. I ununstalled it a couple of years ago in one of those "I am spending far too much time playing games" moments and due to the glacial load times every time you go through a bloody door.
My main barrier to playing again is getting all the mods I had reinstalled and working, which would probablytake about as long as completing the main questline.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I wish they made a DLC or another game where the game was all about the orc, fuck the main character (can't even remember his name) instead you'd play as an orc and when you'd die you'd respawn as another one of the orc you already owned, with every ability and debuff of the orc affecting your gameplay.

The genesis sysetm was so cool, I can't believe no other games tried to do something like that.
Yeah, honestly I'd be happy with the same setup, just remove the LOTR skin. I think that more than anything hampered the game, as they kept shoehorning in references to a book series that I don't fucking care about, and has ZERO impact on this game I'm playing. But the Nemesis system, in some other game setting? Oh I'd love it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hyper Light Drifter-FInished 2 of the 3 first bosses, couldn't beat the cat samurai boss, haven't gone back to it recently. Keep thinking I either need to really learn his attacks OR go off and find all the missing bits so I can fully upgrade first(I found a lot of them but still have a few upgrades to go yet).
Oh man, talk about a game I was hyped for and ended up just not getting into. I love the aesthetic but... something about it just did not grab me at all. Plus I think I picked it up during a holiday sale so it was easy to distract me with things I found more interesting.

Horizon Zero Dawn-Need to finish the Frozen Wilds DLC. Got up there after finishing the main game, beat the first new robot with a lot of effort, got to the village and stopped. And haven't gone back to it since. I've heard the DLC is good, I think I was ready to move on by that point, combined with the difficulty spike, made me put it aside.
My friends love this game but I ended up just kinda finding it bland. I think knowing the horrible secret from space about it since my friends couldn't help but tell me and I really didn't think it would come to pc kinda hurt my enjoyment of the story.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Octopath Traveler-Finished everyone's chapter 1's, got somewhat into the chapter 2's and then stopped. Being a long game is another reason It's hard to jump back in because I know I've got at least another 20 or so hours to go to finish it.

I occasionally have the urge to replay Final Fantasy III/IV/V/VI/VII and IX. Then I remember the grindy and the 40+ hours and go....maybe later. And maybe try playing VIII, finally, but everytime I hear people talk about the damn Junction/GF/Triple Triad system my eyes glaze over and I decide "eh, maybe not".
8path, mehhhh honestly the game doesn't really improve pass the first few chapters, if anything it gets a bit worse. Stories are generic and never really merge so that doesn't do anything and gameplay wise its hard to enjoy because you're almost always either horribly over or under level so the balance is complete crap.

I don't think the FF are grindy (unless you count killing enemy as you play grind). As a kid who couldn't read english, I finish FF9 with my part in the mid 20 cause I didn't realize how the exp system worked and ran from every fight. 8 is interesting, but the magic/junction system really suck (spoony as a video giving a good idea of what it's like)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
All the Yakuza games.

I bought the entire series on PS4 (up to that point) just on the strength of the first 5 or so hours of Yakuza 0. Then I got to the realestate mechanic, got really annoyed and somewhat intimidated by the whole concept and the tutorial, and stopped playing.

So now I'm stuck with 7 seemingly awesome games that I find kinda hard to break myself into.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
All the Yakuza games.

I bought the entire series on PS4 (up to that point) just on the strength of the first 5 or so hours of Yakuza 0. Then I got to the realestate mechanic, got really annoyed and somewhat intimidated by the whole concept and the tutorial, and stopped playing.

So now I'm stuck with 7 seemingly awesome games that I find kinda hard to break myself into.
It's just optional content that can be skipped. Yakuza is filled to the brim with mini games. Imo it's impossible to like all of them. The story and humorous side missions is where it's at.

8path, mehhhh honestly the game doesn't really improve pass the first few chapters, if anything it gets a bit worse. Stories are generic and never really merge so that doesn't do anything and gameplay wise its hard to enjoy because you're almost always either horribly over or under level so the balance is complete crap.

I don't think the FF are grindy (unless you count killing enemy as you play grind). As a kid who couldn't read english, I finish FF9 with my part in the mid 20 cause I didn't realize how the exp system worked and ran from every fight. 8 is interesting, but the magic/junction system really suck (spoony as a video giving a good idea of what it's like)
I remember spoony that guy was so funny back in the day. His ultima series is stuff of legend. I think he literally lost his sanity with that one. Whatever happened did he just stop making videos?

never mind probably don't wanna know. xD

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The traffic checks (didn't know that's what they were called,) the removal of the spectacular explosions and just a general lack of cohesion in a nonsensical, open-world racing game made Paradise the franchise killer for me. They tried to do too much by changing too much; it's like they had no idea why the franchise was successful, and just threw a bunch of stuff at the wall and ran with whatever stuck without ever nodding towards why fans were fans in the first place.

Burnout was essentially an elaborate puzzle game, learning specific courses until you mastered each. Going open-world in Paradise changed literally everything. I became a fan of Yahztee because of his review of Paradise; he nailed everything that made the game so awful and such a slight in the eyes of fans. How can I focus on racing when I'm watching the mini-map and not the road?? I never got as far as 15% in Paradise because I was so disappointed in it whereas I'm sitting at about 98% in Revenge since the late 2000's; I've got ONE race I can't manage to 3-star and I'm too far removed to try and finish the game off, but I had a blast getting that far.

Revenge or even Takedown aren’t available on current consoles. Maybe Steam but I personally never cared to play racing games on PC.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I remember spoony that guy was so funny back in the day. His ultima series is stuff of legend. I think he literally lost his sanity with that one. Whatever happened did he just stop making videos?

never mind probably don't wanna know. xD
Yeah pretty much, once Patreon got big he set one up and got a shiton of money. The highest tier goal he had was for him to make a movie and once he hit he tried (maybe) to make it happen which suck out all of his time so he didn't do regular video anymore, pretty much would only do either wresting commentary or pretty lazy lets play of game. So his viewer crashed which made him go nuts and the rest gets really ugly from there.

Reactions: stroopwafel

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

FF9(and FF10) were the last ones I played, about 5 years back, and those weren't bad. I do remember some of the earlier ones felt horrible, with a lot of walking back and forth just to gain levels sometimes. Games like FF1-5, in particular.

I can do without ever playing 1 and 2 again(especially 2) but I kinda have a soft spot for 3 and 5.

As for 8, I was reminded of it watching this.

Plague might be talking out of his ass but I've heard similar things from numerous others. The fact he tries to describe how the system works and despite actually knowing all the words hes using, the words flow together in a sentence and after a while I have no fucking clue how the damn system works tells me something went wrong somewhere during the design process...or it just sounds overcomplicated.

Like seriously, what's this about playing cards to level up again?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Oh man, talk about a game I was hyped for and ended up just not getting into. I love the aesthetic but... something about it just did not grab me at all. Plus I think I picked it up during a holiday sale so it was easy to distract me with things I found more interesting.

My friends love this game but I ended up just kinda finding it bland. I think knowing the horrible secret from space about it since my friends couldn't help but tell me and I really didn't think it would come to pc kinda hurt my enjoyment of the story.
Same for both of these.

For Horizon especially, after the opening of the game (the massacre) the story seems to just grind to a halt and I just couldn't care enough to keep playing,

Shooting the bow and killing the smaller machines like the watchers and the deer-things feels great. The critical spots are easy enough to see and do enough damage that it feels really rewarding. On the bigger machines the bow just felt really underwhelming. I also really didn't like the control scheme and that I couldn't remap the controls to let me slide, aim and shoot at the same time without taking my thumbs off the sticks.

Everyone keeps talking about how great this game is and how it's one of the best Playstation exclusives and I just can't bring myself to care enough to keep playing.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
FF9(and FF10) were the last ones I played, about 5 years back, and those weren't bad. I do remember some of the earlier ones felt horrible, with a lot of walking back and forth just to gain levels sometimes. Games like FF1-5, in particular.

I can do without ever playing 1 and 2 again(especially 2) but I kinda have a soft spot for 3 and 5.

Plague might be talking out of his ass but I've heard similar things from numerous others. The fact he tries to describe how the system works and despite actually knowing all the words hes using, the words flow together in a sentence and after a while I have no fucking clue how the damn system works tells me something went wrong somewhere during the design process...or it just sounds overcomplicated.

FF8 system isn't very complex, it's just really boring. You can slot magic (think of them more as item than magic) into stats to boost them, different magic will boost different stats by different amount and which stats you can boost depend on what summon (GF) you have attached to your character. The main way to gain magic is by drawing them from enemy (which takes forever), but you can also obtain them in a variety of way, the rarest magic (which give the biggest stats boost) need to be obtained by converting item, including playing card. Getting the rarest card is an absolute nightmare since it's very RNG reliant and involved a massive side quest that's not very interesting. But that only matter for the last 10% of the game, for most of it you just slowly draw magic out of enemy (so whenever you encounter an enemy with new magic you spend 15 minute just using the same fight command over and over again). Long story short, it's a tedious shallow system that prevent you from using magic (since it would decrease your stats), hence making the game less interesting. FF8 also as a pretty aggresive enemy leveling system, so if you don't keep up to date with your magic, enemy will kick your ass.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Pretty much any 100+ hour RPG.

I love these games, and I would love to spend more time playing them, but a 100+ hour game to me now, as a working adult, is weeks, if not months, dedicated to the same game, and I just don't think that I have the time or patience for that anymore.

Im sure I will give The Witcher 3 another shot when the next-gen upgrade comes out, and I would love to replay the whole Dragon Age franchise again (I restarted Origins a few months back, but stopped), but who knows if I will actually manage to get around to either, anytime soon.

Also World of Warcraft.

Why? That was the franchise killer. Burnout Revenge is the much better installment to replay.
Revenge is the better game, but Paradise is not as bad as people make it out to be.
People think Burnout Paradise is bad? I have heard literally nothing but great things about it since the game came out, and I have personally really enjoyed my time with it.

Admittedly, i've never played any of the other games in the franchise, but equally, i've barely heard anyone ever speak about the other Burnout games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pretty much any 100+ hour RPG.

I love these games, and I would love to spend more time playing them, but a 100+ hour game to me now, as a working adult, is weeks, if not months, dedicated to the same game, and I just don't think that I have the time or patience for that anymore.

Im sure I will give The Witcher 3 another shot when the next-gen upgrade comes out, and I would love to replay the whole Dragon Age franchise again (I restarted Origins a few months back, but stopped), but who knows if I will actually manage to get around to either, anytime soon.

Also World of Warcraft.

People think Burnout Paradise is bad? I have heard literally nothing but great things about it since the game came out, and I have personally really enjoyed my time with it.

Admittedly, i've never played any of the other games in the franchise, but equally, i've barely heard anyone ever speak about the other Burnout games.
The people that hate Burnout Paradise are a vocal minority. With that said, I noticed that when Max and the crew from YoVideoGames made their distaste known whenever they did videos on Burnout games. Mainly 3 or Revenge. When that happened, a little more people started coming out of the woodwork claiming similar statements or the same thing. The original Burnout is just an average arcade racer. I rarely ever played 2, but it was okay. Burnout 3 is when the series really got started. The worst Burnout game ever is the one on the Nintendo DS. Do not play it. The PSP game is pretty good though.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I could see Paradise being inoffensive as a standalone game, but BELIEVE me, as the last installment of a well-known and loved franchise, it fails HARD. Everything prior to it is a much more focused and all-around genuine, unique and enjoyable experience. Typical, routed courses at high speeds and high impact allow you to focus on the racing, and the explosions (in Revenge) make the ensuing carnage much more gratifying. Paradise is, at best, a very neutered and bland version of a few things that make the franchise enjoyable. It's probably a big ask, but if you can find it, I highly recommend getting your hands on Burnout Revenge (almost uniformly agreed to be the acme of the franchise) to appreciate just how much Paradise got so woefully wrong. At the very least, check out some YouTube videos; it's plain and shocking how dull Paradise is compared to its predecessors.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The people that hate Burnout Paradise are vocal minority.
Hard disagree. In my experience, very few Burnout fans were pleased with the massive changes in format between Revenge and Paradise.

With that said, I noticed that when Max and the crew from YoVideoGames made their distaste known whenever they did videos on burnout games. Mainly 3 or revenge. When that happened, a little more people started coming out of the woodwork claiming similar statements or the same thing.
I think perhaps racing games (of any stripe) are such a niche genre, displeasure with any one outing likely doesn't travel as far as, say, if the next CoD were to undergo a huge change that hobbled the traditional draw of the franchise, i.e.: 99 displeased people out of 100 don't sound nearly as loud as 1,000 displeased people out of 10,000 despite the latter being 1/10 the sample group.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
All the Yakuza games.

Man I've been locked in with playing the series. I missed Yakuza on the whole, and I finally sat down to play through Seven and loved it so much that I have been playing all the games in order. I played 7, 0, kiwami 1 and 2, and I'm currently about halfway through 3 (which is the worst game so far) and I'm still loving them.

I frankly love the big story mini games, like real estate or hostess club management. I found them fun, but thankfully they aren't required if you just wanna play the story.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

FF8 was my introduction to my limited experience with the franchise, but I never understood the ire towards it.

*Dramatic pause to appreciate the irony of my posting a rebuttal to another poster's same sentiments regarding another franchise only two posts ago.*

The draw system in FF8 is pretty simple (if one isn't expecting systems similar to previous FF games, apparently; ) each creature you encounter has various "magics" in them which you can expend a turn in turn-based battle to "draw" amounts out of ranging from 0 (failed draw) to 9. Those magics can be junctioned to your characters' stats to increase them; the more you junction, the more of a stat increase you receive. Certain magics give bigger stat increases depending on relevance, i.e.: drawing and junctioning "Regen" magic to your HP stat gives a more noticeable HP boost than Fire or Water. Personally, every time I played, I drew 300 of every new magic I encountered (100 for each character in battle) and never had a problem. I actually rarely if ever used the actual magic as a spell; I just junctioned them to my stats for maximum damage output and defensive buffs.

Just saying, IMHO, FF8 was not only "fine," but quite enjoyable. I tried my hand at FF7 (the FF Holy Grail by most standards) and FF13, and both failed to engage me the way FF8 did over multiple playthroughs; why it's somehow a FF pariah boggles my mind.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hard disagree. In my experience, very few Burnout fans were pleased with the massive changes in format between Revenge and Paradise.

I think perhaps racing games (of any stripe) are such a niche genre, displeasure with any one outing likely doesn't travel as far as, say, if the next CoD were to undergo a huge change that hobbled the traditional draw of the franchise, i.e.: 99 displeased people out of 100 don't sound nearly as loud as 1,000 displeased people out of 10,000 despite the latter being 1/10 the sample group.
Other than the GameFAQs forums and the people immediately agreeing with Yahtzee (regardless if he liked the game or not), I did not find that many people displeased with Paradise back in 2008. I know there were a whole bunch of independent YouTubers that came later with their displeasure with the game, but I honestly don't care. Like I said before, there were some set backs, but I still think it's a good arcade racer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I still think it's a good arcade racer.
Agreed; it's a fine arcade racer. Is it a good Burnout? Very much disagree.

Similar to laggyteabag, had I been introduced to Burnout with Paradise, I'd likely have zero complaints; it's a fine game unto itself. But given my experiences with the franchise it claims to be a part of, it does too much differently, for little return, and ultimately wrong. It's like vegan pizza: might taste fine as an assemblage of edible flavors, and to someone who's never had pizza, it might even be GREAT... but have you had REAL pizza???