I'm your mother and "I can do whatever I want" attitude

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I get a lack of courtesy from almost my entire family.

Here is how I normally wake up every day when I'm at my mom's house: My sister lets all three dogs into my room and hop all over me. And here is how I was woken up last Christmas: Both of my sisters barge into my room and promptly tear the comforter from my bed, and run off with it.

This next one doesn't happen so much now that the louder part of my family lives at another house, but when the whole family was together, it was normal for music to be playing unnecessarily loud at 10-11 AM, or obnoxious cartoons to be playing at a similar volume. Or my younger sister would have her friends over ungodly early, and be making noises nonstop.

Granted, it might be my fault for sleeping in the latest out of the whole family, but is it too much to ask for a more pleasant awakening?

EDIT: I see a lot of posts going on about how OP's mom can do whatever the hell she pleases and how she's doing work for him. First, the posts I've seen have an almost-tangible sense of arrogance in them. Secondly, that may be the case, but the issue being discussed is the lack of courtesy on the mother's part, not what she happened to be doing. >_>

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
historybuff said:
Wow, whining about your mother cleaning up after you. Must be hard.

And she can do what she wants. Because she's your mother. That's the way it is.
Wow, Way to miss the entire point.

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
Dexiro said:
What the hell is up with everyone today, sure his parents have the right to do what they want but they should return some respect where it's due.

I'd never intentionally wake someone up just to use the argument "I can do whatever i want", that's just rude. She could have begun cleaning elsewhere first or woken him up politely before hand rather than just barging in and making a racket. She could have left it and asked him to clean it too.

Also people have different schedules, don't assume 9AM is early just because it is for you. What if he's working on a night shift or something :/

You guys just seem like you're making assumptions just to put other people down.
What if he already is just a plain asshole to his parents though? He doesn't deserve their respect then.

Also, I've had a similar situation where my dad would always wear his shoes in the house in the morning, but since I'm actually nice to my dad, and not to mention, it was at 6:30 AM, he took them off, and I went back to bed.

A little respect man.

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
Remember, courtesy goes both ways. Show it in her elderly living conditions if it bothers you that much.

You are overreacting to the actual incident. While I sympathize with your frustration with "I can do whaevur I wan cuz I iz oldur than joo", waking up at 9am because she was cleaning is nothing to get mad about.

Go back to sleep.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
You have your own bathroom? Awesome.

Man, some people don't know how good they have it.

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
historybuff said:

No, the point is that you should let your mother do what she wants, and that you shouldn't act like a spoiled asshole and complain about it to the internet.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
devildog1170 said:
What if he already is just a plain asshole to his parents though? He doesn't deserve their respect then.
Yeah because from what I've said, they'd totally keep me around if I was an asshole right?

You people act like because I got angry from one instance, that that is my whole life story. I think many of you have a lot more growing up to do than you think.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
historybuff said:

There was a point to this thread?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Wardnath said:
Jiraiya72 said:
historybuff said:

Yeah, That everyone deserves some basic courtesy, too bad that is lost on nearly everyone here.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
I see where you're coming from, it seems like she was intentionally doing that to wake you up. That was uncalled for and somewhat elitist to think that she has to wake you up under the entitled assumption that you are "HER" son so she can do that if she wants with you. My mother would not do that to me. On the other hand, she pays my sister 45$ to do the bathroom cleaning, and me 45$ to do the floor cleaning(for all floors in the house including bathrooms) It's a good deal. She hates doing the cleaning.

*edit* If you're mom has a problem with when you wake-up, or anything else, she can confront you verbally and tell you that, and tell you to change it. She doesn't by any means need to passive aggressively wake you up by cleaning you're bathroom first, with the undertone that she is doing the work and you should be grateful. Of course she could also have just randomly chosen it first without intending to wake you up, and without any passive aggressive feelings. If that's the case, you can ask her not to do it next time, or tell her you will clean you're own bathroom up to her standards on as regular a basis as she does to eliminate the problem entirely. This will prevent any further unwanted Saturday morning wake-up calls. Of course, she might just want you out of the house. I don't know you're situation.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Wow, 9 o clock what a shame.

This isn't really a big deal at all. Go to bed earlier and you wouldn't be so grumpy.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Old Trailmix said:

This isn't really a big deal at all. Go to bed earlier and you wouldn't be so grumpy.
I'll be sure to go to bed while I'm at work from 9pm to 5am.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Wardnath said:
Jiraiya72 said:
historybuff said:

Yeah, That everyone deserves some basic courtesy, too bad that is lost on nearly everyone here.
Then that point was very poorly made and came off as pointless whining.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Wardnath said:
My entire first paragraph is calling for courtesy, I don't see how you can miss the point.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
My parents are awesome,which is why me and my 30 year old brother still live with them.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
I really dom't know if I should stick up for you of your mum! I mean, if you have your own bathroom you must have a lot of money, and I doubt your spoilt but I also doubt your starved of games and stuff you want. However, surely if your mother waking you up while cleaning YOUR bathroom bugs that much why not in the future just tell her that you will clean it? I am all for the respect your elders thing, but also agree that if they don't respect you than you shouldn't respect them.

But its all about making a compromise! I aint exactly got a bad life; 16, living with parents and not doing bad for money :) I have no problems at all with my parents and have rarely argued with them at all in my life. Thats because not only do they respect me but I respect them... So trust me when I say that if you were to apologise to her and just say that from now on you will clean your bathroom, unless she is a complete tool, that she won't come into your room and wake you up next time your bathroom needs cleaning!

dorkette1990

Mar 1, 2010
Well, I've been on the other end of this situation, cleaning and waking up and having someone yell at me, and it really sucks. I'm sure it wasn't actually to be annoying (parents rarely are deliberate in that) or if it was by chance on purpose, I'd say from personal experience that she didn't want to clean it. She knew no one else would, it pissed her off, so she took her anger out.
I can see where she's coming from if that's the case (right now, I'm one of the only people who cleans my house, and I live with a couple of guys who don't believe in flushing - given the option when cleaning that bathroom, I would make as much noise/be as annoying as possible... mostly because it's not my mess to clean.)

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
She was actually teaching you a valuable lesson; how to deal with annoying people. Sadly complaining about it on a video game forum is not the best option. Best to let it go and save your angst for people that are more deserving of it.

Cheer up cheerio, better to have frustrating parents than none.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Wardnath said:
My entire first paragraph is calling for courtesy, I don't see how you can miss the point.
I didn't.

But because the OP was so poorly presented, you're not getting the message very far.

Particularly among the older users (who I think still have a bit of growing up to do themselves).

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Old Trailmix said:

I'll be sure to go to bed while I'm at work from 9pm to 5am.
You could have just asked politely, "Hey mom I'm really tired and trying to get some sleep, can you please clean the other bathrooms first?"