I'm your mother and "I can do whatever I want" attitude

Kailat777

Oct 28, 2008
I've read your responses to people (and most of their responses to you), and I think you're exaggerating the issue here. Yes, your mother COULD have cleaned a different room in the morning, but since she was cleaning your bathroom at all, the proper response should be 'thank you'. Also, if your mother were able to wake you up that easily at 9AM, I suspect you were not working last night. When I worked third shift, ANYTHING that woke me up I could tune out (that includes sleeping through renovations in the room next door).

If you really do pay for everything, as you say you do, then the solution to your predicament is obvious: MOVE OUT. Try renting an apartment. Since you're already paying for everything you get no additional expenses, and you get the additional freedom to courteously sleep in all day like you desire.

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
I'm not home any more, but my mom does laundry early Saturday morning. I gotta give her my sleepwear to wash. Kinda sucks, but nothing worthy of making a thread over.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
You are spoiled for having your own bathroom. Your mother has the wrong attitude, but so have you.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Let me start off by saying whenever you are dealing with people, a little fucking common courtesy is needed. Until said person proves he/she doesn't deserve respect, you should give them a little at the very least. This applies to everyone.

Now onto my story. My mother decides she should clean my bathroom and shower at 9 am this morning. This 9 am on a Saturday no less. During which she woke me up due to running the shower at full blast along with the tub/sink at random intervals. We have 3 bathrooms. Of which, mine is the ONLY one connected to my room and the one she decides she needs to "clean" first. All 3 bathrooms require cleaning, but despite knowing she has done this before, she does it again and cleans mine first.

When I woke up this morning, my first thought was "Who the fuck is in my shower at 9 am, and why is someone in my shower period". I open the door and thank my mother for waking me up and she gives me her typical "I can do whatever the hell I want because It's my house and I'm your mother". In addition, her tone was that 'how dare I question her'. Yes, no shit you can do whatever you want.

Common fucking courtesy it's called. Just because your my parent doesn't mean you should disrespect me, and anytime she does anything she knows annoys me, she pulls out this card. "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT." Yeah, I'm glad your busy proving that to yourself by annoying your children. Just because you can doesn't mean you should as the saying goes.

Running the shower and such wasn't even all the problem, she also decided to vacuum as well. There is literally no reason for her to have done any of this while I was sleeping. None of my other family was asleep and she could have easily cleaned their's first and I would have been awake by the time she got around.

I'm a bit tired and fucking pissed, /rantoff.

Edit: @Everyone. Stop assuming I do no work and I'm a lazy "teenager". You have no idea if I pay rent to stay over here or how much work I actually do, This whole issue is about common courtesy, not how much work I do or do not do.
just saying man, your parent has just about every right to pull the "I can do whatever I want" card because yes, it is her house. Also My mother has proclaimed that her house is a dictatorship, you do it my way or get out kind of thing. And guess what... I couldn't have asked for a better mother :) she just knows where and when to draw the line. Well as far as common courtesy goes, I think it depends on what kind of tone you used.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I love how everyone is on their high horses about this one when they are probably the same.

While I agree with other posters that 9am is hardly an early start (I have to get up at 3:30am every morning for work) and her cleaning your stuff isn't anything bad, I also understand that your point wasn't that she did those things but the reasoning and logic behind them.

She could have very easily knocked on your door to ask you to get up as she would like to clean your room (although personally I'd just keep it clean so she doesn't).

So yes, she was being rude, but there is nothing you can do about it and she has "every right" to as well, so I suggest you just accept it or do what I said before and just make sure it's clean enough. That way she doesn't feel the need to do it herself.

EDIT: I also noticed that you said it was a Saturday, so in all fairness it's not like you were at home sleeping when you should be at work/school/searching for work/whatever.

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
As much as I hate that argument, sometimes it's preferable to having your father mercilessly browbeat you from ages 7-16/blatantly insult you. Try being woken up at 9AM and being told that your possessions will be undergoing immediate search for anything that might be considered harmful to you, themselves, or others. Or how about being told, at 15, that if you don't pick your ass up and get a job, you're out? Granted, I held that job for all of 3 weeks before being fired in a very confusing string of events, so I'm not completely blameless, but how about having that held over your head in every conversation/argument proceeding?

True, it wasn't particularly courteous that she clean that bathroom in such a manner that might wake you, but being honest, she was cleaning a bathroom. She wasn't doing lines off your back, she was doing housework, and yes, she may have woken you up, but the point remains, she was doing something no one enjoys so that no one else had to do it instead. The fact that you pay rent does say something though: at least you have the option of leaving if you feel that your parents are being unjust.

EDIT: Personal question: Do you shower immediately after waking? If so, are we certain she wasn't washing your shower first so you could cleanse yourself in something that wasn't covered with bacteria and the like? Honestly, the treachery she treats you with!!

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
Let me start off by saying whenever you are dealing with people, a little fucking common courtesy is needed. Until said person proves he/she doesn't deserve respect, you should give them a little at the very least. This applies to everyone.

Now onto my story. My mother decides she should clean my bathroom and shower at 9 am this morning. This 9 am on a Saturday no less. During which she woke me up due to running the shower at full blast along with the tub/sink at random intervals. We have 3 bathrooms. Of which, mine is the ONLY one connected to my room and the one she decides she needs to "clean" first. All 3 bathrooms require cleaning, but despite knowing she has done this before, she does it again and cleans mine first.

When I woke up this morning, my first thought was "Who the fuck is in my shower at 9 am, and why is someone in my shower period". I open the door and thank my mother for waking me up and she gives me her typical "I can do whatever the hell I want because It's my house and I'm your mother". In addition, her tone was that 'how dare I question her'. Yes, no shit you can do whatever you want.

Common fucking courtesy it's called. Just because your my parent doesn't mean you should disrespect me, and anytime she does anything she knows annoys me, she pulls out this card. "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT." Yeah, I'm glad your busy proving that to yourself by annoying your children. Just because you can doesn't mean you should as the saying goes.

Running the shower and such wasn't even all the problem, she also decided to vacuum as well. There is literally no reason for her to have done any of this while I was sleeping. None of my other family was asleep and she could have easily cleaned their's first and I would have been awake by the time she got around.

I'm a bit tired and fucking pissed, /rantoff.

Edit: @Everyone. Stop assuming I do no work and I'm a lazy "teenager". You have no idea if I pay rent to stay over here or how much work I actually do, This whole issue is about common courtesy, not how much work I do or do not do.
Bahahahahahahaha she cleans 'YOUR' bathroom and you get pissy about that christ man be thankful you have your own one, but yes mother can do as they please. Fuck with them and they fuck you up simple =D

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
Big deal. My parents woke me up at 8AM so I could clean the bathrooms, and the porch.

CG NUTS

May 1, 2010
you are right that parents abuse there power by saying it's mine i bought it and stuff like that. but can't you see how great you have it, you don't even have to clean your room yourself and you have your owne bathroom. so from my piont of view you are a verry lucky guy.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Legion said:
I love how everyone is on their high horses about this one when they are probably the same.

While I agree with other posters that 9am is hardly an early start (I have to get up at 3:30am every morning for work) and her cleaning your stuff isn't anything bad, I also understand that your point wasn't that she did those things but the reasoning and logic behind them.

She could have very easily knocked on your door to ask you to get up as she would like to clean your room (although personally I'd just keep it clean so she doesn't).

So yes, she was being rude, but there is nothing you can do about it and she has "every right" to as well, so I suggest you just accept it or do what I said before and just make sure it's clean enough. That way she doesn't feel the need to do it herself.
Well I never.

When Legion gives you your most sympathetic post so far, you know something has gone wrong.

Anyway, there's a lack of respect on both parts here, but I would love being woken up really early, it makes falling asleep again really satisfying. Also, what is everyone's problem with lie-ins? Seriously, there's nothing wrong with sleeping.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Average height of 'horses' within this thread:

Average response -> .
^
^
OP-> .
^
^
^
^
^
Earth-> .

Aren't we all so pretentious about something we've all personally done today?
Yes, it is quite the nice view up here on my horse, now you ask me.

On-Topic: If she's doing it repeatedly, I think she's making a point. Yes, it's pretty immature and petty, but I think the hint is "do it yourself". If you don't do it yourself, you can't complain really.

ghostalker.cepo

Dec 31, 2008
Jesus... why are there always so many polar views on here? Either black or white with no middle ground whatsoever.

OP: She's doing it deliberately so you don't sleep will noon and slob around all day (not saying you would), although being a parent she won't give you such a reasonable answer, she'll make some bullshit up. You could always sit down with her and ask her why she does it, talk it out like adults, or do what all kids do and get pissy. I'm 24 and I still get pissy with my parents when they do shit that interupts my life and have a go at them for it, even though they're looking out for me... they just have a cack handed method of execution.

ThePerfectionist

Apr 5, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Mostly Snip

Respect is what you owe parents, teachers, and elders as a given. The respect you earn is for everyone else.
I was trying to get through this without replying to anyone but the OP, but you have touched a nerve with me sir.

Respect is NEVER owed. No one ever deserves respect by default (above the basic human respect that causes me not to plant a car bomb every time someone cuts me off, obviously). It is ALWAYS earned. A shitload of parents use that last line of yours as an excuse to stop treating their CHILD with respect, so don't start me on that topic. If someone wants respect, they need to earn it. This isn't hard, but most people (read: most parents) can't be asked. "My house, my rules" is a valid argument, but only to a point.

Yeah, I have issues with parental authority (not mine though, my parents are awesome). Deal with it.

Now, on topic.

While I agree with the general consensus that you are awfully quick to get your panties in a bunch, I also think you have a perfectly reasonable point. From the information given, it shouldn't have mattered to your mother which bathroom she cleaned first, and picking the one with a sleeping person in it (assuming that no one was sleeping right next to the OTHER two bathrooms), just seems a little bit insensitive.

Do I think this was worth throwing a tantrum over? No. Should you have flipped off at your mom? Probably not. Could you have reasonably suggested that she clean one of the other ones first (or at least shut the bathroom door)? Definitely.

If you want to be treated with respect, you have to treat them with respect (something my brother doesn't understand sometimes). If I was your mom, you yelling at me would only make me want to make sure I targeted your bathroom first every time. You said she's done this more than once, and from your attitude, it sounds like you have the same reaction every time. Try changing that, see if it works out for you.

This ended up being rather long for such a silly topic, but I was getting damned tired of reading all the replies that were jumping to the defense of your mom. Just remember the words of the late George Carlin: "Some parents deserve respect. Most of them don't. Period." And the ones that do, have earned it.

EDIT: Almost forgot. On a Saturday morning (during summer, no less) you're lucky to even see me, so I can definitely sympathize with saying 9 AM is too damned early to be awake. Some of us are night people, we don't like the hours between 6 AM and noon. Leave us alone.

EDIT X2: Admittedly, my mom cleaning my bathroom wouldn't wake me up, but then again I think I'd probably sleep through an earthquake. Once I'm out, I'm out.

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
I hate that argument. I'm older, and I have more experience and is smarter than you. I am the only one in the family who can use power point. My mom takes forever to get to a website, and my step dad types like a second grader. Do I love them. Yes. Are they pricks. Sometimes yeah. I try and deal with it. Just a few more years for me. I don't know for you but I can sympathize. Common Sense, she should have cleaned yours last. I wake up usually 6-11, but it's summer. If you don't like it, piss off. Give respect when it's due.

Apr 19, 2010
Steve5513 said:
xRagnarok19 said:
How about waking up at 9am
And it is her house and she can do whatever she wants including but not limited to;
kicking you out,
waking you up whenever she wants,
deciding not to give you food,
taking away everything you think you own from you.
She can do all but the last stuff, since the stuff he owns even if bought by someone else, is his. You can't take something back and claim it as yours after you've given it to someone else.

This seems like a dick move on his mothers part. There is no real reason why she couldn't have cleaned the other rooms first.
Actually no, unless hes over 18, or whatever it is where he lives, his parents control all of his finances and he cannot legally own anything.
And maybe she could have cleaned the other rooms first but he should get his lazy ass out of bed and clean it himself if he doesn't want this to happen.