Immorally making $5,000

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
If you've an ounce of integrity or class, you tell him. If you're a greedy money-grubbing jerk, you just pocket it. Its a pretty black and white issue, no gray area.
Now, the real kicker here is that its a scenario where you don't have a clue if the owner knows what he has, but given that the owner (the brother) played MtG, its quite possible he knows how much its worth and A)doesn't care or B) is testing your integrity.
In a real world situation its hard to believe that a former player wouldn't know that a Black Lotus is worth money, serious money. Its more likely that a deceased player's kin has a box of their cards with no real clue what they're worth.
Either way, for integrity's sake you're a better person for speaking up.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
Sell it and surprise your friend with five grand. Maybe he will split it with you after such a pleasant surprise.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Tell him its really valuable. If he is a good friend, he will give you a chunk of the profit, for bringing its existence to his attention.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
I'd say it's pretty far fetched that he has a NM copy of an alpha or beta lotus. There were no card sleeves back in the day and I'm sure that if he actually played with the cards there would be some damage. You'd be looking closer to 2-3 grand, as that's what they go for on ebay. Star City can sell at those prices because they are reputable and you can be damn sure it's not a fake.

In fact, you might not even be able to sell it unless you get it graded, fake power goes around quite often and the people in the market for beta or alpha will definitely be looking for proof of it being real.

Also, tell your friend, tell him the truth, and offer to go through the motions to get the most out of it, and split the profits somehow. That way you both win, if you just steal it, you'll never be able to live it down (if you're a decent person).

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
If it was me, I'd sell it. I don't see why it matters if he never knows about it esp. when he gave you the cards. Isn't it his responsibility to understand what it is he's giving away? That's not your problem.

Consider all the things you could do with that money...such as donating to charity...or something... ;)

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Sell, give him half as an unexpected gift or 'thank you' for letting you sell the cards.

If he was going to give them to you anyway you're under no moral obligation to give him any of the proceeds. He donated the cards to you and you were the one who sold them. He's lucky to get half. He's lucky to get anything.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
What he doesn;t know can;t hurt him... and if you feel bad, split it 50-50... but either way you should get something, if not all of it...<.<

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
You know, I wouldn't have an issue with either choice. You wouldnt be obligated to tell him, but it wouldnt be over the top either.

SirPlindington said:
So, instead of thinking it out and taking responsibility for my actions
But a guy who would do this is a gigantic douche, hypothetically ofcourse.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'd definitely tell him. But then I'd also ask to split the proceeds when it sells, probably at like a 30/70 split in his favor, since he wouldn't have known about it if not for me.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Tell him, he'll probably be really glad you told him and would probably give you a cut of the profit. Also if they do happen to find out afterwards that you indirectly stole $5000 from them they probably won't want to ever see you again.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Integrity means doing the right thing even when no one is looking, even if it costs you. I guess if you don't care about integrity and totally need to help your family you could steal the card.

$5,000 could do a lot of good for his family also. If you steal it you are an asshole forever.

Plus if be ever finds out what do you think would happen? Be a good person.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Wintermute said:
I don't know anything about Magic the Gathering, but that card is "+3 Mana". Why is it so expensive?
It's a deceptively powerful card. Typically, you're only allowed to add a single resources, land, to the board for producing mana. So normally you'd be able to play 1 mana spells, 2 mana spell and then 3 mana spells and so forth. Black Lotus lets you play a source, for free, that produces 3 mana of any color. This often lets you accelerate into a much more powerful spell than could normally be played that turn. This is then coupled with only being printed in very small numbers in some of the game's first sets.

OT: If your friend had sold you a box of old cards, unseen, then I think it would be more of a quandary. In that case they knew the risk to some degree that they might be valuable, but they decided that immediate cash was more important to them than taking the time to look through it. Otherwise I think you tell him, cause in that case you might as well rephrase the question to - "Would you stop being friends with someone for $5,000?"

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Wintermute said:
I don't know anything about Magic the Gathering, but that card is "+3 Mana". Why is it so expensive?

Anyway, I'll be honest. If the card was word 100, 200, I'd probably take it with a clear conscience. But 5000, that's a lot of money... I wouldn't be able to just take it.

The asshole half of me, however, says you should take it, sell it and then go "oh my, I had no idea, what are we going to do with all this money?"
First off: It's incredible as a card. Gettin +3 mana on the first turn usually results in a First Turn kill with a crazy combo. That's why that stuff is only legal in "T1" or "Vintage" tournaments.

But the reason it's so expensive is, because it is THE CARD of MTG. The symbol of MTG since.. basically ever. That combined with the fact that MTG is now 20 years old and became an official thing for collectors.
Before that the Lotus was only worth 1-2 grand.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
I think telling him is the right thing to do. That being said, I don't believe that keeping it would be immoral. Stealing it would be one thing, but he willingly gave it to you. It would be his fault for not being aware of the value of the property he was giving away.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Weeeeeell... He probably wouldn't have found that out without you. Seriously, there's no money at all without you. You hold all the cards, so to speak.

Seriously though, I say you take it, sell it and split it in half. You didn't steal anything, he gave those cards to you. He obviously didn't care about them, so getting 2500 bucks out of the blue for nothing doesn't seem like a bad deal for any of you.