impossible game moments

Heathen92

Nov 30, 2007
Alan Au said:
Why is it that you can kill a mostly-hidden bad guy by shooting his exposed hand/foot repeatedly?

- Alan
Blood loss. That's why it takes more bullets, and even if it doesn't kill'em losing a hand/foot kind of hampers their ability to kill you.

MichaelAB

Nov 21, 2007
TheNecroswanson said:
tiredinnuendo said:
*SPOILERS*
(They work for you because you're Ryan's son. They were designed to bring him back.)
*END SPOILERS*

- J
SPLUH? Where is that revealed!?
*SPOILER 2*
I don't think it actually says that the main character is Ryan's son, but you were created from his DNA. This is noted through several of the audio logs.
*END SPOILER 2*

TSED

Dec 16, 2007
Surviving a hit from anything 30' or taller.

In Crystalis, the classic old NES game no one's ever heard of, the end boss. Is. Too. Easy. Just, ugh. Most anticlimatic boss ever.

In fighting games, when they do fatal things (like neck snaps) that 'only' do a whole bunch of damage. Or, in fighting games, when the 80 pound 12 year old girl character can hit the 350 pound huge-guy with a jab and send him four feet into the air, vertically.

Devil May Cry 3, the fight vs Lady. You're capable of catching bullets in your teeth, and this regular human is capable of outrunning you? And when you finally get her with the sword, the magical sword with the strength to use a motorcycle as an effective bludgeoning weapon... And it 'only' hurts a bunch instead of bisecting her? Wth?

Most hit point / life bar systems in general, really. Make it hard to hit them, not easy to hit them and hard to kill them. THAT is how things survive in real life.

Alan Au

Mar 8, 2007
Heathen92 said:
Alan Au said:
Why is it that you can kill a mostly-hidden bad guy by shooting his exposed hand/foot repeatedly?

- Alan
Blood loss. That's why it takes more bullets, and even if it doesn't kill'em losing a hand/foot kind of hampers their ability to kill you.
That's the odd part--it takes the same number of bullets as if you shoot the bad guy in the face. Of course, that's a separate issue. Granted, modern games seem to get the idea of a "head shot," but it's still just weird. In the bad old RPG days, you'd take 1 HP of damage from stubbing your toe, implying that if you stubbed your toe enough times then you'd keel over dead. It might be amusing, but it's also one of those things that reminds you that you're just playing a game with arbitrarily created rules.

- Alan

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Virtually all boss fights where the boss is human yet takes an assload of damage before dying usually of the gunshot kind.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Just where does Mr. Freeman keep all his guns? That HEV suit must have some freaking deep pockets if he can hold a rocket launcher, a SMG, a machine gun, 2 types of pistols, a crossbow and so on, not to mention the fact that whilst carrying enough guns to start a moderately armed militia force, he can still jump and run like he's butt naked.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
L4Y Duke said:
Just where does Mr. Freeman keep all his guns? That HEV suit must have some freaking deep pockets if he can hold a rocket launcher, a SMG, a machine gun, 2 types of pistols, a crossbow and so on, not to mention the fact that whilst carrying enough guns to start a moderately armed militia force, he can still jump and run like he's butt naked.
Same goes for Bioshock.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
In Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64, I remember having the Golden Gun, but I would only aim for the hands or feet. Always fun to see somebody die instantly after only being shot in the foot.

Jet Force Gemini. The whole game was run&gun for the most part until right before the end of the game where it decided to make you run around all 20-something planets with EACH of your 3 characters to find every little piece of your big space ship to chase the final boss through space. Oh not that it even gives you any hints as to where any are. It's kinda like "You have 29 pieces to find throughout the galaxy. Go.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
tiredinnuendo said:
I'll give you that. The fact that Ryan is able to die is never explained, to the best of my knowledge.
- J
The vita-chamber in his office is turned off.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
MichaelAB said:
*SPOILER 2*
I don't think it actually says that the main character is Ryan's son, but you were created from his DNA. This is noted through several of the audio logs.
*END SPOILER 2*
SPOILER!

You are his literal biological son, when he was having a fling with the dancer from Eve's Garden, she sold the fertilised egg to Fontaine, and he had Suchong work you over to accelerate your growth and implant control phrases into your brain. It's pretty well laid out in the audiologs.

Annom

Nov 7, 2007
hickwarrior said:
Maybe i wanna be the guy, with alot of unfairness attached to it. That's a freeware game, FYI. Just google IWBTG, if your interested in it.
After banging my head ageist the wall for a few weeks I actually beat that game.

In games like dead rising for example it took me out of the game to see so many people looking alike... am I to believe that on that day for whatever reason a chunk of the population just decided they were all going to wear the same yellow shirt and blue jeans? No it was the idea to use a low amount of different models and textures to create a "mass population" that in the end looks like a cloning experiment that went bad.

Also any game where enemies come running at you then take part in the battle one at a time (Assassins creed), it doesn't matter if your back is turned and your in the middle of attacking someone else everyone will wait their turn.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
According to RPGs, sleep can always cure blood loss and other injuries. In some games, it cures status ailments up to and including death.

Sleep - The answer to cancer.

Pittzi

Dec 23, 2007
Knight Templar said:
Or at the start of halo 3. you fall from space!
You're in an escapepod. It's right there by the side and for some reason by the end, he jumps out of it.

Thegreatoz

Jan 5, 2008
The last mission for KOTOR on hard mode. i never finished it, after getting killed atleast 100 times i just gave up.

and

Doom 3 on Nightmare mode.

rhizic

Nov 14, 2007
snakes absoulutly pathetic resistance to lung cancer, I mean the rate his health bar goes down when he lights up a smoke! that guy needs patches, and a doctor.

rhizic

Nov 14, 2007
oh and the way lu bu can wipe out any army in dynasty warrior............no no sorry thats realistic. lol

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
hickwarrior said:
Maybe i wanna be the guy, with alot of unfairness attached to it. That's a freeware game, FYI. Just google IWBTG, if your interested in it.
Interested enough that I downloaded the demo. In the hour I spent playing, I managed to get to the Bowser/Wart/Wily battle, and died a total of 86 times. There's something bizarrely addictive about the way it doesn't help you at all, and at every turn, does things in the least intuitive way possible, yet I kept playing!