Improvements for Mass Effect 2

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
tratorix said:
Hitting x allows you to skip dialogue. It's not the same as skipping through the scene, but it does help cut through the crap quicker on a second playthrough.
That's what I was talking about in my second paragraph. I was saying that while you can skip dialogue if you do it too fast then hitting X will select the default answer. Having the button that you need to hit repeatedly at a fast rate be the same one that chooses your answers is just poor planning. They should have made it so only X skips dialogue and only A selects your responses.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
I agree when i was getting the paragon and renegade achievements it was incredibly annoying to acidently choose the neutral answer.

some more suggestions

-more dramatic armor and weapon diffrences

-salarian ally (you never really got one)

-more organic enemies (plenty of diffrent types of geth but their were only a few types of organic enemies, which made the side quests very repetitive)

-more depth into the contact wars (humanity seemed a little to forgiving)

-better initiation and cinematic sequences into side quests

-more minigames for locks, doors, computers,etc... (the "press the color button" security system was boring it would have been better if they switched between several diffrent minigames and if they actually varied in difficulty

-melee attack to be usefull(it was so much more effective just to shoot them, with the exception of fighting creepers)

-better achievements (It took me months to get 1000/1000 in this game and i had to play it over several times, and that starts becoming less and less fun as it goes on)

-don't get all the soccer moms angry by telling them that theres gay sex scene in the game

excessum ado

Dec 27, 2007
They absolutely have to fix the buggy as shit graphics. There was a graphical fluxuation or blemish like every 30 seconds.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Mako - Less of it please. It deserved a mention in the credits how much it played a part of the game. Controls: Absolutely fine. Dont have a farking clue what people are complaining about when the Warthog from Halo gets no complaints. No different from that in my opinion.

Story worlds - Please have more urban and populated story worlds, with more of the aliens please. One thing I liked about Mass Effect was influencing aliens perceptions of humanity. With the first games end, Im hoping its not swept under the rug. I want to still be able to paint different pictures of humanity for aliens.

More varied interiors this time please. I cant convey how boring it becomes to step into prefab settlement #1 or Spaceship interior #1 for the 6598237648729467982367938467th time. *snore*

Combat - I thought it was fine. Naturally for a sequel though, I just want more new and varied weapons/biotics/tech powers, as Im expecting the bar in combat to be raised like BG II after Baldurs Gate.

NPCs - suitable replaces (and after witnessing forum posters at Bioware ask: NO GODDAMN HK-47 CLONES! DO YOU SEE PEOPLE ASKING FOR MINSC CLONES?!?!?!?!! STAY AWAY FROM ARTIFICIAL COMPANIONS I BEG YOU BIOWARE!!!!!!!) *straightens tie* Other than that, lots and lots more NPC interaction. People harp on about how KOTOR was better for NPC's - IT WASNT!!!! Zaalbarr, Mission, T3, and Juhani all had either -1000000000% personality, or were x10000000000% annoying personality/backstory. Mass Effects NPC's were great, but about as satisfying as prematurely ejaculating. And this may sound like a step back, but in Baldurs Gate II (or KOTOR) romance progression wasnt tied to how much exploration is done. While nothing will ever compare to romancing Viconia, I would still like to romance Liara at my/(her) own pace in game, not have to go do a story world to get more content and romance out of her each time. Makes it feel artificial and stuttery ? a jarring comparison when you look at the features and dialogue, that seem so real when romancing her.

Mini-game - While the silly numerical game didnt cheat like Pazaak on KOTOR (that is the cheatiest pile of shite mini-game Ive ever had the misfortune to play), it was pretty boring, and quickly useless. What was the point of that game while you were dragging around 999999999 credits? Either improve or remove please?

Money - Give us nice, unique and interesting stuff to spend our money our money on, and spend it properly. Not only is nothing worth buying because it can be looted or found in containers anyway for free, your money reaches stupid amounts too. There is nothing wrong with struggling for cash in games. Makes purchases feel so much more rewarding when you have worked and sacrificed for them.

If its possible, a romance for those gay fella's (or interested ladies I guess?) out there. I personally wouldnt want to be screwed out of a romance like they were. I dont give a flying fuck what the homophobic gamers or whoever the fuck else disagrees thinks about it, the people interested in a gay romance pay the same price for the game as I do, and I think highly enough of Bioware to hope they would provide it again and not screw them out of a romance while we enjoy ours. I accepted the time constraints and creative difficulties reasoning for the first game, but I hope bioware will come trough for the people interested in it this time around. Im pretty certain they have done it before in Jade Empire, right?

Not sure if this would too adversely effect the next game, but - NO SCALING ENEMIES PLEASE! It was SHIT! in Oblivion, and its almost as SHIT! in Mass Effect. Ill admit Im not beyond reasoning in this regard, because this might royally screw with the game, but its still monotonous sometimes when you know, and I mean KNOW that the game is leading you along by the hand like a school traffic lady taking you across the road.

Hmm, I could come up with plenty more I suppose, but thats it for now. Besides MORE DLC soon please Bioware!

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
Ok, the one thing I have thought of since my last post is the one that severly pissed me off the most about the game, and that is: Give Paragons some Excitement!!! Being a Rebel was fun because occasionally you got to get into a fight, and I'm all for Diplomacy and barganing in a game, but seriousy; I spent the better part of Christmas getting up my Charm level and then being a pussy about everything!

Imperator_2

Feb 19, 2008
one more romance for the old crew: Tali. Yes, this is for the fanboys, but you must admit, it would require a good deal of creativity to pull it off(and could require you advancing your technical ability to impress her) considering her biology.
Back to the point, the original Mass Effect has most of the jobs and missions not coalesce into one huge arc. Most of them are just fetch-quests unrelated to the main plot, and unaffecting on a grand scale. I want to see every decision you make have a visible impact on the world and/or universe around you. For instance, disabling this Geth cruiser full of weapons and troops( by the way, space combat should be allowed) half-way to it's destination will halt an invasion of a system known for it's shipbuilding facilities. If you hadn't stopped this cruiser, it would have destroyed those facilities, damaging the Council's ability to assist you and the galaxy at large, meaning more raids from both the Geth and possibly the Batarians, who smell weakness. That's the kind of effect I want you to have.

JingleheimerShmidt

May 24, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
Expand on the plot whithout adding new races. A new race will ruin the depth of Mass Effect one, with all the depth in the first one it would seem out of place to introduce a new race.
I must say, this comment confused me a bit. Why would adding new races ruin the overall depth of the game? I would agree that suddenly shoving an overwhelming number of new species at us, enough to overshadow the existing ones entirely, would be a bad move on their part. However, adding no new races at all seems highly unlikely. The original Mass Effect had us exploring less than half of the entire Galaxy, with millions more solar systems being placed outside of Citadel Space and out of the current reach of the council races.

The Rachni are just one example of a species that had been previously unknown before they were accidentally discovered through the use of a newly activated Mass Relay, with devastating consequences. I would be very surprised if the second game in the series did not explore the possibilities of new civilizations being uncovered in this manner.

As for my own suggestions; give the non-story worlds some life! I recall coming across some rudimentary insectile and herbivorous lifeforms on two of the "falling pollen" worlds, and was delighted by that nice little touch. These are unfortunately isolated events, as most of the worlds are barren and dead. Of course, given what we currently know about the state of the universe this really is to be expected. I only wish that, on the planets that *do* quite clearly have the means to support life, that they would give them more than just some pollen and a green texture. Some forested areas, swamps, jungles, with corresponding alien ecosystems would really make up for all those lifeless hunks of rock.

Additionally, I really hope that the Rachni make an appearance for those who chose to let the Queen live in the first game. By that I mean an *important* role, not just some obscure sidequest that has no real influence on the plot. Having your choice in the first game cause huge plot points in the later games would be a fantastic addition. For those without save files, I'm sure there would be a "canon" decided upon by the developers.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I would also like some method of affecting the overall personality of the crew. If my character is in to simply killing those that get in her (I played as a girl.) way suggestions from the characters should begin to reflect this. It would also be a good idea to allow characters to alter the way their character looks when starting ME2 with a save file from the previous game just in case the player wants to keep the stats but change the appearance for the next game.

NoNeedCaptain

May 24, 2008
Wrex stays, Lesbian rule and make lots of money (You can show tits, God of War does), Scrap the Mako or at least make it an actualy tank not some hybrid thing, Fix the save system ugh, and finally SPACE BATTLES! I was fully expecting to get into some gritty star trek-esq space battles where you shoot missles and drop nuclear mines or something.

*Spoiler Warning*

Can you imagine trying to take down the Reapers in the tiny little Normandy? just flying around dodging tentacles and those red beams?. Plain unaltered Awesome.

Edit: Make an old-school Star Fox linear path level.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Joeshie said:
Release it on the PC right when it first comes out.
I agree. Even though I will buy this for the 360 I still feel that Bioware should respect the fact that it is the PC fans that made the company famous.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Better handling on the Mako

The ability to give orders to your teammates seperately

Co-op

Inventory management

Elevators

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Fire Daemon said:
I agree. Even though I will buy this for the 360 I still feel that Bioware should respect the fact that it is the PC fans that made the company famous.
That and I just want mods for it.

Mods can make any game better.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
RedStriker said:
5. More back story for characters

6. More back story for civilizations/ faces
Thats what those little codec things were for - and there is also a book that came out for people to read up on it.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Joeshie said:
Release it on the PC right when it first comes out.
I think it the game was rushed last minute for a deadline so they couldn't get it out on both platforms, hence why even though it took a while for it to get a PC version, it was still quicker than everyone thought, I'll sure as hell be getting this in a few days, and from what I heard about it, it's worth the wait. I don't want to sound like a fanboy dick or anything but it sounds like the 360 got a great game, but it was a bit watered down.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
Another update, hardy har har. How about a quick-paced start to the game; maintaining the obviously awesome RPG element but also giving the Shooter fans something to do instead of pressing the big ol' Skip button repeatedly; for Christ's sake people we're not playing a Capcom game. I would also like more diplomacy, put you in a position fo importance and influence; if you offend the wrong Race they may turn against you later, if you kill a large colony of Criminals but also kill Civilians; guess who's getting a retaliation attack? Just keep expanding from there. I would also like to suggest a very very important thing; Make Guns more Individual, from Geth Covanent-esque Weapons to bullet ridden Human weapons; same thing applies to Armours, or better yet let you buy seperate pieces of Armour and experiment with looks. Even perhaps buying normal clothing for Recon missions!

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I think it the game was rushed last minute for a deadline so they couldn't get it out on both platforms, hence why even though it took a while for it to get a PC version, it was still quicker than everyone thought, I'll sure as hell be getting this in a few days, and from what I heard about it, it's worth the wait. I don't want to sound like a fanboy dick or anything but it sounds like the 360 got a great game, but it was a bit watered down.
More likely, it was released on the 360 first so people would buy it, and then once the sales had died off a bone was thrown to PC gamers who are only going to pirate it anyway...

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
GloatingSwine said:
who are only going to pirate it anyway...
Careful your ignorance is showing.

Exactly what makes you think all PC gamers are pirates? Cuz some devs. left exclusivity?

I know you can pirate the 360 version of mass effect, but if I say more then I'll get banned.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
JingleheimerShmidt said:
Fire Daemon said:
Expand on the plot whithout adding new races. A new race will ruin the depth of Mass Effect one, with all the depth in the first one it would seem out of place to introduce a new race.
I must say, this comment confused me a bit. Why would adding new races ruin the overall depth of the game? I would agree that suddenly shoving an overwhelming number of new species at us, enough to overshadow the existing ones entirely, would be a bad move on their part. However, adding no new races at all seems highly unlikely. The original Mass Effect had us exploring less than half of the entire Galaxy, with millions more solar systems being placed outside of Citadel Space and out of the current reach of the council races.

The Rachni are just one example of a species that had been previously unknown before they were accidentally discovered through the use of a newly activated Mass Relay, with devastating consequences. I would be very surprised if the second game in the series did not explore the possibilities of new civilizations being uncovered in this manner.

As for my own suggestions; give the non-story worlds some life! I recall coming across some rudimentary insectile and herbivorous lifeforms on two of the "falling pollen" worlds, and was delighted by that nice little touch. These are unfortunately isolated events, as most of the worlds are barren and dead. Of course, given what we currently know about the state of the universe this really is to be expected. I only wish that, on the planets that *do* quite clearly have the means to support life, that they would give them more than just some pollen and a green texture. Some forested areas, swamps, jungles, with corresponding alien ecosystems would really make up for all those lifeless hunks of rock.

Additionally, I really hope that the Rachni make an appearance for those who chose to let the Queen live in the first game. By that I mean an *important* role, not just some obscure sidequest that has no real influence on the plot. Having your choice in the first game cause huge plot points in the later games would be a fantastic addition. For those without save files, I'm sure there would be a "canon" decided upon by the developers.
I think I see what Fire Daemon is saying. While obviously the Rachni and those expansion pack aliens (Baatsomething?) should be a bit more noticable, adding even one race that wasn't mentioned in ME 1 might dilute the feeling of each race having its place, and being quite intimate to the setting. To use Star Wars as an analogy, I never felt like I learned all that much about any alien race in particular because there were so many, and they just flew by the silver screen. Mass Effect has a much closer feel; I can remember every race, its general dynamics and it is related to the others. The more races are added as "the New Guy" (invader, first contact, we-were-here-all-along) the less Mass Effect will have that interconnected feel, and it will either bloat itself with detail or lose that depth.
Still, one or two added alien races might not be so bad if they were introduced well.