In-Game Attack Costs EVE Player $1200

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Hm... so you can use the ingame currency to pay for your subscription? wow i mite be gettin that commanding officer edition

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Tibike77 said:
boholikeu said:
Lightslei said:
People on this thread need to learn to read. The guys not remotely mad about it.
Seems kind of stupid for a suicide attack like that though.
Why isn't he mad? He just lost $1200 dollars worth of play time?
I would only be mildly annoyed if I lost 30 bil ISK in EVE.
That's like, oh, what, around 8% of my current total in-game wealth ?
Once you can pay for a couple of decades of gametime with ISK, all the extra ISK isn't looking all that valuable anymore. Nowhere near as valuable as it looks to a relatively in-game-poor player anyway.
:)

Still, I would try to avoid to put myself in a situation where I could lose so much ISK in a single swoop... it seems just wasteful, and I didn't get to amass such a wealth by being wasteful.
Heck, I NEVER flew a ship worth more than 1 bil ISK, and the ships I usually fly are worth a third of a bil ISK tops (with potential drop value negligible).

On the other hand, OTHER players crave the adrenaline of combat more than anything else. For those players, risking a noticeable percentage of their wealth is a prerequisite for "feeling the rush", and the loss of those expensive ships are a "necessary evil". So it's no wonder if a very ingame-wealthy guy is not all that upset about a massive loss.
Ah, actually that makes sense since the intrinsic value of ISK would drop after you accumulate enough to essentially play the game indefinitely.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
halo3rulzer said:
Hm... so you can use the ingame currency to pay for your subscription? wow i mite be gettin that commanding officer edition
That would be paying for the game at first ;)

A much more convenient way is to get any RL acquaintance you might have that plays EVE (preferably one that pays ISK to buy PLEX to pay for his sub) to send you a 21-day trial invite (as opposed to the regular 14-day trial, or the no-free-time of creating a "full" account from scratch) and also have him send you a PLEX (the in-game item that when consumed upgrades trial accounts to full and adds 30 days of paid gametime) as soon as you create your first character and you should immediately apply that received PLEX on that character to your 21-day trial account.
Thanks to the way the system is set up, you get 51 days of not-cash-paid-for "full" gametime, while HE gets 30 days of gametime too (what he would have gotten if he used the PLEX himself).
NOTE : I said "RL acquaintance" because very few EVE players would trust just giving out a PLEX to a person they never met before for use in such a fashion, since they gain nothing overall but the other party can choose to shaft them.

If you are patient enough to read the massive amount of (mostly player-made) documentation beforehand so you'll know (very roughly) what to do when you start out skillwise and ISKwise (it's much more complicated than it sounds or seems), and if you follow the (current) tutorials and career funnel agents to get a better idea of what you can do (because just reading about it is no substitute for actually doing), you should be able to be self-sufficient at the end of those 51 days (if you put enough effort into it anyway, it's harder earlier, for obvious reasons) and already afford to buy a PLEX yourself, so you never actually have to pay a single dime to play.

Granted, however, the "officer" edition has its perks too.
For starters, you get an exclusive bonus item that can be used to grant your first created character (and sadly, only that character) a whooping +3 to all attributes (a full set of +3 attribute implants can cost up to around 50 mil ISK, and you can probably still find a PLEX for around 350 mil ISK right now - all prices are in heavy flux always though, so no guarantees) and +20% to all turret damages and -20% waiting time between missile launches... but the effect only lasts for the first 30 days of gameplay.
Still, the learning speed boost translates (eventually) in the rough equivalent of about 2 extra weeks of playtime (so you don't really miss all that much compared to a regular 14-day trial), and the DPS increase from the other effects of the item is more than welcome, especially early on, where you really need it if you're going for a mission-running career (the fastest//easiest way to self-sufficiency, but not the only one).
And of course, you get the actual box and whatever other goodies might be inside, as opposed to somebody that has nothing physically tangible... but that's not that important for some people, depends on personal preference only.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Tibike77 said:
halo3rulzer said:
That would be paying for the game at first ;)

A much more convenient way is to get any RL acquaintance you might have that plays EVE (preferably one that pays ISK to buy PLEX to pay for his sub) to send you a 21-day trial invite (as opposed to the regular 14-day trial, or the no-free-time of creating a "full" account from scratch) and also have him send you a PLEX (the in-game item that when consumed upgrades trial accounts to full and adds 30 days of paid gametime) as soon as you create your first character and you should immediately apply that received PLEX on that character to your 21-day trial account.
Thanks to the way the system is set up, you get 51 days of not-cash-paid-for "full" gametime, while HE gets 30 days of gametime too (what he would have gotten if he used the PLEX himself).
NOTE : I said "RL acquaintance" because very few EVE players would trust just giving out a PLEX to a person they never met before for use in such a fashion, since they gain nothing overall but the other party can choose to shaft them.

If you are patient enough to read the massive amount of (mostly player-made) documentation beforehand so you'll know (very roughly) what to do when you start out skillwise and ISKwise (it's much more complicated than it sounds or seems), and if you follow the (current) tutorials and career funnel agents to get a better idea of what you can do (because just reading about it is no substitute for actually doing), you should be able to be self-sufficient at the end of those 51 days (if you put enough effort into it anyway, it's harder earlier, for obvious reasons) and already afford to buy a PLEX yourself, so you never actually have to pay a single dime to play.

Granted, however, the "officer" edition has its perks too.
For starters, you get an exclusive bonus item that can be used to grant your first created character (and sadly, only that character) a whooping +3 to all attributes (a full set of +3 attribute implants can cost up to around 50 mil ISK, and you can probably still find a PLEX for around 350 mil ISK right now - all prices are in heavy flux always though, so no guarantees) and +20% to all turret damages and -20% waiting time between missile launches... but the effect only lasts for the first 30 days of gameplay.
Still, the learning speed boost translates (eventually) in the rough equivalent of about 2 extra weeks of playtime (so you don't really miss all that much compared to a regular 14-day trial), and the DPS increase from the other effects of the item is more than welcome, especially early on, where you really need it if you're going for a mission-running career (the fastest//easiest way to self-sufficiency, but not the only one).
And of course, you get the actual box and whatever other goodies might be inside, as opposed to somebody that has nothing physically tangible... but that's not that important for some people, depends on personal preference only.
You have a point... I don't really care about having a disk. In fact I think it's more of an annoyance since it just takes up space once you install it. Unless it's not like Starcraft... I should have totally bought that game online.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
And that's why you should never set up your ship with 'everything' expensive. the bigger the loot you have, the more people will try to steal it from you...

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Kinguendo said:
linwolf said:
Eve is so awesome to read about, but so boring to play.
Yeah, I agree. I am playing Uncharted Waters Online instead because:

A) Uncharted Waters is awesome.

B) You actually have a character that walks around and such.

C) No monthly subscription.

D) You can be a pirate and steal other peoples stuff BUT its also fairly difficult to get used to so there are a couple of areas around the beginners ports that arent PVP areas.

E) As it only went into Open beta last week you dont have SUPER POWERFUL groups waiting for anyone to go into open water to kill them.

F) You choose an allegiance with a country THEN you can join a company too... even if you be a pirate you can still remain loyal to your nation, or just destroy everyone if you wish.

Added Bonus, in going to taverns you can hear NPCs talking about others players recent achievements and it gives warnings of recent pirate activity. Oh and you can chat up bar wenches whilst playing poker, not 100% sure but I dont think EVE has bar wenches and poker. :D

EDIT: I played EVE on recommendation of another Escapist, my first dislike was that it was very much just a point and click game then I just got bored after... maybe 3 days.

EDIT 2: Also, you are playing AND learning. XD

If it werent for the Uncharted Waters games I wouldnt know any geography at all, I wouldnt be able to tell you where Dover was and I LIVE in England and I have been to Dover. :D
What I would ask you is, is Uncharted Waters Online suppose to be loosely based off of the Super Nintendo game Uncharted Waters, in which the player took on the role of 1 of 6 different characters and played out their sailing adventures? If so, I'll take a look at it.

The Super Nintendo game was one of the most fun and educational games I played on the system. After you take on the role of the character, you complete the goals by slowly building up an Armada and explore the world or do whatever advances the character's story.

Obviously since UWO is an MMO, the players will create their own characters and forge their own character stories.

--------
I played Eve for a few months. It was boring but some how addictive. I only ventured into low security space once, got caught by a player space pirate who tried to ransom money from me for my release, 50 million isk. I being an honest person, told him I only had 2 million isk, then he subsequently blew me into space dust.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
What I would ask you is, is Uncharted Waters Online suppose to be loosely based off of the Super Nintendo game Uncharted Waters, in which the player took on the role of 1 of 6 different characters and played out their sailing adventures? If so, I'll take a look at it.

The Super Nintendo game was one of the most fun and educational games I played on the system. After you take on the role of the character, you complete the goals by slowly building up an Armada and explore the world or do whatever advances the character's story.

Obviously since UWO is an MMO, the players will create their own characters and forge their own character stories.

--------
I played Eve for a few months. It was boring but some how addictive. I only ventured into low security space once, got caught by a player space pirate who tried to ransom money from me for my release, 50 million isk. I being an honest person, told him I only had 2 million isk, then he subsequently blew me into space dust.
Yep, the one and only Uncharted Waters series.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
it's likely already been said, but there's an old EVE saying... "never fly what you can't afford to lose"

30 bil on a Paladin... yesh... that's just insane...

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Kinguendo said:
Sonic Doctor said:

--------
Yep, the one and only Uncharted Waters series.
Sweet, that is great to know. I'll be checking it now, my early class is canceled for tomorrow.