In-Game Habits That Leak Into Your Real Life

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Bernzz said:
My mind tries to quicksave before decisions after playing a lot of Fallout/Mass Effect, which is a fucking weird sensation.

Also, after a Grand Theft Auto IV binge, I heard something behind me and my mind tried to press in an imaginary right thumb stick to immediately switch the view to behind me, without me turning to look. Also goddamn weird.

[sup][sup]Also, recently I say and write 'goddamned' JUST like Zaeed from Mass Effect 2. I even think it in his voice, EVERY TIME.[/sup][/sup]
I've been there with the quicksave (though it happens to be mostly when I'm playing other games, either real or other video games without controlled saves).

Rarely I also find myself thinking about areas I am in as a map made by a game dev, and start trying to figure out where the loot might be. The weirder part is that sometimes when I check where I think these things are (basically, if it is enroute and wouldn't look odd checking), and then I do find stuff.

Geth2

May 3, 2012
Everywhere I go I scope out the area to see if it is worth coming back to in a Zombie Invasion.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Bernzz said:
My mind tries to quicksave before decisions after playing a lot of Fallout/Mass Effect, which is a fucking weird sensation.

Also, recently I say and write 'goddamned' JUST like Zaeed from Mass Effect 2. I even think it in his voice, EVERY TIME.
Same here on both accounts, except replace quicksaving with just saving.

If I've been playing a cover-based shooter, I often survey the area for good cover.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
After playing quite a long session of GTA IV, I did once answer my friend's request to go bowling by going "No, Roman, I do not want to go fucking bowling with you!"

Luckily he'd played GTA IV and got the reference, although he thought it was a joke.

Besides that, here and there, I'll spout the odd quote from a game.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Also, less gaming related but I try to rate my environments on how well I could do in case of a zombie invasion. You never know when that knowledge will save your life.
I do this almost constantly. I've already figured out which buildings in various parts of town would be good to hole up in, depending on where I might be when the apocalypse starts.

Daaaah Whoosh said:
When I walk through a crowd, I turn my shoulders and sometimes put my hands on people's chests, just like Altair.
This is actually quite useful for getting through crowds, which is why he does it. Thought I haven't played Assassin's Creed games in quite some time.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Bernzz said:
eventhorizon525 said:
I've been there with the quicksave (though it happens to be mostly when I'm playing other games, either real or other video games without controlled saves).
And you guys have similarly-color-schemed avatars. COINCIDENCE?!
... Yeah, probably.
Shuguard said:
i have a tendency to not jump or walk on cracks for fear i will fall through the world.
In which game does that occur?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I smash open people's crates and containers for health. I also used a crowbar as an offensive weapon and beat people to death by waving it in their face for a few seconds.

At least I did until the police got involved. (Writing this from inside the State Penitentiary.) Gordon Freeman makes it look so easy.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
The Thinker said:
Shuguard said:
i have a tendency to not jump or walk on cracks for fear i will fall through the world.
In which game does that occur?
every game that has 3-D movement. I'll make a short paranoid list:
Skyrim,
Oblivion,
any survival horror game,
Warhammer online (many, many, many times i have fallen through the world),
sw:tor( while mountain climbing),
any game that allows me to jump, therefore i'm always jumping over the cracks or away from them.

I honestly avoid cracks in real life, i do have a pretty bad fear of heights or falling.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
too much league of legends. I run into groups of people I don't belong in and fling the smallest squishiest one towards my friends so they can focus him, and then I spill my orange juice as I run away to slow them down.

nah, sorry, nothing realistic.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
People hide their pottery before I come over nowadays. C'mon, if you put your money in a jar in the corner of the room, it's mine once I smash it.

No for real, my reality/game line blurring happens mainly from Animal Crossing. See a weird looking patch of dirt and note to come back with a shovel, notice a strange looking bug and reach for my net, the wind picks up and I scan the sky for presents tied to balloons...

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
When I walk through a crowd, I turn my shoulders and sometimes put my hands on people's chests, just like Altair. Thankfully, it's only a short-term effect of Assassin's Creed playing.
You didn't turn your shoulders anyway? Easiest way to get through a crowd.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I started saying "Logging you out Shepard" when I logged out for a few months after playing Mass Effect 2

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well these days at work, one of my tasks is to put out the deliver stocks onto the shelf. The manager encourage us to rearrange the stock area and fit in as much new stocks as possible. With that in mind I tend to think of Tetris as in rearraging the products like shapes and fit in without being too cramp (I sometime hum the themetune in my head).

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I always reload after shooting someone, even if I only used one bullet.

Makes sorting and refilling the magazines a real pain.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Geth2 said:
Everywhere I go I scope out the area to see if it is worth coming back to in a Zombie Invasion.
Oh my god, so I'm not alone. Right now I know exactly what I'd do and where I would go in my town if there ever was a zombie invasion.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I think "T Shift" in my head before I speak after 1000 hours with a few people on a Minecraft server. T to open chat and shift for capital letter.

Also its not really a habit because I try to do it but I imagine quick time events. :D

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
When considering whether I should do something risky I wonder when my last save was.IRL.
Not exactly a good habit.

HarryScull

Apr 26, 2012
Reet72 said:
When considering whether I should do something risky I wonder when my last save was.IRL.
Not exactly a good habit.
this, Im getting a new gaming PC and found myself thinking "putting X part in looks tricky, I'd better quick save before doing that"

kage

May 10, 2012
After some TF2 I constantly find myself using heavy or medic's accent or yelling out demoman's kaboom taunt for no reason