Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
undeadsuitor said:
Hey is my avatar showing up for anyone else
Non-sequitor but yes, your blue lady is showing.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
Avnger said:
undeadsuitor said:
Hey is my avatar showing up for anyone else
Non-sequitor but yes, your blue lady is showing.
Okay cool. I guess I have to delete my cookies or whatever cause my desktop only shows a broken image link
Yeah I find I have to do that too whenever I update my avatar. Oddly enough the mobile site on my phone updates the avatar in real time, but for whatever reason the desktop version needs that refresh

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
vallorn said:
2 warning notices for 1 post? And nothing shows up on here or my health bar? Something seems a little bit borked.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Elvis Starburst said:
PointlessKnowledge said:
I was referring more to the general terrible attitude of people from R&P. Most of the call-out threads start from user interactions there.

To put it as a pleasant metaphor: R&P is Ipecac and WW is a toilet. Removing the toilet doesn't get rid of the oncoming vomit, and now there is no place for it to go.
Was politics ever actually a good idea to host on a gaming forum? Maybe back in the day, but in this kind of current internet and political climate, it sure doesn't sound like fun now
No, it wasn't. It probably has just as much right to be here as the shitposting forum, yet the current mods only seem to dislike one of them (no reward for guessing which one).

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
You're also going to upset the badge hunter group as they will not be able to get the Deviant badge.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
StatusNil said:
Now, you may well applaud the volunteer spirit. But it doesn't change de facto control into anything more. That's not even a judgment, merely an observation of what I understand to be the facts.
Quite honestly, anything less than a declaration from *Insert Extraplanar Entity of reader's belief here* themselves would still constitute "de facto control" in the eyes of people who already hate this place and its moderation team but still hang around for some bloody reason.

Look, I get the whole "I've been here for years! Spent so much time here!" mindset, but as I've said earlier things change and sometimes in ways you don't like. If you don't like the change, then you can leave. It's as simple as that. It's kinda like when your favorite restaurant changes something and the food's just not that good anymore. Nothing's going to bring the Wild West back in its old form short of someone hijacking the site. Maybe you might get a Wild West Lite, but now we're just like any other forum, boring and rule-abiding across all boards. You're more than welcome to make your own Wild West elsewhere, with blackjack and hookers if you want. Hell, with how easy it is to make Discord servers - while it's not as organized as a forum - you could do that.
bluegate said:
And people were concerned when Wynns Pub Club was revoked. They didn't like that PC could just be revoked like that, even if it was the PC access we were all given when the tech team left and that the mods said they'd never revoke a paid subscription. Some people who didn't even like Wynn were concerned that they just yanked his PC access out from under him.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
bluegate said:
Gauche said:
TopazFusion said:
(And before someone suggests "well too bad, people can just ignore the bullying and not visit the WW", please bear in mind that it becomes a bit difficult to ignore a call-out thread made about you when you literally see your username emblazoned on the Escapist's home page as soon as you log in, in light of WW threads appearing in the forum widget that no-one has the ability to modify.)
One could always hide it
I expected better from you 😱

Through their admin panel they have the ability to remove the Popular Forum Posts widget from the front page, it was removed from the site for a long time shortly after the Wild West came to be, actually.

How about this? Not a very elegant solution, I'll grant you that, but it would hide the specific Wild West posts from the Popular Forum Posts widget.

Code:
#forum_posts_panel span.forum_replies[onlick*=".com/forums/jump/706."],
#forum_posts_panel span.forum_replies[onlick*=".com/forums/jump/706."] + a,
#forum_posts_panel span.forum_replies[onlick*=".com/forums/jump/706."] + a + a
{
	display: none !important;
}
Damn CSS for not having a Parent selector... Guess it goes against the Cascading nature of it, but still, damn you!👺
That targets the issue better 🙇
Be sure to incorporate it in your addon if the WW ever returns 🌠

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnlives said:
You're also going to upset the badge hunter group as they will not be able to get the Deviant badge.
That badge became unobtainable when Frappe bailed. Apparently it was a badge that was manually awarded by Frappe and not something you can 'trigger' by specific actions on the site, unlike say, watching Zero Punctuation videos.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Saelune said:
Johnlives said:
That badge became unobtainable when Frappe bailed. Apparently it was a badge that was manually awarded by Frappe and not something you can 'trigger' by specific actions on the site, unlike say, watching Zero Punctuation videos.
My mistake, I thought in the thread at the time the badge arrived it was mentioned that they would happen by user action as other badges. I guess you'd know better as one of the anointed.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Dr. Thrax said:
StatusNil said:
Now, you may well applaud the volunteer spirit. But it doesn't change de facto control into anything more. That's not even a judgment, merely an observation of what I understand to be the facts.
Quite honestly, anything less than a declaration from *Insert Extraplanar Entity of reader's belief here* themselves would still constitute "de facto control" in the eyes of people who already hate this place and its moderation team but still hang around for some bloody reason.

Look, I get the whole "I've been here for years! Spent so much time here!" mindset, but as I've said earlier things change and sometimes in ways you don't like. If you don't like the change, then you can leave. It's as simple as that. It's kinda like when your favorite restaurant changes something and the food's just not that good anymore. Nothing's going to bring the Wild West back in its old form short of someone hijacking the site. Maybe you might get a Wild West Lite, but now we're just like any other forum, boring and rule-abiding across all boards. You're more than welcome to make your own Wild West elsewhere, with blackjack and hookers if you want. Hell, with how easy it is to make Discord servers - while it's not as organized as a forum - you could do that.
bluegate said:
And people were concerned when Wynns Pub Club was revoked. They didn't like that PC could just be revoked like that, even if it was the PC access we were all given when the tech team left and that the mods said they'd never revoke a paid subscription. Some people who didn't even like Wynn were concerned that they just yanked his PC access out from under him.
I usually agree with you and disagree with Nil, but hey, times are weird now.

The state of this site is too chaotic and unclear. Like, who are the mods? Used to be if a new mod happened, there would be a big notice about it. But now mods come and go without any actual warning. Apparently Tippy aint a mod anymore.

And the CoC is enforced...except when it isn't.

The mods are the top of the food chain here now. Yeah, Defy left them with a bad hand, but they have a stronger hand than I thought they did. We cannot just go 'Oh, those poor mods' anymore, since they are the defacto people in charge here now and honestly, are not doing a good job of working with and communicating with the users here.

We need to tear down the wall between users and mods, and it is not really a choice the non-mod side can make.

I am honestly unsure how I feel about the WW being closed. Yeah, it should never have been created in the first place, but closing it won't undo the damage, and the WW had its uses. One of which was the freedom to criticize the mods. Now though? I could get banned for this and be shit out of luck. And yeah, honestly, I do have a bit of fear that I might get in trouble for it. I don't believe people should fear criticizing those in power though.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnlives said:
Saelune said:
Johnlives said:
My mistake, I thought in the thread at the time the badge arrived it was mentioned that they would happen by user action as other badges. I guess you'd know better as one of the anointed.
Either Frappe or Topaz spilled the beans on it. I forget, but it was in a WW topic.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Saelune said:
Apparently Tippy aint a mod anymore.
No wonder things have gone to shit.

Saelune said:
and the WW had its uses.
How else are you going to get to call Zontar a Nazi to his virtual face?

Those threads got a lot of interaction which is exactly what a dead site needs. And Zontar seems to be able to take it.

Not the hero we deserve...

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Saelune said:
What I miss? *sips drink*
Did you deliberately choose to come back right now that the WW is gone, or was this a coincidence?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Pseudonym said:
Saelune said:
What I miss? *sips drink*
Did you deliberately choose to come back right now that the WW is gone, or was this a coincidence?
A coincidence, I swear. But it motivated me to actually post. Originally I was just passing through.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnlives said:
Saelune said:
Apparently Tippy aint a mod anymore.
No wonder things have gone to shit.

Saelune said:
and the WW had its uses.
How else are you going to get to call Zontar a Nazi to his virtual face?

Those threads got a lot of interaction which is exactly what a dead site needs. And Zontar seems to be able to take it.

Not the hero we deserve...
A major issue I have here is that alot of the times, people will say something bigoted, and go 'I dont understand why people disagree with me' and the proper response would be 'Because you're a bigot' But I cannot say that so bluntly. WW allowed the removal of pretenses.

A few times I thought about just doing a super callout thread and just be like 'You're a bigot, you're racist, you're sexist' and specify user by user. Oh well. I guess I will have to save that for my own 'FU Im out' topic, but for the time being, I still don't want to be banned.