In Regards to Wild West

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I'm sad that Saelune can no longer tell off chocolate pickles in the call out thread.

And I was waiting for to respond to the trans thread.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Saelune said:
A major issue I have here is that alot of the times, people will say something bigoted, and go 'I dont understand why people disagree with me' and the proper response would be 'Because you're a bigot' But I cannot say that so bluntly. WW allowed the removal of pretenses.

A few times I thought about just doing a super callout thread and just be like 'You're a bigot, you're racist, you're sexist' and specify user by user. Oh well. I guess I will have to save that for my own 'FU Im out' topic, but for the time being, I still don't want to be banned.
That's easy enough. Just tell them "that opinion is bigoted because..." There was even a point in the previous CoC about attacking the opinion not the person. Here it is: http://archive.is/SSJ8t#selection-1301.549-1301.840

This way you can essentially call the person a bigot, or whatever, without actually attacking them directly, only the comment. That's why people frequently complain about the passive aggresive stuff.

The Wild West was refreshing as we could skip this pretense.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Marik2 said:
Tippy is no longer a mod? I was about to PM him about this.
Tippy's RL concerns are keeping him too busy to fully attend to his Mod duties. He decided to lighten his work load so now he's helping out as a spambot whacker. We hope/expect him to return to full Mod status eventually.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Marik2 said:
I'm sad that Saelune can no longer tell off chocolate pickles in the call out thread.

And I was waiting for to respond to the trans thread.
Why? That topic made them no friends. Even people who don't like me defended me.

If anything, I'd care more to respond to StatusNil's misconception that I am going to be secretly unpunished. Cause uh, has not happened yet. I mean hey, I got a warning around the same time another user made a callout topic against me in R&P. Did THEY get in trouble? No. Thread locked, but no warning.

No, I am not in bed with the mods, certainly not these days anyways. There was a brief time where everyone was getting leniency though, but that passed.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnlives said:
Saelune said:
A major issue I have here is that alot of the times, people will say something bigoted, and go 'I dont understand why people disagree with me' and the proper response would be 'Because you're a bigot' But I cannot say that so bluntly. WW allowed the removal of pretenses.

A few times I thought about just doing a super callout thread and just be like 'You're a bigot, you're racist, you're sexist' and specify user by user. Oh well. I guess I will have to save that for my own 'FU Im out' topic, but for the time being, I still don't want to be banned.
That's easy enough. Just tell them "that opinion is bigoted because..." There was even a point in the previous CoC about attacking the opinion not the person. Here it is: http://archive.is/SSJ8t#selection-1301.549-1301.840

This way you can essentially call the person a bigot, or whatever, without actually attacking them directly, only the comment. That's why people frequently complain about the passive aggresive stuff.

Nah, I got a warning for doing that too.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Saelune said:
Johnlives said:
Saelune said:

Well, you have got yourself a reputation.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnlives said:
Saelune said:
Johnlives said:
Saelune said:

Well, you have got yourself a reputation.
Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Admittedly, the reputation goes to my head sometimes. I don't feel guilty for any of it though. There are worse reputations to have.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Y'all still need Jesus.
Black Jesus?! [https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/714JVhQfRIL._RI_.jpg] I thought it was in development hell! Its been like 3 years since the last season!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm pretty sure the rules have been amended since Defy all but abandoned the site. In any event the mods are the only ones left who can do anything. Why don't you volunteer to join the moderation team? That way you'll have a say in what goes on around here. I'd do it, but I don't want to deal with the stress.
There hasn't been any changes to the CoC, or we all would have had to re-agree again.

The mods do not, nor have they ever accepted volunteer offers to the moderation team. It's even been stated that volunteering is likely to reduce your chances.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
There hasn't been any changes to the CoC, or we all would have had to re-agree again.
Actually there has, "Low Content Posts" used to be an infraction offense, but that was removed from the CoC. That's honestly the only example I can pull from memory right now, but that's still a change, however small. Also I've had a few sites change their ToS where the continued use of the site constituted an agreement to the new ToS, so you can consider your continued usage of The Escapist forums as your agreement to the changes the CoC has undergone.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dr. Thrax said:
Drathnoxis said:
Actually there has, "Low Content Posts" used to be an infraction offense, but that was removed from the CoC. That's honestly the only example I can pull from memory right now, but that's still a change, however small. Also I've had a few sites change their ToS and the continued use of the site constituted an agreement to the new ToS, so you can consider your continued usage of The Escapist forums as your agreement to the changes the CoC has undergone.
The keyword was "since Defy all but abandoned the site." Those were part of the changes enacted by n0e a little while after he took over as CM. And we did re-agree at that time.

MrCalavera said:
I still have my "bleached" avatar saved somewhere. First time someone edited it for me, and it came out really neat.
I still have all the ones I made saved. I think yours might have been the best one I did.

Elvis Starburst said:
PointlessKnowledge said:
I was referring more to the general terrible attitude of people from R&P. Most of the call-out threads start from user interactions there.

To put it as a pleasant metaphor: R&P is Ipecac and WW is a toilet. Removing the toilet doesn't get rid of the oncoming vomit, and now there is no place for it to go.
Was politics ever actually a good idea to host on a gaming forum? Maybe back in the day, but in this kind of current internet and political climate, it sure doesn't sound like fun now
No, that's why it's cordoned off in a subforum that doesn't show up in recent posts. Shamus Young's site doesn't allow R&P discussion and the atmosphere and level of discourse over there is generally much better than here.

Johnlives said:
Saelune said:
Johnlives said:
You're also going to upset the badge hunter group as they will not be able to get the Deviant badge.
That badge became unobtainable when Frappe bailed. Apparently it was a badge that was manually awarded by Frappe and not something you can 'trigger' by specific actions on the site, unlike say, watching Zero Punctuation videos.
My mistake, I thought in the thread at the time the badge arrived it was mentioned that they would happen by user action as other badges. I guess you'd know better as one of the anointed.
I wrangled the answer out of Caramel a couple months ago

This badge was given to a handful of people if they met the criteria:

1. Had a civil, nice post in the past (could be years back depending on what post I checked out).
2. Changed personality / approach / handle on topics to serious topics because of the Wild West Forum.
3. Tried to have fun, but was mostly serious or had a dark sense of humor compared to how they usually are.

In other words, I would check out the most active users on the WW Forum, see how they were in the past by clicking on one of their old posts (again could be way back or recent), any post that existed before WW came into the picture. Then I would see how they behaved / reacted / posted in the WW, and gave them the badge based on these requirements.

I admit, I did give em out at random and some people probably deserve the badge too- but at the time, I only checked out the most active people and looked into what they needed to obtain this badge. :)

(It makes more sense if you have any knowledge on Bendy and the Ink Machine game.)

SupahEwok said:
PointlessKnowledge said:
Maybe we should have a poll that will be ignored by the mods and the CM.
Buddy, have I got news for you. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/706.1025983-Poll-Poll-Should-R-P-Continue-to-Exist?]
Dang, beat me to it!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I know a couple people have said something so I'm not quoting anyone but yes, I stepped down as Mod due to real life.

With that, the site has never announced when Mods go away (I was actually going to but I honestly couldn't figure out a way to say it without sounding SUPER egotistical so I decided to wait until someone else said it but then no one else said it so I just quietly faded away like a fart on the wind...).

I just found with the stress of what I'm going through in real life (nothing bad mind you but buying a house is stressful as fuq if you're not old as dirt like me and haven't done it yet) was affecting my ability to Mod so I felt like it was time to step away.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Just the titles from Wild West threads that came up on the "recent topics" feed showed me that it was complete and utter garbage that I wanted nothing to do with. Now the contents of that landfill are going to be leaching into the rest of the site? Lovely.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
So let me guess: With the Wild West gone, if I posted a "Falcon Punch" meme thread, it would be locked and deleted before it got any responses.

If so, well, yeah, this site's going to wind up in the shitter.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm pretty sure the rules have been amended since Defy all but abandoned the site. In any event the mods are the only ones left who can do anything. Why don't you volunteer to join the moderation team? That way you'll have a say in what goes on around here. I'd do it, but I don't want to deal with the stress.

The mods do not, nor have they ever accepted volunteer offers to the moderation team. It's even been stated that volunteering is likely to reduce your chances.
No we wouldn't have. I'm pretty sure it's been amended several times since I joined, back when we still had a staff to do that, and I don't recall ever having to re-agree to anything.

Well that's news to me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
American Tanker said:
So let me guess: With the Wild West gone, if I posted a "Falcon Punch" meme thread, it would be locked and deleted before it got any responses.

If so, well, yeah, this site's going to wind up in the shitter.
Sounds to me like if you think this is the place for dank memes you already think this place is shit.