In the event of nuclear war, what would you do?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧

[HEADING=1]INJUSTICE LEAGUE[br]ASKS[br][small]-In the event of nuclear war, what would you do? -[/small][/HEADING]​

So, the recent events between the West and Russia have led to the potential for a return to Cold War tensions and with that comes the ever-present threat of nuclear war. Now, I'm aware such a war isn't particularly likely but even so there's always some chance it may happen, some have estimated the chances of a child born today dying an early death due to nuclear war is as high as 10%.

Now, I've been doing some research over the last couple of days and what I've found is that nuclear war isn't quite as deadly as many imagine. Yes, millions would certainly die but millions more could survive... under the right circumstances. Here's a video from the Fifties which is maybe a little outdated but I feel it's advice is actually fairly sound:

Obviously, ducking and covering yourself won't protect you if you're unlucky enough to be right under where the bomb lands. If you're a few kilometres away however, shelter behind a wall or in a building could make the difference between third degree burns across much of your body and walking away nearly unscathed. Particularly of note is the advice to keep away from windows in the event of seeing the flash of a nuclear explosion, for it will likely be followed in a few seconds by a shock wave that would shatter the glass and embed the shards in your face.

The other thing I would do in the event of nuclear war would be to stay in my house for at-least two days and up a fortnight ideally. Evacuation is a possibility but risky, since everyone-else and their dog will have the same idea and it's not like many other places are going to be much safer anyhow. The reason for staying inside is that after the heat wave of the bomb has dissipated, radiation would be the highest risk to human life but nevertheless would dissipate fairly quickly. Alpha and beta radiation would be halted by the walls of a house, gamma rays not so easily, any sort of concrete or covering would help to a degree. If one had to go outside, covering up all exposed skin would help protect against the worst of alpha and beta radiation, not something I would do unless there was no other choice though. Within two weeks, 99% of the radiation would have diminished and going outside would be more feasible again.

Obviously, your location depends on how you might react in a hypothetical nuclear war. Highly populated cities and military locations in nuclear-armed countries would be most at risk, whereas rural backwaters in less threatening nations would be safer. Living near a port town in the UK, there's a good chance the nearby area would be bombed if Britain was involved in a nuclear confrontation, if I was lucky though I'd be far away enough from the blast to have a fairly good chance of initial survival. Of course, then the collapse of civilisation and a nuclear winter would likely follow but whatever.

So Escapists, what would you do in the event of nuclear war? Would you do similar to me, follow a different survival plan or just watch the world go out with a boom?

[HEADING=3]TL:DR: What would you do if the bombs went off?[/HEADING]​
[hr]

[small]-JoJo-[/small]
[small]-Captain of the Henchmen-[/small]

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Bend over and kiss my arse goodbye, which I guess if your research is right, might save my life.
In that case, I'll be proactive and play Fallout to prepare myself for life afterward.

Luckily I'm no where near any city that anyone would care to bomb.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I'm pretty sure I would be outside the blast radius of a nucleur strike. Whoever is attacking us would likely target the capital which I'm about 15-20 miles away from. Now if I happened to be in said city when it happened then I'd have a snowflakes chance in hell of survival...

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
The home humanity's children would inherit after a nuclear war would be more akin to an ash-choked mass grave. A great deal of hope for the future would be discarded in a remarkably short time by the failings of a few individuals. The reality of such a wasteland would not be living, but merely surviving.

I would find a spot where I could get a good view. Death would be certain, so why waste the opportunity to see what oblivion looks like from a front-row seat? I intend to leave with the memory of how beautiful this planet was during the seasons before it was terminated by the human species in their darkest hour.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I'd read the news from the comfort of my home, considering I'm in South America and these things only happen in cities like New York, Los Angeles or Washington, according to movies.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I wouldn't survive. I live about fifteen minutes away from one of the largest air force bases in the U.S. If I'm at school, the explosion kills me. If I'm at home, the fallout will kill me. I'm screwed no matter what!

Edit: Kinda funny, the more I think about it, my entire family (mom, dad, sister) would die in the event of a nuclear war. Three of us living near Wright-Patt and one living in the largest Air Force base in Germany.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
The only potential target I live near is one that would be targeted for sure (the city is a hub of NATO communications between North America and Europe, and also the 3ed largest port on the Atlantic coast of North America), but if a bomb was set off there I would probably either die immediately from the blast from being at my collage which is well within the blast zone, or be at home and far away from in.

Assuming I was far away, I would get into my limestone basement and wait out the fallout. I already have enough food down there to last a few weeks due to it being the place my family stores the meat we buy from my uncle and most of out other provisions already, and the limestone walls might not help but make me feel comfortable it would be safe, even if not actually so.

Given how far away I am, coupled with how the winds are, it would probably take about a few days for it to be safe to go out of my house, but assuming my windows hold I could move around freely for within. If not, I'd need to use the wood planks I have lying around to board up any/all broken windows.

After a few days I would try and make contact with some part of the government if there isn't information being broadcasted over the radio. I live near 2 bases that are not important enough to waste a nuke on since one is a supply dump and firing range, and the other is just an old training facility, though if either would be hit it would be with tactical nukes and both are downwind anyway.

Life would be shit, but I would probably be in the group that makes it. The real problem would be that the topsoil where I live would now be irradiated, so growing food would be a real problem.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wintermute said:
I'd read the news from the comfort of my home, considering I'm in South America and these things only happen in cities like New York, Los Angeles or Washington, according to movies.
Nobody wants to bomb the third world because the third world removes itself on its own :p

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
The only worthwhile target near me is the US 4th largest hydro plant, which im pretty sure would hurt Canada more so than the US. It would hurt NYC as well, but im pretty sure NYC would get hit with lots of nukes regardless. Also considering how despite having about 1,000 hydro plants, hydro still only makes up about 6% of our overall power.

Attacking my city with a nuke would probably be an upgrade....it will finally demolish all of those condemned buildings we have!

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Depends on where I am. If I'm in the city I currently live, I'm dead. As we're very close to missile bases at the US border and a world class-level virology lab is in the city.

If it's after I move out to the middle of Vancouver Island... I'm probably still alive and blocked my mountains, as long as a bomb doesn't hit Vancouver or Seattle. If it does then I'm still dead.

If I'm on the Island by then, well, I grab enough camping supplies and my family and possibly boat over to one of the smaller islands, where hopefully there aren't as many people. Or just stay where I am as it's halfway up the eastern side of the island. I don't know if I'd go north as that gets pretty close to international shipping lanes.

Whatever it was, if I wasn't dead already, I have no desire to live in a post-apocalyptic world, so my family would probably all off ourselves.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Die, probably? If there's ever an apocalyptic event the average person is far more likely to be among the dead than among the survivors.

Maybe I won't be dead initially, though. I don't think there's really anything of strategic importance anywhere near me that would justify a nuclear strike (I'm in New Hampshire, one of the most easily forgettable states in the union). But fallout from targets elsewhere would pose a significant threat, and there would likely also be a significant breakdown of federal, state, and local government which would bring with it a whole slew of other potentially life-risking problems.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Elfgore said:
I wouldn't survive. I live about fifteen minutes away from one of the largest air force bases in the U.S. If I'm at school, the explosion kills me. If I'm at home, the fallout will kill me. I'm screwed no matter what!
Out of curiosity, would that Air Force base happen to be Wright-Patterson? That probably wouldn't turn out well... :/

Esotera

May 5, 2011
It depends on whether the UK was actually targeted - if so I would probably get further away from Bristol than I currently am now and find some sort of shelter in the countryside. I have my bug-out-bag so I could survive a few days doing that. In the medium-term I would try to meet up with family or just stick with housemates, and in the long-term I think I'd be completely fucked unless I could find somewhere that could be defended & used to live off the land.

Assuming you actually survive nuclear war though, your main risk is in the long-term. You've got to survive scarce resources/competition from other survivors, and your chance of cancer/radiation poisoning is going to increase by a considerable amount.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I've read enough post apocalypse stories set in the immediate aftermath to realize even surviving the big boom, the aftermath is less than pretty as infrastructure falls either from the bombs themselves, or the panic and chaos in the aftermath. We're talking either no, or prohibitively expensive food, water, medicine, electricity, fuel, ammo and other supplies. It's not a world made for out of shape nerds, so plan A would be to get shitfaced drunk and hope the first looter will kill me quickly.

Plan B, assuming I wanted to live is get the fuck out of dodge and try to hook up with any group smart enough to realize things won't just get back to normal and we have to think about producing next year's food and clean water right now. Ideally a local farm where i can earn my keep through menial labor in food production.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Barbas said:
Elfgore said:
Out of curiosity, would that Air Force base happen to be Wright-Patterson? That probably wouldn't turn out well... :/
Nailed it. Kinda bums me out whenever I think about nuclear war and how slim my chances of survival are.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I work in the city that was 21st on Russia's nuke list, so I probably will just die instantaneously.

If by some miracle I do survive I imagine what comes next would depend on how many other people and how much infrastructure around me survived.

If it's just a matter of loss of electricity/food and water supplies then we could cope reasonably well, as there is a well nearby, and I'd basically be waiting it out for the rest of the people in the community with better knowledge/connections to sort it out.

If it's a last-man-on-earth situation then I'd start by scavenging as much food and water as possible, plastic containers, fuel etc. and then work on scavenging non essentials. Long term I'd probably be looking at fish as my primary diet, as that's quite plentiful here, and probably spend my spare time hating myself for not bothering to learn proper survival skills/how to make a geiger counter etc.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Depends if the Russians bother to hit Cardiff. It's not all that important in of itself, but Wales has historically housed fallout shelters for part of the contingency government. I'd bet on Cardiff at least getting one, possibly also Port Talbot (massive heavy industrial sector) and Bridgend (my original hometown, and where those bunkers were).

Assuming the Russians aim properly, I might survive. I'm about 2km away from the commercial centre, 3km from the industrial sector and government. Assuming I was indoors that puts me outside the probable fatal radius given the shape and facing of the buildings around here (though I'll still get a nasty dose of radiation, and probably wouldn't be able to evacuate easily).
If the russians miss, or target the Civil Government buildings in Cathays, or I'm at work when it hits, I'm very very dead.

That said, if I did survive and get out, Wales probably isn't the worst place to be. I could make it to West Wales in a few days (a week tops) on foot, and from there I'd be in a reasonably good position.
Prevailing winds off the North Atlantic, and the ridiculous amount of rain we get would reduce long term radiation doses. And the lower population means that whatever resources are left will be more sustainable. Plus no-one is going to nuke Ireland, so I either can sail there or sit on a cliff in mid-wales awaiting assistance!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
You might want to have fun with this http://www.nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ . It shows the effects of blast, put over a likely target and see if you survive