In your opinion, what was the worst game you ever played?

IncredibleKoosh

Apr 20, 2011
Quellist said:
Imo scavenging for gear is ok when your characters are not military or are supposed to have ended up in danger by accident, but Sent in with crappy weapons and no extra ammo? bad game design
Not neccesarily. It works perfectly well in MGS. As with everything, it depends if it suits the game.

Grotch Willis

May 10, 2011
DannyJBeckett said:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it yet, so I'll do it.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.

I've been a lifelong Sonic fan (I even enjoyed HALF of Sonic Unleashed), but this game just felt like a betrayal of everything Sonic was, even after he went to 3d (which I don't think was as much of a failure as everyone keeps saying).

It was slow, it was laggy, the plot was incomprehensible, many parts of the story-gameplay were unnecessary, the character of Silver was a fucking joke, the character of Elise was a fucking abomination, the loading times were absolutely colossal, the soundtrack wasn't up to much, aaaaannnd that's about it.

I will say one thing in it's favour though: Best. Eggman. Ever.
Since when did it change from Robotnik to Eggman? Its Robotnik damn it.

But the worst game i've probably ever played was Driver for the GBC. I got it for free as a kid and it was the one game that made me hate video games.

BSCCollateral

Jul 9, 2011
Pac-Man on the Atari. I've never seen a game more unpleasant to play than that.

For something more current, I'd go with X-Blades. It even fails at cheesy and amusing, and there's no excuse for that. The narrative is actually inconsistent with itself and the gameplay, and the narrative cutscenes are only about twenty minutes long.

Mungular

Dec 5, 2009
im going to have to go with naughty bear. its the only game i got no entertainment out of. at least rouge warrior gave me some laughs! haha

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
D, an old, laaaaaaaaaaaame "horror" game from PS.

Part of it's "creepiness" was supposed to come from echos of the protagonist's father calling out her name, but it was more irritating than creepy...

Laaaaaaaurrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaa...

Meh.

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
My worst game would be RollerCoast Tycoon 3 probably. I find it hard to not enjoy a game, I will either enjoy it, complete the game even if I think it is just average or just think meh. Only a few I would regard as 'bad', RCT3 being the worst of them. RCT3 was so bad because it just didn't have the essence that the previous 2 had. This is also the reason I am staying away from games like Dungeon siege 3 -.-

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
I try to stay clear of bad games. Played Too Human though. That was pretty horrible.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
IncredibleKoosh said:
Quellist said:
Imo scavenging for gear is ok when your characters are not military or are supposed to have ended up in danger by accident, but Sent in with crappy weapons and no extra ammo? bad game design
Not neccesarily. It works perfectly well in MGS. As with everything, it depends if it suits the game.
Oh granted, they could have gotten around it in many ways, even by saying the chopper crashed and they just grabbed what they could while staying alive but the makers didn't even bother to rationalise, which to me added the extra turd to the pile

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
jackpackage200 said:
Like others have said in this thread, we do not go out of our way to play terrible games. And yes it was unplayable because the things i mentioned kept it from functioning properly
Neither do I, but I think it's good to recognise they exist. I'm not trying to say Kane & Lynch 2 isn't the worst game you've played. You said it is and that's good enough. Hovever, I'm still not convinced it's unplayable.

I know this is pointless, as this thread is about the worst game you've actually played. It's the exaggration that bugs me.

doggie135

Feb 2, 2011
As a Silent Hill fan, I'm tempted to say "Resident Evil" for its horrid plot, clichéd premise, voice acting and lacking-in-fear gameplay, until I remembered that's what made it good.

So I'm going with Dead Space, because

A) It's probably going to surprise someone, who may in turn flame me

B) Because that same person probably found the plot intriguing, when in fact it felt campier than Resident Evil, albeit without the hilariously awful quality that pervades the former

C) Because it's still touted by many as scary, when it relies solely on violent visuals, jump moments and a complete disregard of subtlety

D) Because many compare it to Alien (including the developers, who cited it as prime inspiration material) despite a jump in quality.

E) As Yahtzee said, it's repetitive. Really, really, really repetitive.

By no means is this a flame post, maybe a general argument against the modern direction of Survival horror, but by no means designed to bait trolls. Perhaps I've played worse, but Dead Space seems to stick in my mind whenever this question is asked solely because I resent the turn one of my favourite genres of the 90's has taken.

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
mjc0961 said:
I can't decide whether I hated inFamous or Okami more. When I played inFamous, I felt like every single thing it did, it did wrong. But with Okami, the controls were broken to the point of the game being unplayable. One set of weapons is unusable, and if I hadn't found a different weapon when I did, I would have quit playing very early into the game. Then later, it was the combination of the extremely unresponsive brush drawings (HINT: maybe if everything wasn't a variation of a circle, it'd be easier for the game to tell what power I wanted) that needed to be used to beat a timed digging mini that required near perfection to beat that finally made me get rid of the awful game. I tried it over and over again for days. I tried all the tips all over the internet to make the game better understand the drawings I wanted. But nothing worked, and the mini-game ended in failure again and again and again due to the game being broken.

So I dunno. inFamous was extremely unenjoyable, but Okami was actually broken, and is the kind of game that should be getting those "1/__ - completely broken and unplayable" ratings and sit next to games like ET and Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing in video gaming's hall of shame.

So I guess in the end, the worst game I ever played is Okami, because it's a truly and undeniably bad game thanks to broken controls instead of just a game with no gamebreaking issues that I happened to strongly dislike.
Okami? Seriously? The game is a masterpiece, I found no flaws whatsoever when playing the game. It was original, innovative in game mechanics and art-style (that would give it at least a 7/10).

I would say InFamous is average, but not extremely unenjoyable. I prefered Prototype though.

Do you actually know what a game has to be like to deserve a 1/_- thing? "Forklift Simulator 2000".

Agarth

Jul 14, 2009
Since I haven't played any other CoDs, Call of Duty 5. The time I played it my friend was using all of the "make the game pathetically easy" secrets he knew about. Plus it was already set to very easy. Didn't have to switch out of the starting pistol or take cover. Plus Rainbow Six did "Tactical cover-based first person shooter" thing first and did it better. Plus at least Rainbow goes to third person when you take cover. I really liked that. Sure someone might say, "That's so unrealistic" or "That ruins the immersion", but I didn't know there was any realism in burning Adolf Hitler to cinders with a flamethrower, or any immersion with taking a bullet in the gut and having your face smeared with strawberry jam. Seriously the MWII/Black Ops blood effects are so, in my opinion, disturbing, cheesy, unrealistic, and obnoxious. I'm Ok with the screen fading to black and white 'cause that's probably something someone might experience after a bullet to the lung. Honestly though, Screw regenerating health. If it explains that your character has nano-tech injections or something, then I'm okay with it as long as it doesn't shrink your health pool too much. I always did prefer id games and their health meters. (Don't try to correct me, it's id not ID. Also CoD fans, Bring on the hate mail or hate replies or whatever.)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Oblivion.

I did play it for a bit. That game is the ultimate example of bad game design everywhere and how a company can still get away with it (big scenery + bloom).

doggie135

Feb 2, 2011
Life_Is_A_Mess said:
mjc0961 said:
I can't decide whether I hated inFamous or Okami more. When I played inFamous, I felt like every single thing it did, it did wrong. But with Okami, the controls were broken to the point of the game being unplayable. One set of weapons is unusable, and if I hadn't found a different weapon when I did, I would have quit playing very early into the game. Then later, it was the combination of the extremely unresponsive brush drawings (HINT: maybe if everything wasn't a variation of a circle, it'd be easier for the game to tell what power I wanted) that needed to be used to beat a timed digging mini that required near perfection to beat that finally made me get rid of the awful game. I tried it over and over again for days. I tried all the tips all over the internet to make the game better understand the drawings I wanted. But nothing worked, and the mini-game ended in failure again and again and again due to the game being broken.

So I dunno. inFamous was extremely unenjoyable, but Okami was actually broken, and is the kind of game that should be getting those "1/__ - completely broken and unplayable" ratings and sit next to games like ET and Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing in video gaming's hall of shame.

So I guess in the end, the worst game I ever played is Okami, because it's a truly and undeniably bad game thanks to broken controls instead of just a game with no gamebreaking issues that I happened to strongly dislike.
Okami? Seriously? The game is a masterpiece, I found no flaws whatsoever when playing the game. It was original, innovative in game mechanics and art-style (that would give it at least a 7/10).

I would say InFamous is average, but not extremely unenjoyable. I prefered Prototype though.

Do you actually know what a game has to be like to deserve a 1/_- thing? "Forklift Simulator 2000".
Hate to say it, but the Wii's controls certainly couldn't have helped your opinion of Okami. Quite a shame too, as the game has some genuinely good parts in it, and feels like a stylised Zelda to an extent, with a few more intriguing innovations to boot! :D

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I've played many crappy games but the one I hate the most is SSB Brawl, it should be shunned to death. Hyped up for three fucking years after hearing the name and loving Melee just to get a blocky, floaty, glitchy, poorly designed sequel. How they can fall below average after such an amazing game like Melee is beyond me.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
For me, it's Metroid: Other M.

Friends of mine probably know by now that I'm normally a fair guy. Hell, I'm nice to Hyperdimension Neptunia, which was an awful game through and through. However, it did have genuinely funny moments and the monster design was decent.

Metroid: Other M has absolutely no redeeming features. The gameplay is below average with no outstanding good points while still not falling into terrible territory and the writing is atrocious.

Vuavu

Apr 5, 2010
Hmmm. Tough one. Haha I'll go with the same answer I always give: Resident Evil 4. For lots of reasons. Also... TWO FUCKIN WORLDS. I can't believe it even got onto shelves. Why couldn't anybody see how bad it was before they started selling it? I can't imagine any kind of 'officially certified' game-tester letting something that awful just pass by. Then some sick bastard even had the gall to compare it to Oblivion.

Then... there was SOMEHOW a sequel.

Usually when you see someone laughing their ass off and simultaneously crying tears of anger, it indicates insanity. But there's a strong possibility that it could mean they just played their first hour of Two Worlds.

Hahaha mounted combat was something I've never done in a video game before so that's cool I guess. It was still clumsy though... :p

For shame, South Peak... For SHAME

70R4N

Jan 14, 2010
Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight

My god, this game is a steaming pile of shit. EA, what have you done?!

doggie135

Feb 2, 2011
Vuavu said:
Hmmm. Tough one. Haha I'll go with the same answer I always give: Resident Evil 4. For lots of reasons. Also... TWO FUCKIN WORLDS. I can't believe it even got onto shelves. Why couldn't anybody see how bad it was before they started selling it? I can't imagine any kind of 'officially certified' game-tester letting something that awful just pass by. Then some sick bastard even had the gall to compare it to Oblivion.

Then... there was SOMEHOW a sequel.

Usually when you see someone laughing their ass off and simultaneously crying tears of anger, it indicates insanity. But there's a strong possibility that it could mean they just played their first hour of Two Worlds.

Hahaha mounted combat was something I've never done in a video game before so that's cool I guess. It was still clumsy though... :p

For shame, South Peak... For SHAME
What exactly did you hate about Resident Evil 4? I'm a SH fan and for the most part resent the RE series (see above), but RE4 felt like a great game to me.

Then again, the plot...