In your opinion, what's the most overrated video game ever?

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
Obviously this isn't exactly a rare topic but I really want to know what you think is the most overrated game ever.

For me it's Final Fantasy VII. Dear god.

I've played it and enjoyed it, I guess, but I really didn't see anything that groundbreaking or amazing about it. Maybe my opinion doesn't matter because I didn't play it when it was released and I'll never understand the hype or whatever.

In any case, I can't remember the last time I saw someone who really liked the game take a break from fucking climaxing with nostalgia about it and really look at it as a game; it's merely okay. Also I played ff8 shortly after and actually liked it more contrary to my belief that I wasn't going to like it at all.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Skyrim. Holy crap Skyrim is insanely overrated, and it hasn't aged well.
First DLC was a joke.

Guild Wars 2. Holy crap... so much wrong with the game itself, and is over-haul a pretty horrible game. Good idea, good philosophy, but just came out terrible. ._. Which is sad, because I love Guild Wars 2.. well I used to.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Guild Wars 2. Holy crap... so much wrong with the game itself, and is over-haul a pretty horrible game. Good idea, good philosophy, but just came out terrible. ._. Which is sad, because I love Guild Wars 2.. well I used to.
I also vote for Guild Wars 2. Insane hype and it turned out fairly crap. It promised to reinvigorate the MMO genre, yet to me it didn't do anything that great and all the things it promised to improve just ended up being worse.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Skyrim. Holy crap Skyrim is insanely overrated, and it hasn't aged well.
I'm curious how a game hasn't aged well when it's just over a year old, complete with new content still being released? Usually when you talk of aging games it's normally in reference to games from a previous generation or something similar.

I'd say FFVII...if I had actually played more than an hour. Otherwise I'd have to nominate the original Halo. I played it on the PC a few years after release and found it to be a bland shooter with simple game mechanics. According to others, I didn't understand how revolutionary the shield restore was or the story at all. So regenerating shields were a big deal for that game, doesn't mean I can't dislike the game. Plus, Master Chief just wasn't my type of protagonist.

Other good picks would be God of War III and the Sly Cooper franchise. For Sly I played through the HD collection and was only mildly amused by the game. I may never understand why that game is a fan favorite of many.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
I also vote for Guild Wars 2. Insane hype and it turned out fairly crap. It promised to reinvigorate the MMO genre, yet to me it didn't do anything that great and all the things it promised to improve just ended up being worse.
Not only that but the combat is just terrible, and if you just take out the gimmick dodge mechanic.. It's just like WoW. I like the approach Cryptic did with Neverwinter. They made it stand-still combat, but made it feel like it had weight behind it instead of float-y-ness. Yeah, it's a little more boring, but in a sense. It's more appealing to the eyes.

The quest system? The only thing they truly changed.. THE ONLY THING. Was running back, and forth. Dynamic Events were for the most part.. a horrible idea. Well the way Guild Wars 2 did it made it horrible.

It's no longer ? + x = !
It's <3 + x = Mail.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Half-Life 2.
It's nowhere near as innovative and ground-breaking as Half-Life was.
Great game that did plenty right and brought some good ideas to the table, but it didn't exactly change what the FPS scene looked like the way the original did.

Before Half-Life you were lucky to see reloading and decent aiming in the same game.
Those have since become the norm, with iron sights often being tossed into the mix. Half-Life 2 was just a cliche sci-fi story with a great supporting side character that stole the thunder from just about everyone else (Alyx Vance) and vehicles that inexplicably felt like beach balls. An interesting trek, but really nothing that we didn't see before or have seen since.

Runners up on my list of things to shoot down are Grand Theft Auto and Bethesda RPGs.
But I'd rather light one fire than three in one post.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Not only that but the combat is just terrible, and if you just take out the gimmick dodge mechanic.. It's just like WoW. I like the approach Cryptic did with Neverwinter. They made it stand-still combat, but made it feel like it had weight behind it instead of float-y-ness. Yeah, it's a little more boring, but in a sense. It's more appealing to the eyes.

The quest system? The only thing they truly changed.. THE ONLY THING. Was running back, and forth. Dynamic Events were for the most part.. a horrible idea. Well the way Guild Wars 2 did it made it horrible.

It's no longer ? + x = !
It's <3 + x = Mail.
Hell the combat isn't just like WoW. It's worse than WoW. At least WoW required strategy and teamplay (don't know if it still does, I haven't played it for a long time). Guild Wars 2 is just a massive spam zerg fest. And yes the dynamic events are just crap and boring.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:

It's no longer ? + x = !
It's <3 + x = Mail.
Hell the combat isn't just like WoW. It's worse than WoW. At least WoW required strategy and teamplay (don't know if it still does, I haven't played it for a long time). Guild Wars 2 is just a massive spam zerg fest. And yes the dynamic events are just crap and boring.
Since did WoW really have any content that uses in-depth strategy, and teamplay? Hell.. get a good raid team together, and get a good healer. That's all you really need. That's ALL YOU EVER NEEDED. Maybe once a new dungeon is released, and people who haven't done it needed to learn the ropes.

But if you're telling your healer to heal you. He's doing his job wrong.
There's actually little teamplay needed in WoW. Never has been, never will be.

Maybe like.. "Oh the boss just crit me. Bring up the back up tank, and battle res me."
But nothing beyond that is really needed.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:

It's no longer ? + x = !
It's <3 + x = Mail.
Since did WoW really have any content that uses in-depth strategy, and teamplay? Hell.. get a good raid team together, and get a good healer. That's all you really need. That's ALL YOU EVER NEEDED. Maybe once a new dungeon is released, and people who haven't done it needed to learn the ropes.
You just answered your own question.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:

It's no longer ? + x = !
It's <3 + x = Mail.
Oh come on now. Don't be a smartass. That's not real teamplay That's just telling someone. "Hey this boss has massive AoE circles. Make sure you don't go into them"

PVE vs actual people will hardly ever have deep meaningful teamplay once everyone learned how to do it. ( I did say hardly. :b)

Seriously even when I was new to WoW I was just told what to do, and everyone on teamspeak just talked about other things. I don't think I ever been in a WoW raid where the majority of the talk was actually about the raid itself.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
ShinyCharizard said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:

It's no longer ? + x = !
It's <3 + x = Mail.
Oh come on now. Don't be a smartass. That's not real teamplay That's just telling someone. "Hey this boss has massive AoE circles. Make sure you don't go into them"

PVE vs actual people will hardly ever have deep meaningful teamplay once everyone learned how to do it. ( I did say hardly. :b)

Seriously even when I was new to WoW I was just told what to do, and everyone on teamspeak just talked about other things. I don't think I ever been in a WoW raid where the majority of the talk was actually about the raid itself.
And I still think that WoW has better teamplay than Guild Wars 2. What your own definition of teamplay is doesn't matter to me.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Later Bethesda games, they just don't have the same je ne sais quoi earlier games did.

I think FF7 is good, but most of it's enjoyment and immersion was built upon it's eye candy which hasn't aged well so anybody playing the game nowadays for the first time won't experience the game like those of us did back in the day.

Hmm HL2 might be a tad over-rated, but don't get me wrong it's a great game with alot of intelligent thought put into it's design for those willing to study it.

My personal annoyingly over rated games are these 3 shmups, mostly it's down the the genre been niche and the mainstream not understanding that the whole genre is like that not just the one or two hyped mainstream examples reviewers could be bothered to play longer than 30 minutes.

Touhou series, If many ppl on the net would have you believe Touhou invented the genre, it's the alpha and the omega and every other shmup is called a touhou clone. The reality is FAR FAR from the truth, while they are good shmups that do some unique things, most fans like them for the loli girls and story. Which is like a CoD tard only interested in the real guns and proclaiming the game to be the best and every FPS is a CoD clone.

Ikaruga, yes the game is good, but how mainstream reviewers talk about this game having unique mechanics you would think every other shmup still played like Space Invaders and Gradius. Often namedropped by reviewers because that's the only shmup they know about.

Sine Mora is the new Ikaruga, except Ikaruga was actually a good game with great ballancing for every skill level. Sine Mora however is an abortion for everything other than the most casual of play. It was the devs first attempt at a shmup and while the game has great eye candy it gets so many basic things shmuppers take for granted wrong it's just a massive troll for any serious player. Some shmup pundits said it was a great game even though they knew better thus now it's regardard as the epitome of the genre that others have to aspire to.

Why those shmup reviewers gave it a good grade I'm unsure, maybe it was because it was aimed at the casual market and they wanted ANY shmup to sell well and become mainstream. Whatever the case it's like calling Dr Jackal and Mr Hyde the greatest NES game. That said those are crap at shmups should enjoy it.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Oh go on then.

Mario 64. Horrible camera, horrible controls. As soon as the whole novelty of a 3D Mario game wears off you've got to realise that platforming is flat out superior in 2D. Feel free to disagree.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
Tanis said:
FINAL-FANTASY-SEVEN/7/VII
O lawd...is dat overrated.

Thank you very much for posting this. I didn't really agree with most of what he said because he made a lot of generalizations and made the game seem like it was always complete shit, but I still appreciate it.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Deus ex : HR.

Man was that game average . I bought it after hearing all the good comments , and was SO disappointed with that game .

It was ugly
It was boring
Adam was annoying .
It was piss easy ( i played it on hard on my first playthrough )
The plot was nonsensical
The ending sucked
The characters were forgettable

And many many more .

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
Psychonauts

Yeah, I said it
Indeed you did. Any particular reason why?

I'm curious, is all.

OT: I did not care for Halo: Reach all that much at all. I think I've finally grown out of my Halo-playing days.

Thank god.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
krazykidd said:
Deus ex : HR.

Man was that game average . I bought it after hearing all the good comments , and was SO disappointed with that game .

It was ugly
It was boring
Adam was annoying .
It was piss easy ( i played it on hard on my first playthrough )
The plot was nonsensical
The ending sucked
The characters were forgettable

And many many more .
I'll go with that^.

The-Traveling-Bard said:

But if you're telling your healer to heal you. He's doing his job wrong.
There's actually little teamplay needed in WoW. Never has been, never will be.

Maybe like.. "Oh the boss just crit me. Bring up the back up tank, and battle res me."
But nothing beyond that is really needed.
Well, I can't speak for Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria, but I know Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King had a plethora of raid fights that required a huge amount of teamwork/coordination. Vashj/Kael/Sunwell/Yogg-0 required crazy amounts of coordination/tactics when they were current.

Newtonyd

Apr 30, 2011
The Dragon Warrior series.

I've played like 4 of them, and each one I got so bored I actually quit the game. Understand, since I complete just about every game I start, including some very shoddy games, that's pretty damning. I can't understand how those games are still being produced. It's like someone decided to cut all the story and personality from a 90's JRPG, but keep the clunky and boring turn-based fighting mechanics, then copy and paste them over and over into new games.

Also Eve Online.

Seriously, how does Spreadsheets: The Game get as many subscribers as it does? All Eve does is stand in the genre's door, blocking more interesting space MMOs.