In your opinion, what's the most overrated video game ever?

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I would say FF7 but after seeing all the hate I think it needs to be labeled as underrated. On topic, Half Life 2 but I'm not a shooter fan so of course I don't like that game(this is a complaint outside of it being a shooter, I hated how they did cutscenes in that game, I know they aren't really cutscenes but it was pretty much a cutscene that aloud you to move the camera around a small room during it.)

HalfUlsterOtaku

Aug 30, 2012
Pokemon's first generation. The mechanics were primitive even for their time, the Pokemon sprites in R/B looked awful (but Yellow fixed things up) and the fans. Oh dear God, the fans. T_T

Adamc-mh

Jun 6, 2010
Pokemon Red and Blue, a good concept just incredibly poorly implemented. And I just don't understand the hype and love for the Legend of Zelda Franchise - granted I've only played four games from the series.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I'd have to say Portal 2. I haven't played Portal, but I wanted to go ahead and play Portal 2 last summer when I saw it on sale. I thought it was a good game, with really good and funny writing...but the way some people talk about it, you'd swear gaming couldn't get better than that.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
reiem531 said:
ITT: Great games and people who like having unpopular opinions.
You mean popular games that could be over-rated. We know a lot of things that are popular aren't as great as people make them out to be.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Adamc-mh said:
Pokemon Red and Blue, a good concept just incredibly poorly implemented. And I just don't understand the hype and love for the Legend of Zelda Franchise - granted I've only played four games from the series.
Nostalgia goggles, they override rationality but I can't deny some of the charm.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Probably Ocarina of Time I just dont see why people think its so good I played it on release and again a few years back and it was ok each time I personally dont think its even the best Zelda game but it seems to repeatedly win best game ever awards im just perplexed, I tried to get my Zelda obsessed friend to explain why its so good but he dosent think its the best Zelda game either so I dont know.

Its good but geez talk about overhyped.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Angry Birds. Before it came out, I'd played many games just like it, some of which arguably better. Maybe it's just popular because of its extreme accessibility. It's not a bad game, but it's not the best minigame/app game out there.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Ever thought that something ends up 'overrated' because a lot of people liked it?

I dislike the "I am the grand arbiter of taste and everyone else is a sheep" attitude that gets thrown up whenever the word 'overrated' rears it's ugly head.

'Good' and 'Bad' are not 'objective' qualities; I know people have a tendency for hyperbolic language, but if something actually makes someone feel that way, then surely it deserves it's high praise?

Totally different thing to being 'overrated' by reviewers, though, that I'll admit.

So basically what I'm being told here is that everything I like is 'overrated' and I should be ashamed of myself for daring to enjoy such rot. Nice to know that we gamers are a bunch of pleasant, rational people.

For chrissakes.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was never, at any point, the 'best game of all time'. By modern standards, it's actually rather terrible, and there are far older games than it that have aged with much more grace. Hell, it was never even better than its predecessor. Seriously, go back and play A Link to the Past. It's still good, and the reason it's still good is because it isn't riddled with idiotic gimmicks and terrible controls.

What gets me, though, is that the controls in Ocarina of Time didn't have to be terrible. Super Mario 64 was airtight in the control department, nowhere near the combination of "stuck in glue" and "always wearing roller skates" that plagued Ocarina.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
Ever thought that something ends up 'overrated' because a lot of people liked it?

I dislike the "I am the grand arbiter of taste and everyone else is a sheep" attitude that gets thrown up whenever the word 'overrated' rears it's ugly head.
This is perfectly fine, aslong as the judges also have the courage to call the game in question, shit.
Then you can have a discussion about games, which alternative title in the genre they would recommend instead, etc.

Instead we get a string of with very bland, safe opinions falsely presented as being edgy and contra.
There's nothing to discuss when a "most overrated videogame ever" is described decent, fun or even "good".

This would mean that almost every member in this thread is just one small step away of agreeing with all the high ratings, like a good drone. Not a single one who has the independence to declare something shit.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Batman: Arkham City.

I honestly think that the one good thing to come out of the recent Batman games is the fighting mechanic (or more specifically, the fighting animation) as pretty much everything else (story, costume redesign, art direction, ect.) was shit.

Now, that is not to say that I didn't enjoy the first few minutes of the game, I actually thought the initial story had potential. But, sadly, that flew out of the door the minute the story got going. I want to go on about how terrible the character redesigns were and how flawed the story was and how stupid "the world's greatest detective" acted, but I am tired.