Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Rylan

Feb 12, 2010
Space Jawa said:
I have to say, even if what Rylan's been doing did get him disqualified, I can't help but be amused at his ability to take it in stride, enjoy the ride, and milk it for all its worth.
And Milk it I will ^_^

(I can't take credit for the joke... but it fits the image too well not to use it)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
GamerPhate said:
aeroz said:
V Gray said:
My name is Vincent Gray, and I've been making web comics for a while now.
Doing two comics a week is a lot, seeing most webcomic artist only produce one per week.
When I first started I could only make one per month, but it gets easier every time.
Please ask your self can you continue writing two jokes a week? Can you produce your art quickly? If no then it may be to soon for you.
I fear the one that dose get the job will burn out of ideas quickly.
I agree with your concern, and also the issue of quality. I am actually entering average comics rather then my best because I want to show what I can consistantly do. Probably not the best approach to win, but is the best if you want to continue. Otherwise as you said, you'd burn out, quality will tank, ect.

Though in a way this contest itself does help with that. Two weeks left to enter, if someone cant manage manage four strips then they couldn't if they got the contract anyways. But if they can, and it was something they were comfertable doing, then good chance they can into the near future
That was my fear as well. With a month to prepare, the first one is going to be AWESOME! But can the 2nd and 3rd one be of the same level? I have been racking my brain about TIME versus Quality, and I think I found a happy medium. I wish I had more time to make it look even better, but I have to realize that they are going to need to be constant. So there for instead of focusing on making them all pretty and artistic, I am focusing on content and character development. But 2 a week will be taxing, but I am up for the work. I am a layed off work IT tech that has been searching for work for over a year. So this would the kind of thing I would love to do.
Well that's made me a fair bit more confident, I got consistant quality throughout my four strips within 8 days, including time I took thinking up the idea and creating the characters from scratch...

Then again, those who know me here or on the Art thread know that I'm some-what quick abotu character designs.

I'm not trying to say "Hah! you guys are panicking while I'm already done!" I'm panicking too xD
As much as I impressed even myself with how quickly I managed to create my strips to a fairly decent maintainable quality I have doubts about how long I can carry a series doing it twice a week...

Although saying that I've been doing comics on-line as a hobby for nearly 7 years... So I guess I'm just more used to it than some...

I think what I'm trying to drive at here is, it's a worrying concept for a lot of people here about whether they can conceivably carry a series so consistently. But I'm sure once the winner is settled in, It'll become virtually second nature and the process of creating the strips will get so much easier as they develop short-cuts like everyone does.

It'd probably be a good idea for those who enter to brainstorm a few ideas that they can carry with them in the event that they win, so that at least have something to go with while they get comfy.

AniMerrill

Feb 13, 2010
Is there any chance I could get the text portion of my entry reset? I was a little confused and I thought it was a Question Box for some reason... and I definitely need that to explain the concept for my comic... Please and thank you~

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Yes,I shall join this wondrous contest so I can get paid to do stuff I enjoy making!SQUEEEEEE!

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
hello again everyone. well only a few more weeks to go, and the whole experience has been more about the planing process rather then the comics. oh I've done that too, but I've scrapped my previous work for a more traditional idea. my original Idea would have forced me to be a shut in, trying to make the dead line.

It probably would have been better if the employer would have asked for a balance in schedule. say if the comic is of simple design then two per week it reasonable, or One complex comic per week. This don't give you much options.
shamus young's work is more about the jokes then the art, so it's reasonable for him, but for someone like me who has to draw my work one comic per week is how I would have to do it, to prove my point, this is what some one like penny arcade or vg cats would do, and thats my style. I've just thought of an Idea were I can draw and produce 2 a week, and not kill myself, so I'm good. I just got to think of the last joke.

I've also had to plan a schedule for this job, I though up my time would be divided like this, two days of drawing, two days of computer art, then the last day would be for writing, or other stuff, this will also give me a two day weekend. VG cast scott said he spends roughly 9 hours on the art then another 9 hours of the computer art.

I've also come to a decision about this contest early on. to me it really doesn't matter if I win or lose this contest, I'm working towards my dream too have a job were I can draw all day, If I dont win then I'll find another way, most webcomic artist made it by themselves. I have my own site it's just a pain to draw comics and manage a web site at the same time. I see this more of a learning experience then anything else. I'm doing this because I love to draw and make people laugh.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
aeroz said:
should we watermark the comics when we enter? we weren't sure if we should slap our names on the strips or not
You don't have to watermark them.

Gallimaestro said:
Hello, I've been viewing this website for at least a solid year, mostly through Zero Punctuation and Movie Bob.

I've been a decent reader of various webcomics, seen them come and go while others remain consistant and dabbled in some webcomics of my own and looking for a fresh start that may hopefully get some side income.

That being said, I'm entering this contest. I just need to know a couple things, I've already seen answers to other questions.
~snip~
Comedy or Action Comedy acceptable? I've learned from reading webcomics that some people hate long story arcs, can't say I blame them BUT it can leave the reader wanting more and could help in longevity too. I think I've seen somewhere in this thread a comic page could be bigger than four panels, but I understand it's better not to push it.
Yup, Comedy or Action Comedy are perfectly acceptable.

2. The royalty thing kind of bugs me, though the winner gets paid for making the comic s/he wont see profit from any merchandise? What if say the artist sells merchandise from the winning comic in say artwork requests, bumper stickers, comic anthologies, or T-shirts on their own accord, is that allowed? Maybe promoting the Escapist as well just to be fair?
That will all be part of your contract if you win. Also we aren't going to make merchandise of any content on a whim, regardless of whether someone wins or not. It would look bad to sell merchandise and just leave the creator out in the cold.

kawaiiamethist said:
Emerwyn said:
The contest ends on February 28th. I highly doubt they'd change it without telling us. ;)
I'm aware of this, which is why I am concerned to not see advertising anymore.
No, it's still running. It's just not on the front page anymore because of the Aliens vs. Predator Battle that is taking place.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
AniMerrill said:
Is there any chance I could get the text portion of my entry reset? I was a little confused and I thought it was a Question Box for some reason... and I definitely need that to explain the concept for my comic... Please and thank you~
You should be able to re-enter your comic description now.

Emerwyn

Feb 14, 2010
Liam Blacker said:
umm by art does it mean an entire comic or can it be a short one like 3 frame
It can be 3 frames, yes. It can even be nine! Each piece of art is basically an example of what your comic pages will look like.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
Oh boy, tried to power through the thread to make sure I don't ask any more repeat questions, I think this hasn't been asked yet. Profanity, is it a problem? Simple cursing like cr@p, sh!t, d!ck, b@stard, etc. I'm not talking the whole comic is that, but I'm just wondering about stuff like that. Or even just words like pen!s, vag!na, f@ggot, etc.

Had a joke with a punchline that I wasn't sure if it was a gray area. It's not talking about sex, but it's still using words like those mentioned above.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
toadking07 said:
Oh boy, tried to power through the thread to make sure I don't ask any more repeat questions, I think this hasn't been asked yet. Profanity, is it a problem? Simple cursing like cr@p, sh!t, d!ck, b@stard, etc. I'm not talking the whole comic is that, but I'm just wondering about stuff like that. Or even just words like pen!s, vag!na, f@ggot, etc.

Had a joke with a punchline that I wasn't sure if it was a gray area. It's not talking about sex, but it's still using words like those mentioned above.
There is no rule against the use of swearing but anything can be overused.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
How should we go about entering if we've teamed up with another person? Should we simply make sure to include their name in the description and say which part each individual is doing (along with their Escapist User Name if they're a member here)? Or is there some other way of going about it?

AniMerrill

Feb 13, 2010
H
paulgruberman said:
AniMerrill said:
You should be able to re-enter your comic description now.
~phew~ Many thanks to you kind sir~ You don't have any idea how worried that had me. :D

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
Thank you Spinwhiz for answer my question and the many other questions posted here.

Thank you for putting up with us all and our questioning nature. Looking forward to seeing the results of this contest! (and if the escapist will ever try it again!)

AniMerrill

Feb 13, 2010
LACKT said:
Are you guys going to post everyone's submissions during or after judging?
I would assume, and this is just an assumption, that they'd probably only be able to really post people's submissions whom they gave permission to post: e.g. pretty much the winner who gets a shiny ironclad contract and nobody else because that could get them into some pretty weird legal trouble with people who don't appreciate infringement of a technical copyright they own over their work which they're particularly cranky about because they didn't win.

That's what I suspect anyway, I could be wrong.

Ivankov

Feb 6, 2010
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but the thread is huge now. I'm wondering about the size restrictions you put up on the front page (650 x 1280 or something like that). Is that the maximum size of the entire comic, or is that the maximum size of the individual panels?

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Yeah,there would be angry non-winners but getting their stuff posted would still be free advertisement of their work.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
AniMerrill said:
I would assume, and this is just an assumption, that they'd probably only be able to really post people's submissions whom they gave permission to post: e.g. pretty much the winner who gets a shiny ironclad contract and nobody else because that could get them into some pretty weird legal trouble with people who don't appreciate infringement of a technical copyright they own over their work which they're particularly cranky about because they didn't win.

That's what I suspect anyway, I could be wrong.
Actually, as I interpret it, the contest rules give them permission to use anything submitted for purposes of stuff like advertising, so they'd completely be able to post the loosing entries if they wanted.

However, I have a suspicion they won't post the full loosing entries simply because that would give free advertising to anyone who wanted to try to take their loosing entry and try to make something of it anyway. Why give free advertising to potential new competitors of the comic that they want people to be reading here?