Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Matthew Forde

Feb 15, 2010
thecaptainof said:
I think some of the best webcomics I've seen were drawn using a mouse in MS Paint. Now, I'm pretty sure that sort of thing would stand no chance of winning or even being considered on a site that's actually got an audience and standards and such, but I might give it a go anyway because... well, why not. I couldn't draw well even if someone held a gun to my head (no, really, I've seen quadruple amputees with more artistic talent than me), but I'd like to think I can structure a joke.
Have you seen the examples they have given? XKCD is stickman and it is so awesome I wouldn't be surprised if it had more regular viewers than the escapist. XKCD is the hieght of standards, a comic only needs to not distract from the element that it is purposely provided for, e.g. A comidic comic needs to make sure the drawings are not overly detailed, they can be well drawn and given huge amounts of time and effort but if they distract from the comidic diologe/comidic picture (delete inaplicable) then the benefit is lost.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Space Jawa said:
How should we go about entering if we've teamed up with another person? Should we simply make sure to include their name in the description and say which part each individual is doing (along with their Escapist User Name if they're a member here)? Or is there some other way of going about it?
Have one of you submit but make sure they are mentioned in the summary or somewhere in the panels.

LACKT said:
Are you guys going to post everyone's submissions during or after judging?
We are waiting to see the entries we get before we make a final decision on that.

Ivankov said:
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but the thread is huge now. I'm wondering about the size restrictions you put up on the front page (650 x 1280 or something like that). Is that the maximum size of the entire comic, or is that the maximum size of the individual panels?
Per individual panel.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
toadking07 said:
Thank you Spinwhiz for answer my question and the many other questions posted here.

Thank you for putting up with us all and our questioning nature. Looking forward to seeing the results of this contest! (and if the escapist will ever try it again!)
You are very welcome! :)

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
AniMerrill said:
LACKT said:
I would assume, and this is just an assumption, that they'd probably only be able to really post people's submissions whom they gave permission to post: e.g. pretty much the winner who gets a shiny ironclad contract and nobody else because that could get them into some pretty weird legal trouble with people who don't appreciate infringement of a technical copyright they own over their work which they're particularly cranky about because they didn't win.

LACKT said:
We are waiting to see the entries we get before we make a final decision on that.

Thanks for the answers!

AniMerrill

Feb 13, 2010
Space Jawa said:
AniMerrill said:
I would assume, and this is just an assumption, that they'd probably only be able to really post people's submissions whom they gave permission to post: e.g. pretty much the winner who gets a shiny ironclad contract and nobody else because that could get them into some pretty weird legal trouble with people who don't appreciate infringement of a technical copyright they own over their work which they're particularly cranky about because they didn't win.

That's what I suspect anyway, I could be wrong.
Actually, as I interpret it, the contest rules give them permission to use anything submitted for purposes of stuff like advertising, so they'd completely be able to post the loosing entries if they wanted.

However, I have a suspicion they won't post the full loosing entries simply because that would give free advertising to anyone who wanted to try to take their loosing entry and try to make something of it anyway. Why give free advertising to potential new competitors of the comic that they want people to be reading here?
Aha! Well, that makes sense and I could have missed the wording that said that... for me, I don't mind, but mainly because I was kind of hoping for the free advertising for my already existing web comic if someone liked my style... even if I didn't win.

But like you said, that could be a problem in itself.

@LACKT No problem, glad to be of service ;D

JLrep

May 8, 2009
This is a bit unclear to me.
"We would like to see a full width comic to maintain this quality..."
Does that mean you WANT comics to hit the maximum width of 650 pixels? Or is any size within 650 fine?
Likewise, would something like 650x300 be potentially acceptable?

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
JLrep said:
This is a bit unclear to me.
"We would like to see a full width comic to maintain this quality..."
Does that mean you WANT comics to hit the maximum width of 650 pixels? Or is any size within 650 fine?
Likewise, would something like 650x300 be potentially acceptable?
While we would like to see entries at 650 pixels wide, we ask that none of the entries are over that in width of over 1280 in length. So, yes, 650x300 would be acceptable.

Scout Kubin

Feb 15, 2009
Just to be sure: by "4 pieces of art, which can be divided into however many panels you want" it's meant that a submission consists of 4 individual comic strips and the logo?

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Finally sent my submission,making up full 5 colored pages of content in 5 days was a bit jarring...All I can do now is wait.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
still got plenty of time, not like you had to do it in five days. Though I know how it can be when you get those creative urges. Got mine in too, just hoping I didn't make a mistake. My main doubt is that there will be someone out of nowhere submitting something that steamrolls everyone, including my own. Figure it will either be that, or a realy close top 3

Ritzbot

Feb 12, 2010
Is this thread an appropriate place to share advice on the comics-making process? I am always interested in learning how to improve my work and in sharing my experience with others. My worries are twofold: first, this thread seems more related to official rules than to general advice; second, the fact that this is a contest may cause many, if not all, to refuse to improve other competitors' chances.

In any case, here's some advice on writing: always keep your audience in mind. Nothing will kill a presentation of any type faster than the audience saying, "I don't get it," or "I don't care." One great thing about this contest and this thread is that we are here because we are part of the target audience, so we can look to ourselves for inspiration.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
aeroz said:
still got plenty of time, not like you had to do it in five days. Though I know how it can be when you get those creative urges. Got mine in too, just hoping I didn't make a mistake. My main doubt is that there will be someone out of nowhere submitting something that steamrolls everyone, including my own. Figure it will either be that, or a realy close top 3
Oh,I just did it in 5 days to simulate being in a real work schedule and passing it before the deadline just in case changes must be made before publishing.

MassMutilation

Feb 20, 2010
I hear many complaints of an ability to write, but not draw. I like to think I can do both, but I'm most certainly an illustrator first. So if anybody needs some concepts drawn up; I'll be happy to do some.

F-W

Nov 10, 2009
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is there an age requirement? 'Webcomic contract' sounds like something you'd need to be 18 for in the US. :/

Ivankov

Feb 6, 2010
Yes, I`m also curious about that. Would a comic composed of 4 panels equal 4 `pieces of art?`
Or should I still include 4 comic `strips?` Just want to make absolutely sure. Also, if the height restriction is per individual panel, then would it be alright to create a 4-panel comic strip that spans 2 across and 2 down, equaling a height of 2560? Please let me know. Cheers.

jimothy_

Feb 5, 2010
F-W said:
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is there an age requirement? 'Webcomic contract' sounds like something you'd need to be 18 for in the US. :/
There was one person who asked about entering at age 16; it was noted that a parent/guardian would need to be in on the contract negotiations. As long as the law doesn't preclude it, I don't think the contest rules out anyone based on age.

Spinwhiz said:
Ivankov said:
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but the thread is huge now. I'm wondering about the size restrictions you put up on the front page (650 x 1280 or something like that). Is that the maximum size of the entire comic, or is that the maximum size of the individual panels?
Per individual panel.
Ivankov said:
Yes, I`m also curious about that. Would a comic composed of 4 panels equal 4 `pieces of art?`
Or should I still include 4 comic `strips?` Just want to make absolutely sure. Also, if the height restriction is per individual panel, then would it be alright to create a 4-panel comic strip that spans 2 across and 2 down, equaling a height of 2560? Please let me know. Cheers.
I think when Spinwhiz said "panels" in that response, he meant "images." (Per image as opposed to collective size for all the images, which has been specifically asked earlier in the thread.) The accent seems to be on four "images" or four "pages of content," stated a little more clearly in one of his earlier responses:

Spinwhiz said:
[...]We want 4 strips, whether they are single frame or multi-frame, that is up to you but there has to be 4 total submissions. For example, if you look at the Stolen Pixels [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/7097-Stolen-Pixels-164-Rollie-the-Roleplayer], each one of Shamus's comics would be considered 1 image, yet it's multiple frames. We want 4 of those, which in turn would give us 4 pages of content. :)

Grigori361

Apr 6, 2009
LACKT said:
Man,I hope I win,I need to get out of my mom's basement!
That my friend would be potentially epic material for a comic, I have sense of humor, but I can neither write not draw, so this is a bit closed off to me.

mynameissqrat

Feb 3, 2010
I myself can Draw, Ink, and Write. In fact I have a comic I wanna submit (however lack the ability to color it because I happen to not be good at it.) However I am going to submit my work wheather it be in black and white or not, but if anyone feels they need an artist, contact me. I'll gather up some of my pices for you. :)